Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #151
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
I'm finally all caught up!

Great updates, but i'm sad to see your trip coming to an end

Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your last day went
Thank you! We've still got a couple days to go though. We drove back from Florida to New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresnr View Post
awesome update1 can't wait to see more from here!
Thanks! More is coming up soon!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #152
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 10 - Wednesday, May 19th, continued

We left off just starting our tour through Gatorland.

The white alligators were interesting.

Now for one of the big fellas. . .

We stopped at a little covered deck area. There were large gators off one side, and flamingos, turtles, ducks and fish on the other side. They had some machines you could buy some food pellets from for a quarter. The fish LOVED those pellets! So did the ducks and turtles.

These big white birds weren't afraid of anyone.

After looking around in this little section, we came upon a little petting zoo. It was fun, but didnít really fit the theme. . . DH, being the smart-alec that he is, said that this wasnít a petting zoo. It was the snack bar for the Ďgators.

We caught the very end of one of the shows. Like the last 2 minutes. Then they would allow people to come out with the gator to sit on it and get a picture. However, this gator wasn't really into it. He wouldn't stay still.

We then went on the Swamp Walk. This was a neat little walk on a boardwalk through the swamp. We didnít see any wildlife, but the walk was really very pretty.

After our swamp walk, we stopped for some drinks. We got a snowcone, a coke in a souvenier cup and 2 large cherry icees. Total cost here was $11.89.

We then started walking on the trail that would eventually lead us to the train ride.

This is when we really started seeing some of the big guys.

Again, we'll leave off here and pick up again soon!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #153
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

When we last left off, we were walking the trails. We found the train ride!

Yes, thatís a live cow. They have a herd of them on the property.

Cute little cabin along the train ride.

I really didn't take too many pictures on the train ride. I was too busy relaxing and enjoying the ride!

DD looks far too thrilled here, doesnít she?

After getting off the train, we walked around some of the trails again and made our way back to where we started, basically. We stopped at the snack bar again and got a refill for the coke and a bomb pop (ice pop) for DD. Total here was $3.51. We stopped in one of the gift shops to look around. I bought DD a pin for her hat for $5.36. Mom bought a couple of gifts for family at home, and a stuffed white alligator for DD.

On the way out, DD got to pet a small alligator.

Another brave turtle.

We exited through the gift shop, browsing around there a little bit.

Ewww.

It was about 12:45 when we finished up here. We loaded into the truck and were headed off to St. Augustine. Hereís the temp as we were driving. . .

We stopped at a gas station shortly after leaving Gatorland. $39 in gas. We also bought a burrito for DD and a bottle of Naked Juice. The rest of us were still full from breakfast, so we didnít worry about lunch yet.

We stopped at another gas station/McDonaldís at around 2:30. I donít have it in my notes as to why we stopped. . . Not sure if it was a gas stop (I doubt it Ė we just stopped about an hour earlier) or if we stopped to use the bathroom or just to get some food. Either way, the only receipt I have shows 2 buck-doubles. Hmm.. Iím sure we bought more than just that. I just donít remember and donít have a receipt.

We got back on the road and finally found the Ripleyís Believe It or Not! in St. Augustine. We got there right around 3:15 pm. Tickets for 3 adults, 1 child and a guidebook came to $58.26.

We stopped in the gift shop on the way out. DD got a fold-up travel brush & mirror and a switchblade comb. Total was $4.72.

Outside, they had a log house that was made from hollowing out one big tree.

We left Ripleyís shortly before 5:00 pm. Our hotel was not too far away, and we were looking forward to stopping for the night.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #154
always
Mouseketeer

Great pictures! I love the one of the close up of the snout (?) of a gator.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #155
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

Gatorland and Ripley's

Thanks for another interesting TR. The train looked like it would be a nice break from all the walking. (Wasn't fond of the alligator heads... eww LOL)

I loved the log house made from the large redwood. How ingenious!

Read you soon.

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #156
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I was going to post last night but then my laptop battery died and I was too lazy to get up and plug it in.

Gatorland looks like a pretty cool place to visit. I probably missed it but how long did it take you guys to tour the park? We've thought about going to Gatorland before but just haven't done it yet.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #157
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by always View Post
Great pictures! I love the one of the close up of the snout (?) of a gator.
Thank you! This place was really fun to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
Thanks for another interesting TR. The train looked like it would be a nice break from all the walking. (Wasn't fond of the alligator heads... eww LOL)

I loved the log house made from the large redwood. How ingenious!

Read you soon.
Thank you! Yeah, the alligator heads were kinda ewww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I was going to post last night but then my laptop battery died and I was too lazy to get up and plug it in.

Gatorland looks like a pretty cool place to visit. I probably missed it but how long did it take you guys to tour the park? We've thought about going to Gatorland before but just haven't done it yet.
We spent the morning at Gatorland. Got there when they opened at 9:00, and left just before 1:00. So about 4 hours. We did NOT really see any of the shows they offer, though. We just caught the tail-end of one of them.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #158
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

When we last left off, we were leaving Ripley's Believe It Or Not! in St. Augustine, Florida, and heading toward our hotel. We were staying at the Comfort Suites at Golf World Village, in St. Augustine. We arrived there at about 5:15 pm. Our room was on the 6th floor. Again, I had asked for 1st floor, near the pool. We were on the 6th floor, but still near the pool as the pool and our room were both close to the elevator. Perfect! Cost for the room was $117.59.
I actually took this photo the next morning. . . Forgot to take one as we were pulling in.

View from our room.

This photo makes the room look smaller than it was. There were two beds in the room. I was standing at the end of one when I took this picture.

We got our suitcases to the room and decided to head to supper. We really hadnít had much since breakfast, so we were ready!

We headed to a nearby Cracker Barrel.

This was so yummy. I had the raspberry lemonade.

Or two.

I also had the Ribeye steak, with mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and corn. It was really very good.

DH had the haddock with green beans and corn.

Mom had the chicken salad plate with cole slaw.

DD had the grilled chicken tenders with mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and applesauce. She was a little hungry and was growling over her food. Eejit.

DH even had room for dessert Ė the bottomless pit that he is.

We all really enjoyed our meals. Iím not sure if it was just the fact that we were so hungry, or that the food really was that good. None of us could find anything wrong with our meals. Yummo. On the way out, we bought DD some gum and a book on outer space. Total cost for gift shop and meal was $56.40. Canít go wrong, really.

We headed back to the hotel and decided to hit the pool for a while. This hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, as well as an outdoor hot tub.

Mom took up residence in the hot tub.

This is the deepest hot tub Iíve ever seen! Momís not sitting in the first picture! When you sat on the benches around the edge of the tub, the water was shoulder-high. And the water was delightfully hot. It felt good on tired, sore muscles.

DD loved the pool, of course.

The pool area was really nice. It was not busy at all, either. There was one other family there when we arrived. As it got dark, they left. We just went to the indoor pool.

After some time in the pool, we were all pooped. We knew we had a fairly long day coming up, so we all just vegged a bit then hit the beds.

Up next Ė our first visit to the ocean.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #159
Rozz
DIS Veteran

You do a great job combining descriptions and photos! Your pictures are so good too!

I remember visiting the Alligator Farm about 25 years ago thinking it would not be much fun. We really enjoyed it! I loved the walkways that went out into the swamp-walking the planks I called it. Reading about your experience at the AF was a fun time warp for me!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #160
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Awesome updates!

That hotel looks really nice...especially the view

Can't wait to hear about the ocean
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #161
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
You do a great job combining descriptions and photos! Your pictures are so good too!

I remember visiting the Alligator Farm about 25 years ago thinking it would not be much fun. We really enjoyed it! I loved the walkways that went out into the swamp-walking the planks I called it. Reading about your experience at the AF was a fun time warp for me!
Thank you! We really enjoyed Gatorland. It was worth the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Awesome updates!

That hotel looks really nice...especially the view

Can't wait to hear about the ocean
Thank you! The hotel was really enjoyable. Ocean report coming up!!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #162
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 11 - Thursday, May 20th

Sorry it's been a little while. Life got a bit busy.

When we last left off, we were staying at a very comfy Comfort Suites.

We were up and around and headed for breakfast by 8:30 am.

We got the truck loaded up again, and were heading for the beach! Mom is the only one of us who has ever been to see the ocean before. Well, I guess I was but I donít remember it. I was four months old at the time!

We were going to St. Augustine Beach State Park. We got a little bit turned around, because my map directions put me on a road that was not really park access. There was a locked gate across the road. We had to backtrack a bit to find the actual park entrance. No worries though. Only took a couple of minutes longer.

Once we found the park, we paid our admission -- $8.00 per car Ė and found a spot to park. Parking was fairly close to the beach access.

DD put on her swimsuit. The rest of us didnít plan on going in the water, so we didnít change. Then we headed to the beach.

I changed my mind. I wanted to go into the water. So I went back and changed and met them on the beach.

DD and I wandered out into the water.

Mom and DH waded into the surf a little, but mainly stayed on the beach.

DD got her first face-full of ocean water. I donít think she cared for the salty taste. . .

DD absolutely fell in love with the ocean.

The beach really wasnít very crowded.

One little side note. I have very fair skin. I sunburn if I look outside on a sunny day. I had worn sunscreen the entire time we had been at Disney World. I forgot it today. Of all days. At the time, I didnít think much of it. We were only at the beach for about an hour. No problem, right? WRONG!! I was pretty crispy by that evening. I had bought some sunburn gel earlier in the week, when I had sunburned my head and it really came in handy this night.

DD really didnít want to leave. None of us did, but she REALLY didnít. We did go get changed into dry clothes and bought a couple of drinks from the snack stand. Our total cost for drinks here was $8.99.

We got loaded back up in the truck and headed North. We were going to be driving as far as Florence, SC.

We'll leave off here for now...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #163
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What a fun update! I haven't been to the ocean in a while and your pictures made me miss it. Too bad you only had an hour or so to play in the water but I'm sure you'll plan another trip sometime soon since your daughter loved it so much.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #164
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What a fun update! I haven't been to the ocean in a while and your pictures made me miss it. Too bad you only had an hour or so to play in the water but I'm sure you'll plan another trip sometime soon since your daughter loved it so much.
Thanks! We had a lot of fun. We didn't have a lot of time to stay and play, but we enjoyed the time we had. We are actually tentatively planning a beach vacation for DD's 13th b-day.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #165
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Travel Day 11 - Thursday, May 20th, continued

When we last left off, we had just left St. Augustine Beach State Park. We were heading towards home.

Driving through Jacksonville, FL.

We stopped for lunch at an Arbyís right around 1:30 pm.

DD got the roast beef sandwich with curly fries and a Pepsi; Mom and DH each had the BeefíníCheddar with curly fries and a Pepsi; and I had the French Dip sandwich with homestyle fries and a Pepsi. Our total cost here was $26.85. Food was standard Arbyís food, but was extra tasty because we were hungry.

DD had perked up a little by this time. She was still missing the beach/ocean. She has put in a formal request that we take a vacation to the ocean. I am looking into it now. Iíve warned her that it may not be until 2012, but she didnít care. She just wanted to know that weíd be going back and that she would have more time to play in the ocean. I like that idea, myself. We grabbed a Jr Roast Beef to go, as DD decided she was extra hungry Ė grand total of $1.07.

We loaded into the truck again and hit the road.

My notes are a little - - - absent - - - here. I know we didnít do anything memorable, but we must have hit a rest area or two. . .

It was shortly before 7:00 pm when we found our hotel.

At this hotel, we did get my request of a first floor room. It was just down the hall from the pool area.

You can see a small brown building next to the hotel here.

This is were we went for supper. Zaxbyís Chicken.

DH had the chicken sandwich with fries.

I had chicken tenders with fries and garlic bread.

DD had the kids chicken tenders with fries.

Mom had the Zensation salad.

The food was really pretty good. Our total here was $28.31

After eating, we got 2 chocolate shakes, an order of fried pickles and an order of fried cheese bites to go (all fat free and low calorie, I tell ya). Total was $12.72.

We went back to the hotel and hit the pool for a little while. The pool area was small, but not busy. There were only a couple other people there.

Even though we were on our way home, we were still having fun and just enjoying the trip.

It was a little after 9:00 pm when we left the pool area. We were tired and knew we had another long day ahead.

Up next Ė Myrtle Beach!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: