Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Maria Rose
Earning My Ears

Hi! just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your trip report- this is my first post, I'm new to the Disboards. Looking forward to your updates! I've always wondered what the autotrain was like- thanks for sharing all the great pic's.

_________
Maria Rose
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Rose View Post
Hi! just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your trip report- this is my first post, I'm new to the Disboards. Looking forward to your updates! I've always wondered what the autotrain was like- thanks for sharing all the great pic's.

_________
Maria Rose
Thank you very much! We really enjoyed the AutoTrain. We had taken it on the return trip for our October 2008 vacation.

And Welcome to the DIS!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I had to laugh at the picture of your mother not watching the traffic. We travel through Atlanta to see our daughter and there are six lanes of heavy traffic every time we go through there. I wish I could put my head in a pillow but I am the one doing the driving.

Yay for arriving early. I know you were worried about getting there and making sure you didn't miss your train. Speaking of the train, I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I have never traveled by train but it seems like fun.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #19
michellejed
DIS Veteran

Great report so far!

The train sounds like fun but any time I have priced it out I find I can fly cheaper. Some day I will not think of cost and just take the train, lol

Waiting to hear more
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Hi there, neighbor! We're in Bath. About an hour and a half south of Rochester, and a half hour west of Corning.

The meal was absolutely wonderful. From what I understand, if you just ride coach (rather than the roomettes or bedrooms), the meal is good, but not quite as nice.
You're right near Bully Hill Winery! I <3 their wines
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I had to laugh at the picture of your mother not watching the traffic. We travel through Atlanta to see our daughter and there are six lanes of heavy traffic every time we go through there. I wish I could put my head in a pillow but I am the one doing the driving.

Yay for arriving early. I know you were worried about getting there and making sure you didn't miss your train. Speaking of the train, I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I have never traveled by train but it seems like fun.
Yup. Mom HATES traffic. I was very happy to have arrived early. We really enjoyed the train portion of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejed View Post
Great report so far!

The train sounds like fun but any time I have priced it out I find I can fly cheaper. Some day I will not think of cost and just take the train, lol

Waiting to hear more
Yeah, travelling on the train is not the cheapest route. However, since I don't think I could get DH or Mom on an airplaine -- it's better than driving! Plus, we have our vehicle available without having to rent a car. We could get by cheaper on the train if we went coach, but we like the privacy and comfort of the roomettes. However, the cost is part of the reason that we only take the train on one leg of the trip -- either down or back. And riding the train is an experience in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
You're right near Bully Hill Winery! I <3 their wines
Yup. We're in the middle of Wine Country - the Finger Lakes area. Bully Hill winery is about 20 minutes from my house. My sister lives even closer -- right above Keuka Lake, on the east side (unfortunately, she doesn't have a lake view...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I am HERE!! I love your reports!!
Yay!! Glad you're here. And you KNOW that I love your reports. The changes keep me on my toes! And your last changes really seemed to be the best for you guys. Woo Hoo!!! Someday -- we are both going to be at the parks at the same time. And we will meet! I mean -- we were both there in October 2008, but didn't seem to meet up. I think we were in different parks on each day for that trip.

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #23
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 3 - Wednesday, May 12th

We all got a pretty good night's sleep. The train does rock quite a bit, but it didn't bother us. We all woke up right around 6:00 am. All of us were pretty excited to start the day. We went up for breakfast at around 6:30.

Some of the warm yummies they placed on our table.

This was the set-up of the tables before people were seated.

Our beds were put back up while we were at breakfast. We enjoyed watching the scenery fly by, and spent time chatting about actually being in Florida and the fact that we'd be at Disney in just a couple of hours.

Of course, DD was texting to her aunt again...

We pulled into the Sanford station at 8:30. We were allowed to get off the train at 8:58. We went into the station -- which is in the middle of being pretty much completely remodeled -- and found a couple of chairs to wait for our truck.

We waited just about a half-hour for our truck to come off the train. We left the Sanford station at 9:29am.

We got on I-4 at 9:38.

We took exit 67 to Disney at 10:15.

We arrived at Port Orlean's French Quarter at 10:21!!! Wooo-Hoooo!!

We'll stop here for right now. Next up -- we check in! Did we have a room ready or not???

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 3 - Wednesday, May 12th continued

When we last left off, we had just arrived at Port Orleans French Quarter at about 10:21.

We parked at the Check-in lot and gathered up a couple of things.

Mom and DD waited in the lobby while DH and I checked in.

We went to check in and only had to wait a few minutes for a CM. I believe there was just one person in line before us. We weren't able to do on-line check-in, as our reservation had been changed so often... Didn't really matter. Our wait at check-in was not long at all.

As we were checking in, the CM was looking over available rooms. We had reserved a Water View room, and had requested first floor. We were told that we could have a first floor room in Building 7, but it wasn't ready yet. However, there was a second floor room in Building 1 that was ready now, if we would like that one.

Hmm..... Let me think.... YES! We'll take the one that's ready now! Room 1227. Building 1, second floor, room 27.

This room was about as far away from the bus stops as you could possibly get. However, this resort is so small that it wasn't really that far away. We never timed it, but I’d say it was a five-minute walk TOPS. Probably less than that. And that’s walking kinda slow…

We drove around to the parking lot for our section. We grabbed a few things and headed up to our room. We had a Mickey waiting for us!

From the doorway:

From the bathroom toward the doorway:

Sink/dressing area:

We had a BEAUTIFUL view from our room.

DD called her Grandma (DH’s mom) to let her know that we have arrived safely in Florida (and to get her Grandma fix – she’s used to seeing her every day as she lives next door to us).

Once we settled in a little bit, DH and I made a couple of trips back and forth to the truck and brought most of the luggage up. We unpacked and relaxed for a few minutes. It was not quite noon yet. What to do for the rest of the day???? That’ll be coming up next!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
vllygrrl
Mouseketeer

I'm greatly enjoying this report....DH and I will be driving down from NJ, and taking the AutoTrain home in November - great pictures!

Offsite 1985 Offsite 1995 Dixie Landings 10/99 Contemporary/Polynesian 11/01 CSR 5/02 Disney Wonder/BWI 9/02 BWI 11/03 POP 3/06 CR 12/06 POR 8/07Poly/Wonder 12/08 AKL CL 11/10
Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #26
loritemp
Celebrating my birthday in style...Disney Style!

Great report so far!!! Had to join on once I saw Autotrain, I have always wondered about it. Love the pics and info so far.

And your view is beautiful from your room. I really like that there is a little curtain to separate the room from the changing area, good idea!

Looking forward to more updates!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Hooray for getting to checked in quickly and for getting a room with a great view. We live right next door to my mother and my son has to call her every day when we are on vacation.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #28
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vllygrrl View Post
I'm greatly enjoying this report....DH and I will be driving down from NJ, and taking the AutoTrain home in November - great pictures!
We loved the trip on the AutoTrain. So very relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loritemp View Post
Great report so far!!! Had to join on once I saw Autotrain, I have always wondered about it. Love the pics and info so far.

And your view is beautiful from your room. I really like that there is a little curtain to separate the room from the changing area, good idea!

Looking forward to more updates!!
Thank you! We seriously love the AutoTrain. It's kind of expensive, but then again so is Disney - and we still love that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Hooray for getting to checked in quickly and for getting a room with a great view. We live right next door to my mother and my son has to call her every day when we are on vacation.
We loved how quick check-in was. We weren't able to do on-line check-in. Our trip had changed several times -- we changed from a November 2009 trip to a May 2010 trip, and changed which package, discount code, etc., several times. It got to the point where I could not pull up my reservation online anymore, but the CM's could see it if I called.

DD is very attached to her Grandma. We've lived next door her whole life. She had to make sure to talk to her every day while on vacation.

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 3 - Wednesday, May 12th continued

When we last left off, it was just about noon and we had just gotten unpacked and settled into our room. We had a little group discussion about what to do for the rest of the day. Should we go to the food court for some lunch? Should we hit the pool for a while? Should we go to a park first? Oh, the decisions…

Well, the overwhelming concensus was to HIT THE POOL!!!! We absolutely loved this pool! As promised in my Pre-Trip report – I have video evidence of my 60 year old mother going down the waterslide! In this video clip, DD comes down the slide first, then Mom. She loved it. She actually ended up going down the slide several times. I’m not even gonna try to count the number of times DD went down it!

Hmm... I can't seem to get a video to work here. But I do have a link to it on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddstratton/4749053320/

No… I don’t think DD was happy to be here at all…

We spent a little over an hour in the pool, then headed back to the room. We were going to need some lunch soon, and we were really feeling the need to get to a park.

What we ate and where we went, coming up in the next update!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #30
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Isn't is so very hard to make decisions on what to do first at Disney? Have fun? Eat? Have fun? Eat? I loved the video!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: