Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
wlake
DIS Veteran

Ah, if only my boys liked pb & j! I can't get over how much those prepackaged lunch type things cost and how unhealthy they are! We make homemade Lunchables here. A cheese stick, some crackers, and and a couple of slices of deli ham and they're happy.

As to the half marathon -- yes, you're nuts! I don't even run down the driveway! Good luck!

I hope you'll feel better sooner than you think!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #32
estherhead
DIS Veteran

We are here!!!

Easy flight, great magical express experience (though luggage isn't here). I love por!!! Love! Totally better than values. More later.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #33
wlake
DIS Veteran

Whoo hoo! Glad you made it and are having a good time! Say hi to POR for me -- wish I was there!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #34
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Yay!! You are there!! Hope you do not get to and can enjoy your trip!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #35
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlake View Post
Whoo hoo! Glad you made it and are having a good time! Say hi to POR for me -- wish I was there!
It is lovely! Wish you were here too, tho I wouldn't know it more than likely. But for your sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Yay!! You are there!! Hope you do not get to and can enjoy your trip!
I'm feeling good! Today I was at 90%!!! I'm keeping up with my get healthy regime mostly so I hope I keep getting better!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #36
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I tried photobucket ap but it is too smart for me so no pics. Bummer. We are having a great time. Did mk yesterday and epcot today. It's so empty here! I have ap's in hand now. I almost chickened out today because it is such a commitment but donald, Milo, and Suzy talked sense into
me and I upgraded. It was stressful to spend the money but I'm content with the choice after a good dinner, nice swim, and a super great day overall! Can't wait to tell you all about it!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #37
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Glad you're having a good time and feeling decent. We were there last year this same week and had very low crowds...glad that it seems to be that way for you! And I don't think you'll regret the APs!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #38
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Glad you're having a good time and feeling decent. We were there last year this same week and had very low crowds...glad that it seems to be that way for you! And I don't think you'll regret the APs!
Yeah I feel happy about the aps now although it's a great responsibility to be carrying around so much money with the hd camera, regular camera, and $1000.00 worth of tickets!

I'm on the bus to ak right now! It's our lion king/zoo day!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #39
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I'm baaaaack!!!!!

Hi all! Just a quick note to say we are back from our best Disney World trip EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite ready to start my TR but as soon as I get everything put together here I will start! I cannot wait to tell you how super awesome it was in every gory detail.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #40
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Day One: The trip begins with a bang!

So my trip began as all good trips, and bad trips for that matter, without being able to sleep. There is just something about getting ready to go on a trip that makes me not be able to sleep.

I slept 6 hours, which is good for me before a trip, but I woke up at 4 am and that was that. I tried to watch t.v. but it's summer and I'm already caught up on all the good stuff from the summer so my Tivo was empty. And it's 4 am. Even on demand was sorry. I ended up watching the TO show. He may be rich but my life is way better.

So at 9 am my Donald and big girls left to visit Donald's family as it was Labor day so they all had it off. I was packing and Boo says,
"Mommy, where are we going?"
"Disney World?"
"Really?"
I think she had lost all hope. We had been talking it up & watching our old videos and looking at old scrapbooks for so long she didn't think it would happen. Her next question, though, made me really laugh:
"Are we flying to Disney World in a balloon?"

So I had just a few things to get at Wal-Mart and I needed to get my stroller out of the van and I'd be all ready. So Boo and I were ready to go so we went to hop in the van. Oh no! It's gone! Donald had taken it! This never occurred to me because he always takes his truck but he figured if I was being picked up he's just travel in comfort. Bummer is, the stroller was in there! I called Donald in a panic. We decided to leave it at my s-i-l house on her porch which is right next to the airport. Whew. Emergency over.

Then I went to Wal-Mart and got just a few last minute things.

When we got home I told Boo that Grandma would pick us up. She was SO excited that she sat outside the house on a little bench we have waiting for Grandma. Wearing her backpack, of course:

In no time at all Mom & I were headed back to her house (she only lives a mile from me) to get Suzy and Jack. I talked to my dad for a bit while Suzy unloaded her van and locked it all up. Jack insisted on unloading his airplane backpack much to the annoyance of Mom and Suzy.

Mom was busy making Jack lunch as he hadn't eaten at home. Truth be told, he didn't eat this either.

I, naturally, let him as it was cute and I wanted to video tape him.

Here they are on my parent's floor telling me all about flying to Disney World:

Once we were all loaded up in Mom's Highlander we went to the bank, grabbed drinks, picked the stroller up from my s-i-l's porch and went to the airport! We parked in the first long term parking lot we came to & got a killer parking spot. I took a photo with my phone as is my custom before I was reminded that I would not be with them when they got back. So then Mom took a pic with her phone.

I had a TON of stuff as I had packed my big girl's too. So for just Boo and I, I had 2 giant suitcases, a bag, a backpack, a purse, and Boo's backpack. And a stroller. And Boo. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to handle it all by myself but I did great!

My "helpers"

We saw a plane fly over while we were waiting for the shuttle and I asked them where it was going, assuming, naturally, that they would say "Disney World."

Boo said, "New York!" while Jack immediately said, "California!" Guess we haven't trained them right.

We hopped the shuttle and were quickly on our way.

Here we are in the airplane. Boo is very excited as we take off. Jack is just annoyed as he had dropped his Woody & we all refused to get it (since we were actually taking off!) Thank goodness kindly people handed it one to another up to him. Thank you good people!

They insisted on sitting next to each other which was great for Suzy & me. 2 hours kid free!
Whose glad we brought Grandma?

It's a direct flight so we landed & went directly to the Magical Express which left almost immediately after we got on! Woohoo!

Start the movie!

Our resort came up so quick I didn't have my camera ready:

Grabbing our stuff:

And just like that we were in line for the online check in. We had paid more for a water view and I had called a few days earlier the POR front desk itself and asked for building 14. I have never had a request granted so I didn't really expect anything. But indeed we got Building 14 directly in line of sight of the main building. Score!

While Suzy was getting that information, I was in charge of Boo & Jack. I, of course, was video taping them and video footage is only interesting if you let kids be themsleves, which almost always means let them be bad. I let them destroy this couch & taped the whole thing:

Gorgeous lobby:

What's that? Couch destruction?
Trust me, this was only the beginning:

And then it was off to our room!

But you'll have to wait. Sorry

I meant to do more tonight but a major tornado tore through my town a few hours ago so I spent quite a little bit of tonight texting my friends & listening to news. A local high school got hit hard and schools are cancelled (not my kid's) and many are injured, some dead. So I have a valid excuse! I swear. We are all fine with electricity & no damage at all. But tomorrow ought to be nuts at work so I'm off to bed.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #41
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Welcome back!! So happy your trip was so great!! I am sorry about the destruction in your town
I will be back to read when I get back next week!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #42
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Welcome back!! So happy your trip was so great!! I am sorry about the destruction in your town
I will be back to read when I get back next week!!
Thanks! Hope you have a great time too.

Ends up the damage isn't too, too horrible. Lots of trees down & roofs with damage & a trailer park destroyed. Still lots of power lines down & broken gas lines. But I think in general everything can be patched up by Monday with the exception, perhaps, of the high school and few buildings which were totally demolished. But I think we were all lucky. It could have been a LOT worse! And it's the first tornado to hit our town in 50 years.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #43
burly
DIS Veteran

This is great. I'm in!

KIM
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #44
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
This is great. I'm in!

KIM
Welcome! Just in time for another mini-update! Off to write.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
estherhead
DIS Veteran

To the room!

So first I have to back up. I forgot to tell you all that Boo had to use the potty on the airplane. This was seriously an experience. As an adult I always think the potty on the airplane is slightly scary. It's small & the toilet seems like it will suck you down it. Now imagine it with a distrustful, suspicious three year old. On & off she went. It was just so scary! I mean there is wind hitting your booty. But she was finally able to settle and go. And then the hand washing was tricky as you have to hold the water down but she didn't want help. After seemingly forever in the tiniest bathroom ever she managed to have gone potty AND wash her hands. Whew.

Also, I bought a Bacardi party pack of tiny rum bottles that I took on the plane so Mom & I had ourselves a little plane party!

Now, back to POR. We were all checked in and ready to vacation. We walked out the main doors toward the back of POR, which was the only time we did this. The placement of our room made us normally go out & in the side door of the food court. But at this moment we went toward the Ole Man Island and turned left towards the giant water wheel. I've seen photo after photo of it. I get it. It's photogenic. But I didn't think it was that big of a deal when I saw it online. In person, however, it is VERY impressive. We stood there a bit on the bridge and watched it. No pics as it was night. But we really wanted to see our room so our awe was short lived.

We find building 14 (pretty easy since it's the first one.) Then we go up the ramp and follow the sign. We were maybe 5 doors from that. So all in all it was less than a two minute walk to the food court. Sweet!

We were on the lookout for frogs as Boo LOVES frogs and sure enough I saw one immediately.

And to greet us:

And the Mickey head lasted barely long enough for me to photograph it:

And check it out!

Double windows looking over the river. Best room ever! Well, best room for a non-Magic Kingdom resort.

Bathing suit time!

I still wasn't feeling 100% so I didn't get in a bathing suit and Boo didn't have her swimmer suit so we mainly hung out in the baby pool. They have lifejackets you can use but you have to sign them out & I just didn't feel like it for just a short swim.

I was surprised at how beautiful the tiles in this pool are. You normally just see photos of the slide view. But since we were mainly baby-pooling it I spent quite a bit of time eyeballing the alligator & frog tiles. Gorgeous!

See how pretty they are all around this?

The big pool:

I headed back to the room with my refillable mug full of diet caffeine free Coke and added a bit of pomegranate rum. Mmmm... Then I did my nightly ritual of neti potting (youtube it if you wanna be grossed out) and Zicamming and taking my handful of pills. I was still sick and since my history of Disney World is that the cold I have BEFORE my trips always turns into a RAGING infection ON my trips I was being methodical. I had even used my neti pot in the airport which was quite the experience. Would it pay off? Only time would tell.

By this point it'd been 3 hours since we landed. So I called the luggage area to ask when our luggage would be delivered. They said it's 3 hours from check-in so probably around 10 p.m. So we watched a bit of t.v. (no clue what, I wasn't really paying attention) and then my pills started to kick in and I fell asleep. Which was unfortunate as the luggage was delivered about a half hour after I fell asleep at 11 p.m. which means I woke up & had trouble sleeping again. I had refrigerated stuff in a cooler in my bag so I got up to put it in the fridge and then I was AWAKE! Curses! I'm trying to be healthy here and as everyone knows sleep is pretty critical to getting healthy. Grrrr...

The good news was that Boo & I had a bed to ourselves. Suzy, Mom, and Jack-Jack were in the other bed/trundle. Jack didn't want to stay in the trundle so Suzy ended up on it. Sigh. We ended up all taking turns by the end of the trip but more on that later. This night I had a bed to myself and I slept from about midnight to 5:20 a.m.

I had no intention of getting up at 5:20 but I bizarrely woke up with hiccups. It was weird but I decided to get up & get water hoping they would go away and also thought I would Neti pot as I was quite stuffy so I turned the sink on & it broke. No joke. The handle on the cold water just fell right off. It was 5:21 and I wasn't having a great day.

I climbed back into bed (though the entire room was awake thanks to my loud hiccups & loud crash when the metal handle smashed into the porcelain sink. We i-phone scrabbled for a bit. Then Mom got up to have some quiet time somewhere while Suzy & I got ready and got the kids ready. I flat ironed my hair and put makeup on. Which of course turned out to be a giant mistake! I didn't make such a mistake again.

I called the front desk and told them about the broken sink and I packed up. And we were ready to go!

Off to fill our refillable mugs! True confession. I put a bit of drink in Boo's non sanctioned Disney princess water bottle. Suzy reprimanded me for stealing $.03 worth of drink but I was not guilty. I could have put it in my refillable mug & then dumped it in her bottle and then filled my mug with what I wanted. Then it wouldn't have been stealing. But I just skipped a step. Seriously, no one seemed to care. I know I shouldn't be posting such shocking talk on Disboards but I just had to include it. I mean, this is a detailed TR and that is one of the details.

I also paused at the front desk and asked about my family getting a super cool room too when they came in 4 days and the front desk lady had the gaul to say, "We do have a room in building 14 for those dates. If you're willing to pay full price, no discount, and give up your package." Hello? Is she nuts? I have a kids stay, play, eat free deal. $1300.00 for 4 nights 5 days for 5 people. You think I'm gonna give that up to pay $854.00 for just room? Crazy. I almost laughed but she was a very serious older woman who did not seem like she was joking?

Early morning at Chef Mickey's! We got to the bus stop at 7:00 which was WAY too late. But we didn't know that. We should have, but we didn't. Our ADR was 7:20. The bus took FOREVER to get there. A full 20 minutes.

So it was well past 7:20 when we pulled up to MK. And the bus was full of lots of other people going to Chef Mickey's.

This made it slightly awkward as we are all super-walkers. And so it was as if we were all on a race to Chef Mickey's. Who would get there first? Well, of course, us! Duh. Suzy broke away from the pack while Mom & I got the strollers ready to go. And she booked it. Overtook a few people at the cross walk. Passed the rest at the entrance. And by the time Mom & I huffed and puffed our way there our table was already ready.

SCORE!

So the big question was: Would Boo freak out with the characters???

Last edited by estherhead; 09-17-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: