Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
whitney37354
DIS Veteran

---CM's saying "Hello Princess!" to DD every day
---Australian CM singing "Happy Birthday" to DD at CP
---Bus driver to AK getting off the bus with us, the only passengers on that early a.m. trip, giving us directions, giving DD bubbles for later
---CM at Pooh's ride. It was our first night at WDW. We were in line to ride and DD had to "go to the potty". The line was still pretty long, so we got out of line & went under the rope. The FP CM wanted to know if everything was okay. We told her DD had to go to the bathroom. She told us to come to her when we were finished and she'd let us back in line. We came back, told her she had told us to come back and she sent us through the FP line! She told us to tell the CM at the front of the FP line that she had sent us. I was skeptical that this would work out, but we got on with no problem! Saved us probably 30 minutes of standing in line and we were able to move on to other rides.
whitney37354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #32
dmccarty
DIS Veteran

Another Custodian Interaction.

One day last trip we were in England at EPCOT. Our oldest was not feeling well so we had let her take a break in the garden. The DW and youngest child wanted to move on so I stayed with our oldest. After awhile we started slowly walking out of the garden. As we passed one of the English building a CM Custodian popped out a back door. We started talking as we slowly walked to the bridge.

My family is from Orlando well before the Mouse House was built and I grew up in the area as a kid. The CM and I just chatted about how Orlando has changed, areas he and my family used to live, and of course Disney.

We where having a nice chat when my cell phone rang and the DW asked where in the heck was I? We were supposed to meet DW and DD but the CM and I were having a great talk we had lost track of time.

A gazillion people had walked past as the CM, DD and I just chatted away in England.

Later,
Dan
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #33
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

There have been many simple kindnesses done for me and my family through the years by thoughtful CMs who apparently are passionate about their work. To mention a couple...

- One hot May afternoon at AK we were all enjoying bottles of Dasani water while sitting at a table on the shaded terrace near Flame Tree. As DD finished her bottle an older gentleman CM asks if she'd like a refill, saying the water in the CM break room is Dasani. Shortly he brings out a fresh sealed new bottle of Dasani for DD.

- DS was very young (maybe 4-5) and Turtle Talk with Crush was in testing mode, just about to open for the public. He did not understand why he didn't get called up on by Crush during the Q&A time, so had some silent tears welling in his eyes as we were leaving the empty theater. Suddenly a voice calls out to him from behind -Crush! He called DS over to "give him some fin" by tapping his hand on the screen/aquarium front. Crush chatted with him for a couple of minutes and DS felt like a very special little boy.
Zippa D Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #34
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

This kids’ first trip to WDW was this past June. One of the first rides we rode was PoTC and you could bet that DS3 wanted one of those swords from the gift shop the moment he saw them (he’s big into villains). Afterward, we ate at El Pirata y el Perico and the CM who was taking food orders had a hook hand (from aforementioned gift shop) and started to duel my 3 year old w/ his hook hand against my ds’s sword. He continued to do this the rest of the time we were there when he had a spare moment. Great first memory of WDW CMs for the kids.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #35
maskw03
Mouseketeer

We met a wonderful CM during one of our trips about 2yrs about when we were in line to meet Belle. DD finally wanted to meet the Beast and we had asked when he would be out and were told not for a while. So we went ahead and met with Belle and figured we would go see Jasmine and then come back in 10-15 to see the Beast when he was due out. We get back and the CM at the end of the line who we hadn't seen before told us the line was closed the last person just got in. That was 5 mins before we were told to be back even. DD was a little upset by that since she understood we were trying hard since she finally wanted to meet him and Aladdin told him he smelled like a camel, she didn't believe him though

The wonderful CM who had heard DD talk to Belle earlier recognized DD in her Belle gown and holding her doll wearing a belle gown as well. She pulled us and told us to wait at the end and when the last person was done we could meet them both for a min. Belle Even remembered DD's name which we were shocked with! And it truly made DD's whole trip. I'm very grateful not only to that wonderful CM, but to the one who played Belle that day and remembered DD's name. She actually did on a trip a few months after too.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

The first year we stayed at POFQ, there was a lovely senior lady who worked in the food court early in the morning.

My dh and I would be up early, we sleep terribly in those darn double beds, and go down for coffee and beignets. She would come talk to us every morning, always asking what we'd done the day before and what was the agenda for the day. She would give me a hard time telling me that my dh was so handsome, she'd like to have him as her boyfriend!

I think we probably enjoyed her visits just as much if not more than the breakfast.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #37
Sweetpeamd
Mouseketeer

This is such a great thread! What's amazing is how simple most of the magical things are. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

My favorite CM moments usually involve just a little more interaction with the characters than I would expect (a little longer hug or an unexpected encounter when the character is on his/her way to a meet and greet area). I always remember the really special character encounters. Also, one time we were in line for Cinderella's Carousel (or whatever it's now called) and I asked the CM which horse was Cinderella's. Instead of just telling me the number (37, I think) and the general location. She took my family to the front of the line and led us to the horse before anyone else was let through the entrance. Once we had chosen our horses, she let the rest of the line on the ride. Such a simple thing, but I will never forget it.

The fact that there is a thread like this is what keeps my family returning to WDW year after year after year!

[COLOR="Magenta"]1977-2007 Off Property Visits [COLOR="Lime"]2008 Beach Club [COLOR="Magenta"]2009 Beach Club [COLOR="Lime"]2010 Beach Club Villas[COLOR="Magenta"] 2010 Saratoga Springs 2011 Saratoga Springs2011 BLT 2012 OKW 2012 BLT

Me DH DS12
DD10 DS8 DD6
Sweetpeamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #38
DNSYFRK
DDC 109
Proud Dad

The magical moments are too numerous and it is really nice to read these moments as opposes to the negativity, thanks for sharing.

One time my daughter had forgotten her disney gift card in the room and she found something that she wanted. we were going to buy it for her, but my son was so persistant that he wanted to buy it for his sister, which was very nice, we go up to pay and the CM looks at us and told us the total and my son shyly said he was buying it for his sister. The CM then turned around and said how nice of a brother he was to buy this for his sister and that he needed to have something for being so nice. he gave my son a lightup necklace that to this day sits in his room.

Another time my son patiently waited in line for over an hour so my daughter could see the fairies, but since he is a little boy and very shy he sould not get his picture taken, but one of the photopass photographers was so persistant that he have a picture taken she was chasing him around my wife and I just to get him to have his picture taken, he thought it was fun and was laughing so hard by the end, and of course she got the picture.

There are so many more magical moments that I cannot even tell them all, There are so many simple moments that just bring tears to my eyes each and every trip, and that is the reason that we return as often as financially possible.
Honeymo8on 8 1/2 Years late 3 day wonder Feb 7-10,2008 --------October 15-22, 2007 POR Riverside --------March 25-April 1, 2007 4day land CBR/ 3 sea First Trip
ME James(35) DW(34) DD(12) DS(10)DS(1)
DNSYFRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #39
Suellen
DIS Veteran

These are such great stories!! Such small things that CM's can do that make magical moments. I love reading them all and hope there are more.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #40
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbus View Post
I like this thread and it does add some balance to some of the posts on the "Disney going down hill" thread. I think the expectations are so high that Disney can't live up to them. I don't think WDW was ever as perfect as a lot of people say it was way back then. I've worked at WDW for about half of it's existence and was a guest long before that. I like to think that I look at the state of things at WDW with objectivity. CMs can be the harshest WDW critics. Things change, mistakes get made, business philosphies change. IMO WDW was never as good as people thought it was and it's not as bad as some people think it is now. Not all CMs are like the ones being written about here, but I know first hand that the vast majority are.

What a wonderful perspective! This gave me a lot to think about. Its probably one of the more realistic views I've read. Thank you!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #41
wanttobeinvienna
Mouseketeer

Ohhhhh...great thread- thanks for a happy one

We have sooooo many- but the one that sticks out the most right now-

Star Wars Weekend 2009- DS8, DD6 and I were walking by Star Tours wearing shirts I had made (DH and DD10 and DD12 had gone to the hotel to rest)- DS was saying this was the best moment of his life! CM overheard, and pulled us aside and asked if we wanted a backstage tour of Disney- I thought we were all going to BUST (me especially- I have never seen anything backstage at Disney, so this was a real Disney geek treat!!!) They took us and showed us the control room, and a few other nooks and crannies, and then took us to the front of the line, and let the kids pick out the seats they wanted to ride for Star Tours!!!! At the end- they received Certificates that said they were Disney Jedi and Disney Princess of the day! It was absolutely amazing!!!!!
wanttobeinvienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #42
Cleocat
Mouseketeer

Gees and people ask 'How can you go to Disney every year'. Send them to this thread and they'd see why. The Magic and going above and beyond to make sure you have a great vacation. Keep 'em comin'.
Cleocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #43
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

there are SO many, but something that was really so small, but a huge thing for me was the following:

DS hadn't been feeling well, so we rented a stroller for him. we left the park for the afternoon and when we returned in the evening, we stopped to pick up another stroller. the CM heard my kids fussing about which one was going to ride first. he smiled, handed me a double stroller and said, "your chariot, ma'am." bless him! i could've hugged him!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #44
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

We were at MK near the castle when one of our twin toddler DDs just went into a total meltdown. Might have been fatigue, hunger, who knows what?
Cinderella noticed the situation and came right over to talk to DD and calm her down. It worked like magic and we were so grateful for her attention. Our DDs are now 27 years old, so this was nearly 25 years ago. DW and I still remember, I think DD doesn't remember because she was just a tyke.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #45
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

This right here is Disney to me. My grandmother was nearing 90 in this pic and spent most of this trip in her wheelchair. The rides were a bit much for her so we would often park her in a shady spot to people watch while we went on ride. We came out of one ride to find her chatting Pluto's ear off. Pluto must have enjoyed their conversation since he stuck with us for quite a while pushing her wheel chair and keeping her company while we went on some more rides. This was mid September 1998 so the parks were deserted and it was before characters had lines and handlers and they just roamed the parks at will. That was her last trip to Disney and Pluto made it a special one for all of us.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: