Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3241
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

Digging the trip report, great pictures Bret!
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #3242
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret --

I have a bunch of comments. I hope I remember all of them.

1. I saw your post over in the POTD thread, and -- as I always do -- had to giggle about your comment on the "ugly plastic trees" in Toontown! As you know, I am not a fan of the ugly plastic trees either. It does look like the little toy train or whatever it is next to the ugly tree is new? Yes? I don't recall seeing that little train before but I may have missed it.

2. I think I am the lone person who does not like the snowflake motif above the turnstiles! While the holidays at DLR generally win out over Halloween Time in terms of overall Resort-wide decor -- by a long shot -- the above-turnstile decor for Halloween Time is much better, I think. I've always thought the character pumpkins were adorable, and a great way to set the mood for Halloween.

That snowflake decoration just looks...cheap (to me). It's just boring. Why couldn't DLR have replicated the character pumpkin idea and put snowmen -- or snow characters -- above the entrance to DL? Or why not gingerbread characters? How about a nutcracker Mickey, reindeer Pluto, and an elf version of Donald? There is so much more that could be done with the holiday decor above the turnstiles instead of that snowflake mess.

3. Speaking of things I don't like in terms of holiday decor... I know you didn't make it over to the PPH to get photos of the tree, but when I finally saw a picture of this year's PPH tree I wasn't pleased. The beautiful color is still the same, but the decorators added in all of these seashells and surfboards and things around the bottom of the tree -- as well as a starfish tree topper and random netting draped around the tree -- and I think it makes everything look too cluttered. Also, all of that stuff at the bottom of the tree cuts the length of it down a bit (visually). They're trying too hard to tie in the tree with the surf/sand/sun theme of the PPH. Sometimes the DLR folks need to just leave well enough alone and not try to change every single thing. Certain things need to be changed. Others are fine as they are (like the old Toontown trees).

4. I was thrilled to see in your photos that there are some decorations in Fantasyland! I had no idea they were there! When I was there on 11/15 I could swear that those extra strands of garland were not up in FL -- and, in fact, I think that Jamie just said in the Superthread that Fantasyland was lacking in decorations so I assumed it was business as usual this year. Even one or two strands of garland in FL is big news to me! I may have overlooked it when I was photographing the Frozen meet & greet, but I tend to think that the garland didn't pop up in FL until after I was there. I suppose I would have noticed the FL decorations next week, but now I know for sure that I have to make a point to look for them!

5. There was also some extra garland up in Pacific Wharf -- on the Ghirardelli facade -- this year! I have to assume you saw it. First the Winter Village and ESPN Zone wreaths, then Hollywood Land, then Fantasyland, Adventureland, Pacific Wharf -- Disney is going wild with the holiday overlays all of a sudden! I love it! This is what I have been hoping for -- decorations everywhere. I don't like being fully immersed in holiday splendor in one land, then another land, then another...and then find nothing of any kind in the next land! It takes me out of the whole holiday experience. I like it to be a fluid, continuous, enveloping holiday experience.

If you tell me that you saw any kinds of holiday decorations on the Condor Flats facades or Tomorrowland facades, I might . I think those lands are the last 2 -- the only 2 -- left without any holiday touches of any kind (not counting any merchandise in the shops). This year, every other land but those 2 has some sort of holiday decor.

6. I know that you will talk about this in your TR down the road, but I'm not sure if you will get to it or if I will have time to read that installment of the TR before I head off for my own trip on Sunday.

So I will ask now -- did you get your miniature souvenir Jingle Cruise poster outside of Jingle Cruise, or were they already all gone? I was reminded of it when looking at your photo of the large poster above. I know that the mini-posters are being given out at some location or another to people getting off of Jingle Cruise, and they are in limited supply. I have already been on Jingle Cruise and I don't think the posters had even been printed at that point, so I didn't get one on 11/15. I am willing to make that my first ride of the day (and of the trip) on Sunday if I can nab one of those posters! I am so afraid they are going to be out of stock and that I will miss out on getting one. (I didn't even get a free blue Frozen ornament, even though those were being given out on 11/15. By the time I realized they were being handed out, I think the ornaments had all been given away.)

7. I like the Jingle Jangle Jamboree (and the Halloween Carnival). In fact, did you see the photo I posted in the Superthread a few days ago, of the hidden Mickey at the JJJ? ...But I felt that something was missing from the JJJ this year. I can't figure out what. Do you know what I mean? Did it feel like something was missing to you? There seemed to be more space to walk around so it felt a bit empty. Maybe they cut down on some of the Reindeer Games? Something was different.

Also, Santa seems to sometimes be outside at the JJJ, posing for photos, and then other times he moves into that dark little cabin (even on non-rainy days). If the CMs were going to just randomly move him back inside the cabin here and there, they may as well have just kept Santa in the cabin and never moved him outside. That's where he always was at the old Reindeer Round-Up...in the cabin. I think that some people may go there, hoping to have a certain backdrop for their Santa photos, only to realize that Santa has moved and the picture will look different.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #3243
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Beautiful decorations at JJJ and I love your pictures. I hope you're happy with that new lens and camera.

The snowflake on top of DL turnstiles....it looks smaller than the pumpkin characters. Is that the way it is?
Most of the pictures at the back of Frontierland was from Big Thunder Ranch and I just entered JJJ in the Festival Arena. The next posts will have pictures of JJJ from the Festival Arena. I have been so satisfied with the new body and lens during the trip in which the pictures turned out great. I will consider renting a wider lens for the trip or a telephoto lens to get up close pictures where the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens has limited range and width of taking pictures. But I am still happy with the lens that I bought. The pictures have improved dramatically from the Nikon D5100 to the Nikon D7100. As you have said it before that it is all about the photographer than the equipment that takes great pictures.

The snowflakes on top of the turnstile is way smaller than the pumpkin characters. When I compare the pictures of the turnstiles, the Halloween characters are way bigger than the snowflakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
The decorations are lovely. I like the snowflake. It is awesome that Tony Baxter got his name in a window. Those tiny details are so much fun to spot. When the boys get older, I want to make a point of explaining the importance of having your name in the window.

I really want to make it to JJJ. We never even walked by there in October, and I really wanted to see Conjure a Villain among other things. I think we need another trip next October just before our passes expire.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
The decorations are very nice during the Holiday season. Tony Baxter definitely deserves a window on Main Street for all the work he has done at the park. The little details are fun to look for when I ever go to the parks. Maybe your boys will know when they get older of the importance of having your name on the windows of Main Street.

You and your family will have a great time at JJJ. Your trip is coming up shortly and glad that you will be going back to the DLR during the Holiday season. That is a good idea to go back to DL in October before your AP expire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Great updates Bret. Glad the rain didn't keep you away.

I really like that calendar. It seems like they are difficult to find? I'd love to pick one up. I like to place a calendar on the hidden side of the fridge and the attractions one would be so much more fun than our usual shift calendar for DH's job. Where do you think would be the best place for me to find it?

The photos are stunning. Thank you for sharing them.
Thank you Jenny. The rain will never stop me when I go down to the DLR. It would have been nice if it did rain a little so I can get some pictures of the park with the rain on the ground.

The 2014 Attraction Poster Calendar are very neat and glad that I was able to find it at the Los Feliz Five & Dime store. At first it was difficult to find it at the Los Feliz Five & Dime and it was a good thing that the other CM told her colleague that they do have them in stock. That will be a very nice place to put the attraction poster calendar on your fridge. From all the stores that I have went around the DLR, the one’s that will have it is at the World of Disney store in DTD, the Emporium at DL & Los Feliz Five & Dime at DCA.

Glad that you are enjoying the pictures from the trip. It won’t be too long until your trip and I am excited for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Grove Chris View Post
Digging the trip report, great pictures Bret!
Thank you Chris for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret --

I have a bunch of comments. I hope I remember all of them.

1. I saw your post over in the POTD thread, and -- as I always do -- had to giggle about your comment on the "ugly plastic trees" in Toontown! As you know, I am not a fan of the ugly plastic trees either. It does look like the little toy train or whatever it is next to the ugly tree is new? Yes? I don't recall seeing that little train before but I may have missed it.

2. I think I am the lone person who does not like the snowflake motif above the turnstiles! While the holidays at DLR generally win out over Halloween Time in terms of overall Resort-wide decor -- by a long shot -- the above-turnstile decor for Halloween Time is much better, I think. I've always thought the character pumpkins were adorable, and a great way to set the mood for Halloween.

That snowflake decoration just looks...cheap (to me). It's just boring. Why couldn't DLR have replicated the character pumpkin idea and put snowmen -- or snow characters -- above the entrance to DL? Or why not gingerbread characters? How about a nutcracker Mickey, reindeer Pluto, and an elf version of Donald? There is so much more that could be done with the holiday decor above the turnstiles instead of that snowflake mess.

3. Speaking of things I don't like in terms of holiday decor... I know you didn't make it over to the PPH to get photos of the tree, but when I finally saw a picture of this year's PPH tree I wasn't pleased. The beautiful color is still the same, but the decorators added in all of these seashells and surfboards and things around the bottom of the tree -- as well as a starfish tree topper and random netting draped around the tree -- and I think it makes everything look too cluttered. Also, all of that stuff at the bottom of the tree cuts the length of it down a bit (visually). They're trying too hard to tie in the tree with the surf/sand/sun theme of the PPH. Sometimes the DLR folks need to just leave well enough alone and not try to change every single thing. Certain things need to be changed. Others are fine as they are (like the old Toontown trees).

4. I was thrilled to see in your photos that there are some decorations in Fantasyland! I had no idea they were there! When I was there on 11/15 I could swear that those extra strands of garland were not up in FL -- and, in fact, I think that Jamie just said in the Superthread that Fantasyland was lacking in decorations so I assumed it was business as usual this year. Even one or two strands of garland in FL is big news to me! I may have overlooked it when I was photographing the Frozen meet & greet, but I tend to think that the garland didn't pop up in FL until after I was there. I suppose I would have noticed the FL decorations next week, but now I know for sure that I have to make a point to look for them!

5. There was also some extra garland up in Pacific Wharf -- on the Ghirardelli facade -- this year! I have to assume you saw it. First the Winter Village and ESPN Zone wreaths, then Hollywood Land, then Fantasyland, Adventureland, Pacific Wharf -- Disney is going wild with the holiday overlays all of a sudden! I love it! This is what I have been hoping for -- decorations everywhere. I don't like being fully immersed in holiday splendor in one land, then another land, then another...and then find nothing of any kind in the next land! It takes me out of the whole holiday experience. I like it to be a fluid, continuous, enveloping holiday experience.

If you tell me that you saw any kinds of holiday decorations on the Condor Flats facades or Tomorrowland facades, I might . I think those lands are the last 2 -- the only 2 -- left without any holiday touches of any kind (not counting any merchandise in the shops). This year, every other land but those 2 has some sort of holiday decor.

6. I know that you will talk about this in your TR down the road, but I'm not sure if you will get to it or if I will have time to read that installment of the TR before I head off for my own trip on Sunday.

So I will ask now -- did you get your miniature souvenir Jingle Cruise poster outside of Jingle Cruise, or were they already all gone? I was reminded of it when looking at your photo of the large poster above. I know that the mini-posters are being given out at some location or another to people getting off of Jingle Cruise, and they are in limited supply. I have already been on Jingle Cruise and I don't think the posters had even been printed at that point, so I didn't get one on 11/15. I am willing to make that my first ride of the day (and of the trip) on Sunday if I can nab one of those posters! I am so afraid they are going to be out of stock and that I will miss out on getting one. (I didn't even get a free blue Frozen ornament, even though those were being given out on 11/15. By the time I realized they were being handed out, I think the ornaments had all been given away.)

7. I like the Jingle Jangle Jamboree (and the Halloween Carnival). In fact, did you see the photo I posted in the Superthread a few days ago, of the hidden Mickey at the JJJ? ...But I felt that something was missing from the JJJ this year. I can't figure out what. Do you know what I mean? Did it feel like something was missing to you? There seemed to be more space to walk around so it felt a bit empty. Maybe they cut down on some of the Reindeer Games? Something was different.

Also, Santa seems to sometimes be outside at the JJJ, posing for photos, and then other times he moves into that dark little cabin (even on non-rainy days). If the CMs were going to just randomly move him back inside the cabin here and there, they may as well have just kept Santa in the cabin and never moved him outside. That's where he always was at the old Reindeer Round-Up...in the cabin. I think that some people may go there, hoping to have a certain backdrop for their Santa photos, only to realize that Santa has moved and the picture will look different.
-I still wonder why I posted that picture of the ugly plastic tree at Mickey’s house. It would be nice to see the old trees at Town Hall, Minnie’s and Mickey’s house but I don’t think they will ever come back as long as those ugly plastic trees are around. The train right next to Mickey’s ugly plastic tree is new. I didn’t go in Toontown last year so I am guessing that the train is new to Mickey’s tree. It is a nice train to have.

-The snowflakes on top of the turnstiles are okay but it would be nice if TDA added some more touches to the turnstiles when you enter the park like garlands like when you enter DCA. The giant Halloween pumpkin characters during the Halloween season are way better than the snowflakes as for creativity and height.

That is a great idea for the DL turnstiles to have during the Holiday season. The snowflakes are okay and it would be nice for DL to change the top of the turnstiles with those ideas.

-I did see some pictures of the PPH Christmas tree on Dateline this morning and the tree looks nice but just as you said that it should be left the way it was from the past years. Sometimes the DLR tries to make it match the theme where it doesn’t look that great. For the guests that are visiting for the first time during the Holiday season would think that the Christmas tree is nice to see as is but for regulars like you, me etc. it is a little different and it is not as great like from years past.

-When I was walking around MS, I thought about walking over to the new Fantasyland Faire to see if there is any Holiday decorations. This is the first year for the new Fantasyland Faire during the Holiday season and it was nice to see that DL added some decorations to it. It is nice to the decorations at the FL Faire since there are a lot of guests over in that area to see the princesses. DL needs to add more decorations to FL.

-It is so nice that DL added more decorations to other places around the resort. With CL and BVS had it’s holiday decorations last year, this year’s Holiday money goes to all the different area around the resort to make it more great during the Holiday season. It was nice to see sport wreaths at the ESPN Zone in which it doesn’t get any during the Holiday season.

I don’t believe I did see any Holiday decorations at Condor Flats or Tomorrowland. Those are the only lands at both parks that don’t do any Holiday decorations.

-We didn’t get any of the Jingle Cruise mini posters during our trip. I believed the CM’s were handing them out after you rode the Jingle Cruise. We talked to a CM on Sunday during the trip if they have any posters left over and it was only available on Friday and Saturday. I really wanted one of those posters but after seeing the wait time as long as 45 minutes to ride the JJ, it wasn’t worth it for all of us during the trip. Now I wished that we spent time in the queue to get the posters but the other part is to walk around the queue to see the decorations on top. I believe this was a limited time offer of getting the posters on Friday and Saturday during my trip and it was limited quantities. We did ride the JJ on Monday and we asked again if they have the posters and they said the same thing that it was only available on those days.

-I did see your picture of the hidden Mickey at JJJ. It did feel like the Festival Arena during JJJ was open space than last year. When I looked at the Reindeer Games area it didn’t seem like there were more games to play this year from last year.

Having Santa a the cabin from the old days of the Reindeer Round-Up is a good place for him then having him at the Festival Arena in the open. It is nice to see that the cabin was busy but I was also hoping to go in the cabin to take some pictures of the Christmas decorations.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #3244
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret --

Thank you for mentioning the Dateline article! I quickly went to it so I could further assess the PPH tree decorations. It is actually worse than I thought! Kathy/ksromack posted a photo of the tree in the Superthread the other day but I didn't get the full scope of all of the new ornaments and knick knacks on the tree until I saw the Dateline photos.

I really have no problem with "themed" trees and themed decorations at all. I embrace all of the masks in New Orleans Square, as well as the tires and hubcaps in Cars Land, and the wreaths made out of wood and straw in Frontierland. I like that Disney is trying to go with a particular theme for the PPH tree. I just think it's too "busy." It's too cluttered. They put too much stuff on the tree and under the tree, and it takes away from the beauty of the blue-green lights. I think that if the new ornaments were a little smaller, and if the seashells and surfboards under the tree were just a little smaller, that would make a big difference.

I will see the tree in person this weekend and will see if my mind changes on it. It's certainly not as horrible as the change in Toontown trees (from festive and colorful to ugly and plastic), but it is a change that didn't need to be made!

I knew that the Jingle Cruise mini-posters were available only for a short time but I don't think I realized they were only available for one weekend! I really can't believe that Disney didn't print enough of those to hand out for at least a few weeks -- just to commemorate the first year of the Jingle Cruise. I think that was a mistake on their part. I don't know of anyone who actually got one of those posters.

Now in the case of Jingle Cruise, I think we all knew it wouldn't be an extensive overlay because the ride did not have to close. When the rides have to close we know the overlays are substantial. However, the holiday touches along the downstairs part of the queue are minimal, and we can only go upstairs and see the rest of the decorations if the line is really long. So we either end up missing some of the added holiday decor (which is not much to begin with), or we have to wait in a long line to see it. I don't think the whole thing was very well planned.

And the Jingle Cruise boats themselves are barely decorated. This is one case in which I think the Enhancement Team could stand to do more with the holiday overlay, and not less (unlike the PPH tree!).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #3245
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Catching up on your TR. I'm with Sherry on the snowflakes at the turnstiles.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #3246
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Me too. Seems a bit sparse for Christmas decorations on top of the turnstiles compared to what they put out for Halloween.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #3247
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret --

Thank you for mentioning the Dateline article! I quickly went to it so I could further assess the PPH tree decorations. It is actually worse than I thought! Kathy/ksromack posted a photo of the tree in the Superthread the other day but I didn't get the full scope of all of the new ornaments and knick knacks on the tree until I saw the Dateline photos.

I really have no problem with "themed" trees and themed decorations at all. I embrace all of the masks in New Orleans Square, as well as the tires and hubcaps in Cars Land, and the wreaths made out of wood and straw in Frontierland. I like that Disney is trying to go with a particular theme for the PPH tree. I just think it's too "busy." It's too cluttered. They put too much stuff on the tree and under the tree, and it takes away from the beauty of the blue-green lights. I think that if the new ornaments were a little smaller, and if the seashells and surfboards under the tree were just a little smaller, that would make a big difference.

I will see the tree in person this weekend and will see if my mind changes on it. It's certainly not as horrible as the change in Toontown trees (from festive and colorful to ugly and plastic), but it is a change that didn't need to be made!

I knew that the Jingle Cruise mini-posters were available only for a short time but I don't think I realized they were only available for one weekend! I really can't believe that Disney didn't print enough of those to hand out for at least a few weeks -- just to commemorate the first year of the Jingle Cruise. I think that was a mistake on their part. I don't know of anyone who actually got one of those posters.

Now in the case of Jingle Cruise, I think we all knew it wouldn't be an extensive overlay because the ride did not have to close. When the rides have to close we know the overlays are substantial. However, the holiday touches along the downstairs part of the queue are minimal, and we can only go upstairs and see the rest of the decorations if the line is really long. So we either end up missing some of the added holiday decor (which is not much to begin with), or we have to wait in a long line to see it. I don't think the whole thing was very well planned.

And the Jingle Cruise boats themselves are barely decorated. This is one case in which I think the Enhancement Team could stand to do more with the holiday overlay, and not less (unlike the PPH tree!).
Your welcome. After reading and looking at the pictures from the Dateline article yesterday, it was a little different from last year’s tree.

The DLR is trying to match the Christmas decorations with the themed lands, buildings, etc. during the Holiday season which is nice. It is always nice to see decorations at the lands that match the lands closely. Since I don’t see the PPH Christmas tree like you do every year, I can’t say until I see it myself one day.

Hope you have a great trip this upcoming weekend.

I was unaware when we arrived at the DLR on Friday and saw that there were guests walking around with the Jingle Cruise mini posters. I talked to my DA about the posters when the guests were walking around with them. She thought that the stores were selling the posters and she wanted to get one as well as me. But when we found out that the CM’s were handing them out after riding the ride, it we were tempted to ride it. But the wait time was just way too long at 40+ minutes that it didn’t make any sense for us to ride it. So we waited another day to get the poster. It was a huge mistake on us since it was only available on Friday and Saturday during the trip. I looked on ebay to see what they go for and they go for quite a bit. I was hoping that a DISer was able to get one but it looks like that no one has got one yet.

The Jingle Cruise did not close for an extended time like IASWH or HMH with its overlays. It almost looked like they just added the decorations overnight in which it didn’t take too long to put up. For the boats, they just put them the side dock in the backstage area to decorate so it won’t take too long as well. I didn’t go upstairs since we went first thing in the morning on Monday which was a busy day during the whole trip.

The boats are barely decorated and the queue is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Catching up on your TR. I'm with Sherry on the snowflakes at the turnstiles.
Nice to see that you caught up Angela. The snowflakes on the turnstiles are okay and it would be nice if they change it with something new.

Quote:
Me too. Seems a bit sparse for Christmas decorations on top of the turnstiles compared to what they put out for Halloween.
The Halloween decorations on top of the turnstiles are way better than the Christmas decorations.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #3248
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 4

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 4

On the last update, I went to Disneyland where my DA stayed behind to rest up at Best Western Anaheim Inn. This was a great opportunity for me to go to Disneyland Park to take some pictures of the Christmas decorations until I head on back to meet up with my DA. When I entered DL, the decorations at MS look so amazing every year. It was nice to see some Christmas decorations at the Fantasyland Faire. Then I was able to go to Big Thunder Ranch to see Jingle Jangle Jamboree. This is the 2nd year for JJJ and hope that it will be better this year than last year. Now let’s get back to the trip report.

I am now in the Festival Arena for the Jingle Jangle Jamboree during the Holiday season. This is the second year since JJJ opened last year. When I got to see it last year, I wasn’t that impressed too much since I like the former Reindeer Round-Up at Big Thunder Ranch without using the Festival Arena. This year, I wanted to be wrong that having JJJ will be a good thing than a bad thing where there weren’t any reindeers at Big Thunder Ranch.

When I approached JJJ, it was kind of quiet with some people in the area. Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies were not playing during the time I arrived but it was nice to walk around to see what was going on.

On the left hand side was the Reindeer Games area for guests to play games. But there was nothing going on around that area since there were no CM’s and it was covered up since it was sprinkling that time.

On the building were rope snowflakes which was neat.

Over on the other side was the character meet & greet area mostly for Santa. But he was at the cabin so it was unoccupied when I was there.

A Christmas tree for the tree quest along with a wreath.

There were a few characters out at JJJ including Santa Goofy.

There were a lot of interesting Christmas decorations to take pictures from the backside.

Holiday Crafts area

The Country Bears were also out there greeting guests. Just like last year’s JJJ, they were out there.

The Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree stage is the place to see Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies. They were not out there but there were a lot of nice Christmas decorations to look at.

Just like during the Halloween season in which they have special treats and drinks, JJJ have some Holiday treats and drinks. I didn’t get any since I was waiting for dinner with my DA and the group.

A look at the Christmas goodies

Few more random pictures of the Christmas decorations around the Festival Arena before I left and head on over to the next area.

After looking around the Festival Arena of JJJ, I started to leave the area and moved on to my next area to look for any changes and new decorations to the Holiday season. This will be it for this post and I will have more from DL.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3249
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Bret,
Great pictures of the JJJ!
TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #3250
PrincessInOz
in

Love the details you captured. Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #3251
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Bret,
Great pictures of the JJJ!
TK
Thank you TK.

Quote:
Love the details you captured. Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome PiO.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #3252
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 22nd, 2013 – Part 5

On the last update, I was in Disneyland looking at the activities at Jingle Jangle Jamboree. It mostly looked the same with a few changes to it from last year to this year with a better selection of Holiday food and drink choices. Mostly it is the same with the character meet & greet area, Reindeer Games, Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies, craft area, and Holiday merchandise. Now back to the trip report.

After walking around JJJ to see the Holiday decorations and activities, I started to leave Big Thunder Ranch. While I was walking on out, it stopped sprinkling. But I did kept my rain cover on my camera just in case if it started to sprinkle again.

Big Thunder Ranch BBQ was not opened during the time I walked right by the entrance.

The wagon with Holiday decorations from presents & stuff animals.

When I walked on over to Fantasyland, I head on over to the Frozen Meet & Greet area which was the former Tangled Meet & Greet. At first, it was neat to see something new at FL with the Frozen M&G area. The building had snow and icicles on the building. But the newest part of the Frozen M&G was an Audio Animatronic Olaf. That was a neat idea to put Olaf at the top of the building. He does talk every once in a while. When I looked at the wait time to meet Queen Elsa and Princess Anna but the wait time was already at 30 minutes.

After looking at the Frozen M&G for a while, I moved on over towards IASW Plaza to get pictures of the Christmas wreaths on the light poles. The park started to get a little busy that afternoon with more and more people in the queues.

The Teacups were not running since it rained that day.

I was now at IASW Plaza and it was neat to see the Holiday wreaths.

I love this wreath every time I see it at IASW Plaza with the fireworks and crackers which is China wreath.

Now I was passing by IASWH which looks so beautiful during the Holiday season. I didn’t plan on riding it when I was solo since I had some free time to take pictures of the decorations and look to see if there is anything new. The wait time for IASWH was at 30 minutes which was long.

The lights on IASWH was not on and it was getting a little dark.

After looking at IASWH, I head on over to Mickey’s Toontown to see the Holiday decorations. I didn’t go to TT last year since I was concentrating all my time at Disney California Adventure with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. Since I was a the park solo, I had some time to see the decorations.

At TT, the decorations are very interesting to look at which had a lot of garlands, wreaths, ribbons, and of course tree’s in Mickey’s Toontown.

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin looks great during the Holiday season especially the wreath on top with Santa Roger

More random wreaths around Toontown

When I was around City Hall, I saw the ugly plastic tree. This tree along with Mickey’s and Minnie’s house tree didn’t belong at Mickey’s Toontown in the past during the Holiday season. These trees were actually from the former Mickey’s Toontown Fair at WDW Magic Kingdom. Now that Toontown Fair is now the new Fantasyland at the MK, they brought these ugly plastic trees to DL for the Holiday season. This is the third year since they brought these ugly plastic trees at DL and they haven’t impressed me one bit.

I moved along to the other side of Mickey’s Toontown where Mickey’s and Minnie’s house is located and looked for any Holiday decorations. At Minnie’s house, the heart shape wreath is at the top of Minnie’s house.

And of course, Minnie’s ugly Christmas tree.

Mickey’s house is all decorated during the Holiday season

And we can’t forget about Mickey’s ugly plastic Christmas tree. But this year, they added something new along with the ugly plastic tree is light up train right next to the tree which was neat to have right along the side of the tree.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from Mickey’s Toontown.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #3253
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Even with the ugly plastic trees, I think Toontown looks amazing during the holidays. We haven't been there in years but already told my family that they've got to give me at least 15 minutes to check it out and take photos. It's so jolly!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #3254
PrincessInOz
in

I'm with Jenny. Even though they are ugly plastic trees, Toontown looks awesome all gussied up with Christmas things.

And I love those wreaths. Wonderful.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #3255
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Even with the ugly plastic trees, I think Toontown looks amazing during the holidays. We haven't been there in years but already told my family that they've got to give me at least 15 minutes to check it out and take photos. It's so jolly!
There is no question that Toontwon looks great with the Holiday decorations but after seeing the ugly plastic trees that replaced close to real looking Christmas trees these last few years at Toontown, it just doesn't feel the same way of seeing the trees at City Hall, Mickey's and Minnie's house. I like to look closely at the small details at the parks and sometimes I don't like how DL is taking away decorations and replaced them with a cheaper solution. The ugly plastic trees are a way to cut costs on the time of using trees that have actual decorations. The ugly plastic tree do match the cartoonish theme of Toontown but I don't like seeing plastic trees than a Christmas tree with real ornaments, lights, etc. Chloe should spend some time as well with you so you can get pictures of the Holiday decorations at Toontown. There is always something to take pictures of when you are at Toontown. I spent about 10 minutes in Toontown when I was solo that Friday to get pictures of the Holiday decorations.

Quote:
I'm with Jenny. Even though they are ugly plastic trees, Toontown looks awesome all gussied up with Christmas things.

And I love those wreaths. Wonderful.
Toontown looks great during the Holiday season with all the decorations. The decorations at Toontown is worth seeing during the Holiday season.

The wreaths at IASW Plaza is very nice to see during the Holiday season.

Here are some pictures of the Christmas trees at Toontown before they were replaced with the ugly plastic trees that is there today.

I really don't like changes during the Holiday season with certain decorations like the Christmas trees at Toontown, the light canopy over the alley of New Orleans Square, the giant wreath above NOS where it was replaced with a giant gold mask, Max being replaced with Pluto during "A Christmas Fantasy" parade, etc. Sometimes new decorations or changes do make the area more better during the Holiday season.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 12-05-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: