Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #3271
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Great pictures and it's so nice how you get all over the park, I wish that we could come out there and spend time, but with the cold and Fran's mobility we'll be lucky to do the Jingle Cruise.

I love all the various lands and the different decorations. We'll have to try and get out there and see some of them!
Thank you Alison. It would be very nice if you and Fran were able to join us along the trip. Hopefully you will be able to go back to the DLR shortly and enjoy all the Christmas decorations.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #3272
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 8

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 8

On the last update, we were in Disneyland that night to meet up with DGM, DM and DD2 that night. This was the first time in a long time that my DA and I were spending a trip together with other people where it mostly has been the two of us during the trip. When we got to the park, we went straight to New Orleans Square to have dinner at Royal Street Veranda to have Clam Chowder and Gumbo. After that, we went to our first ride of the night which was Pirates of the Caribbean. DD2 was scared of riding PotC and hope that she won’t get scared with the other rides during the night. Back to the trip report.

After riding PotC where DD2 was scared of riding it, DM told her that it wasn’t that scary. DGM and DM were happy that DD2 was able to ride PotC with them. Even though DD2 was scared of riding PotC, she did enjoy some areas of the ride.

When we left PotC, we head on over to the Haunted Mansion Holiday to see what the wait time was at and maybe we will be able to go on the ride that night.

But when we got to the HMH, the wait time was already at 35 minute wait time which was quite long that night and we didn’t have time to spend it in the queue of the HMH since we have “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks to watch that night as well as Wintertime Enchantment Holiday Lighting.

We didn’t ride HMH that night and DD2 could be scared of the ride. But we were able to ride HMH during the trip and hopefully DD2 won’t be scared of riding HMH during the trip. We went on over to Critter County to ride Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh since the wait time was only at 2 minutes which is a walk-on.

This was a great opportunity to get some pictures of Winnie the Pooh ride with the new body. During the September trip with PiO and her family, we rode it two times which was good to get some pictures of the ride. This was also my first experience using the new D7100 body on the ride and some of the pictures didn’t turn out really that well. But I was able to get some pictures of the ride that night where we all rode it.

DGM & DM really enjoyed going on Winnie the Pooh ride that night where it wasn’t that long to get on the ride. I am so amazed how short the wait time for Winnie the Pooh at DL compared to the MK version where it get 10 times longer to get on the ride.

After we rode Winnie the Pooh, we decided to hear on over to It’s a Small World Plaza to ride one of my favorite rides during the Holiday season which is It’s a Small World Holiday. Riding IASWH at night is one of the best experiences when riding the ride when the lights on the façade are all light up. Since we were in CC, it would take some time to walk on over to IASW Plaza. So we all head on over to IASW Plaza to go on IASWH.

While we were walking on over to IASW Plaza, I like to get some Holiday decorations pictures while walking on over to IASW Plaza.

Pooh Corner with its Holiday decorations

We went through the backside of Frontierland to see Big Thunder Ranch with its Holiday lights are all light up at night. Big Thunder Ranch opens and closes at a specific time of the day and it was already closed when we walked by.

I had to stop again to see Olaf at the Frozen Meet & Greet Area. It is closed as well that night and when we got to see Olaf, he was already sleeping. It was neat that Olaf was awake and talking during the daytime. But at night, he was sleeping and might wake up occasionally and then go back to sleep.

We were now at IASW Plaza and it looks great at night with all the Christmas light and decorations all light up at night from the trees, wreaths, bushes and buildings.

Just when we were walking on up to IASWH, the IASWH Clock show started. Every 15 minutes at night when the clock opens, the ISWH Clock show starts and project videos of the Christmas season. This show has been at IASWH during the Holiday season but it was just recently updated with new projections and it was very nice to see an upgrade to the show.

After watching the IASWH Clock show, we saw the wait time for IASWH and the wait time was at 20 minutes which was not that bad it was a nice time to wait to get on IASWH. So we all went on that night.

I had to get pictures when we were in the queue.

The E.P. Ripley Engine #2 with Holiday 4 car set passing by IASWH that night.

Just when we got close to board IASWH, there was something wrong and CM’s were not loading any guests in the boats. We were all wondering what was going on. We waited almost 15 minutes in that one spot when the CM’s are working to get the ride going.

The IASWH Clock show started while we were waiting.

The ride restarted and we were about to board the boat to ride IASWH. It took about 30 minutes to get on the ride that night where we thought it would only take 20 minutes to get on it. But an extra 10 minutes didn’t hurt that much for all of us. DGM, DM and DD2 were all excited to experience IASWH for the first time since they have never been to the Holiday season. It is so fun to ride IASWH during the Holiday season for me and my DA.

That will be it for this post and I will have more from It’s a Small World Holiday.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #3273
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

How did the rest of your pictures work out inside WtP?

Piglet is fantastic!

I missed seeing IaSW lit up at night. I so need to come back.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #3274
scrpbookr
Mouseketeer

Iasw

They do such an amazing job with IASW for the holiday! I need to add seeing that to my bucket list!
Disneyland Hong Kong - Mom, Reagan & Mike - 2010 (1st Visit)[
<--COMPLETED TRIP REPORT
Magic Kingdom - Reagan - Spring Break Cruise- 2012<--COMPLETED TRIP REPORT
Disneyland, CA & California Adventure (1st Visit to C.A.)- Dad & Reagan -Spring Break, 2013 <--COMPLETED TRIP REPORT
Disney World and Disney Magic Cruise! (1st Disney Cruise)- Mom and Reagan - Spring Break, 2014<--TRIP REPORT IN PROGRESS
Mixing Business & Magic - (1st Solo Disney Trip) Conference & Disney World - June, 2014 (TRIP REPORT COMING SOON)
Disneyland Resort Paris - (1st Visit) - Sept, 2014
^Paris Disney Dreams Come True - TRIP REPORT IN PROGRESS^
scrpbookr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #3275
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
How did the rest of your pictures work out inside WtP?

Piglet is fantastic!

I missed seeing IaSW lit up at night. I so need to come back.
Most of the pictures from Winnie the Pooh were all blurry and I missed a lot of picture shots due to the settings on my Nikon D7100. I was trying to switch ISO settings to make sure that there is enough light in the pictures. It was a little difficult taking pictures on WtP over PotC where PotC was slower than WtP. I have learned a lot of what to do with the settings on the D7100.

Thanks.

You should consider going to the Christmas season next year and to be able to enjoy the full effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrpbookr View Post
They do such an amazing job with IASW for the holiday! I need to add seeing that to my bucket list!
Disney did a great job with IASWH at DL and a must see.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #3276
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 9

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 9

On the last update, we all were able to ride Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Critter Country while it was a walk-on that night. After that, we head on straight on over to It’s a Small World Plaza in order to ride It’s a Small World Holiday. When we got on over to IASWH, the new show of IASW Clock show during the Holiday season was playing every 15 minutes when the clock opens and shows a new projection show. After watching the show, we head on over to IASWH and we waited quite a while to get on the ride since it broke down. We waited almost 30 minutes to get on the ride and now it is back up and running.

We just boarded IASWH after waiting in line longer than expected since the ride broke down. Luckily we didn’t have to wait a long time to get on the ride. We were at the back of the boat and glad that we were on the ride.

I was so excited to use my new Nikon D7100 body on the ride and I have learned a lot from Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride a while ago from the settings on the new camera. It did took a while to get used to the controls on my camera when riding Winnie the Pooh. I made too many errors where it is different from my Nikon D5100 body to the D7100. I was more comfortable using the D7100 on IASWH. For most part of the ride, I have used ISO-1600 for the dark parts of the ride while I used a lower ISO on the bright parts of the ride like the end. The f-stop was set at f/2.8 thanks to the Tamron 17-50mm lens.

My DA and I have been riding IASWH for many years and it is one of our favorite rides during the Holiday season. Mostly the ride is still the same over the years with a few changes to the ride. I will get to that during the cruise. This was DGM, DM and DD2 first time riding IASWH. They have rode the original IASW during other trips and were excited to see the holiday version.

Just entering the building

Were almost at the year 2014

I will have more from IASWH.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #3277
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I'm thoroughly enjoying the pics from your November trip. It's been quite a while since we've been to DL during the holidays and it looks like they've added more holiday cheer and decorations.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #3278
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm thoroughly enjoying the pics from your November trip. It's been quite a while since we've been to DL during the holidays and it looks like they've added more holiday cheer and decorations.
Thank you Angela. The DLR have added some more decorations this year where last year they were concentrating on most of it's holiday budget on Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. It is nice that other places around the DLR are getting decorations instead of concentrating on certain lands, buildings, etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #3279
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 10

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 10

On the last update, we were all riding It’s a Small World Holiday which is one of my favorite rides during the Holiday season. I don’t ride IASWH at night with the crowd wait times but everyone in our group wanted to ride it was dark. It’s always fun to ride it when the lights are on at night. We are half way through the ride and now back to the other part of IASWH.

Now back to IASWH where we are now in the Mexican area of the ride.

The final area of the ride which is the fun scene.

The end where you get to see the Holiday post cards is very nice to see.

We were now outside and waiting to get back at the docks and enjoy our rest of the night at DL. We were hoping to watch “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks that night. But there was a good chance that it wasn’t going to happen since it was quite windy that night and the fireworks at DL doesn’t play when it is windy unlike the MK at WDW where it will play the fireworks on a windy day unless the weather is really bad.

We got off the ride, DGM, DM and DD2 had a fun time riding IASWH that they wanted to go back on another day during the trip. Maybe during the morning time during the trip would do really nicely since we got to ride it at night. We went on over to pickup their stroller.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from DL that night.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3280
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Fantastic pics, Bret. Looks like you and that camera/lens are settling in nicely together.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #3281
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Great pictures, Bret. IASW is my favorite ride too! I need to upgrade my Canon xTi one of these days but it still takes pretty good pictures. I dropped my camera on our first day of vacation and was forced to use my 50mm lens the entire trip! Not ideal but I guess it could have been worse because at least my camera was working even if my smaller zoom lens was not!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #3282
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Fantastic pictures, Bret. I decided to take a ton on that ride too. None of mine look as good as yours. I liked the holiday version of that ride better than the original. HMH is also better than the original. Our Jingle Cruise driver was pretty awesome too.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #3283
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Fantastic pics, Bret. Looks like you and that camera/lens are settling in nicely together.
Thank you PiO. We are all getting along very nicely. In the future, you can see me go to Full Frame when the time is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
Great pictures, Bret. IASW is my favorite ride too! I need to upgrade my Canon xTi one of these days but it still takes pretty good pictures. I dropped my camera on our first day of vacation and was forced to use my 50mm lens the entire trip! Not ideal but I guess it could have been worse because at least my camera was working even if my smaller zoom lens was not!
Thank you Kathy. I'm sorry to hear about your lens. At least your body wasn't damaged during the drop and still able to use a different lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Fantastic pictures, Bret. I decided to take a ton on that ride too. None of mine look as good as yours. I liked the holiday version of that ride better than the original. HMH is also better than the original. Our Jingle Cruise driver was pretty awesome too.
Thank you Kim. The Holiday version of IASW is way better that the original version. I still like the original but I really do missed the old version of IASW before they added the Disney characters in the ride. Nice to hear that you had a great skipper during your Jingle Cruise experience.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #3284
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 11

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 11

On the last update, we were all riding It’s a Small World Holiday which is one of my favorite rides during the Holiday season. We were half way through the ride and just finished riding it. It is so fun to go on it during the nighttime which akes it more fun. The ride experience is the same like the other years. Now that we finished riding IASWH, we were back at IASW Plaza to wait for our next activity. Back to the trip report.

After getting off IASWH and it was around 8:45pm and we had 45 minutes to go until the 9:30pm show of “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks. We didn’t stake out a spot in front of Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle since there was a good chance that Believe fireworks will be canceled due to high winds. It was likely that Believe fireworks was not going to play that night since it was a little windy and I checked on my iPhone that it was somewhere in the 8 MPH. That was really windy in SoCal that night.

It was a long shot that Believe will run that night, but we decided to wait around IASW Plaza to watch the fireworks. I have never watch the fireworks from this spot but I have heard and seen pictures from this area. I always wanted to watch the fireworks in front of IASWH where it will project during Believe.

Since it was cutting close to the fireworks, we decided not to go on any rides until it was time for Believe fireworks if it ran that night. While we were waiting, we got to see another show of It’s a Small World Clock show on the façade. It is so neat to watch the show every 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to videotape it since I didn’t have my tripod all set up. There were a few times that I didn’t

The show was over and it was neat to see it. The show is less than two minutes and it plays every 15 minutes after the clock at IASW opens. This happens during the Holiday season where there was an old version and was replaced with the new one.

We still had a while to go until it was time for Believe fireworks at 9:30pm so we just used that time to relax until it was time for the fireworks.

We went to Fantasyland at the Had Hatter store to look at the hats. DGM & DM wanted to buy some ears for DD2 at the store and she was able to find something. She found some Minnie pink ears which was very nice. I thought that she would buy the Christmas Minnie ears but she wanted to use them when they come back to the DLR during a different season.

After getting the ears at the Mad Hatter store, we went back to IASW Plaza to wait for the fireworks at 9:30pm. We had about 15 minutes to go until the fireworks started at 9:30pm and it was still windy that night and it likely that it will be canceled and we haven’t heard of any announcement that Believe fireworks will be canceled. There is a little chance that it will play that night so it won’t hurt to wait awhile. It’s better than waiting 2+ hours in front of SB Winter Castle to watch the fireworks when it is windy.

While my other party members are waiting at IASW Plaza, I went on over to get popcorn at one of the stands. I was hoping that there would be a new popcorn bucket during the Holiday season. Last year, there was a Santa Mickey popcorn bucket which was neat.

When I got up to the stand, they had the Santa Mickey popcorn bucket just like last year and I was a little sad that Disney didn’t design a new bucket during the Holiday season. But I did get the popcorn bucket for DD2 that night.

I then head on over with my group to wait for the fireworks. I set up my tripod and we were waiting that night to hear the news that we will see Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks or see it canceled that night from high winds. I set up my new MeFoto RoadTrip tripod along with a bracket that can hold two devices on the tripod instead of one. I bought the bracket for the trip so I can videotape and take pictures all at the same time without having one device on the tripod.

Tripod all set up for the fireworks that night as I was playing with the settings. I set the exposure longer so I can see something different.

It was past 9:30pm and we didn’t see the lights go out. I knew that it was not going to happen that night and after 4 minutes, DL made the announcement that Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks was canceled that night due to high winds. I knew that it was not going to happen and some people around the area were not that happy that it was canceled. It is sad that the fireworks are canceled due to high winds but it is for safety reasons.

Even though the fireworks was canceled that night, there was still the finale of the fireworks that didn’t happened yet. They also played Wintertime Enchantment Holiday Lighting music where we were. Mostly the show is at SB Winter Castle where the castle lights up. They played the music while we were at IASW Plaza.

After that, you can’t end the night without snow. Around IASW Plaza, it will snow after Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks. Since the fireworks didn’t happen that night, it still snowed. A lot of people went out on the streets to get snowed on that night.

After it stopped snowing at IASW Plaza, I packed up all my equipment and we all started to go on to our next activity at DL that night. But that will be on another post.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #3285
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

There were so many things I missed this trip. I never even got to see IASW all lit up. Your photos are nice. The show must have been awesome too. Even though it is only 2 minutes, I would have liked to watch it. Glad you watched it. Those popcorn buckets are cute. I scooped one up as well. They must have had a lot left over from last year or something. I meant to get a hitch hiking ghost bucket during Halloween time but forgot. When we were doing the Holiday Tour, I saw them out somewhere. I could not remember where.

Sorry the fireworks were cancelled. We never saw them from the park as usual. The night we arrived, I saw them going off from the car. On our first park day, we watched WoC. I saw them going off from the tram line. We left the park at 2:30 and 6:00 respectively the other two days, so it was not in the cards for me either.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: