Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Solo TR – You’re staying where? First Solo Trip to the World.

For my peeps on the RCT

First night on vacay.

My name is Karen and I’m a 46 year old Disneyholic. I’ve taken 10+ trips to WDW since 2005.

The back story is a little convoluted, and begins last summer when DHDH (48) and I decided to buy a cottage. He reasoned that since we had a cottage, I wouldn’t be going to Disney World anymore. Flawed thinking on his part, I know. Well, I had to explain to him that I would be going to Disney world, since it’s my Happy Place, but agreed to only go once a year.

So I decided that we would go in March, since my two boys, DS18 (ASD) and DS 10 would be going to Texas over Spring Break in April to stay with their dad, ex-DH. Now here’s where the story gets complicated.

DS18, my class skipping school hating DS, had a fit and fell into it at the thought of having to miss school. Very odd behavior on his part, but there it was. March was officially out. And since ex DH was to have the boys over Spring Break, that time was out too. However, I had points to stay over in March that could only be used in August due to low points and scheduling, etc. But I still “needed” to go in the Spring. So somehow I managed to rationalize myself into a solo trip. Rationalizing a solo trip is a lot like “Disney Math” it really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you try to analyze it.

Honestly, I’ve been absolutely dying to go solo on a trip for a long time now. Just the idea of not having the kids around and getting to relax in quiet (without pee on the bathroom floor ) for a few days sounds like a wonderful thing to me. Call me a bad mother if you wish, but with two autistic kids, two dogs, and five cats, my own business to run etc… I need a few days off from all of the daily grind stuff. Especially from the aforementioned pee on the floor. Why a kid can’t hit a hole that big is beyond me. Maybe I should install a urinal?

But getting back to the trip. With the kids gone, and DHDH (Disney Hating DH) not invited to go – ok, so I had to invite him but he doesn’t want to go - whew! He pouted so much that I had to ask him just for forms sake. But his logical Disney Hating side won out and he elected to stay home with his beloved dog. So I needed to figure out where to stay for my short three night trip.

Last edited by kaffinito; 04-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

Hey Kaffinito!

I'm totally subbing and I can't wait to read more! The trip is so close and you so deserve it! Just make sure you don't change your resort between now and 3 days from now.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
kaffinito
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Hi Hannah!

Wouldn't you know, I checked online this morning to see if Poly or BWI were available.

They weren't.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
kaffinito

Resorts resorts resorts....

For some odd reason, All Star Sports is really appealing to me in the photos. I really would like to stay there in the Surfs Up section and swim in the pool. I don’t know why, I just do. So that was the first place I booked – two nights preferred. Easy peasy. Only had to post one poll on the Dis about that one! (AsSpo lost by a landslide BTW)

So now I just needed anther resort for the last three days. Notice that the short trip has gone from three days to five already? Hee Hee I love doing split stays! That way I can try out new places and stay in a favorite one as well. But just couldn't figure out where to stay for the second half of the trip?

My choices are – from most money to cheapest:

Poly. At 1800 bucks it’s definitely not the most practical choice for a three day stay. So it’s more of on a wish list than an actual choice.

AKL – it would be my 5th stay here. I would book a pool view room and request ground floor Giraffe – that way I could be by the DSA without a 10 minute walk through the resort to get there. It’s happened to me before. Only drawback to AKL is the Mara. I really don’t like the food there. Plus, I get so comfortable while there that I’m afraid I won’t leave the resort to go to the parks. At 1300 bucks it’s still pricey though.

POR – stayed here my first trip and loved the landscaping, the food court and the buses. Still visit here every trip. Oldest DS loves the kids turkey pinwheel sandwich from here. Definitely doable at 840 dollars. Nice pool too.

POP – Love POP. I’m just afraid that I won’t enjoy my pool time as much as I would somewhere else. Plus I think I should take advantage of my solo time at a more expensive resort.

So after 6 weeks of waffling over my resort choice, I booked CBR, which wasn't even on my list. But I am trying to compromise here. I really want AKL, but can’t justify the money, and I really really want Poly, but there is no way I’m paying that much for a three day stay. So I decided to go for CBR which is at least tropical. Good. So at this point I'm done. Resorts booked, ticker made, only ADR's to make.

Now mind you, every day I’m looking at pics of the Poly, and listening to the resort soundtrack. It’s a bad sign. It will be a miracle if I can keep from booking it. And I might book it, just in case a discount comes out for my dates. That way I’ll at least have the ressie, right? I’m sick, I know…..

And some of you reading will remember what happened next....

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
Hi Hannah!

Wouldn't you know, I checked online this morning to see if Poly or BWI were available.

They weren't.
The resort Gods are trying to tell you to not switch.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
My name is Karen and I’m a 46 year old Disneyholic. I’ve taken 10+ trips to WDW since 2005.

The back story is a little convoluted, and begins last summer when DHDH (48) and I decided to buy a cottage. He reasoned that since we had a cottage, I wouldn’t be going to Disney World anymore. Flawed thinking on his part, I know. Well, I had to explain to him that I would be going to Disney world, since it’s my Happy Place, but agreed to only go once a year.

So I decided that we would go in March, since my two boys, DS18 (ASD) and DS 10 would be going to Texas over Spring Break in April to stay with their dad, ex-DH. Now here’s where the story gets complicated.

DS18, my class skipping school hating DS, had a fit and fell into it at the thought of having to miss school. Very odd behavior on his part, but there it was. March was officially out. And since ex DH was to have the boys over Spring Break, that time was out too. However, I had points to stay over in March that could only be used in August due to low points and scheduling, etc. But I still “needed” to go in the Spring. So somehow I managed to rationalize myself into a solo trip. Rationalizing a solo trip is a lot like “Disney Math” it really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you try to analyze it.

Honestly, I’ve been absolutely dying to go solo on a trip for a long time now. Just the idea of not having the kids around and getting to relax in quiet (without pee on the bathroom floor ) for a few days sounds like a wonderful thing to me. Call me a bad mother if you wish, but with two autistic kids, two dogs, and five cats, my own business to run etc… I need a few days off from all of the daily grind stuff. Especially from the aforementioned pee on the floor. Why a kid can’t hit a hole that big is beyond me. Maybe I should install a urinal?

But getting back to the trip. With the kids gone, and DHDH (Disney Hating DH) not invited to go – ok, so I had to invite him but he doesn’t want to go - whew! He pouted so much that I had to ask him just for forms sake. But his logical Disney Hating side won out and he elected to stay home with his beloved dog. So I needed to figure out where to stay for my short three night trip.
Thanks for posting your PTR link on the RC thread. It's great reading the background on how this all came to fruition. And, in just a couple of days it will turn into a TR.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Gracey View Post
The resort Gods are trying to tell you to not switch.
I think you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Thanks for posting your PTR link on the RC thread. It's great reading the background on how this all came to fruition. And, in just a couple of days it will turn into a TR.
Yep! If I can ever get through the background

Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
kaffinito

Part II - The Trouble Starts

The Trouble starts.

So with AsSpo booked for the first two days, and CBR booked for the last 3 days, I was all set.

Except….

I wanted to change resorts.

Badly.

So I called CRO and changed my last three days from CBR to the Poly. I know, I know, a lot of money. But it’s the Poly! Then I added to the mix by booking a cabana there for a half day. So I could look forward to a blissful day of luxurious cabana dwelling.

But then the angst set in. That was a LOT of money for just three nights. And there were no discounts for my dates. Now I'll pay rack rate for a value without too much squealing, and would pay rack rate for a mod if I had to, but for a deluxe? No way.

So then I decided to book a backup resort just in case I decided to switch, just in case they all were sold put by the time I left. So I booked POP preferred online, and paid the deposit. Then I got a brilliant idea and also booked CSR Preferred King room but switched it to CSR Water view king room and just in case booked AKL pool view to boot.

If you’re following along, you’ll notice two things about me at this point.

1. I now have 4 reservations booked for the same three days.
2. I have a very serious problem and need some type of counseling.

Well I finally came to my senses, changed the Poly ressie to a CSR Water view King room ressie, then began slowly, over the course of three days, canceling the other reservations.

Well, I still had a problem. I really didn’t want to stay at CSR this trip. It was breaking one of my split stay rules, always ending the trip with a familiar resort. So I ended up changing the CSR ressie to POR Preferred. And I was finally done.

Whew. And I haven’t even gotten to the ADR’s yet.

Those became problematic too – thanks to that darned Restaurant Board.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Question

What in the world was this thread doing on the middle of the second page?

Question: Boys are in TX, DH is at the cottage and you're at WDW...

What about the (alphabet) CATS, the DOG and that thing that looks like a BEAR (Grizzly) in your signature?!

They suggest that you take them all to the new Best Friends Pet Resort. They'll even get a report card! Gus didn't even pee on the floor (Good boy, Gus)!

If they had a CL, I'd stay there...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
What in the world was this thread doing on the middle of the second page?

Question: Boys are in TX, DH is at the cottage and you're at WDW...

What about the (alphabet) CATS, the DOG and that thing that looks like a BEAR (Grizzly) in your signature?!

They suggest that you take them all to the new Best Friends Pet Resort. They'll even get a report card! Gus didn't even pee on the floor (Good boy, Gus)!

If they had a CL, I'd stay there...

Too darn funny! Love the pic!

Ok, maybe I missed a step here, but DH is home with the alphabet and the grizzly looking thing.

This is the grizzly - my little Claire. Full name Claire A. Belle.

In case you're wondering what she is - everybody does - her back half is beagle and her front is of yet undetermined.

This one, Schtunky, looks more like a grizzly....

Especially now that she's gained 15 pounds and resembles a footstool....

The dog babies have to stay home with daddy - and of course the cats do too.

I've seen pictures of the kennels there - very nice and very plush IMO. I too wish they had a CL there for big people.

Now if DH ever goes with me again (that is if I allow him too ) we'll have to bring the dogs and have them at the kennel. And knowing my DH, he'll spend the entire time at the kennel with the dogs. Or we'll have to stay at FW so we can both have our dogs with us.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
kaffinito

Part III - The Evil Restaurant Board

Well now part of every trip for me is about the dining. I love to eat out at WDW! I have a life threatening food allergy, to tree nuts, and WDW is about the only place I can eat at that is “safe”

So I decided to go with an old favorite for a nice signature meal – Bistro de Paris. I had taken DHDH here on one trip, and it was the only nice thing about the trip. Well, that and staying BWI CL.

So I had to book Bistro again, just for the atmosphere, the chance to wear a nice dress, and for the opportunity to arrive a little early and ask for a window table. That way I can wait to be seated and hopefully get a good view of Illuminations from my table.

The next one I decided on was Sci-Fi dine in Theater. It sounds like a fun and unusual place to get a meal, and I’m a little geeked about it. I love those old sci-fi movies! I snagged that one for an evening EMH night at DHS.

In the meantime – people on the Disney For Adult and Solo Travelers thread were giving me a lot of advice on how to dine solo at WDW. Most of it centered around the best drinks (I don’t drink) and how to get a seat at the bar (again, I don’t drink) and how to avoid looking pathetic while you’re dining alone.

One person on there was saying to try to make it look like your choice to dine alone. Well, it is my choice, so there. I was even directed to go to the solo dining thread to look for dining companions. Again, why? I would prefer – on this trip – to dine solo! It’s called a Solo Trip! It’s not called an “I don’t really want to be solo trip” or a “I’m desperate for companionship trip” No, it’s called a Solo Trip.

Anywho, while surfing on there I did come across someone mentioning Victoria and Albert’s. And well, how could I pass up this golden opportunity? My kids will never be able to eat there, my DH wouldn’t ever eat there, so why shouldn’t I eat there? It won’t be quite the same atmosphere as Murphy’s Diner, but I’m up for eating a lot of little tiny foods with mysterious sounding ingredients.

So I was all set. Three dining experiences and I could just eat at the food courts for the rest of my meals. But those darned reviews on the Restaurant Boards were a very bad influence. Someone asked about lobster, someone posted about the lobster burger at the GF Café, and before I knew it I had an ADR there for lunch my departure day.

Same thing happened to me with Yak and Yeti. Someone started a thread asking for opinions about it, and before I knew it – I had and ADR. I adore the duck dish there, and usually book it for lunch every trip so how could I resist? So I had to book it for lunch. Unfortunately, I’m stuck on lunch there the same day I have my Bistro ressie that night, but one is at 11:00 am and the other is at 8:00 pm, so I should be hungry again.

I could switch the Bistro ADR to the flowing day when EPCOT has evening EMH hours, but that would shoot down my fantasy of getting the window table. And this trip for me is all about the fantasy.

So right now as it stands I have

Yak and Yeti
Bistro
Sci FI
V&A
GF Café

Not too shabby!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Gee, I'm late, I'm late......how did I ever miss your PTR? Anyway, glad to have found it - on the day you leave for WDW!!!

Like the restaurant choices.

Looks like as of this morning you are still at ASSp and POR...but I will only beleive it when you post LIVE that you're not at AKL or Poly or BWI or....?

Safe travels this afternoon and I know you're going to have a MAGICAL time SOLO!!!

p.s. About Sci Fi - be sure to ask/beg for a car, otherwise being a solo you might wind up in one of the tables waaay in the back and it's just not as much fun! In a car you'll be in the back seat behind a family, but it's more fun than the tables in the rear. At least you have a an ADR - they told us last trip that anyone without an adr automatically gets seated at the back tables.

Enjoy!! (I know you will!)

Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Gee, I'm late, I'm late......how did I ever miss your PTR? Anyway, glad to have found it - on the day you leave for WDW!!!

Like the restaurant choices.

Looks like as of this morning you are still at ASSp and POR...but I will only beleive it when you post LIVE that you're not at AKL or Poly or BWI or....?

Safe travels this afternoon and I know you're going to have a MAGICAL time SOLO!!!

p.s. About Sci Fi - be sure to ask/beg for a car, otherwise being a solo you might wind up in one of the tables waaay in the back and it's just not as much fun! In a car you'll be in the back seat behind a family, but it's more fun than the tables in the rear. At least you have a an ADR - they told us last trip that anyone without an adr automatically gets seated at the back tables.

Enjoy!! (I know you will!)
I know, I really do have a "changing" problem, don't I.

Thank you for the well wishes and the ti about Sci FI - I do want to sit in a car.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
kaffinito

Part IV - Karen has to fly

Last PTR post before I leave!

Part IV - Karen has to fly

Part of the whole negotiating with DHDH for this solo trip was that it would be short. And part of how I went from having only three days to having five days was that I would add two park days onto my trip by flying.

I don’t fly.

I haven’t flown since 1988.

I don’t fly because

1. I am terrified of flying, heights, and have a horrible fear of falling
2. I have only ever had one flight where the plane took off, flew through the air, and landed without any major disasters happening in between. Just. One. Normal. Flight.

But, in order to get five park days instead of three, I would have to bite the bullet and fly.

Now on my last flight in 1988 I was going from Phoenix to Detroit. The flight out was the only flight that I had ever had that was normal.

The flight back was anything but. First we hit turbulence. Really harsh turbulence. Then we lost one engine. Then we lost another engine (good thing the plane had four) then we lost cabin pressure as the plane plummeted out of the sky and the oxygen masks dropped out of the ceiling. And during this lovely episode the stewardesses were yelling that we need to assume crash positions.

Then, after all of this was done, the pilot announced that we had to circle DTW because our landing gear was stuck and we had to make an emergency landing.

Now at this point, I relaxed. This was my third emergency landing. And it wasn't my only flight where we lost an engine either. But emergency landings are fine by me.

They mean that

1. We will be on the ground soon
2. We will be on the ground soon.

So you can understand why I don’t fly.

And I wasn’t about to fly without some kind of medication that would either render me unconscious, or render me incapable of knowing whether or not I was unconscious.

So I went to my doctor’s office to get something called Ativan. Well my doctor wouldn’t prescribe it for me, and told me to get it from a psychiatrist. So I went to the Mental Health office and was told I couldn’t see a psychiatrist unless I saw a therapist first. So I saw the therapist, got an appointment to see the psychiatrist, had to see the therapist until the time of the appointment – 6 weeks away, and ended up with Ativan. Mind you, I did all this just so I could go to WDW!

I found out about Ativan from a gal in the smoking section at AKL last April. This is why I adore smoking sections. I have met the nicest, most informative people there. Smokers are a very chatty bunch. So this gal I met was also terrified to fly, but she said that Ativan made her not care so much that she was flying.

So I have the “magic flying pills” my carry on luggage, new from eBags, and enough movies, books, and music loaded onto my tablet to get me through at least 36 hours of flying.

I’m still absolutely terrified at the thought of flying though….

Part V
The trip begins…..
To Be Continued tomorrow morning...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1. I now have 4 reservations booked for the same three days.
2. I have a very serious problem and need some type of counseling.
You are so like me!!

But it's always good to leave your options open

Sounds like you are going to have a fantastic trip, love the sound of the Poly cabana.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: