Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #3136
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Great pics of Fantasmic! I've loved this show from the beginning too.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #3137
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great pictures of Fantasmic! Loving your pictures, Bret.

I'm glad you've decided to head more into manual mode. You'll enjoy the better control over how you want your pictures to look. But don't forget...the cameras these days are built with the smarts to calculate your exposure for you. If in doubt, push it back to one of the program modes and use that as a basis to learn what you like and how you like YOUR pictures to look.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #3138
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Your Fantasmic pictures are amazing. You must have had great seating. Sounds like an excellent DISmeet indeed. Glad you and PiO were there to help Fran and Alison with the scooter issues. I know Alison was having pain in her legs, so it was brave of her to push the scooter from DtD to their room alone.
Thank you Kim. They aren't actually seats but we did sit on the stairways right by the anchor close to the walkway by the RoA. It is between the F! dessert seating area which is not that bad I have seen that area a lot when I am sitting in the ground sitting area when I watch F! and it is okay but the only problem with that stairway spot is that there are the CM's and people walking by during the show. It is a nice spot for the VIP with little wait time. It was a great DISmeet by spending the whole day with PiO and her family and later with Alison and Fran. We all wanted to help Alison and Fran that night with their dead scooter. Fran bought some goodies that night from the Disney Gallery store and the dead scooter was all filled up with merchandise when they pushed it back to the room. We were willing to go with them to their room to push the scooter but she said that she will push it back when we were in DTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Great pics of Fantasmic! I've loved this show from the beginning too.
Thank you Angela. F! is a great show and still a great nighttime show as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great pictures of Fantasmic! Loving your pictures, Bret.

I'm glad you've decided to head more into manual mode. You'll enjoy the better control over how you want your pictures to look. But don't forget...the cameras these days are built with the smarts to calculate your exposure for you. If in doubt, push it back to one of the program modes and use that as a basis to learn what you like and how you like YOUR pictures to look.
Thank you PiO.

While hanging out with you during the trip, I wanted to expand the options of using more manual mode during the upcoming trips of showing the pictures of what I see and not using too much bright pictures at night. I will remember that really well with the exposures. I can always play with the setting when I am home so I can have some practice before the trip. Thank you for the tips PiO.

The next post will be up shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #3139
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 3 – September 16, 2013 – Part 1

Day 3 – September 16, 2013 – Part 1

On our last update, we just finished watching the 2nd show of Fantasmic! at 10:30pm and Fran was able to do last second shopping before we left the park. It was also a good opportunity for me to get my DB picture for his birthday without him noticing when I get back to Sacramento. After we finished shopping that night, we all went back to our rooms to call it for the night. It was the last day for me since I will be at the DLR for about half of the day where I will be heading back to Sacramento with my DB and his GF later that day. I will get to that later and now it is time for the saddest part of the trip which is the last day.

It was a nice Monday morning where I didn’t have to get up early like Sunday but I still had to pack all my stuff in my car before I head on over to meet up with everyone. The park didn’t open until 10am since It was during the slow season. When I finished packing and checked out of BWAI, I met up PiO, her DH and DS outside of BWAI.

Just before we head on over to the DLR, I gave them some caramel corn which my mom made so they could enjoy during the trip plus some merchandise from the D23 Expo that I have attended in August. PiO gave me some Tam Tams from Australia.

Then we head on over to the DLR and went straight to Alison and Fran room at the GCV where they are staying. We got to their room about 9am and PiO gave Alison the Tam Tams and I brought the caramel corn. When I looked at the villa that they were staying during the trip, I was amazed of how spacious it was and it could fit a lot of people.

After when Alison and Fran were ready, we head on over to DCA just before the park opened at 10am. We went through the entrance to DCA from the GCH since they were staying on-site and they could enter the park from the GCH.

Just when we were walking in DCA and going in the RSR FP queue to get FP’s that morning, Alison noticed that her scooter was having problems. This is similar to what happened the other day where the battery was having problems. Alison decided to take back her scooter to the room and walked with us during the day. She left the line since it was going to take some time to go through the RSR FP queue.

Since Alison went back to the room, the four of us head on over to Hollywood Land to ride Monsters Inc. as the first ride of the day. BVS was not that busy since most of the guests were in the RSR FP queue or over at Cars Land so we head on over to Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue first before we met back up with Alison while she is taking back her scooter.

We were all walking passed by the Mad T Party area. I didn’t have the chance to go by the Mad T Party to see the Halloween additions to the party since I was spending most of the day with PiO and spent a lot of time in DL looking at the Halloween decorations.

We got to Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, Fran decided to wait outside when Alison returned from dropping off her scooter. So PiO, DH, DS and I went on the ride. We only had to wait about 5 minutes to get on since it wasn’t that crowded that morning and it was a walk-on.

The four of us boarded in the taxi and we all had our cameras ready to take pictures during the ride. After going on this ride, I still remember the Monster’s Inc. taxi that was auctioned during the D23 Expo this past August. It is a nice item to have at the house and it was nice to go back on this ride after seeing it at the Expo.

Pictures from Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. Some of the pictures turned out really well while some of them turned out a little blurry. For the settings, I set the aperture at f/3.8, ISO speed at 1600 with different focal lengths. I set the Iso at 1600 while it wasn’t that too dark in the ride and I wanted to get the pictures just like what you see it during the ride. PiO and I talked again about the settings on the ride and it was a good opportunity to try the settings during the ride.

Celia and Mike

There is Randall

Boo and Sulley

Sushi anyone?

Celia is not that happy.

CDA (Child Detection Agency) is here.

Mike is loosing it

At the end is Roz

Just when we got off Monster Inc., we met up with Fran and Alison was their too. So we head all head on over to meet the VIP tour guide that Alison and Fran had set up for the day. Alison and Fran had one of their favorite CM to go with us during the day and enjoy the parks.

He took a picture of all of us together that morning.

Our first stop was to head on over to Radiator Springs Racers. So we all head on over to Cars Land to ride RSR that morning.

Just when we got over to RSR, the ride was down that morning. It almost feels like when I ever try to go on RSR first thing in the morning without getting the FP, the ride is not running.

Since we were in Cars Land, we decided to go on Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.

Fran decided not to go on the ride while the five of us went on the ride. While we were in the line, Alison and I were talking about the songs of MJJ. I remember during the D23 Expo when we were attending the Walt Disney Imagineering 60th: Leave ‘em Laughing screening on Sunday which Alison, Fran, my DA and I attended, the CM's that was talking during the screening were talking about MJJ and the songs with Larry the Cable Guy. There was one point during the screening that when they were coming up with the lyrics for MJJ is that Mater used the words dadgum and something a lot during the lyrics for MJJ. It was hilarious that I did laugh during the screening. I got to remember to write up the rest of my D23 Expo trip report when I finish this one since I am almost finish with it.

One of the sides of MJJ was not running when we were in the queue but it did ran when we were on the ride.

That will be it for this post and I will have more from Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #3140
PrincessInOz
in

Another great update, Bret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
While hanging out with you during the trip, I wanted to expand the options of using more manual mode during the upcoming trips of showing the pictures of what I see and not using too much bright pictures at night. I will remember that really well with the exposures. I can always play with the setting when I am home so I can have some practice before the trip. Thank you for the tips PiO.

You're welcomed, Bret. But you already knew most of what I was telling you; I was only just reinforcing it. You're a great photographer....just remember to use it to tell your perspective.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #3141
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

The thing I remember the most from MJJ was singing Mater's song all day. I did not notice it changing (like you told me it did a while back). This trip, I am going to pay attention. It was really nice of Fran and Alison to arrange the VIP tour. Why does RSR always break in the morning? It is really odd.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #3142
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another great update, Bret.

You're welcomed, Bret. But you already knew most of what I was telling you; I was only just reinforcing it. You're a great photographer....just remember to use it to tell your perspective.
Thank you PiO. I'll do the best I can when I take pictures.

Last night, I just bought the MeFoto RoadTrip tripod so I can use it a lot where it is portable where the one's that I have used in the past are a normal tripod without the head. I can't wait to get the MeFoto tripod in so I can test it out before I use it during the DL tirp in November. Thank you PiO for the link about the tripod and you convinced me after reading Tom Bricker blog.

Quote:
The thing I remember the most from MJJ was singing Mater's song all day. I did not notice it changing (like you told me it did a while back). This trip, I am going to pay attention. It was really nice of Fran and Alison to arrange the VIP tour. Why does RSR always break in the morning? It is really odd.
I forgot to mentioned on my previous trip report when my DA and I rode MJJ during the AP preview which was the last time I rode MJJ. The MJJ songs are not the same and are different during each ride experience. Hope you are able to pay close attention to the songs. It was really nice of Fran and Alison to set up the VIP tour. Almost every time I go to the DLR, RSR is not running in the morning. It has happened to me a lot when I get a FP or get on it first thing in the morning. I just don't know why it breaks down.

The next update will be up shortly.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #3143
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 3 – September 16, 2013 – Part 2

Day 3 – September 16, 2013 – Part 2

On our last update, PiO, her DH, DS, Alison, Fran and I are at DCA that Monday morning enjoying the parks. We rode Monsters Inc. that morning and later on that morning we met up with the CM tour guide that Alison and Fran arranged. We tried to go on RSR that morning when we were at CL but it was down so we are now about to ride Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.

When it was our time to go on MJJ, Alison and I rode together while DH rode by himself and PiO and her DS rode together.

DH and you can barely see PiO on the left hand side and we were waiting for the ride to begin.

Nice picture PiO.

When we got off MJJ, we checked at RSR to see if it is up that morning where the first time we try to go on the ride since it was down. Unfortunately, RSR was still not running that morning.

So our next ride that we decided to go on was to head on over to Paradise Pier to ride “The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure”. We walked on over to the Little Mermaid ride and as always in the morning, it was a walk-on. We all went on the ride.

Alison and Fran rode together while PiO and I rode together and DH and DS wen together on the ride. For the settings, I used the 18-105mm lens and set the aperture at f/4.2 and the ISO speed at 3200. When we rode it on Sunday, I set the ISO at 1600. This time PiO suggested that we should set the ISO at 3200. The pictures during the 2nd time at 3200 were a little better than the 1600.

Scuttle at the beginning of the ride

Going under the sea

Ariel and Flounder

Sebastian (it is so hard to get a clear picture of him)

Flotsam and Jetsam

Ursula

Ariel and Eric and Flounder at the bottom

Sebastian and King Triton

Eric and Ariel got married

Scuttle at the end of the ride

The pictures turned out really nice while some of them were still in a work of progress. I thought about using the 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens but I wanted to get more up close and wider shots during the ride.

We got off the Little Mermaid ride and now we are on our way to our next ride.

That’s it for this post and we will find out what happens next time at DCA.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #3144
PrincessInOz
in

Excellent shots, Bret. I think you'll be happy hitting ISO 3200.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #3145
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Excellent shots, Bret. I think you'll be happy hitting ISO 3200.
Thank you PiO. For the darker rides I will go with ISO 3200. I will definitely set the ISO at 3200 for HMH where I didn't set the ISO from my last time I rode when I ride But for rides like IASW I might still use the 1600 unless you think I should try something different.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #3146
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you PiO. For the darker rides I will go with ISO 3200. I will definitely set the ISO at 3200 for HMH where I didn't set the ISO from my last time I rode when I ride But for rides like IASW I might still use the 1600 unless you think I should try something different.
I've used both 1600 and 3200 in IaSW. There is no right nor wrong. It may depend on what lens you use and what the exposure meter says; and how you want your shots to look.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #3147
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi,
I love your pictures of MJJ. Is it a ride my DH won't be able to go on? He doesn't do rides like Star Tours as he gets motion sick although Indiana Jones is fine.

Your pictures were great at 3200. Makes me want to go and watch my new edition of TLM.

When do you leave for DL next?

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #3148
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Bummer that RSR was still down. Looks like MJJ was fun for y'all. Connor finally gets to ride in 7 (if we buy APs) or 8 days (if we use the one day pass we have leftover from WDW in 2003. I am so excited. More great photos on LM.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #3149
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've used both 1600 and 3200 in IaSW. There is no right nor wrong. It may depend on what lens you use and what the exposure meter says; and how you want your shots to look.
I'll go with 3200 since I have used 1600 during the January trip. Or I can just change it while riding IASWH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi,
I love your pictures of MJJ. Is it a ride my DH won't be able to go on? He doesn't do rides like Star Tours as he gets motion sick although Indiana Jones is fine.

Your pictures were great at 3200. Makes me want to go and watch my new edition of TLM.

When do you leave for DL next?

TK
Hi TK,

MJJ is a fun ride to go on.

The pictures on the dark rides at ISO 3200 turned out really well. TLM Blu-Ray is nice to watch.

My next DL trip is on Nov. 22nd to 25th. Later on in December it will be during the 26th to 29th. We will just miss you by a few days during your trip in December. I hope you and your family have a great time.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #3150
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bummer that RSR was still down. Looks like MJJ was fun for y'all. Connor finally gets to ride in 7 (if we buy APs) or 8 days (if we use the one day pass we have leftover from WDW in 2003. I am so excited. More great photos on LM.
It was a bummer that RSR was down that morning. But we did eventually got to ride it later that day. MJJ is a fun ride to go on. Hope you and your family have a great time during your DL trip.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: