Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
jkluttrell
Mouseketeer

I have got to stop reading these types of threads while I am at work, I get tears in my eyes reading all the wonderful stories.

Disney vacations: March 1992, Offsite; March 2005, Offsite; October 2010, Caribbean Beach; November 2011, Port Orleans; October 2013, Pop Century; October 2014, Cruise on the Wonder

jkluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
Disney DayDreamer
Earning My Ears

My personal favorite pixie dust moment was...

last year for my DD's 6th birthday we made a small trip to Disney for just 2 days in the parks with my parents. Once we checked into POP and she got her birthday pin, she got sooooo many "Happy Birthday, Elizabeth", "Happy Birthday, Princess" Everywhere she went people wished her Happy Birthday. As if that wasn't special enough, we rode Test Track for the first time. I wasn't so sure whether she would like it or not. She was kind of afraid of trying new rides, but I kept telling her how much I loved this ride and how fun it was, especially the fast part outside. Well she ended up LOVING this ride. She got off the ride and said "I wish I could ride that again. That was so fun. It's my new favorite ride." As we left the ride a CM came up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder and whispered to her "Would you like to do that again?" She jumped up and down with joy saying "Yes, Yes, Yes." So he took us around a special way that brought us out to the fast pass line and we got right back on TT. I don't know if it was because she had that birthday pin on or whether he could tell how excited she was or if he realized it was her first time, but whatever the case, he truly made her day and a memory that will last us forever!
Disney DayDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
brandylouwho
DIS Veteran

A few that stick out in my mind are:

1) 5 yr old DD got glow liquid (from bracelets/necklaces) in her eyes and nasal cavity. Apparently it stings like a dickens. After flushing her eyes and assuring us it wouldn't blind her, the ladies at the first ais station gave both our kids a coupon for a free icecream bar. It is amazing how quickly DD stopped crying!

2) When DD was 3 we made the mistake of taking her on HM. The queue freaked her out and after that she was afraid of dark queues (there are so many!). So, DD was having a fit about going to the Great Movie Ride when a CM intervened. She talked her into trying the ride and gave DD lots of Mickey stickers. The CM also warned me about the Alien scene so we could cover DDs eyes before we got to that part.

3) This is sooo simple and yet one of my best Disney memories. We were browsing through the shop in Morocco when a CM put on some music and dressed the girls (ages almost 5 and 18 mos at the time) in jingly scarves and other items from the store. My girls danced their hearts out. Many other people stopped by to watch for a bit. The girls had so much fun and I will always have a special place in my heart for Morocco in Epcot.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
I have got to stop reading these types of threads while I am at work, I get tears in my eyes reading all the wonderful stories.
I KNOW! Me too! And wonderful stories like this are what makes us get SO upset when groups, impolite parents, etc. etc. get in the way of this type of thing. We don't want to be parade grand marshalls, get a free upgrade to MK view, get free fastpasses for the day - we just want to feel special. Bad behavior by others gets in the way of that.

Thanks OP for starting this thread.

We were at OKW in June and after playing Bingo with my DD (who won!) we went out to the pool for the "sing-along". The CMs tried to get my DD to participate, but she wanted NONE of it. Some other girls signed up and they were given a microphone and they sang along to the songs they picked out - mostly Hannah Montana and High School Musical, of course. Those two CMs kept asking DD to do it, and she eventually gave in. Well, she has a wonderful voice and she sang a Demi Lovato song. She did so great that all the girls in the pool actually lined up and were listening - like it was a concert! The CMs were dancing in the background, getting the crowd to sway and have a wonderful time. Complete strangers went out of their way to compliment her and tell her how beautiful her voice is, how great she sounded, etc.

DD was SO happy, she declared it the Greatest Day of Her Life! All because a couple of CMs went out of their way to get her to join in. No gifts, no characters, nothing. I still tear up remembering that day.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Nissi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkluttrell View Post
I was just thinking that same thing! I am sitting up here at the reception desk with blurry vision from the tears that are welling up but not exactly falling out. LOL!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #21
disEAR
DVC Member

in June 2009 we visited the world for the very first time. One of my first interactions with a CM was while checking in at Saratoga Springs, I wanted to print out confirmations for my Dining Reservation, the woman who helped me was super nice and definitely went the extra mile to track them down, although we only found about 4 of the 6 or 7 reservations I had made. I decided it would be fine without printing all of them out and thanked her for taking the time and helping me print out the ones we found.

DW and I went to eat some breakfast at the Artists Palate. After finishing up and making our way towards the busses we heard my name being called, and it was the Cast Member who was helping me earlier. She had taken the time to track down my reservations we couldn't find and printed out the confirmations for me. She definitely went the extra mile and blew me away.

This definitely set things up for our most magical trip ever, sprinkling that pixie dust from the very beginning which lasted all the way to check out.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
wdw_l0ver
Earning My Ears

One of the best "simple" things that I remember happened at the barber shop in MK. My DH and I were on our honeymoon and he just HAD to have his hair cut. Well, after a wonderful time during the hair cut with lots of laughs and conversation, the hairdresser sprinkled DH's hair with Mickey confetti. Being the scrapbooker that I am, I knelt down to scoop a few off the floor to use in my layout, and next thing I know, she is sprinkling my hair with confetti! Then she handed me a tissue filled with even more for me to use! A simple unexpected gesture that left a mark! I like the simple gestures the best!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
JennyKS
Mouseketeer

The first year I took my daughter she had just turned 4. We were watching a parade and she was tired and not interested. We happened to be by an ice cream parlor. We got ice cream and sat down at a table far enough you really couldn't see the parade. I had my daughters hair in pigtails and she kept turning her head fast to try and catch a glimpse of the parade but each time she did that she got one pigtail in the ice cream, which made her cry. I let her keep eating the ice cream, its not like hair was still in the ice cream but a CM saw what was happening and insisted she get new ice cream. I am still floored.

Last year we went (age 5 now) and her ear drum burst the 2nd day we were there. We were having lunch at Ariel Grotto and the guy taking my daughters picture went WAY over the top calling her Hannah and asking for her autograph to get her to smile and laugh. She had cotton in her ear and was afraid people would make fun, but thanks to that man, he changed her attitude for the WHOLE day.

I could never thank either of them enough for what they did.
JennyKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
Magicbus
DIS Veteran

I like this thread and it does add some balance to some of the posts on the "Disney going down hill" thread. I think the expectations are so high that Disney can't live up to them. I don't think WDW was ever as perfect as a lot of people say it was way back then. I've worked at WDW for about half of it's existence and was a guest long before that. I like to think that I look at the state of things at WDW with objectivity. CMs can be the harshest WDW critics. Things change, mistakes get made, business philosphies change. IMO WDW was never as good as people thought it was and it's not as bad as some people think it is now. Not all CMs are like the ones being written about here, but I know first hand that the vast majority are.
Magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Just remembered another one.

We were leaving Main street one afternoon and I realized they were getting ready to retire the flag for the evening. Being a boy scout leader, I wanted to watch. One of the gentlemen from the barbershop quartet came over and asked my children if they would help them lead the Pledge of Allegiance. My son, a boy scout, said sure... my 9 year old daughter declined. While we were waiting, the quartet found out it was my daughter's birthday, so from across the circle at the base of main street, they sang a personalized Happy Birthday to her. She loved it.

I really think, as long as you are courteous and reasonable, Disney employees will try to move heaven and earth to make sure your trip is memorable. My hats off to all the wonderful CMs on this board.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
Ellajoan
Mouseketeer

We were at DHS YESTERDAY, and had a CM make our night. My DD6 and I had Fastpasses to ride RNR (DD10) told me she didn't want to ride. We had to hustle to ride to get in queue for Fantasmic. Anyways, DD10 is special needs and apparently changed her mind about riding and kind of started getting upset (she tends to just perseverate--say the same sentence/question again and again). We had no FPs left and if DH took her to line up in standby we'd all miss Fantasmic. We decided years ago that our daughter's special needs would not necessarily always dictate our whole familys' behavior--that's not fair to our other kids. Well, while waiting for us in the gift shop, the CM working the counter there saw DD10 and must have figured out that she was special needs (cognitively impaired w/ autistic behaviors). She basically took my DH and DD aside and said "I'll get you on the ride." She took them the back way and got them right to the front of the line. DD10 was SO proud of herself for riding it, and we could not thank that CM enough. She prevented a meltdown of large proportions, and we still got to enjoy Fantasmic.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
r1lissa
Mouseketeer

We asked one of the "sweepers" for directions to the bathroom. He drew them out on the ground with a wet broom.
r1lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
brooklynnbaby
Mouseketeer

Reading threads like this are what make me sooooooooooooooo darn excited to be there with my family!!! I don't care about the big extravagant happenings - we may remember them, but not in the same way, kwim? I hope we, too, can spread some magic while we're there!
POR for MVMCP and Wishes Dessert Party, November 23-December 4, 2011
brooklynnbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

I keep thinking of more! (as I sit here reading these with a giant lump in my throat)
We were at Restaurant Marrakesh last year and my husband ordered some kind of meal that came with a soup appetizer. (Reading the PP's Brown Derby Soup Story made me think of that) My son wanted some of it, so my husband was sharing with him. My son was taking the bread that came to the table and dipping it into the soup. A few minutes later, the waitress came back with another bowl of soup (an even bigger one) and put it down in front of my son. We all kind of just looked at her and she said, "He eats the soup just like my father does, so I wanted him to have his own." Free of charge.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

I don't know if it would be considered sprinkling fairy dust as the moment was sad, but I will forever be grateful for two CM's in DHS. On our second day in DW we discovered we needed to leave FL right away and fly home due to my father-in-law dying. They saw us all standing there crying and took us to a private place to grieve- gave us tissues and water, and the second CM worked it so we could come back in the future for six days (that's what we had left). They made such a horrible time bearable, and I will always be thankful for their hospitality.
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: