Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #76
BamaEd1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
With the "Mad Max's Beyond Thunderdome Adventure", "Mission:28 Days Later", "Journey into the Wasteland", "Living off the Land", and "Soarin' through the Fallout".
Throw in some Bear Grylls and Les Stroud from Discovery Channel with a foridging for bugs and squeezing water out of elephant dung restaurant....fun stuff!!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #77
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaEd1 View Post
Throw in some Bear Grylls and Les Stroud from Discovery Channel with a foridging for bugs and squeezing water out of elephant dung restaurant....fun stuff!!!!!
Maybe an Andrew Zimmer:Bizarre foods themed restaurant with a "post-apocolyptic flair" to the cuisine? Disney definitely has an "in" with Travel Channel.

I'm on board with Bear and Les. We'll give them Spaceship Earth and call it Survival:Earth.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #78
nytimez
Nihilist

Now you guys are just being ridiculous. Everyone knows Florida will sink in the apocalypse -- that means the only real Future World option is "Waterworld."
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #79
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Now you guys are just being ridiculous. Everyone knows Florida will sink in the apocalypse -- that means the only real Future World option is "Waterworld."
Talk about a dead attraction...that movie was SOOO terrible. It wasn't Ishtar, but it was close.

Waterworld with Nemo and Friends?? Nope, I don't think even THAT would revive it.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #80
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Talk about a dead attraction...that movie was SOOO terrible. It wasn't Ishtar, but it was close.

Waterworld with Nemo and Friends?? Nope, I don't think even THAT would revive it.
Clearly, you lack the appreciation of fine cinema.

"Waterworld" could be in Future World... while "Ishtar" could be World Showcase, as the desert reclaims the nations.

And you have to pass through "Battlefield: Earth" to cross between them.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #81
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Clearly, you lack the appreciation of fine cinema.

"Waterworld" could be in Future World... while "Ishtar" could be World Showcase, as the desert reclaims the nations.

And you have to pass through "Battlefield: Earth" to cross between them.
I think naming those 3 movies in the same post might have broken one of the 7 seals of the apocalypse. See what you've started, now?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #82
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
I think naming those 3 movies in the same post might have broken one of the 7 seals of the apocalypse. See what you've started, now?
.... And hail, brimstone, mickey bars and dolewhips fell from the sky..
..And the seas turned to Beverly
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #83
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Maybe I missed something someplace but I've never read anything about a negative impact on the construction of EPCOT by Kodak. Could you please provide some insight into this.
Disney's association with Kodak denied the construction of a "Mt. Fuji" matterhorn type ride due to kodak's objection...Fujifilm

This has been documented in may of the books, articles written on imagineering and construction at WDW...and unlike jim hill...when senior WDI personnel comment on things such as this...i'm compelled to think they are not exaggerating...

that's all...but the failure to incorporate the attractions into the world showcase pavilions - first as a budget and construction timeline sacrifice....then as management's turmoil and a lack of committment to "re-invent" the park when the eisner borg..i mean..."team" took over - represents Disney choosing the wrong fork in the road.
in my opinion at least
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #84
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

One thing I remember about most of the Futureworld pavilions as a kid and teen in the 80's and 90's, They did actually educate. For the most part, it seemed like make of the pavilions did educate about the past, before bringing you into the present/future...usually in the post-show.

Seas: Then: Intro from the Que to the seacabs had displays, films, and information about the forming of the seas and man's attempts to explore and learn about them. Then you got to the aquarium and the exhibits (which I'll conceed haven't changed dramatically post-nemo)
Now: Intro is basically a long line with beach to the pier theming, before you get to the exhibits in the back. There really isn't even any reason to "ride the ride" since you can just sneak into the exhibits from the gift shop. (Nice little trivia bit.... you can still see the old Sea Base Alpha themeing on the outside of the omnimover tunnel thru the aquarium. It's easy to spot from the rotunda.)

Land: Then: The Land Boat ride took you thru the history of farming before taking you to the greenhouse where you were introduced to the future of farming in hydroponics / etc. the show helped teach kids about how to eat properly. Now: admit I haven't ridden the land boat ride, but my understanding is it's pretty much the same. the show about proper eating is gone, replaced by a ride that while cool, doesn't really teach much.

JII: Then: Gather, store, recombine. The Ride, in fun way, helped to show how anything was possible with your imagination. Imageworks was a fun playground with many ways to play and even use your imagination. Now: Don't get me started on the ride, and the downstairs Imageworks doesn't really seem to have much of anything to play with.

UOE: Then: History of petroleum's creation.... From the dinosaurs to their extinction and transformation into oil... as well as the processes of oil exploration and drilling. Now: honestly... Haven't ridden it to see how Ellen changed things.

WoL: Then: Ride where you got to go inside the human body and see white blood cells at work as well as many other parts of the body. Show where you see how different parts of the body react to situations you are put into. Overall education about your health and biology. Now: Glorified Banquet hall.

Horizons: Then: Cool look into a possible future as mankind expands into areas currently unhabitable. A nice way that combined many of the themes and ideas from elsewhere in Futureworld. Now: A "history of EPCOT" pin.

M:S : Then: Didn't exist. Now: an interesting simulator involving a mission to mars. Post show possibility to show history of space exploration, or pretty much anything educational, is non existant and instead just a long boring hallway.

WoM: Then: Ride took you thru the history of transportation and into a post-show area where you could see many concept vehicles, ideas for future transportation, alongside current showroom vehicles. Now: Another "History of EPCOT" pin

TT: Then: didn't exist. Now: queue has some vehicle test displays. ride is a vehicle proving ground. post show doesn't have much which looks forward to the future.

Not sure where the future, or education, really is in Futureworld anymore.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #85
Figment632
DIS Veteran

DCTooTall that was a great post and yes EC used to Educate as well as entertain it was a first an was unique. Now it is becoming just another theme park.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #86
floridianer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
DCTooTall that was a great post and yes EC used to Educate as well as entertain it was a first an was unique. Now it is becoming just another theme park.
cīmon
They are still showing "the circle of live!!"

floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #87
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post
cīmon
They are still showing "the circle of live!!"

And your point is what?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #88
floridianer
Mouseketeer

That there is still a little bit of education...

But this was way more in the 80s and 90s, I agree
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #89
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post
That there is still a little bit of education...

But this was way more in the 80s and 90s, I agree
Well The Land is the pavilion I would say fine and is the only EPCOT CEnter pavilion left. That said COL could use an update.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #90
floridianer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
Well The Land is the pavilion I would say fine and is the only EPCOT CEnter pavilion left. That said COL could use an update.
Agreed,

I think that UoE is educational too but it is way too long and could have an update too!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: