Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #151
merbobear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Thanks! I'm about to wrap this trip up and start posting my pre-trip stuff for our trip in mid-March. Sooooo exciting!

I'm sorry about the secret spot, but it was for the Block Party Bash and now it's new parade. Block Party Bash would stop & set up and dance in one spot so if you got stuck in a spot where the characters were ones your kids didn't care about it was lame. The new parade is a Pixar only parade and it doesn't stop and is a little short, so I've heard. We haven't seen it yet. So I can't any secrets.

When are you going?
Ohh gotcha! We are going May 2-9 and staying at Pop Century. I've done WDW once before, but it was almost 13 years ago - this will be my daughter's first trip!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #152
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
Ohh gotcha! We are going May 2-9 and staying at Pop Century. I've done WDW once before, but it was almost 13 years ago - this will be my daughter's first trip!
Oh what fun! How old will she be? I loved WDW when my dh & I went by ourselves. I thought it was so romantic. And then we went just one day when our eldest was a baby and again for one day when Ariel was 3 months old. But the next trip when they were 3.5 and 2 we fell in love with it.

Ask any questions you have!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #153
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

I lost track of your report but got all caught up tonight. The September trip sounded fabulous, I can't believe how un-crowded it was for you! I'm curious how Suzy found the crowds the week after Thanksgiving as we are planning on going for that week this year.

The girls all looked beautiful with their face paintings, definitely worth the $ splurge

Looking forward to hearing about the camping experience and your stay at the Dolphin - DH and I are thinking of staying there for 3 nights while my MIL takes the girls on the cruise during our next trip.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #154
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm curious how Suzy found the crowds the week after Thanksgiving as we are planning on going for that week this year.
The crowds thin out on Monday after Thanksgiving until Friday, then they pick up again. This year we actually went Friday after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) and the weekend. With smart planning and getting to the parks early we had no problems. Never stood in line longer than 15 minutes (maybe 20). However, walking around the parks that weekend can feel oppressive sometimes. It's a lovely time of year to go. We had great weather this year but it can also be unpredictable. We've gone this week for the last several years and the crowds have definitely increased the last two years. You will have a great time.

This year we're going during spring break and mid June so our touring skills will be put to the test!!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #155
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Switching to spring break:

And now it's time to begin our Spring trip pretrippie in earnest.

Here is the rough sketch:

We will pick up our kids the moment school is over & begin our 14 hour drive, stopping a bit past half way. Then up and at 'em Saturday to finish our drive.

Once at Ft. Wilderness we will set up our camp which will be our home for 4 nights.

I went camping this past summer with my 3 kids, an extra kid, and a girlfriend and her 2 kids. Plus a few of Suzy's hung out from time to time also (they were really at a cabin with my mom & dad.)

Here are a few pictures of our set-up:

The big brown tent is mine and will house me, Donald, Boo, Ariel, and Mulan. We have 2 queen air mattresses which it easily fits, with plenty of room for all our clothing and stuff.

Here is my & Donald's bed:

The girls have the same set-up on the other "wing" of the tent.

Suzy & Milo have a similar tent but with 4 boys it feels tighter so they may actually bring the Coleman tent in my above picture which is my mom's. Then Charming and Buzz could sleep in it.

So we may very well have 4 tents as Suzy just bought a screen house which will house our little kitchen and camp chairs.

And to give you an idea of just what we are discussing, here is all that stuff plus 4 bikes and 5 people in the back of my van:

We also have a car top carrier which will travel with us on this trip, I didn't mess with it on the trip these pictures are. And Suzy has a cartop carrier and her van, but again she has 6 people so no seats can fold down. Plus, she has a giant double stroller. For those of you who haven't been scouring the net for Fort Wilderness pictures, here is a typical tent camp site which these 4 tents, 6 bikes, and 2 vans, and 10 camp chairs, here is the space we will have to fit on:

I struggled to find one without a bunch of stuff on it. So you see it with a one man backpacking tent on it. It looks ok big.

Here's another one:

It has electricity, cable, etc. So hopefully it'll be sufficient for our needs.

While staying here we will have the DDP and are planning on eat at:
Whispering Wilderness Cafe
1900 Park Faire Cinderella meal
Les Chefs or Teppan Edo (have 2 ressies and CANNOT agree so that is still up in the air which to cancel.)
Cape May Cafe

Suzy & Milo are only doing WWC and Cape May with us.

And we're gonna get a giddy up and go dinner one night too before we do the Chip & Dale s'mores roast and movie.

Then on Wednesday we switch to a 2 bedroom Grand Suite at the Dolphin. What??!!!! Yup, it's true.

We probably will bring in an air mattress just to make us all a bit more comfortable but we shall see. Certainly is moving from the ghetto to fifth avenue. That's for sure.

Truth be told, I'm not sure which I'll prefer. I know which one Milo will prefer. But for me, having all those kids in one giant room seems a recipe for a LOT of noise. Whereas at a campground the noise level is dispersed into the great outdoors. And I don't have to worry about soda and caprisuns spilling outside either. Or wet towels and bathing suits dripping.

But I do have to worry about rain. And I have to walk a LOT further to pee in the middle of the night.

Hmmm, guess we'll see!

The only sit down meal we have planned that we will pay for not on DDP is San Angel.

More on our detailed plans later....
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #156
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
I lost track of your report but got all caught up tonight. The September trip sounded fabulous, I can't believe how un-crowded it was for you! I'm curious how Suzy found the crowds the week after Thanksgiving as we are planning on going for that week this year.

The girls all looked beautiful with their face paintings, definitely worth the $ splurge

Looking forward to hearing about the camping experience and your stay at the Dolphin - DH and I are thinking of staying there for 3 nights while my MIL takes the girls on the cruise during our next trip.
Suzy, obviously, answered your November question. Thanks on my girls.

A romantic stay at the Dolphin sounds awesome!

This year we are going to do BBB and Pirate's League but even still Boo is bound and determined to be a jaguar again. She tells perfect strangers,

"In March I'm going to be a princess and THEN a jaguar."

This is the point that they look at me to translate, thinking they have misunderstood her. And I, being the evil person I am say,

"It's true, we're going to Disney World."

We leave a lot of strangers in Wal-Mart shaking their heads in confusion.

Speaking of Wal-Mart, I was in there last week and a little girl walks up to Boo and shows her a Cinderella doll and asks how old Boo is. Boo says three and the little girl says, "I'm four and I'm going to see Sleeping Beauty's castle." She was really excited. By this point her mom had stopped too so I said, "Are you going to Disneyland?" and she said they were saving up as her daughter was obsessed with Disneyland. So I say to the little girl,

"I've seen both Cinderella's castle and Sleeping Beauty's and Cinderella's is much prettier. Plus, it's right here on the east coast and you don't have to save up so much money to go to California."

Her Mom says, "Where?"

And I say, "In Florida."

And she says, I kid you not, "There's a Disneyland in Florida?"

What?????

I said, "Yes, Disney World is in Florida, Disneyland is in California."

I swear, the woman was baffled. And she seemed VERY normal. But who doesn't know there is a Disney park in Florida? Then she explains that she knows nothing but her daughter has been watching shows and clips and has become obsessed. Really in a 2 minute interchange there wasn't a lot I could do to help them, but I just said, "Go to Disneyparks.com AND you can get non-stop airfare cheap to Orlando. Look it up. You can make your girl's dreams come true for cheaper than you think."

So glad we're all super informed on the important stuff in my family.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #157
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Introductions:

I just realized that I only introduced you to our September group and now it's time for March introductions. I have some guilt as I've talked about everyone and you must be baffled who Charming and Buzz are. Oops. This is backwards. But I'm sure you're all clever enough to figure it out.

OK, we are two families. My name is Perla and here is my family, which you are already somewhat acquainted with if you've made it this far:

Perla: Disney mom all the way. A crazy obsessed planner who seems type A but in actual practice I'm a type B. Totally laid back, take life in stride, just as happy sitting on a bench chitchatting with strangers as I am charging down Main Street to be at Space Mt. first.

Donald: My dh. He, too, is in love with WDW. Probably longer than me, though he tries to pretend it's not so, I find him constantly looking at Dis blog, downloading Disney music for our family videos, and once we are within the parks he turns into a frantic ride riding fanatic.

Mulan: Our eldest. In September she finally became a fan of WDW. She is the most helpful person I know. Agreeable, happy, loves being around people. But can get overwhelmed and overstimulated. She's happiest when everyone else is happy. She has recently turned into a young lady. She's 10.

Ariel: Middle child alert! Moody, cries easily. Yet in general a sunny person. Music moves her and she loves Disney music. She also easily gets lost. Both in thought and in person. Absolutely LOVES food. I'll be shocked if she isn't a chef or into food in some way as an adult. Though she claims she's going to own 10 cats and be a vet. She turns 9 soon.

Boo: Spoiled youngest. Turns four soon. Warmed up to Disney very slowly but now is obsessed. Her current obsessions are Donald Duck and being tall enough to ride roller coasters. She is a type A personality. Boo's way or the highway.

And now we move on to Suzy's:

Suzy: Even more of a Disney mom than me. Suzy's own definition of herself would include the phrase, "Constantly in pursuit of fun." Sadly, with a big house, a job, and 4 boys fun is often out of her reach so she makes up for it by regular visits to a Disney park.

Milo: Her dh. He struggled to accept Disney as an annual vacation option. He loves Great Britain, books, and raising his boys to be men. But after their November Poly trip, he's done fighting it. Disney is true relaxation, true time to be with his kids, and Epcot WS rocks. Loves taking alcoholic flights. Scotch flights number one, then beer flights, wine flights wrapping it up.

Charming: A non-typical teenage boy. His interests are typical: ESPN, guitars, playing ball. But he is nice, helpful, in no way sullen, two grades ahead in school, etc. etc. When we speak of Charming we gush. We can't help ourselves.

Buzz: 10 years old, loves comic books, computer and video games, and his family. LOVES Disney World. He has Asperger's and was the real reason we all committed to Disney World to begin with years ago. So we have him to thank for the love. If you want to know ANYTHING about Disney World, ask him. He literally knows it all. I'm serious! We could pay for our trips by hiring him out.

McQueen: 7 years old. Thank goodness. The most challenging of our 7 kids when he was 5 & 6 he has thankfully begun growing up and maturing. Smart, artistically inclined, or should I say mechanically inclined? He wants to know how things work, how movies are made (wants to be a movie director), what's behind that? Curiosity drives him. And a desire to be the center of the universe

Jack-Jack: 3 years old. The best pretender I ever met. He doesn't pretend. He IS. Is Buzz Lightyear, Is Spiderman, Is Dr. Indiana Jones. Laid back, hilarious, cute as a button.

The girls are all mine, the boys all Suzy's. Easy peasy to figure out. We did that on purpose. To make it easy on you.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #158
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Ok loyal readers, I need opinions. Should I post yet another trip on this TR or should I start afresh. Suzy seems to think we should start over and though it does seem that this is a totally different trip and will be yet another 11 pages+ of info, tips, secrets, and photos, I also have promised the people reading this thread a whole year of Disney?

Tell me your opinions! I can't decide. I would, of course, link the next 2 trips to this TR.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #159
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

I am LOVING your trip report! I'm only on page 7 but I have already gotten so many great tips. I'm planning my family's first trip for the second week of June.

Boo is just the cutest thing! And I enjoyed your comparision of DL and DW. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #160
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hip hip hooray for Suzy! Spent $67.00. Saved $66.00. And bought 24 boxes of General Mills cereal plus two big pot roasts, raspberries, potatoes, frozen food, etc. etc. Awesome.

WOW!!!!! I would love to know how you accomplished this.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #161
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
I am LOVING your trip report! I'm only on page 7 but I have already gotten so many great tips. I'm planning my family's first trip for the second week of June.

Boo is just the cutest thing! And I enjoyed your comparision of DL and DW. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Thanks! Boo is quite the little cutie. Handful, but cute. We will be at Disney in June also, maybe the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB;399
WOW!!!!! I would love to know how you accomplished this.
Shopping the deals and coupons. A great resource is www.thecouponmom.com It's a free site, you just have to register. Suzy & I just get a Sunday paper from a major city and our mom's give us their coupons from the their paper, so we'll often have 3-4 coupons of the same thing. Then we match the coupons with the deals. There are tons of tips & sites to learn from on the budget board here. She and I could write a book on the subject, but we don't have to because there are many already out there!

With the size of our families, I think our Disney trips would space out much further without coupons!

I wish you much luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #162
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I'm moving:

To the pre-trippie area!

After much pondering, I've decided I'll be more excited about writing our March TR if it's in it's own thread. So I've just started it and hope you all will join me there as I'm much encouraged when I have readers and commenters.

I love you all!!!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post40062256
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #163
happygirlagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Whatever she was doing, Mom and I headed into the stores to look Buzz Lightyear wings which Jack-Jack "needed." This was the one thing he asked for over & over but they were $49. for the costume and you couldn't buy them any other way that we saw. He never did get them. When we came home Mom made him some from recycled materials only to learn that if you make a 2 year old wings, they will try to fly. Whoops. Shoulda seen that coming.
I have the Buzz wings if she would like to have them. They were given to us and my DS doesn't care if he has them or not.

AKV-Kidani/VWL-Thanksgiving 2011,
Cleaning the Gulf - Summer '10, ASMu(family suite)-Thanksgiving '09, Seawold, Aquatica and Busch Gardens-5/08, US/IoA-5/07, AKL(Savanah view)-Thanksgiving '05

Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #164
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirlagain View Post
I have the Buzz wings if she would like to have them. They were given to us and my DS doesn't care if he has them or not.
Wow! That is so generous! I'll have Suzy come respond to you.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #165
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirlagain View Post
Thank you so much for your offer!! I really appreciate it. But we got him some Buzz wings this winter. The kind that pop out with sound effects so he's all set.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: