Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #1111
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 2

Now is time to get back to the TR. I just have left off after seeing all the construction around Buena Vista Street. I can wait to see the the new land when it opens in 2012. Enough of that, lets get to the TR on Thursday. I know that you all want to read about the Expo so I will get to it as soon as possible.

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 2

After I got the pictures of the signs of the classic Disney characters where the Carthay Circle Theater is being built. So we head on over to Condor Flats.

On the way over, we saw that there was quite a line for GRR. I believe it was about half hour wait to get on the ride from the stand-by line. But the crowds is not as bad as I have expected especially there was some people who were here for the Expo like myself.

When we got closer to PP, my DA wanted to go on the LMAUA first before we head on over to the other side of PP and check out the dining area. PP was not as crowded around the area.

When we got in the queue for the LMAUA, we only had to wait about 5 minutes just to get on the ride. Talk about a big difference from a few months ago when the queue for LMAUA was about 15-20 minutes wait while at that time during my trip it was only a 5 minute wait.

TLMAUA loading station

My DA was kind of disappointed about the ride since she said that this ride needs to be a water ride. But I told her since they have a water ride which is GRR, they made this as a dark ride like the ones at DL. TLMAUA is more like the Nemo and Friends ride at EPCOT without the huge aquarium. She said that one time is enough for her.

After getting off the ride, we were hungry and we head on over to PP dining area. But on the way, I had to get some pics on the way.

Before we got to the PP dining area, we got to see Goofy Sky School. My first expression of the ride is that the theme is way better then the former Mulholland Madness. I was thinking of going on the ride, but the standby wait time was already at a half an hour so I just skipped it.

Now it was time to see the new PP dining area and it looked even better in person then checking it out on the CPU. It was more open space and more PP looked.

So we head on in the Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta restaurant since my DA wanted to try the pizzas. She got the BBQ Pizza while I got the Pepperoni Pizza. The pizzas were really good and its was a good thing I choose this one first since I was considering eating at the Garden Grill first.

After we finished out lunch, we head on out of the PP dining area and head on over to the other side of PP to see what the wait times are like for the rides. MFW was quite long during that day since the swinging was the longest by far and the non-swinging had quite a number of people. TSMM as always draws a big number of people. I would guess it was around a 30 minute wait time.

Then we left PP.

On our next stop, my DA wanted to see the Blue Sky Cellar and see all the new updates for DCA.

Before we went into the Blue Sky Cellar, I had to get some pics of Cars Land. It was so amazing to see how much of it has improved since my last visit. I just can't wait to see it next year.

We went inside the Blue Sky Cellar and we watch the presentation about the LMAUA construction. She was amazed by the work they have done to it. But I told her that we will see the presentation at the D23 Expo tomorrow which should be even better. This is after when she said the ride wasn't that great and now all of a sudden she is interested of how they did the whole thing.

After the Blue Sky Cellar, we couldn't walk back to Sunshine Plaza since the wall is blocking the exit so we went around to ABL. On the way over to ABL, I got some more pics of the construction walls with the classic Disney characters.

That's it for this post since I ran out of pictures. So I will get back to you later today.

Thank you for following the D23/DLR trip.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #1112
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Bret,
The new eateries look great! What types of food are at the Grill? Did I see skewers?

Looking forward to hearing all about the expo! You didn't ride TSMM? I would have waited 30 minutes

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #1113
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
The new eateries look great! What types of food are at the Grill? Did I see skewers?

Looking forward to hearing all about the expo! You didn't ride TSMM? I would have waited 30 minutes

TK
The eating area of PP is very nice and so much space to eat. Yes the Grill restaurant sells skewers with rice pilaf, cucumber salad and pita bread.

I'm trying to get done this day and get to Friday. But I think I got another 2-3 posts to do before I get to Friday. I am trying to go as fast as I can so you and everyone can read my experience at the Expo this past weekend. You are correct TK, I didn't ride TSMM. I thought about riding it that afternoon, but my DA wanted to do some other things around the park that afternoon. I should have rode it that afternoon, but it was a great day.

Thank you TK.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #1114
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 3

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 3

After taking a few pics of the construction wall going towards Buena Vista Street, we headed on over to ABL to get to the Hollywood Backlot Studios. My DA barely goes in ABL since we barely come to this side of DCA.

ABL Entrance

ToT from ABL

When we got to HBS, my DA wanted to go see Crush. So we head on over to the Animation building. When we got there, the show has already started and she didn’t want to wait a half an hour for the next show so we just went inside the Sorcerers Workshop.

After finishing in the Animation building, it was time to head on out of DCA since we have already done everything we wanted at DCA. When we go outside, our next part at DL is to go to the ticket booth and get my DA AP card. Right now at that time she had the voucher. So in order to go to the next park, she has to get the AP at the ticket booth.

Train Station façade is gone and it looks so different.

Before we head on out of DCA, my DA had to use the bathroom so we stopped at the restroom by the entrance. While I was waiting, I decided to get some pics of the bridge and the old entrance to DCA.

Mark VII Orange passing over the bridge

Old entrance to DCA. It is a good shade area when you enter the park

When we got outside the park, we head to the west side of the ticket booth for my DA to get her AP. While my DA was getting her Deluxe AP card, I waited around and took some different pics around the area. The outside wasn’t that bad with a few hundred guests outside between the two parks and the weather was still nice that afternoon.

D23 Expo poster at the ticket booth

My DA is now the proud owner of the DL Deluxe AP and she was excited about it. Even though that there are blackout dates on the deluxe, the days that we are going to DL in the future are good. So next we head on over to DL and do some rides.

When we entered the turnstiles, the park was just about above average. It was not as bad as I have thought of being in DCA that afternoon. It was nice and while I was in DL, I had to get a picture for Lil’ Grumpy of getting the picture of the dvd/movie poster right by the Emporium.

MS DLRR Station

Engine #3 Fred Gurley with Holiday 5 car set along with the Lily Belle

When we entered MS, the 4:00pm Soundsational parade was already at MS Town Square, so there was no way of going around through all those people. So we decided to go on the DLR while the Fred Gurley was in the MS station.

We walked really fast to get on the train and luckily we got on the last second. Here are some pictures from riding the DLRR all the way towards the NOS station.

We just rode the train to NOS since my DA wanted to go on POTC and see the new Black Beard screen scene. When we got there, the wait time was already at 20 minutes and she didn’t want to go on the ride so we rode the Mark Twain.

Here are some pictures from the Mark Twain 2nd deck.

The CM got the white ropes all ready for F! that day

The Columbia is in the side dock to get ready for F!.

This concludes part 3 of the D23/DLR trip. We will be right back.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 08-24-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #1115
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Oh Bret I love so many of your pictures this trip. Do you post your pictures on tumblr? There are so many Disney fans on there that would absolutely love them. How nice that you DA loves Disneyland as much as you do. I think that it is more fun when you can share a trip with someone you love.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #1116
JH87
DIS Veteran

Great photos as always!
Thanks again for the photo of the wall ( sounds funny....a photo of a wall)
I love the shot of TOT through Bug's Land.

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #1117
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Oh Bret I love so many of your pictures this trip. Do you post your pictures on tumblr? There are so many Disney fans on there that would absolutely love them. How nice that you DA loves Disneyland as much as you do. I think that it is more fun when you can share a trip with someone you love.
Thank you Michele.

I got to check out tumblr one day. MY DA loves to go to DL, but she doesn't like to stay in the park that long. She is one of those people who doesn't want to be in the park when it is crowded. Some days during this trip, she felt tired and didn't want to be in the park that long so she went back to the hotel while I was at the park. I will get to that later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH87 View Post
Great photos as always!
Thanks again for the photo of the wall ( sounds funny....a photo of a wall)
I love the shot of TOT through Bug's Land.
Your welcome Jillian.

I also said that was a nice shot of ToT through ABL.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #1118
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you Michele.

I got to check out tumblr one day. MY DA loves to go to DL, but she doesn't like to stay in the park that long. She is one of those people who doesn't want to be in the park when it is crowded. Some days during this trip, she felt tired and didn't want to be in the park that long so she went back to the hotel while I was at the park. I will get to that later today.

Your welcome Jillian.

I also said that was a nice shot of ToT through ABL.

That is the lovely thing about the AP. It makes it easier to do it that way because you don't feel the sorrow that you won't make the time up.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #1119
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 4

Quote:
That is the lovely thing about the AP. It makes it easier to do it that way because you don't feel the sorrow that you won't make the time up.
You are right about that Michele. She was having seconds thoughts about it, but in the end this was the right thing to do and buy the AP since we will be going on two more trips in the future.

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 4

Now back to the pictures from the Mark Twain.

Splash Mountain

You see a lot of deer right by the river

There is a Indian Village on the left side

What is that in the trees? (An American Eagle)

Were almost to the docks

Something is moving right by the tracks

When we got off the Mark Twain, my DA wanted to get on the monorail. This was also a good opportunity to get on the monorail and see the construction of the new Buena Vista Street at DCA. So we head on over to Tomorrowland and get on the monorail so we can ride it around the resort.

Also during that time, BTMRR was only a 15 minute wait which was a good thing

We walked across from Frontierland and at the Hub. There were quite a few people taking pictures in front of SB castle.

The Matterhorn Mountain closed which is bad during this time of the year, but hey they it needs to be all fixed up for the future.

Tomorrowland Entrance

BLAB entrance was about 15 minute

Over at ST, the queue is still as long as earlier this summer. The FP was already gone and the wait time was around 50 minutes.

After passing through Tomorrowland, we head on over to the monorail station queue.

When we got up to the station, they already loaded all the guests on the Monorail Blue so we decided to wait for the next one.

Matterhorn Mountain

FNSV Lagoon

Monorail Blue leaving the TL station

Monorail Orange in TL

Monorail Orange coming in the TL Station

I will get back to the TR later today so stay tune.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #1120
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Love it!!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Pageants
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #1121
tffnyjean
Mouseketeer

Your trip reports are fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to write them and post all those great pics!
tffnyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #1122
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Great photos as usual, Bret! So much has changed since I was there 4 months ago. The bridge sure looks different. I'm excited to try out the new places to eat in DCA. Someday...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #1123
kaoden39
Hugs

I never realized that they closed any rides during the on season. Great update Bret.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #1124
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
Love it!!!
Thank you Kaitlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffnyjean View Post
Your trip reports are fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to write them and post all those great pics!
Thank you tffnyjean and TY for coming along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Great photos as usual, Bret! So much has changed since I was there 4 months ago. The bridge sure looks different. I'm excited to try out the new places to eat in DCA. Someday...
Thank you Deej. A lot has changed from 4 months ago in April. The bridge just doesn't look the same like it has been and I wonder what it will look like in a few more months. You will love eating at PP restaurants. I got to try the pizza which was good and I also ate there another night. But that will be another time. Glad that you still here.

Now it is time to get back to the TR. We only have two more posts (including this one) and what you have all been waiting for about my experience at the D23 Expo.

Day 1 – August 18, 2011 – Part 5

I have left off at the Tomorrowland monorail station where my DA and I will be going on Monorail Orange and ride it around the resort. Also here are some pics from the back side of monorail (no it is not the back part of the monorail but the last car). Here are some pictures on board Monorail Orange headed to the DTD Monorail station.

Monorail Blue is already in Tomorrowland while we just left the sation

BWPPI from the Monorail Orange

Carthay Circle Theater construction site

Carthay Circle Theater construction site

When we got to the DTD Monorail station, we just stayed on it again and went back to Tomorrowland. Here are some pictures from the Monorail Orange again going to the TL station.

TL Monorail station and the FNSV dock

Matterhorn Mountain

Looks so weird to see Matterhorn Mountain all quiet during the summertime

We got off the monorail and the next thing we did was just go around the park. I wanted to get some more pics of the back side of Frontierland since it is always interesting to see. So the two of us head on over to the back side. On the way over, I got some pictures around TL and the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn Mountain (I don’t know how many times I got a picture of the Matterhorn from this side)

Monorail Blue passing over the FNSV lagoon with Scout on the track

FL doesn’t look that bad that afternoon

When we were about to head to FL, Monorail Blue past bye

Fantasyland wasn’t that bad, Dumbo was about 20 minute wait while Casey Jr. line was all the way out to the entrance. But overall all the rides around FL are not that bad and it is easy to walk around FL to the back side of Frontierland.

When we got to Frontierland, it was very interesting to see that BTMRR was broken down. One of the trains was stopped on the bridge while completely empty. Talk about a bad time for people to ride BTMRR and have to get off the bridge. That would be neat to get off the bridge from BTMRR.

After seeing BTMRR was down, the two of us decided to head out of DL and head on back to DCA. A friend of mine from LA was in DCA and wanted the two of us to meet her at DCA. So we head on straight out of the park and over to DCA. On the way, I had to get more different pictures around MS.

MS was a little busy with people waiting for the 6:30pm Soundsational parade.

This is for you Lil’ Grumpy, when I checked the window for the dvd/movie there was no picture in it. Acutally there was some characters from Winnie the Pooh, but you can’t see it from this angle.

When we got outside the park, my DA felt tired so she told me that she heading back to the hotel at BW Stovall’s. So she went back to the hotel while I went to DCA and meet my friend.

Another pic of the former Golden Gate Bridge and the Carthay Circle Theater

I walked through the west side going towards Condor Flats and took some more different pictures.

Soarin Sign

Mist jet engine was on and it felt nice to go through

The new temporary entrance when Buena Vista Street is under construction

Over at Condor Flats, I thought I try and see what color I would get for WoC. It was around 6pm that time and when I got my FP, I got the 10:15 pm yellow FP as I have expected.

After leaving GRR FP machine, I head on over to PP.

That’s it for this post, I will get back to you later tonight. The next one will be the last post of Thursday and next the D23 Expo.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 08-25-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #1125
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I never realized that they closed any rides during the on season. Great update Bret.
Same here, I know that they would close any rides for refurbishment during the slow part of the season, but not during the summertime. Just like last year when AiW was closed part way due to the safety issues.

Thank you Michele.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: