Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #76
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
Hi there!

Very much enjoying your TR I think I read your 2008 TR - I wasn't into posting comments then but thought it was great!

Isn't POR wonderful?! We were in building 18 so just along the river from bldg 14 and in the corner room that looked out at the water. It was lovely

Aside from melting ice cream and balloon attacks (which are really just part of the fun) sounds like a great first day What a wonderful trip for the "babies" of the families to have on their own and not have to compete with the older kids, and grandma's along too!

Looking forward to the rest of your adventures!
Thanks! It really was amazing to have just the little ones and have the freedom to do only what they wanted. Donald just put all the video we took onto a DVD and we watched it this morning and I have the first balloon attack on film! But, of course, not the full out attack on Mom. Definitely part of the fun!

And yes, POR was fabulous. at first stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
Lovin' your trip report!
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #77
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This was Mom's. Tuna Oscar. She liked it but the fried green tomatoes were the highlight. Not the tuna.
This comes from a girl who doesn't eat fish. The tuna was amazing!! I loved it and wanted to steal this dish from mom.

Quote:
Here's Suzy's. Pan Asian noodles with shrimp. She liked it but wouldn't order it again.
This was pretty good but when I go to Kona in November the reason I will not be ordering this dish again is because I will be ordering the Tuna!!!

Quote:
I mostly sat in a swing
Here's proof

Quote:
Then here is a true confession. We pool hopped!
Come on.....this wasn't pool hopping!! The place was deserted and they ran thru the water squirter area. No beach bags were pulled out. No bathing suits and towels hogging up Poly guest's chairs. Actually, Perla was taking a restroom break and I was walking around with Jack jack. We stumbled across this area and he started playing. I wasn't expecting it because earlier that day he nor Boo would get even the littlest bit wet at Donald's boat. But an hour relaxing on the beach and with belly full I guess things are different.

Mom, Jack Jack, and I went back into MK to watch Wishes.

We got there about an hour ahead of time and staked out a good spot on the curb right on the hub on the Tommorrowland side of Walt. We sat for about 20 minutes and then I realized that if I hurried Jack jack and I could sneak in a last ride of Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. So that's what we did. Mom stayed with our stroller on the curb and I carried Jack jack to Buzz. Then we came back for this.

Disney at night.

I had brought a light up Buzz and a light up bracelet that we had gotten at DisneyLand back in June but Jack Jack saw the light up swords and had to have one. Since I had planned on buying him a light saber this trip due to his newfound love of all things Star Wars, I decided that a $10 light up sword was a good deal. Plus I thought it was really cool too.

What a big day!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #78
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I see. I didn't realize the tuna was such a big hit! Mom just kept going on & on about the tomatoes. Guess she was just talking up what she knew I'd like!

And of course we wouldn't really pool hop. Because pool hopping is silly. I mean, from a mom's point of view, why on earth would I take a bunch of kids to another resort? Carry all the towels & stuff. It just sounds dreadful. And I've stayed at All Star Resorts. Not the best pools in the world but kids seriously do not know the difference! Very silly.

Coming up! EPCOT! Is Epcot fun with preschoolers? Must you get to rope drop to avoid all lines? Stay tuned!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #79
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Is Epcot fun with preschoolers?

That is the question posed on this day. No Test Track, no Mission:Space, no Soarin', no Maelstrom, no Kim Possible. No Innovations. I have spent much of the last 10 years of WDW trips sitting outside.

The problem with future world is you can't take strollers into the pavilions. This is a big issue for those of us with little ones. That means if you have a sleeping baby: no air conditioning for you! Nothing interesting. Just sit in the heat with your sleeping baby. While your family does fun stuff.

So it was quite interesting to me how this day would run. The first thing we did which we normally don't is make two ADR's: One for Coral Reef and one for Akershus.

But back to the beginning. Of the day. In the wee hours of the morning Boo just could not settle. When she needs comfort she plays with my hair. By this time of the night she had played with my hair so much my head was hurting. So I kept shifting to try and get comfortable and reveal a new spot on head for her to yank on. Which made her shift. It was FOREVER OF H***. This is why three year olds have their own beds. I think the main issue is she's a pretty light sleeper and we were with Mom who (don't tell her I told you) can snore. Not all the time. But I'm just saying.

So Boo couldn't fall asleep. And every part of my head was sore. Anyway I started laying on her hands and legs. Call me evil if you want but I thought if I kind of swaddled her with my body she'd settle and drop back to sleep. It would almost work. We would almost drop off to sleep. And then a hand would wiggle out & hair yank and then a leg would wiggle out and fling itself over me. Yeah, she likes to put her leg up when she sleeps too.

Anyway after about 2 hours of this full out wrestling match I yelled at her. It actually kinda worked. We slept after that. But unfortunately it woke up everyone else too. Whoops!

And it only worked for a little while. I was awake way earlier than I planned this morning. Also, I woke up really congested. Because of that I decided to take a long hot shower and get the final bit of crud out of my lungs. I had realized in the middle of the night that my diligence was paying off and I was getting healthier. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get infected. But you know the end of the cold how everything drains? Yup. The shower helped. A lot. And because there was no need for anyone else to be awake there was no need for me to hurry. Delightful. Almost made up for not sleeping.

But everyone did get up and we did our morning routine. Mom went to eat at the food court, we got hot food (waffle for Jack, eggs for Boo), Suzy & I ate our Kashi bars. We got ready and packed. We did change one thing, however.

TIP TIME! Florida weather does not equal quality hair. Curly hair frizzes. Straight hair flattens. Please don't bother doing your hair. Seriously. Day one we had attempted. But on this morning, despite our short hair, we put it up in sad little pony tails and then little clips. And then we hair sprayed it with a thick coat. It was perfect. It was cool, looked put together (for Florida hair), and lasted all day without another thought. The tip is this: bring cute things to put your hair up & hard freeze hairspray. Then go ahead and do it on day one. You'll be glad you did!

Ok. So we were finally ready to leave the room at about 9:30 which is crazy late for us. Because we know that the biggest secret to skipping all the lines is: GET THERE EARLY!!! You will see this in action on DHS day. But since we weren't even sure what we were doing at Epcot we moseyed.

On our way to fill up our refillable mugs we stopped to chase these guys:

To any normal person these are just a beautiful part of the scenery. But for our kids they were a very important part of the vacation. And Boo, from the very beginning, called them ducks and mangoes. I have absolutely no idea. None of us had ever called them by their name, that I know of, and I tried to tell her they were Ibis. But she was having none of it.

"Here Mango! Here little Mango!" she would yell as she chased them. So that's it. From now on in our family these are Mangos.

The bus came fairly quickly. There was a full one that didn't pass us and we were all like, "here's the bus!" and then "oh man!" But the next bus was for us too and the bonus of having to wait for the second bus is? No people!

Woohoo! Great seats.

I think Epcot is the easiest park to get into. From a bus, monorail, or car it's right there. I've picked up my family from Epcot and just driven right to the front. I like that.

So we hopped off the bus, got our bags checked, and our picture taken:

Are we cheesy? Did we plan to match? Yup. Mom even bought a pink Minnie shirt so she could match. Again, we're cheesy. Which is the absolute best way to be.

Fountain!

Does anyone else love bird's of paradise? Raise your hands. Surely I'm not the only one. Love them!

Boo and I volunteered to get Soarin' FP's (just in case we wanted to ride it later) while Suzy & Mom & Jack-Jack went to the Universe of Energy. I had youtubed it (Another TIP!!! Youtube the rides before you go with your little ones. If it scares them while they are sitting on their couch at home, it'll scare them in person) and knew that it should probably be skipped with Boo. She's not completely comfortable with dinosaurs although she is coming around and I may try it in March.

But I was just at such a slower pace than normal that I took time to notice things I don't normally.

Find these next time you go. I pointed them out later to my family and it was really nice to talk about inventions with my big girls.

Also I really studied these mosaics. The whole building and sign have such nice mosaics.

Once we had the FP's we went to see the Circle of Life

I hadn't seen this, well, maybe ever. I certainly didn't remember it. But I thought Boo would like it since it's just a movie and is Lion King based. Sadly, we almost walked out of it because she got absolutely terrified. What in the world would terrify a preschooler in a tame nature movie. Wait for it (and really, try to guess.) In the mean time here's a pic of her pre-movie before she knew this was a terrifying movie:

Did you guess?

Pollution. That's right. The section on pollution and sludge totally freaked her out. And we even stood up and moved closer to the door. But then the Lion King song came back on and she settled back down.

After that we walked back to the center of Epcot to meet the rest. But they weren't quite done and I had to go to the potty. The closest one was in the building with Character Connection where you can meet the Fab Five. The line was forever but Boo was content to watch the other children get their pics with Mickey.

And after I went potty she wanted to watch the movies that played:

Even though it's ridiculous to wait in a line for something you don't want to do, it was air conditioned and I was going to have to wait somewhere. So I pushed her into the line, plopped down on the floor and waved people past us. Was it odd? Yes. But it was nice. I texted Donald about our trip and after 15 minutes or so it was time to meet up with the rest. Back into the heat!

Fine. We might text a bit too much.

That's what you get when everyone in the family has iphones.

Next on our list was Imagination:

When I say there was no one in here I'm not kidding. We were the only tourists in the building. And the two guys running the ride were the oldest guys I've ever seen working at WDW. Because Disney is smart and this is the perfect job for people who are 100. I like Figment. And I like the activities afterward. Why don't people like this ride? It's perfect for preschoolers.

Imagination, imagination,
A dream, a dream can be a dream come true,
with just a spark from me and you.

And we hopped on all the musical instruments. Normally there are so many kids here you can't hear the individual instruments because there is a kid standing on each one. But since we were the only ones here we could jump on one at a time.

I also hung out in the gift shop and actually bought something instead of just playing and not buying anything. A spinning airplane light up candy toy. Very good value. Candy, flashlight, spinny toy all for cheap.

After this we went to see Captain:EO. I knew it was George Lucas and Michael Jackson and I knew it was retro. That's where my knowledge stopped. So I happily walked in. Suzy and I discussed a bit as she had seen it in Disneyland but I opted to take Boo in. Had I seen the preshow I would have known it was a mistake. But we walked right in when the preshow was ending.

We sat right next to the door just in case. And left within 30 seconds of it starting. Oh well. Boo and I just hung outside watching the water jump from hole to hole. I could watch that all day and I videotaped way too much of it. We also watched a lizard for awhile.

Then they came out and I ran in to see if I could catch the very next showing. Nope. So I stood in the big empty room a bit and then it filled with a bunch of hispanic people. The guy running the show explained in GREAT detail that you are NOT allowed to sit down in the preshow room. Honestly, he went on and on and on. So we go in and every single person other than me sat. Because they all spoke Spanish. I'm sure some of them had understood him but it's just not the same when it's not your language. So after the preshow room was full of illegally sitting people the same super bossy guy comes in and gives the entire speech in English again. And everyone is still sitting. So then he says, "And for our Spanish friends, No se siente en el suelo." And every single person stood up.

This was interesting to me. For two reasons. Why not say it the short way in Spanish and English to begin with? Why give me, the only native English speaker and the only person standing the same, boring, bossy speech twice about how only people who want to die would sit down? And why is it we only obey things in our native tongue? Even if we can translate it, it just doesn't have the same power when we half guess what it means in our head as when someone commands it crystal clear from the outside. We are all that way. That's why the big Disney people who run the monorail repeat "stand clear of the doors" in Spanish. Because they are smart.

Anyhow, after this lesson in brevity we watched the preshow and were allowed into the theater. I loved this. Hilarious. I loved Michael Jackson's shirt. And lots of people were wearing that shirt at Disney the week we were there. So I wasn't the only one. I'm so glad it's not 1980-1995. But I'm more than willing to watch and make fun of all of us who lived through it.

Suzy & crew rode Nemo and checked us in at Coral Reef. And I ran to get there!

Don't be confused as we weren't by the window. But the table was empty and this was the biggest turtle I'd ever seen so I got up to take a picture:

The kids got their toys:

But this picture is after Jack-Jack stopped crying. He cried and he cried and we just couldn't figure out why. Finally I think Mom figured it out. She had bought him a Buzz Lightyear scope type thing that you look through. He didn't know the name (clearly I don't either) and he wanted it but since none of us had a clue what he was talking about and Suzy didn't have it he just kept getting more frustrated. Poor tyke.

I had learned my lesson about getting a sweet entree and got the steak. I liked it a lot. And I loved my chocolate wave:

Boo ate all my raspberries, of course.

I mentioned at the end of this meal that I didn't understand the horrible reviews of this place. But Suzy and Mom disagreed with me. It wasn't that it was horrible. But, as they pointed out, with all the other options at Epcot, why eat here? And when put that way, I agree. There are many, well, almost all the restaurants at Epcot that I would prefer over this one. So it gets bad reviews not on it's own lameness but by comparison, why eat here?

So when all was said and done I took a picture of the highlight of our meal:

And then we were off to explore the Seas. But I'll be over my photo count so next time...
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #80
BelleTinkMom
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm lovin your TR and so jealous on how many times you will be going to DW this year. I wish I could take a trip with my 10 year old and then one with my 5 year old, but DH would be too jealous.

We ate at Coral Reef on our 2009 trip and we loved it.

Can't wait to hear more.
I am nuts....for bringing the in-laws-a May/June 2011 TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post41825167
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #81
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
But this picture is after Jack-Jack stopped crying. He cried and he cried and we just couldn't figure out why. Finally I think Mom figured it out. She had bought him a Buzz Lightyear scope type thing that you look through. He didn't know the name (clearly I don't either) and he wanted it but since none of us had a clue what he was talking about and Suzy didn't have it he just kept getting more frustrated. Poor tyke.
Jack Jack kept asking for the "calculator." I had not brought a calculator and he didn't usually play with one so that was weird but I gave him my phone with the calculator app for him to play with. Much crying. "No, the CALCULATOR" Hmmmmm.....what calculator? "Here's Buzz and Woody and the toys you played with last night" "I WANT THE CALCULATOR" Finally I replayed in my mind what he had had at Kona the night before and the only thing we were missing were his new Buzz Lightyear binoculars which I had not packed that day. "You mean the binoculars?" "YES" sob sob sob. But once the communication issue had been resolved I was able to get him calmed down and continue our meal.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #82
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleTinkMom View Post
Hi there! I'm lovin your TR and so jealous on how many times you will be going to DW this year. I wish I could take a trip with my 10 year old and then one with my 5 year old, but DH would be too jealous.

We ate at Coral Reef on our 2009 trip and we loved it.

Can't wait to hear more.
Thanks. Yes, Suzy & I are so lucky to have guys that know we need our girl/baby time. Donald wasn't too jealous since he was coming just a few days later. Milo is the one who struggled with jealousy as he doesn't get to go for his first time till November. But it was hard to feel too guilty since he had just been to Disneyland two months earlier.

Did you sit right next to the aquarium? We wondered if this would change our opinion. Had I been right next to the giant turtle the entire meal I may have felt differently overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseful of boys View Post
Jack Jack kept asking for the "calculator." I had not brought a calculator and he didn't usually play with one so that was weird but I gave him my phone with the calculator app for him to play with. Much crying. "No, the CALCULATOR" Hmmmmm.....what calculator? "Here's Buzz and Woody and the toys you played with last night" "I WANT THE CALCULATOR" Finally I replayed in my mind what he had had at Kona the night before and the only thing we were missing were his new Buzz Lightyear binoculars which I had not packed that day. "You mean the binoculars?" "YES" sob sob sob. But once the communication issue had been resolved I was able to get him calmed down and continue our meal.
The calculator! I knew he kept calling it something weird but couldn't remember. So frustrating to be two with a limited vocabulary. Well, honestly, vocabulary and missing words can be frustrating at 36 too!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #83
Purpleblanket
Mouseketeer

Just found your trip report today!
Great report and photos. I'm really enjoying it.
We will be there Dec. 27 - Jan 1st!!!
I can't wait.

Debbie
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #84
Riviera510
Mouseketeer

I love reading your trip report! In fact I've read all of your previous ones as well. Does that make me a stalker?

You and your sister remind me of me and my sister... I have all girls(3 of them) and she has all boys(2).

We are heading down to Disney in November for my girls 1st trip and we are staying at POR. I cant wait! I just pulled out our suitcases today... and we dont leave for 43 more days.

Apr1985 ~ Daytrip to Magic Kingdom
Apr1986 ~ Daytrip to Epcot
Nov2010 ~ First Family (Road)Trip to POR
Nov2012 ~ Another Roadtrip to POR.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #85
BelleTinkMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Thanks. Yes, Suzy & I are so lucky to have guys that know we need our girl/baby time. Donald wasn't too jealous since he was coming just a few days later. Milo is the one who struggled with jealousy as he doesn't get to go for his first time till November. But it was hard to feel too guilty since he had just been to Disneyland two months earlier.

Did you sit right next to the aquarium? We wondered if this would change our opinion. Had I been right next to the giant turtle the entire meal I may have felt differently overall.
We were in the bottom section but the not tables right up against the aquarium, we were in the booths on the front row. There were also divers in the aquarium while we were eating.
I am nuts....for bringing the in-laws-a May/June 2011 TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post41825167
Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #86
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Great updates. Our girls have similar dislike in shows
Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #87
estherhead
DIS Veteran

To my loyal readers:

Hi everyone!

I know I've been missing. But I have a good excuse and and question. You all know this is the year of Disney. And because of this the planning of our next trips is going to be mixed up with the Disney trip I'm currently working on. So, my excuse for not being around is... I went to Disneyland! This was an unplanned Disney trip as I was in California for a wedding and just happened to decide to spend one day at Disneyland with just Donald and I.

See? It's a valid excuse!

So I'd like to know if you'd like to to continue without break on the current trip report and do a little Disneyland TR later or if you'd like a little summary on my take on my first trip to Disneyland right now in the middle of this? I just can't make up my mind.

Along with this, Suzy will be heading back to WDW the end of November so we'll have another trip to interrupt. And of course our March trip is being planned even as I speak.

So there is my valid excuse for my negligence. But I'm back! And if it is possible, I love Disney parks even more.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #88
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Awesome! I'd love to hear about DL right away!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #89
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Disneyland!

So, I've been the crazy traveler this year as in addition to the year of Disney I've also been to Myrtle Beach, NYC, and California this summer/fall. Among other short trips. And then we have our two upcoming trips! It's draining our bank account but oh so fun!

The California trip was paid for by a guy I've known my whole life who asked us to help with his wedding. We went out there to film it & make his wedding video and also I'm throwing (hopefully with Suzy's help!) his secondary wedding reception back here. In addition to being Disney experts, Suzy and I have other skills And passions. Weddings, babies, etc. Anyhoo... Donald and I, being the crazy people we are, decided that after the wedding we'd spend a bit of our own money and drive to the Sequoias. AMAZING!!!!! But it didn't take as long as we thought to see big trees. So what to do with 24 hours to kill in LA?

Hmmmm????

What to do, what to do. I want to make this perfectly clear. It was NOT me who said the words, "We could go to Disneyland." WAS NOT ME! It was Donald. I simply said, "I've seen all the trees I need to see. What should we do tomorrow?" And he said, "Well, we could go to Disneyland. How much would that cost?" And I said, "$202.00 for two one day two park passes. And a Priceline Anaheim hotel for $55.00." Yes, I knew that off the top of my head. Because I thought before we headed out to California it might be POSSIBLE we would have an extra day and PERHAPS I might need to know off betterbidding.com how much a hotel would cost and I might need to budget in the $202.00. And perhaps I may have insisted that I had to try all the fast food places like In N Out Burger that are unique and therefore made sure we didn't waste a bunch of money on more expensive restaurants so that I would make sure we would just happen to have $202.00 left over. It might be information I needed. So I looked it up.

But it was NOT me who suggested it. Just sayin'.

And I was also NOT the person that suggested Suzy might be able to come up with an itinerary for us since she was just at Disneyland for 5 days in June. No. It was Donald who suggested I contact Suzy to make sure we could do two parks in one day. And it was Suzy herself who volunteered to make me an impromptu but totally thorough itinerary and e-mail it to me. NOT me. Just sayin'.

I am utterly innocent of any Disney manipulations.

But when everything was said and done, I got to go to DISNEYLAND!!!! Walt's original dream. His risky venture. The invention of theme parks as we know them. I rode Walt's train. I walked down Walt's hometown imitation. And imagined myself imagining it all.

I am so totally guilty.

I absolutely promise not to bore you to tears with non-Disney things but if I may be permitted before carrying on with my Disney passion, I mentioned other passions. And weddings are one of them. I adore weddings. My dream world is one where I own acreage and a wedding venue. And Suzy and I and Donald run every detail of couple's special day. So this trip was wonderful right off the bat as the wedding we were working was amazing. The couple is fantastic, their families are so open and giving, and the scenery and venue were gorgeous. And the video we (Donald as I am typing this) are making is stinkin' fabulous! It's gonna be more than they ever hoped for.

Another thing Donald and I are crazy about is nature. We aren't gardeners or one with nature. We aren't granolas (though I do LOVE granola and I have been known to hug trees from time to time, including on this trip.) We don't eat only organic. We aren't and have never been farmers. That all being said we have been know to set alarms for 3 am and awaken our entire family to go out in the dead of winter and look at meteor showers. We do take family walks almost weekly if it all possible slowing down to check out whatever is currently interesting in the woods. We keep tadpoles in buckets hoping they'll turn into frogs before our eyes. And we drove when Boo was only 18 months old 4,000 miles round trip to Yellowstone just so we could see bears and geysers and rocks and stuff.

So crazy might really describe us when it comes to nature. Nature just blows my mind. It's unfathomable that it exists. It's out of the realm of reality that these things exist. And yet they DO exist. Rocks really do shoot through the atmosphere in a gorgeous display, boiling water does shoot out of the ground spontaneously, and trees bigger than any other living things on earth (including whales) have been alive for over 2,000 years. It's kind of like Disney parks. Pure fantasy. And yet... you can touch it and see it.

OK. So, just a few pics from the non-Disney part of our trip.

First off we drove up the 101 to the wedding location stopping to see surfers. There were hundreds of truly talented surfers this morning. It was a grey, foggy, miserable morning and so only the true surfers were out. I've never seen anything like them. They never fell off. They would ride the wave forever and when it crashed they would still be standing on their boards. I'd say the average age was 50. And there were miles and miles of them.

We were kid free. I did eventually miss them, especially at Disney. But right here, those first three days were so blissful.

And finally, here are the trees! Look at Donald standing on the ground in between them. CRAZY! And these aren't the biggest ones. You can't get a full picture of them because it just won't fit in the camera when you're close enough to recognize the person you're taking a picture of. NUTS! If you ever go to Disneyland drive the long 4 hours into the mountains and see the trees!

Thanks for humoring me.

And now to Disney! As soon as we had cell signal on our way to LA I made priceline ressies on my iphone and got the Holiday Inn 1 block away from Disney for $55.00. Awesome!

We also checked the weather. 70% chance of pouring rain and thundershowers. You would think this would have made us sad. But not really. Because it had poured or been foggy or cold or in some way miserable since the moment we set foot in California. So 70% chance or terrible weather was what we were expecting. We did swing by a Target and buy ponchos and a little backpack. Cause we are very Disney-savvy and know secrets. Even when we are unexpectedly going to a park we don't know.

We drove right there, checked in, and ran right back out to check out Downtown Disney. And to buy our tickets so we'd be all set to follow Suzy's plan the following morning.

Our hotel was right beside Mickey & Friends parking garage. This seems awesome as we could see Disney property from our hotel window. But really it was a giant wall. It was a half mile walk to Downtown Disney entrance. A pleasant walk, but we'd been hiking or working for days and I was tired. So I was excited to see this:

We also walked past the Disneyland Hotel but it was too dark to get a nice photo.

At first we walked around a bit and checked out the stores. Compared to Orlando's Downtown Disney, California's is awesome. It makes Orlando's look stupid. I'm still confused by Pleasure Island closing. It made Orlando's not stupid. I've felt that for awhile. But after walking down Disneyland's DTD, which is well thought out and useful, Orlando's is even more annoying. They have everything cool on one end, and empty hole in the middle, and then stupid things, and then Cirque and Disneyquest. Why not fill in the stupid stuff in the middle?

Anyway, this Downtown Disney was AWESOME!!!

Cool sweatshirt:

At some point in our meandering I asked a CM where I could buy tickets and she said, "At the parks." So I said, "When do the ticket windows close?" And she said, "In four minutes." What? So Donald and I take off running. We skid into the ticket window and buy our tickets quick as can be. Then I ask the lady, "Can I have maps of the parks?" And she says, "Only at the fronts gates."

Now the way this is set up is California Adventure is just across the way from Disneyland. Just a small courtyard. And the ticket window for both is off to one side of Disneyland entrance. So Donald runs to Disneyland and I take off across the courtyard to grab a CA map. They are closing the gate as I get there and I yell, "Can I just have a map?" So the nice CM gives me two and a time schedule. I dash back across the way and Disneyland was OUT of maps. So I spend a few minutes asking the people exiting if I can have their map, but no one can find one. Donald finally gets on from some random person.

And we meander casually back into Downtown Disney like nothing happened.

Nothing to see here. No insane people running frantically around the Disney courtyard with four minutes to get 2 maps, a schedule, and tickets. Accosting innocent guests and demanding their beat up maps.

Nope. Nothing to see.

Before anyone saw it coming, we were back in a store innocently shopping, two tickets to paradise in my purse.

We then decided to wander through Disneyland hotel. Mostly so I could tell you all about it. Or maybe it's because it was right on our way to our hotel and I was a little curious. You can decide what to believe.

I it. Truly it isn't anything special. And certainly not worth the extra $100's compared to my perfectly acceptable $55.00 hotel ALSO in walking distance to the parks. And the pool was LAME!

Here's the entrance from DTD:

And the pool:

Check in area:

Store:

Typical Disney stuff, right? Really it was very typical and not nearly as nice as the nice WDW hotels. Really, really.

Until, that is, you get to the wall of Walt memorabilia! Hello! Pictures of all the stars to visit Mickey over the years.

The memorabilia. I wanted to a picture of all the pictures. Of all the stuff. Donald and I just wandered around for a long time. It was great. But I'll just post one of Walt and one of a famous person.

And here I am in the front with the giant Mickey which says very clearly in giant letters: "Do Not Climb!" I, of course, ignored this.

On the walk home Donald and I had a tiny argument. I had wanted to get a drink at the bar in the Disneyland hotel but he hadn't found it very appealing as he is easily intimidated by any amount of people. And there were (shocking!) people at the bar. So he wanted to get a drink in our room. The problem with that is I had bought myself a bottle of rum at the beginning of the trip. He, two days later, bought a bottle of scotch. Which I hate. This shouldn't be an issue. Except, as always, and yes I mean ALWAYS, he drank all the rum first. We've been married 16 years. He surely knows I hate scotch. And if he loves it SO much, why drink all my rum?

Anyway, we had this tiny fight. Because I was now drinkless. And being marched back to my hotel drinkless. That's just wrong. So I sulked up to the bedroom while he grabbed his sunglasses out of the car and climbed into bed with my hard earned maps and Suzy's plan to plot out the next day.

No sooner had I gotten into bed than Donald came in with a rum and diet coke for me. I guess sometimes he DOES listen to me. Kinda. So I happily drank my drink and then we went to bed because Suzy's schedule had us at the front gate at 7:00 a.m. Yikes!

But you know the secret to not standing in lines? Get there early! It works even better at Disneyland!

Stay tuned.....
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #90
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Awesome diversion...

I just have to say that before Donald and Perla headed out to California, I kept asking Perla how she could stay away from Disney. I had just been and loved it. She rolled her eyes and said Donald would never agree to go without the girls. You sneaky wife, you!! When Perla texted me to tell me she had just bought a priceline room in Anaheim, my adrenline started pumping. Soooo excited for them. It was late on Monday evening and when I got off the phone I called for Buzz to get me his DisneyLand book from his room and sat down at my computer to check for park times and attraction closings, Milo smiled at me and said, "project!" in a sing song voice.

I can't wait to hear the rest about your day at DL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: