Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #61
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your pre-trip report. I hope you and your kids have a wonderful, magical trip.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #62
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemom17 View Post
Been reading and I might have missed up but when are you surprising DD and how?

I surprised my kids the first time we went (the week after thanksgiving) I told them on thanksgiving day that I wanted to give them one of their presents early but they had to hunt for it. I did a scavenger hunt with Clues...even when they got the last clue it took them awhile to figure out we were leaving for disney in 2 days.
I am telling her the day that we leave. We leave on Sunday 11/21 and have a 1:40pm flight, so we'll get up and do our normal Sunday morning routine until after breakfast. Normally we get up and I shower and bathe both children, then make and serve breakfast. Then after breakfast, we get dressed for church. Once breakfast is done, I'll let her know I have something for her that came in the mail.

Another poster mailed us a post card from Disney with a note from Tiana (dd's favorite princess) telling her what a good girl she has been through all that has happened this year, how much I love her and her brother. Then it finally says, "Your mom is bringing you and Elijah (ds' name) to see my friends and me this week..your bags are packed so just get on the plane...can't wait to meet you." Love Tiana.

I'll have the camcorder running while she reads it.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #63
jillyb
DIS Veteran

What a great way to surprise them!

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #64
Racemom17
Mouseketeer

Enjoy the surprise...that expression is almost as precious as the first time she sees the castle.

My kids are older now and have me pegged...I don't think I could hide a Disney trip if my life depended on it.

Racemom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #65
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Well, I'm feeling pretty good about our trip after tonight. I took the children to UNC for a women's basketball game. First game of the season and first game back for one of the players who battled Hodgkins Lymphoma last season.

What does that have to do with the trip? Well, tonight, ds met this guy. And he liked him.

Whoever was in the suit was great. Approached him slowly, sat down so he wasn't towering above him and was really gentle when he finally did touch him. Ds had a great smile.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #66
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

I can't wait to see their reaction!!!!! I hope you plan on posting it. My DD needs the computer, so I will be back on later.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #67
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Wow, ds is 10 months old and we leave in 11 days. Tomorrow I get to do online check-in.

Wow…just wow.

Guess it is time to start getting that large pile of stuff in the walk-in closet into the suitcase.

I am earning my vacation for sure. Due to an upcoming deadline I had to put in 5 hours of work after I put the children to bed. I am so sleepy one of my eyes feels like something is in it.

Oh well, OT means more spending money.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #68
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
Wow, ds is 10 months old and we leave in 11 days. Tomorrow I get to do online check-in.

Wow…just wow.

Guess it is time to start getting that large pile of stuff in the walk-in closet into the suitcase.

I am earning my vacation for sure. Due to an upcoming deadline I had to put in 5 hours of work after I put the children to bed. I am so sleepy one of my eyes feels like something is in it.

Oh well, OT means more spending money.
I'm am doing the same thing, but going in early so I can clear most of my desk off and not have any worries on my brain while I am in WDW. I claim that my cell phone just doesn't work down there. DH on the other hand is self-employed and needs to keep up on things - his only rule is not in front of me - I don't want to hear it.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #69
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Well, online check-in is done.

I am going to really enjoy this vacation. Work is stressful right now, to the point I'm ready to find a college to go to so I can change careers.

Add in I have a 40 minute commute on the interstate after dropping 2 children off every morning and have been a contractor there for over 2 years, I am about at my end.

After this vacation it is probably time to make a change. As the children get older I feel I am going to need to be closer to home and being alone now, I don't want to work that far from home. They've been accommodating of my situation and I'm good at my job and I hate the process of looking, but after this vacation I'm going to take the 3 months my contract just got extended to look for another opportunity.

But enough negativity. Online check-in is done. When I wake up, I'll be doing the single-digit dance.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #70
ericamcl
DIS Veteran

I just found your PTR, but wanted to say that I admire your strength and resolve with the things you've faced.

I'm hoping for LOTS of pixie dust for you and your kiddos!
May 1994 DH w/ family - Contemporary August 1994 Me w/ family - Off site June 2005 Me w/ family-Wilderness Lodge March 2008 w/ DH- POFQOctober 2008 w/ DH & my family - POR February 2010 w/ DH and Nieces-BLT September 2011 w/ DH- BLT MK VIEW! December 2012 - SSR/VWL split stay w/ DHSeptember 2013 BLT-Theme Park View w/ DH & my family
ericamcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #71
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
Well, online check-in is done.

I am going to really enjoy this vacation. Work is stressful right now, to the point I'm ready to find a college to go to so I can change careers.

Add in I have a 40 minute commute on the interstate after dropping 2 children off every morning and have been a contractor there for over 2 years, I am about at my end.

After this vacation it is probably time to make a change. As the children get older I feel I am going to need to be closer to home and being alone now, I don't want to work that far from home. They've been accommodating of my situation and I'm good at my job and I hate the process of looking, but after this vacation I'm going to take the 3 months my contract just got extended to look for another opportunity.

But enough negativity. Online check-in is done. When I wake up, I'll be doing the single-digit dance.

Take some relaxing quiet time while the kids sleep for yourself to think. Someone commented to me the other day that I always get very stressed out about my job every year right before we go to WDW. It was like a light bulb over my head...yes I do...

However, as a working Mom that is a long commute and on top of it juggling two young children - that adds to the stress. But if you can handle all that you have been through as you have described to all of us, you can do this to and your family deserves it. Take this time though just to enjoy the moments with your children!!! The only thing I have planned out for our trip is our ADRs otherwise we relax and go with the flow (don't flame me DISers - but to much of my life is scheduled - this is where I get away from schedules and we see and experience what we get in).

Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #72
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Baby Tips in WDW

Okay...it's been a few years, so let me jog the memory here. Not in any particular order here are some of the things I really remember:

1. You have a good stroller, which is good but will be challenging when getting on and off a bus with a baby in your arms. Ask the bus driver for assistance (I don't know if they are allowed) or see if there is someone in line that can assist you. I had one time where I decided to leave DTD with DD4 (then 8 mos) and tried to get on the bus with a stroller and DD in my arms with a diaper bag on my shoulder - it wasn't a pretty sight and no one offered to help. Finally, someone came and helped me out otherwise there was no way - my arms were to full.

2. Bring dish detergent (keep it in a zip lock bag in your checked in luggage so it doesn't leak) so you can wash baby bottles in your room. WDW does not have it there and will not wash these items for you.

3. Get to parades early and get your spot if they are important to you. When my DD4 was that little she was a character magnet at the parades! We have some great video! Be aware that some people get rude in WDW and don't hesitate to think that they won't try to push your stroller out of the way.

4. I don't know if you are planning mid-day breaks because of the inconvenience of having to go back and forth on a bus. But there are some quiet places you can find in the park and just relax a little.

Okay, I know nothing genius but my DD4 also was sick 1/2 our trip (the water there did not agree with her) so a lot of my tips may be things your not worried about (extra clothes for DS in case of accidents leaking through the diapers, extra shirt for me in case baby vomitted all over me, etc.). Plus, you are used to the different temperature changes and seem to travel with them already.

Oh...one more for your DD get a hot chocolate and chocolate covered Mickey rice krispy treat before walking over to see Osborne's Family Lights (if she likes that kind of stuff)...it made it so Christmas-y for us.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #73
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your tips.

I will remember the dish soap. That worked really well on our last vacation. That treat before the Osborne Lights sounds yummy.

For the bus I actually plan to fold the stroller as soon as we get to the stop and have ds in his Ergo and use a backpack for a diaper bag so I will have my hands free. I usually try to travel with the notion that no one will help me. I'm going to try to limit any purchases to things I can just put in the backpack or just stick to the resort gift shop. Going to have dd bring her backpack too.

I put ds in his Ergo all the time. He's going through this stage of leaning back really far, which makes carrying him quite awkward. I love that carrier. When we went to Homecoming a couple weeks ago I got us a hotel room. I had to make a couple of trips back and forth to the van to get everything (groceries and our stuff) to the room and I had him strapped to me in it the whole time. Thankfully they had the luggage carts.

I had a snugli when we went on vacation in June. Thankfully the hotel also had the luggage carts as I brought everything but the kitchen sink on that trip. I strapped him to me, loaded up the cart and pushed it from the van to the room and back. Last trip I had to get on my hands and knees in the back of the van to get something. I looked at him and he had the funniest "I hope you know what you're doing" look.

I planned on us taking our midday break near the parade Route so we would have a good spot, but some of the stuff I'm reading on here makes me wonder if I even want to bother with parades at all. I can stay home and deal with that kind of stuff. We'll try on Monday and see how it goes. But I do plan to take about 90 minutes to just rest each day around the same time. That combined with our meal times should give us enough time off our feet.

You're right I won't be going back midday as my son won't sleep more than an hour and my dd would drive me crazy. That and we are not a late night bunch so the midday break then park til closing touring style won't work for us. Dd is a bit of a night owl, but after a certain time she needs to be chilling out.

And with the crowds that are expected, I want to do early rising, early resting, with the exception of Tuesday/Wednesday. Wednesday I only have World Showcase planned and since it doesn't open until 11:00, we'll try to sleep in some, or at least I'll let dd sleep in. Ds has not slept past 7am once in his entire 10 months. We're doing Epcot Tuesday afternoon/evening, so I am toying with the idea of seeing Illuminations that night.

I was in the kitchen this morning dancing around singing "single digits...single digits".

Now if I can just get packing. I did put a few things in the suitcase last night, but I have a boatload of laundry to do this weekend. I did start stashing dd's and ds's jeans though. I hope the weather forecast I am seeing now holds up. A couple of days next week are predicted to be in the mid-80's. I did find the children some shorts and tanks on clearance and I'm putting those in the suitcase. I'm going to get dd some loose fitting warm-up pants so we can layer.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #74
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement about my job. There's a big deadline coming up and music to a single parent's ears is "next week working only 8 hours won't be acceptable".

Nevermind my child has homework that I have to sign off on having helped her with. They don’t accept another person's signature. They wan the signature of the person the child lives with everyday.

They did allow me to work at home on Tuesday, so I'll be asking to do so again. One day a week I can do, but several in a row…when I leave on 11/19, they may hear my tires screeching.

It's been rough, but my main thing is I spend most Saturdays either cleaning, running errands or doing laundry and that isn't how I want to spend every Saturday. I have great help. Their Godparents are amazing and live 2 minutes from us. Last year they picked dd up from school, but this year, the mom's hours changed plus their dd got her license and now drives herself to school.

We have an effective routine and are out of the house every morning by 6:50am. I drop them off at 7 and get to work around 7:40, work straight through, eating at my desk, leave at 3:40, pick them up just in time to avoid extra fees for dd. Of course if there's a traffic accident, then it all goes to pot.

Working on the paperwork to allow the sitter (Godparent's daughter is a junior at the school) to take dd home. Of course when ds is bigger and decides he wants to take off running after each piece of clothing is put on, then that routine might not be quite so effective. I'm told the job market will improve in my field at the start of 2011, so I'm going to look for something closer. I think it's time.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #75
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamcl View Post
I just found your PTR, but wanted to say that I admire your strength and resolve with the things you've faced.

I'm hoping for LOTS of pixie dust for you and your kiddos!
Thank you for your kind words. I try to remember how brave my husband was in all he went through and how he managed to enjoy his life. My children though are nothing short of amazing. I'm fortunate I wake up every day with 2 perfect examples of the beauty of life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: