DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
FANOFDSNY
Mouseketeer

Help with "Walking a Reservation"

I've heard the term and read some about it but I don't understand it completely so I was wondering if someone could explain to me what "Walking a Reservation" is and how it works?
FANOFDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

My only experience is with a regular hotel, not DVC. Say you have a reservation and show up, but they overbooked the hotel that night. Then the hotel "walks your reservation". In that they have an agreement with another hotel nearby where they'll put you up. Usually the hotel you get "walked" to is a major upgrade... keeping in mind that they'd put you in any upgraded room that they have at the first property before "walking" you.

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
DenLo
DIS Veteran

It's not the same as with regular hotels.

With the DVC, it's a way to get the dates you want that are more than 7 days in the future. People starting doing this because you can only make reservations for 11 (or 7) months plus seven days.

So on January 2, 2011 I call and make reservations for December 2 - 8, 2011, and then on December 5, I call MS again and see if Dec 9 - 12 is available. Then I drop the first four days and add Dec. 9 - 12. I continue to do this until I get the reservations I want for December 24, 2011 - January 2, 2013.

There are variations of this method, that some call every day, others call every few days, others call every 6th or 7th day. The purpose is to beat other members to the reservation dates. If you wait until January 24, 2011 and call and ask for December 24, 2012 through December 30, 2012, it is possible that the first six days would be booked up because some one called the day before. Also it is easier to get a day or two added on versus a whole week.

I think people only "Walk" a reservation when they are really worried that the dates will book up, around the Christmas holidays especially or for a GV.

Hope my post isn't too confusing.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

For me, I was booked with points into a VWL studio. When I went to check in, all were already taken for the day, MS had over booked the VWL's studios. So we were put into a 2 bedroom Fort Wilderness room for the length of our stay (3 nights).
com_op_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

The term we use on this board is "walking a reservation" and it refers to the method of booking a reservation outlined by DenLo above.

The terms hotels use is "walking a guest" and it refers to moving a guest to another hotel due to overbooking. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
FANOFDSNY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post

I think people only "Walk" a reservation when they are really worried that the dates will book up, around the Christmas holidays especially or for a GV.

Hope my post isn't too confusing.
I apologize for being "thick" about this, but I am still a bit confused....Are you saying if I want to secure the dates checking in on 12/16/2011 and check out on 2/27/2011, at my 11 month booking window I should call when?... Do I call on 1/9/11 to secure ressie to check in on 12/9/11 checking out on 12/16? This secures my first night (12/15) and then on 1/10 I would call and cancel 12/9 and book the night of 12/16?? Then I would have secured the night of the 15th & 16th.... and then keep calling each day to cancel one day and secure another? Do I have this correct??
Old 08-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
FANOFDSNY
Mouseketeer

Ok. I've re-read the replys and I think I've may have figuered it out (fingers -crossed).
I want a ressie to check in on 12/16/2011 and check out on 12/27/2011. So on 1/2 I call and secure 7 nights: Check in: 12/2, Check Out 12/9. Then if I choose to call each day; on 12/3 I would see if 12/9 is available and if so then I cancel 12/2 and book 12/9, which would give me a ressie of 12/3 check in and 12/10 check out.... And I would continue to add and cancel one day for each day that I call MS... Can someone please be so kind and let me know if I've FINALLY figuered this out correctly?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Halle
DIS Veteran

You understand it.
Halle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Vickis3js
DIS Veteran

Ok now I am confused. Why would I call and book the beginning of the month if I want the end of the month? I was thinking of walking one of our trips but I had planned to call and book the 7 nights with my last night being the first night I really want to check in. Then the next day taking off the first night and adding what would really be my 2nd to the end of the trip. Continue that daily until I have my initial last night there as my check in date.

So does that not work? Do I need to start sooner?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
adminjedi
I use my powers for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickis3js View Post
It works, you understand the process.

It all comes down to whether you need to walk the reservation, if it is a limited room or view type, and what time of year you are trying for. Based on those factors, you may or may not need to start more than 7 days ahead. Decide for yourself what the risk factors are and how soon you want to start.

DVC MEMBER SINCE 2006
adminjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
For me, I was booked with points into a VWL studio. When I went to check in, all were already taken for the day, MS had over booked the VWL's studios. So we were put into a 2 bedroom Fort Wilderness room for the length of our stay (3 nights).
2 bedroom Fort Wilderness room? I thought the Fort Wilderness cabins were only 1 bedroom.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFDSNY View Post
Ok. I've re-read the replys and I think I've may have figuered it out (fingers -crossed).
I want a ressie to check in on 12/16/2011 and check out on 12/27/2011. So on 1/2 I call and secure 7 nights: Check in: 12/2, Check Out 12/9. Then if I choose to call each day; on 12/3 I would see if 12/9 is available and if so then I cancel 12/2 and book 12/9, which would give me a ressie of 12/3 check in and 12/10 check out.... And I would continue to add and cancel one day for each day that I call MS... Can someone please be so kind and let me know if I've FINALLY figuered this out correctly?
Yes, that is correct although it's over complicating. You only need to make the second call by 1/8 to book the advancing dates. Walking works b/c you have a lock on the room you book and as long as you stay in advance of the 11 month window you will get the room.

For Dec 16th - unless you are looking to book a small room category - it is unlikely walking would be necessary. I personally would not bother with it.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickis3js View Post
Ok now I am confused. Why would I call and book the beginning of the month if I want the end of the month? I was thinking of walking one of our trips but I had planned to call and book the 7 nights with my last night being the first night I really want to check in. Then the next day taking off the first night and adding what would really be my 2nd to the end of the trip. Continue that daily until I have my initial last night there as my check in date.

Yes, you can do this but there is no need for daily calling. You only have to call the day before the 11 month window opens for the check out day.

So, say you want to really go November 15 - 22nd. You call on December 8th and book November 8th - November 15th. On December 14th, you call and extend the trip out to the 22nd and cancel the dates in front.

Since you have that room booked until November 15th, there is no way anyone else can book that room as long as you extend by the 14th.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Connears
Connears

I understand the process, but honestly think its overkill in most cases. I have been dvc member since 1994. I have gone to wdw during xmas week at least 8 times (the last five years and going this year) and have not had a problem getting what I wanted at my home resort at 11 months(OKW), granted it is a large resort and not the highest demand as others. I have also been successful in changing resorts this year to AKLV savannah view at 7 months for that week. This is peak time and so, unless you are looking for difficult reservations(VWL at xmas, BWV/BCV for FW festival) I think its a bit much and actually believe it bogs down MS unneccessarily. Just my opinion, here, but I do have alot of dvc experience behind me. I think that in most cases 11 months is adequate planning even for xmas week, at least it has for me for the last 6 years.

Connears

Connears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
twooley2
DIS Veteran

Could someone explain why they let you call the day before the 11 or 7 month timeframe if you already have a reservation or are so called walking it?
twooley2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: