Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
wlake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Last week???? Were the gardens still gorgeous even in August? We chose it because you can have five people in a room and also because my mom loves gardening and it seemed like it has gorgeous landscaping but I'm a little worried it'll be past it's prime in early September.

And I always wonder that. When I passed TSM last year and the wait was 110 minutes I couldn't believe it. Who waits 110 minutes for a 3 minute arcade game? I mean I TSM but not 110 minutes worth of love.
We were in Alligator Bayou, which didn't have much in the way of flowers but the landscaping was amazing. We didn't see much of the mansions -- we rented a surrey bike and rode around but we were too busy trying not to run anyone over to see anything!

I would do the same guarding the dresses thing to get my niece one, too. Luckily for me, my sister has friends with girls who have outgrown dressing up!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
1moremile
Earning My Ears

Just finished reading your TR and am anxious to hear about this trip.

A question though...did you check-in online for POR? DH and I are going 9/30 - didn't know anything about online check-in (I have so many DISboard tricks to learn!).

Great job on making the toiletry bag Disney!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
wlake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moremile View Post

A question though...did you check-in online for POR? DH and I are going 9/30 - didn't know anything about online check-in (I have so many DISboard tricks to learn!).

We've checked in online for POR for the past two years. This year it was great -- I walked up to the counter, showed them my driver's license, was handed my info and shown where to go on a map and was walking away from the counter in about 5 minutes. Last year, I was there for almost 45 minutes because the CM just couldn't seem to get it right. Now I agree with everyone else -- online check in is great!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlake View Post
We were in Alligator Bayou, which didn't have much in the way of flowers but the landscaping was amazing. We didn't see much of the mansions -- we rented a surrey bike and rode around but we were too busy trying not to run anyone over to see anything!

I would do the same guarding the dresses thing to get my niece one, too. Luckily for me, my sister has friends with girls who have outgrown dressing up!
hand me downs! Alligator Bayou is where we'll be too. What fun to rent a surrey bike! I wonder if that would appeal to my mom? Maybe I'll show her a picture. Although knowing me, I'd be driving into the actual alligator bayou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moremile View Post

Yes, we did check in online. We did it our last trip too & it was great! The DIS is so awesome! I love all the tips & I love sharing tips. And WELCOME!

Quote:
We've checked in online for POR for the past two years. This year it was great -- I walked up to the counter, showed them my driver's license, was handed my info and shown where to go on a map and was walking away from the counter in about 5 minutes. Last year, I was there for almost 45 minutes because the CM just couldn't seem to get it right. Now I agree with everyone else -- online check in is great!!
Weee!!!!! I hope ours goes this smoothly because I have to get Boo & my tickets off my KTW so I can upgrade them to AP's. I've been told you do this at the concierge but I'm assuming it'll be a bit of an ordeal so if check in can go quickly then it'll be ok if I burn a half hour at the concierge.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Applique my toes?

Donald and I were out and about this morning and he says, "So what needs to be done between right now and when you leave Sunday?" I suddenly felt slightly nauseous. In that, "Is it just butterflies of excitement or am I freaking out pondering what has to be done between now & Sunday?"

So I have spent this day accomplishing things. I've colored my hair, cleaned the pool (so we can close it before we leave), worked on my secular job, wrote lists, and painted Mickeys where you can't add fabric:

I also hemmed a pair of Michael Kors jeans that fit me perfectly but are too short into shorts:

In addition to this I've watched bits & pieces of the Sword and the Stone and am currently finishing up Pirates of Caribbean (the first one.) My house is clean (mostly) and I have a bunch of business meetings this week where I'm planning on delegating all of my jobs to everyone else at work.

So maybe it was excitement. But probably it was all that I still have to do

Either way, I'll be at Disney in a week!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

You are so cute. and yes I agree with you Disney can be a verb, I mean if you can do the Dew ( we all remember that commercial right?) you can do the Disney.

The toe nails are super cute, I experiment with Mickey heads all the time, I have my favorite swirly mickey head that I like to draw on all of the lane accountability tags at work, (my coworkers love this) I also dabble in the nail art area.

I am getting so excited for my tirp this December, you have me wanting to make lists and applique things.

Oh and no, you are not my guinea pig, I mean I'm not going to make you sleep in a tent at Disney, but if you by chance end up doing so, I want to hear all about it and see some pictures.

A while ago between my 2007 and 2009 trip Kent and I had talked about camping there, and I found a sight here on this dis that had all kinds of ppictures, you would be amazed at how done up some of the camp sights were, I am talking mini fridges and fans, plastic tote dressers. It was awesome.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #22
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

My hubby loves him some Goodwill shopping!! He has found many a great deal! Wow, one week to go!! very exciting!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #23
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
You are so cute. and yes I agree with you Disney can be a verb, I mean if you can do the Dew ( we all remember that commercial right?) you can do the Disney.

The toe nails are super cute, I experiment with Mickey heads all the time, I have my favorite swirly mickey head that I like to draw on all of the lane accountability tags at work, (my coworkers love this) I also dabble in the nail art area.

A while ago between my 2007 and 2009 trip Kent and I had talked about camping there, and I found a sight here on this dis that had all kinds of ppictures, you would be amazed at how done up some of the camp sights were, I am talking mini fridges and fans, plastic tote dressers. It was awesome.
Thanks Can I see your toes & swirls? I like any inspiration I can get! I'm not very good at any of the stuff, but at least it makes me happy!

And yes, I've checked out those tent camping pics! I can only dream at being as cool as them! Suzy & I both have giant tents for our families and she's gonna buy a screen house. And we have a plug in cooler that's like a fridge so we might be able to come close. It'll depend on our table situation. And we for sure would take a waffle iron, her plug in super awesome griddle, and a crockpot. I really think it sounds awesome and relaxing. But we'll see. It's hard to talk men into working on vacation when you can get a hotel right next to Disney off Priceline for $29.00 and the camp site is like $80.00. And let's face it, even camping at Disney is more work than staying in a hotel. I can pretend it isn't, but it is. It just appeals to me because then my kids aren't on top of my head in a tiny hotel room. And eating out of a crockpot, though not exciting, is actually more relaxing for me than sitting at a TS with a 3-4 year old. And certainly cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
My hubby loves him some Goodwill shopping!! He has found many a great deal! Wow, one week to go!! very exciting!!
Another smart Goodwill shopper! I didn't mention my non-Disney finds this week. I found winter boots for me for $2.00! And other exciting stuff I won't bore you with. But we had two bags for $15.00. Washed it and we're good to go.

I also found an almost brand new Coach bag at a yard sale for $5.00. Suzy receives kudos for this too as we were yard sale-ing together and there was this yard sale in a barn and I was all, "No, it's too far out," and she was all, "Do you have some place you need to be?" So we head out there & she's checking out baby gear for a friend and I see it! It wasn't priced and so I asked the lady how much & she said $5.00 and I said "SOLD!!!!" Suzy said it totally should have been hers since we wouldn't even have gone there without her determination, yet it seems my wallet & phone fit in it sooo nicely. Sigh. I love yard sales & Goodwill & 90% off sales. I like my multiple vacations per year and still living within my means (mostly.)
Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Getting in the Mood

So Donald had the great idea to watch all of our Disney videos from 2007 on. We make all our Disney video/photos into movies. This past year we even made a music video.

Anyway, we're currently watching 2007, our first year doing free dining. I thought I'd just post you all some highlights of each trip as I watch the movie.

2007:

We went to the Pirate Princess party. I LOVED this party. Best fireworks I've ever seen set to Pirates of Caribbean soundtrack. We dressed up. Donald & I as pirates. The big girls as princesses. And my mom made Boo a parrot costume so when she was in her baby carrier on Donald she would look like the pirate's parrot:

We also went to Magical Beginnings EMH at Fantasyland. TONS of characters out playing games. Mulan & Ariel got to play duck,duck, goose with the fab five & Mulan got to make Mickey the goose. Wonderful memory this morning.

This was also our first time at the water parks. I loved Typhoon Lagoon. But the girls fell in love with Blizzard Beach. AND we did the Barber Shop in MK:

Now, we've moved onto our 2008 video. We stayed offsite in a rental house in Windsor Hills. So much space! And a super cool princess room:

We had a great time in 2007 at our character meals but Suzy & Milo hadn't done it. This year they got introduced and love it:

Donald & I did Cirque:

We got to do Disneyquest:

And Toy Story Mania was BRAND new. We had no idea the rope drop would be that crazy!

And, of course, a highlight of mine is ALWAYS naptime! I get to sit on a bench and people watch!

And I took a picture of the best drink in the world:
Grand Marnier slushie!

Buzz & Mulan BOTH got picked to fight Darth Vader!

Oh happy crowd!

And now we are watching out 2010 video. We made this per person, instead of chronologically. So each adult & child made their own 2 minute video & we bumped them one against the other. Suzy made Jack-Jack's and I made Boo's since they are not capable of make a video yet.

So in my next post I'll do a highlight of each of our future 2010-2011 (& 2009) Disney clan. (picture count or I'd just do it in this one.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
estherhead
DIS Veteran

2009:

We got three rooms at All Star Music. One of my favorite resort photos:

And the cast in the order of their age:

Jack-Jack high-fiving his hero:

Boo striking a pose at AK:

McQueen at DTD:

Ariel at Rafiki's Planet. She LOVES cats in all sizes. Even cut outs!

Mulan choosing an oyster:

Buzz doing what he does best: video arcade!

Charming getting drenched:

Donald ready to party the MK!

Perla, enjoying Playhouse Disney with Boo:

Suzy, whirling the primeval way:

Milo, happy to have been rocketed into space with his boys:

And my mom (and dad who isn't coming on this trip), who was just at Disney one day but will be there in a week for 4 days!!!

That's us having fun at Disney.

Now I'm off to pull out suitcases and have a family discussion (read: fight) about what songs (we'll need three! ) to make music videos to this year.

We bought an HD video camera last year and you can really see the quality difference watching them all back to back! Yippee for Photopass & Hd video! I better learn to use the HD camera since I'll be there for four days without Donald. And no Photopass for this shorter trip. In March we will, though.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
Dugette
DIS Veteran

I'm on board! I love hearing about other people's Years of Disney! You're going so soon!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #27
wlake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
hand me downs! Alligator Bayou is where we'll be too. What fun to rent a surrey bike! I wonder if that would appeal to my mom? Maybe I'll show her a picture. Although knowing me, I'd be driving into the actual alligator bayou.
We had a great time on the surrey bike! It was so much fun! DH steered, so my steering wheel was just for show, but I sure used it a lot -- I thought he was going to drive us off the path or run people over several times! (People do have the right of way, but the guy we were renting it from told us if you ring the bell, they'll get out of the way. He was so right!)

We got a 2 person bike, as we were told they're 150 lbs. lighter than the 4 person ones. We've stayed at POR 3 times now, and I've walked the surrey bike path many times, and I had no idea there were so many inclines until I was pedaling up them! There's only one that's a tiny bit steep, though. We put DS5 in the basket where he could ring the bell (did he ever enjoy that!) and DS8, who's very thin, fit on the seat between us. You can easily do 2 laps of the place in the 30 minutes. I hadn't been on a bike in 10, 12 years, and it wasn't hard.

You're almost there! Have a great trip!

Last edited by wlake; 08-31-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Evidently, you can't use the sk word that means the same thing as thin without it getting censored!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #28
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
I'm on board! I love hearing about other people's Years of Disney! You're going so soon!
Welcome! I can't wait! And I'm taking my iphone (of course) and have uploaded the Photobucket ap so I'm hoping for some live photos for you all. Just a little appetizer

Quote:
We had a great time on the surrey bike! It was so much fun! DH steered, so my steering wheel was just for show, but I sure used it a lot -- I thought he was going to drive us off the path or run people over several times! (People do have the right of way, but the guy we were renting it from told us if you ring the bell, they'll get out of the way. He was so right!)

We got a 2 person bike, as we were told they're 150 lbs. lighter than the 4 person ones. We've stayed at POR 3 times now, and I've walked the surrey bike path many times, and I had no idea there were so many inclines until I was pedaling up them! There's only one that's a tiny bit steep, though. We put DS5 in the basket where he could ring the bell (did he ever enjoy that!) and DS8, who's a skinny thing, fit on the seat between us. You can easily do 2 laps of the place in the 30 minutes. I hadn't been on a bike in 10, 12 years, and it wasn't hard.

You're almost there! Have a great trip!
I think I'm putting this on my short list of new things to do. But I think I'll wait till Donald is with me so he can do all the work

I can see our kids getting a big hoot out of this and they all bike quite regularly.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #29
estherhead
DIS Veteran

A fourth trip?

Guess what? I'm possible, could be, probably will, plan a FOURTH TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

My niece came up to me today & asked me to run the Princess half marathon and I'm really, really considering it. I just posted on the WISH board lots of questions. It's the end of February & we'd go super cheap, just the two of us.

Ahhh!!!!!

Here's how my conversation went with Donald:

"So, K. asked me to run the Princess Half Marathon in February 2011. I'm considering it. I'd do it cheap and only be gone 4 days. What do you think?"

"A HALF MARATHON? You mean 13 miles?"

"Yup."

"I think you're nuts."

"Why?"

"I just think you are crazy."

"Because I'd be going to Disney 4 times in 1 year or because I'd like to run 13 miles?

Donald paused for a REALLY long time. "Uhmmm..... is that a trick question? I stand at my original statement. You're crazy."

Yup, count me in. I'm nuts.

In my defense: I'm PMSing AND I just worked like 36 of the last 48 hours.

I think I'm doing pretty well.

In answer to his accusation, I grabbed my headphones, put on my running shoes and went and ran 3 miles. TAKE that! (Hope I can walk tomorrow.)
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #30
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I'm VERY annoyed. But not really.

Yup, you read that right. I'm annoyed, but not really. I have a cold. Every hour that passes today it is getting worse. It'll be full blown by Saturday. Just two days before I leave for WDW. And it'll turn into a sinus infection which will ruin my entire fall and I'll be sick till early December. It's VERY annoying to know this about the next 3 months of your life. That they will be ruined.

So I'm VERY annoyed.

Except not really. Because for many a fall this is EXACTLY what always happens to me. And so it's just par for the course for me. So I'm so used to it I'm having trouble being upset. I wonder what Disney would be like not sick? No, don't tell me. It's better this way.

But on with my day. I took this morning off because I've been pushing it with the work and with me getting a cold I figured I out to take it a bit easy. But now I don't have the leisure to do that. Too much to get done. I have to take the girls to the dentist here soon & have some work errands to run as well as getting food for the family for the next week.

TIP ALERT!

But I wanted to give you all another money saving tip. I bought (got this tip right here on the family Disboards!!!) I make my own uncrustable! They are outrageous at the store, but so very handy for those busy school mornings.

I bought this on ebay:

It's a Pampered chef cutter thingie. It was $10.00 with shipping several years ago.

I buy p.b. by the cartload when it's $1.00 at Kroger and use coupons or buy cheap jelly to get it for $2.00 a jar. Then I get the $1.00 a loaf bread. You can make 20 uncrustables from 1/4 jar of jelly, 2 loaves of bread, and 1 jar p.b.

When you count the cost of the ziploc baggies it costs $.20 per sandwich.

You have to make them the day you buy the bread. They are infinitely better when made with very soft bread. Mmmm...

And you put a thin layer of p.b. on both pieces of bread so it sitcks to each other better. Don't go all the way to the edges, that's a waste.

And then cut them:

See how awesome they are? Boo doesn't really like pb & j but with the soft white bread & made into a pocket she'll eat it right up.

So with mini water bottles, uncrustables in the freezer, individual cups of applesauce, and whatever treat they pick: they can EASILY pack their own lunches in seconds each morning. Woohoo!!!!

So that's my tip. Save money by making 2 weeks worth of lunches all at once for only $4.00.

Off to the dentist!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: