Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #991
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

I enjoy your reports. Thanks for posting them!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #992
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Finally caught up.

It was interesting touring with you, even as quick as it was. I enjoyed contrasting WDW to DLR with you as we have both been to each park a bunch. I think our quick walking pace may of made it hard for you to collect pictures.

It was fun all the same.

I wish I had an opportunity like you did, when you suggest they use FPs for SM and you wait. I would of tried to use the Single Rider line then and see how close you were to each other. At least you got a decent picture going down the falls.

I'm really glad I skipped your pictures and writing of LM, ST and Soundsational. Although not parade picture can show how much movement there is in the dancers and floats.
Yes, we had a very nice talk about the difference between WDW and the DLR while we were in walking and in the queue for Indy. It was nice to hear from another person that has a lot of experience at the parks. Since I was being a guide for the family the whole trip, it was great to talk to you that day.

It was fun no matter what for those first two hours.

That was really nice from the family to let me use one of their hotel FP for SM. Since I have rode it plenty of times, they could have use the extra FP for another ride, but they wanted me to come along. That would have been really neat if you got on the same log as we were on. That was a decent picture from SM, I could have done it a little better, but that picture seems fine to me.

I understand that you don't want to read, see the pictures or watch the video when you are heading to DL in a few weeks. But it does give you an idea of what to expect during the trip. You are right about that the pictures cannot show such great movement and videotaping can't get everything while you watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
I enjoy your reports. Thanks for posting them!
Thank you DeluxePrincess.

I should have the last part of "A Renunion with an Old Friend at DL" later today. So stay tune to the last part.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #993
kylie71
Can't wait for more!
I love mexican food, sooo Much!

I'm enjoying it very much as well!
When is your next trip??
kylie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #994
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie71 View Post
I'm enjoying it very much as well!
When is your next trip??
Thank you kylie71 for coming along on my trip.

My next trip is in August during the D23 Expo. I am so looking forward to this trip. Even though I am not going to spend a lot of time in DL during the Expo, but I will definitely go inside the parks during that trip.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #995
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – June 21, 2011 – Part 4

Day 2 – June 21, 2011 – Part 4

Here is the last part of "A Reunion with an Old Friend at DL".

As we finished Winnie the Pooh, there was still time to do other rides until we met up with the DGF son’s family. They were in DCA and will take some time since they were doing some rides over their. The lines for SM and Pooh were already so long then normal days at DL. But the whole family was happy to get on Splash and Winnie the Pooh.

While we were heading on out of CC, some of the group had to use the restroom including me. So I pointed out that the closest restroom where we were in CC was the Hungry Bear restaurant. The DGF and DGS wanted to go on Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes while they waited for the rest of us. This was a good opportunity to get some rest while we waited for those two.

The DGM wanted to rest after Splash Mountain, the DM and I went over to BTMRR and get the FP. The DGS wanted to go back on BTMRR and I told them while we were waiting for them, we can use our tickets to get FP. So the two of us went on over to BTMRR while the DGM was waiting underneath Hungry Bear Restaurant waiting for the DGF and DGS.

When we got out FP at BTMRR, we only had a 30 minute wait time until it was time to return to BTMRR. I checked the wait time for BTMRR and it was half an hour wait. I predicted that it would be around 2pm that Tuesday. So the DM and I headed on back to Hungry Bear restaurant and we met up with everyone.

The DS wanted to go on the Jungle Cruise, so that was our next stop. On the way over to Adventureland, the DS looked at TSI and wanted to go over to the island. But I told him that it is just a place for running around and he all of a sudden changed his mind. There wasn’t much to do over there and told him that we can do more if we head on over to JC. While we were walking, the HM was at 20 minute wait, POTC 20 minute wait, Indy was already at an hour. These were long wait times, but not that ugly.

Luckily since it is a walk on, we only had to wait 5 minutes to get on the ride. Our JC guide was really nice and fun to talk too. The DM liked our guide, but in my opinion it was okay, not that great. He could have been more energetic with the guests, but each CM operator has their own personality to the ride. The DM got scared during the ride especially the piranha scene. That part mostly is the one that scares the people a little, but not that much.

When we got off, it was getting hot and I didn’t have something nice and cold to eat, so I told the group that a good place to get a nice treat is at the Tiki Juice Bar. Around this time would be really bad since it is during the afternoon and it was hot. When we got to the Tiki Juice Bar, the line was close to the exit of the Enchanted Tiki Room. But the group wanted to see the ETR, so we just went inside the queue and get our Dole whip inside. This time, I got the Dole Whip Float while the others got two Dole Whips and one more Dole Whip Float. This is something I must do everytime I go to DL. They really like it so much and I was glad that they did. It took quite awhile to get our Doles.

We head on in the ETR and I told them that this was the very first AA attraction at DL. The DGM loved the birds in the room. The DGS slept during the show and I was kind of surprise to see that. But the whole day was crazy and hot and that must have played a part for him to sleep during the show.

When we got out, the other family members were already in the park and told us to meet them right by the Riverbelle Terrace. We met up with the DGF son and his family at Riverbelle Terrace. The DGF son had a young adult daughter who just graduated from HS, young daughter and son. They are all locals in San Diego and were here to see their grandparents.

While we were talking, our FPs for BTMRR was about to be used up, the DM, DGS, DGF son, his wife and their daughter used our FP for BTMRR. The rest of us just waited around the Riverbelle Terrace and talked to one another. I showed them Mickey’s Soundsational Parade that I have videotaped during the Memorial Day weekend trip.

When the rest of the party arrived, they wanted to go on POTC. So that was our next ride. I can’t believe I have rode POTC three times this trip. It has been awhile since I rode POTC three times or more during this trip. I didn’t want to wait in that queue, but I was a good sport about it and got to know the family more while we were in the queue. We had to wait around 25 minutes in the queue to get on the ride.

Some of the young family kids were really scared of the ride, but they did like the ride. At the end of the ride, the DGS was kind of interacting with the parrot at the end of the ride. He kept talking to it and said that it does not interact with the guests. He was disappointed about it. But he enjoyed the ride.

POTC was always fun to ride and our next one was JC again. This time, we have the whole family with us for the ride. I have no problem with the riding it twice since it is always fun to hear a different JC operator. We had a nice young lady named Vanessa and she was way more energetic than our last operator. That was way better to have a great operator on the ride then someone who is less enthusiastic.

I found a duck right chilling on the rocks by the King Cobras.

After finishing JC, both families wanted to go on HM, but since the wait time was around 20 minute wait, the DGF, DGM, & DM were all tired and wanted to go back to the PPH and rest up. The DGS wanted to be with my uncle and his family that day, but the DM wanted him to be with them the whole time. He was not happy about it, but he has no choice. It was also my time to head on out of DL and pick up my dad. It was around 5:00pm and I head on out of the park with the DGF, DGM, DM and DGS while the family decided to stay in DL and do some rides.

On the way out of the park, I asked if they wanted to buy something at the stores. Since I have an Premier AP, they could saved a lot of money. They asked me which store on the way out of the park is good to shop, I said that was the Emporium which was the biggest in DL. They agreed to go to the store with me on the way out.

POTC was really long that day and around 5pm

The wait time for Indy was at 70 minutes and JC went up to 10 minutes.

While we were walking on the way over to the Emporium, everyone was so grateful that I helped them with their trip during those two days. It was really fun to be in a big group after the last few trips which have been solo for me.

At the Emporium, I knew that they were remodeling the store, but I was kind of surprise to see how much of it was being remodeled. So we head on over to the children clothing section so that the DM and DGM can find some baby and child shirts for their other grandchildren and cousins. That was really nice of them to think about other family members.

When they were finished purchasing their items, it was time to head on out of the park. It was close to 5:30pm when we left the park. When we past the turnstile, we parted ways while they went back to PPH for a rest and I was on my way back to BW Anaheim Inn to pick up the car. Everyone was grateful to me for helping them out and I was also grateful for them to spend my time with them. I have met a nice family that my dad knew for a long time and it was fun.

I headed back to BWAI and I picked up the car around 5:45pm. I was lucky that I was able to leave the car at the hotel and leave it their instead of parking at the DLR parking lots. The time I was allowed to leave the car at BWAI was until 6pm that day.

On the way out, I got snagged in traffic on I-5 since it was a weekday. I headed on over to LA to pickup my dad where he was staying at his friends house.

After I got him, it was around 7pm and we were on our way back home to Sacramento. It took us about 6 hours to get from LA to Sacramento and that concludes my trip to DL on June 20 - 21, 2011.

This was a pretty fun trip. I got to meet my dad long time army friend and his family. We got to do all the good rides at DL and DCA. Got to do WoC on Monday and my dad was so amazed with the show. I told him that you have to see the show in person and experience what it feels then watching it on video. Got to do Soundsational parade and go on rides that I haven't done in quite some time. Plus I got to meet my dad's friend sons family which was nice to meet.

The only things I was kind of disappointed that I haven't done during the whole trip was MFW. This was the first time in almost a year and a half that I haven't done MFW. I wanted to go up and take pictures of the new PP and Goofy's Sky School. But it was a good trade of enjoying it with another family. I didn't do BLAB which was kind of a shock to me. I thought the family wanted to do that ride, but they were occupied with other things.

But in the end, it was a fun time to be with my dad's friend family and also my dad. Even though he is not a Disney person, he did enjoy being at the park with me and his friend. I also had a great time with Matt (skiingfast) and his DS that Tuesday morning at the Plaza Inn for breakfast. We also had a great time at DL during that Tuesday morning and got on some good rides that morning.

Now that trip is over with, I have to get my PTR set up for my August trip to DL during the D23 Expo. I am looking forward to this one after the 2009 D23 Expo. I have learned a lot of lessons from that trip back in 2009 and I am hoping that I won't make the same mistakes that I regret at that time.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 07-08-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #996
kylie71
Can't wait for more!

Thanks for the wrap up! I love those Dole Whip Floats!
I'm looking forward to your next trip too...
You are a great trip reporter!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #997
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the wrap up! I love those Dole Whip Floats!
I'm looking forward to your next trip too...
You are a great trip reporter!
It was nice to finished up this TR so I can get ready for the next one. The Dole Whip Float was really good, but I would still prefer the Dole Whip since I didn't drink all the pineapple juice.

I got to write up my PTR and tell what is my plan for attack for the D23 Expo week. I can't wait to leave next month for the Expo.

Thank you Kylie
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #998
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Hi Bret!

I'm not all the way caught up yet but I wanted to comment on some things before I forgot.

You sure have a lot of knowledge about the trains. I don't really pay attention to which engine/car is pulling into the station.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Casey Jr. How rude of that family.

I really liked the picture of the duck by IASW.

And finally...thanks for reporting back about the flowers by the Hub! You know me too well when it comes to the flowers. I'm sure Sherry would enjoy knowing what the current Hub flowers were as well.

Gotta get back to doing laundry, unpacking, etc. after being gone for 6 days. I'll read the rest of your TR later.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #999
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Hi Bret!

I'm not all the way caught up yet but I wanted to comment on some things before I forgot.

You sure have a lot of knowledge about the trains. I don't really pay attention to which engine/car is pulling into the station.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Casey Jr. How rude of that family.

I really liked the picture of the duck by IASW.

And finally...thanks for reporting back about the flowers by the Hub! You know me too well when it comes to the flowers. I'm sure Sherry would enjoy knowing what the current Hub flowers were as well.

Gotta get back to doing laundry, unpacking, etc. after being gone for 6 days. I'll read the rest of your TR later.
Hi Deej, its nice to hear from you.

The trains at DL are very important to me since I love trains since I was a little child. My parents took me a lot to Old Sacramento to ride the trains down the Sacramento River. The trains and the monorails are by far my favorite rides at the DLR & WDW. Everytime when the steam engines pull up to the stations, I always guess what engine is pulling up. I mostly get them right since I know the whistle sounds of each of the five engines. All of the engines & cars are very unique. The C.K. Holliday #1 and E.P. Ripley #2 are the youngest steam engines in service at DL since they were built by the Disney Company. The Fred Gurley #3, Ernest S. Marsh #4, & Ward Kimball #5 are the oldest engines at the DLR. All three engines were purchased from these different companies and refurbished them for service at DL.

When you go back to DL one day, you should try to ride up in the cabin with the engineer and fireman. That is so fun to ride up front in the cabin and talk to the CMs about the steam engines. Another possibility is the Lily Belle which I have rode in the past and enjoyed it so much. I heard that you have to go to City Hall or the MS station and asked the CM if you can do any of those two options.

Since my dad's friend family were in the caboose, I had to go in the next car by the caboose. Then that family just came in and took it. I was kind of upset, but I didn't want to cause a commotion so I just waited for them. It would have been nice to ride my childhood favorite ride at DL. But maybe one day I will be back on that ride.

After seeing your pics of the ducks on the track of IASW, I had to get that for you.

It was no problem, it would have been better if I did get more photos of the flowers around the park, but I have lost track with that group. But on that day, I knew that I had to get that for you and Sherry. I got to remember to get the pictures of the flowers around the DLR next month.

Thank you Deej.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #1000
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Good wind up.

I was thinking of your pictures when I went on MFW. Though DS wanted the MFWoD. But we wear paired with a DM and DD. So instead of taking lots of picture myself I spoke to the mom about here trip. Gave her some tips about FP, SR and Parent swap, and really hope they used the later because she was missing some of the big rides, while her DS and DH rode them. But the whole ride my back was to Carsland and I only peaked over me shoulders a bit to look into it.

Rode this after TSMM and getting a WoC FP and LMAUA after we left you at the gates. So you were possibly that close to riding the big wheel.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #1001
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Good wind up.

I was thinking of your pictures when I went on MFW. Though DS wanted the MFWoD. But we wear paired with a DM and DD. So instead of taking lots of picture myself I spoke to the mom about here trip. Gave her some tips about FP, SR and Parent swap, and really hope they used the later because she was missing some of the big rides, while her DS and DH rode them. But the whole ride my back was to Carsland and I only peaked over me shoulders a bit to look into it.

Rode this after TSMM and getting a WoC FP and LMAUA after we left you at the gates. So you were possibly that close to riding the big wheel.
Thanks Matt. I forgot to put on my ending about you and your son. It was fun to finally meet you in person and we had a great time during that short morning.

I am glad that you were trying to take pictures of MFW after seeing my pics from my past trips. But it was really better for you to give those tips to the people who were in the gondola with you and your DS.

I was not happy that I didn't get my usual aerial photos of the DLR, but I can trade it for the good times with my dad's friend family that day. I also helped my dad get that picture at the DTD and he was happy with it.

Thank you Matt for a great time.

Also I am now considering doing another trip to DL again. This time I was thinking of going to DL during the Halloween season on the first day of MHP. My plan was going to the DLR on Sept 30. to Oct. 2nd. I have done this last year with my DA and DC, but this time I was thinking of going solo and attend MHP on Sept. 30. The main reason is not MHP, but it is for the Halloween overlay of WoC. I have read that WoC is doing a Halloween overlay for the Halloween season and that is the main reason I want to go back to DL during the Halloween season. Also the price for the hotels during the first week of October is cheaper to go. I know that it was hot during that time last year, but it is good to get the Halloween season done early then later.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #1002
kylie71
Can't wait for more!

Good thinking Brett, it could be very hot that time of the year in Anaheim.
I know exactly what your talking about in Sacramento,,, I was born in Carmichael.. interesting to hear a fellow Sacramento person refer to my hometown!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #1003
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good thinking Brett, it could be very hot that time of the year in Anaheim.
I know exactly what your talking about in Sacramento,,, I was born in Carmichael.. interesting to hear a fellow Sacramento person refer to my hometown!
The weather when I was there in October last year was really hot and it did felt like summer time especially it is during the Fall season.

The weather at this time of the month in July is the hottest in Sacramento. That is neat that you were born in Carmichael Kylie. It is good to hear from another Sacramento person that talks about it. This is a great city to be in and I love it so much.

Thank you Kylie
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #1004
kylie71
Can't wait for more!

I enjoy going to the Arden Fair mall, on the way to my brother's who lives in Middletown, Ca. That's about 30 miles from Napa, in the hills above.
I really like Sacramento, but like living in Reno, NV. It's smaller nd I love the weather.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #1005
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I love your reports!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Pageants
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: