Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #3061
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

It has been awhile since I have done a update from the 2013 D23 Expo. I will be doing a quick update of what happened during Saturday when I was at the Mickey's of Glendale store and my DA was at "Let the Adventures Begin: Live Action at the Walt Disney Studios" screening.

When I got to the show room floor, I had to wait in a line to get in while there are a lot of other people that are already in the store. So while I was waiting, I was talking to other Disney fans about the Expo.

Here are some pics of the merchandise while I was in the queue.

Vinylmation Artist signs were happening on Saturday and Sunday.

Just when I was about to enter the store, there were some people yelling at others right close to the exit of the Journey Into Imagineering pavilion. There were some people that exit the JII pavilion and cut in through the store line. Some of the people were arguing at the people that were trying to cut in the line and the staff told them that they had to go at the end of the line. It was not common during the Expo where there are people that will try to cut in the line so they won't have to wait to get in the stores, screenings, signings, etc.

I spent about 1 hour in the Mickey's of Glendale store to carefully look and choose what to buy since if I leave the store I won't have another shot at it since the lines take as long as over one hour. This was a very hard decision to be in the Mickey's of Glendale store to buy the merchandise since a lot of the good shirts, sweatshirts, pins, etc. are gone from Friday. But I was able to get a lot of neat stuff at the store. The one that I wanted the most and wasn't able to get was the Magicband shirt along with a WED retro polo shirt.

There were a lot of people looking at the pins

After shopping at the Mickey's of Glendale Store, I head on out and saw that going through Journey Into Imagineer pavilion was quite long as well as the store line.

I head on over to the Dream Store to get the Disneyland 4D puzzle that I wanted to get since there was no point of getting it on Friday with all the stuff that I bought. It was also a good opportunity to get some other stuff that I needed to get for my family. I bought a couple of more D23 Expo shirts for my cousin Chris and her sister.

Just when I was about to check out, I saw the personalized iPhone cases with the Disney parks, park signs, Hub, E Ticket, D23 Expo, & Mickey. I wanted to get all the different cases but I only needed just one. So my first two choices was the Disneyland park map and the E Ticket case. I went back and forward of which one to choose and I picked the Disneyland park map case over the E Ticket. I still too this day and while I am writing my trip report that I wanted to get the E Ticket case. But I am still happy with the Disneyland park map case which I have on my iPhone right now.

I asked the CM if these cases will be available after the Expo and she everyone that these cases are exclusively from the Expo and won't be available elsewhere. So it was neat to have a case which is only available during the D23 Expo.

They didn't have the case in the store and I had to fill out an invoice of which one I want to get. So I picked the DL park map case with black on the outside.

When I paid for all the stuff that I bought, I was directed towards the end of the check out area to see where I will be getting my iPhone case. There was a machine that prints the cases with the covers. I remember seeing that machine on Friday and was wondering why they have a machine right at the registers.

I gave them my invoice sheet to the staff that were working on the iPhone cases and told me to come back later since it will take some time to print out the covers. There were also other people too that were waiting to get their iPhone cases.

While I was in the area around the Silent auction, I head on back over there to see all the different items.

Old Matterhorn bobsleds

There were a few items that I didn't show on my last update from the show room floor silent auction items.

Honey pots display that was at Critter Country for Winnie the Pooh character meet & greet

Mark VII Autopia Ride Vehicle Wall Art by Foose Design

I still had some time to kill until I went back over to the Dream Store registers to pick up the case and so I walked in the Collector Forum area to see all the different stands.

This is the area where there are stands that has a massive selection of collectors and exhibitors for buying, selling, and trading all things Disney. Also with many Disneyana treasures, discussion boards, and fan groups.

One of the stands that was selling Disney animation art also had a prop from the old Submarine Voyage of the divers carrying a sunken treasure chest.

A Jungle Cruise remote control boat from the Disneyland hotel.

It was almost time to get my iPhone case from the Dream Store register area, I passed by the MousePlanet stand.

As well as the MiceChat stand

I just walked passed by it since I was heading on over to get my iPhone case at the Dream Store.

When I got to the register area, I picked up my iPhone case which came with the Disney-Tech box as well as a protector screen. For that much money for a case it was nice to get those included.

That is it for this post and I will have more from the D23 Expo.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #3062
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Amazing! That personalised iphone case must be so cool! Glad you got yourself one.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #3063
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Bret, is the Expo every year or every other year? My family and I will most likely be purchasing an Annual Pass in December and I'd like to get our moneys worth A trip to Anaheim for and Expo would be wonderful.
The D23 Expo is every two years which the first one started in 2009, the 2nd in 2011 and this years in 2013. So the next D23 Expo will be held in 2015. The dates are not announced yet but ticket will be available next year to purchase. In 2012 in between the 2011 and this year Expo is a event called Destination D which is a small event that is smaller then the D23 Expo. But it does talk about the history of Disney just like the screenings at the Expo on a smaller scale. I believe the last Destination D was in August of 2012 which Alison (franandaj) attended she might give you a better description of Destination D since she attended in 2012.

I am so excited to hear that you and your family will likely purchase AP during your December trip. You definitely will want to get your money's worth on the AP by going to the parks and getting the discount at the GCH, food and merchandise. I ma hoping that you will be able to attend the D23 Expo in 2015 and it will be nice to feet you in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Amazing! That personalised iphone case must be so cool! Glad you got yourself one.
Hi PiO. Thank you. I was glad that I got one instead of waiting after the Expo where these are only available during the Expo.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #3064
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Loving the additional pictures. I did not know the expo was every two years either. I may skip Destination D next year and wait for the expo even though we were planning a trip next August. We were thinking of buying APs when we go in October. Now, I am thinking of waiting until next year. We'll see, I guess.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #3065
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Loving the additional pictures. I did not know the expo was every two years either. I may skip Destination D next year and wait for the expo even though we were planning a trip next August. We were thinking of buying APs when we go in October. Now, I am thinking of waiting until next year. We'll see, I guess.
Thank you Kim. Gad that you are enjoying all the different pictures during the D23 Expo trip. The D23 Expo happens every two years ever since it started in 2009. Destination D will be next year in 2014 and I might consider going to it next year depends on what is showing. I am hoping that you are able to attend the D23 Expo in 2015 which will be something you will want to do. I will be looking forward to hear if you are going to get an AP for your trips.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #3066
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret --

I was suggesting to one of our regular DLR Christmas Superthread followers, egritz, to come here and ask you for fireworks, WoC and other nighttime photo pointers. Hopefully she will make it over here. She had asked about getting tips in the Superthread a couple of times, and yesterday I mentioned that your TR thread is full of fantastic fireworks and WoC shots (all of which only seem to get better over time!) and that you might be able to help -- although she has a Canon and you have a Nikon. I also mentioned that PrincessInOz had given you tips and maybe could add some insight to the discussion as well.

Of course, here I am, volunteering everyone's services as far as giving nighttime photo tips but that is part of what I do here -- I hook people up with or otherwise refer them to the threads or the people who can be of the most help for what they need.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #3067
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

It has been a while since I updated the D23 Expo trip report but I have not been feeling good lately and work is the same where I don't go on the threads a lot. But I will find a way to finish the trip report during the D23 Expo. This weekend will be the Sac Anime show which is one of the biggest Anime shows in Sacramento and I have worked as a vendor these last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret --

I was suggesting to one of our regular DLR Christmas Superthread followers, egritz, to come here and ask you for fireworks, WoC and other nighttime photo pointers. Hopefully she will make it over here. She had asked about getting tips in the Superthread a couple of times, and yesterday I mentioned that your TR thread is full of fantastic fireworks and WoC shots (all of which only seem to get better over time!) and that you might be able to help -- although she has a Canon and you have a Nikon. I also mentioned that PrincessInOz had given you tips and maybe could add some insight to the discussion as well.

Of course, here I am, volunteering everyone's services as far as giving nighttime photo tips but that is part of what I do here -- I hook people up with or otherwise refer them to the threads or the people who can be of the most help for what they need.
Thank you Sherry for mentioning other DISers to my thread on picture taking of the fireworks, WoC, F! & other nighttime shows. I am still learning much more to take even better pictures where they are getting better and better after every trip. I also do have to thank PiO (PrincessInOz) for helping me with the functions on taking pictures during the nighttime shows mostly for the firework trails. I can help out a little with the firework trails that I have learned a lot from PiO and this one booked called "How to Photograph Fireworks The Complete Guide to Capturing Fireworks Like a Pro" by Tom Bricker, Cory Disbrow & Adam Hansen which is a very useful for taking firework pictures. That book helped me a lot of taking the firework trails pictures. During the D23 Expo trip earlier this month, I was able to go to DL twice to get the firework trail pictures of Magical fireworks and they turned out not bad. The only thing that I didn't like about the pictures were the smoke with the trails. I am still learning on how to take pictures of the firework trails and get those out of the picture.

Here is one of my example firework trails photos when I took during the August trip.

Here is the exif data:
Exposure: 6
Aperture: f/16.0
Focal Length: 40mm
ISO Speed: 200

If PiO reads your post, she will be able to give some great tips of firework photography. You can go to PiO WDW PTR and she took some amazing firework trail photos Anyone Game? It’s my Sep 2013 Blog! The Broadband Experience-MB and FP+ #1031, 08/22 She also helped me with the dark rides picture taking which helps a lot and I'm still learning on how to take dark ride photos when the ride vehicle is moving.

These other DISers that you should talk to are KCMike, I'm Mikey & Elk Grove Chris which they take amazing pictures at DL. The Disneyland Resort Picture of the Day #5!! is a great thread which has a lot of amazing pictures of DL from the daytime to the nighttime.

I'm sorry for not being much of a help with the nightime picture taking.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #3068
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I really should bookmark this at some point, so I could try it out. I love the shots you're getting lately. Princess has some true photography talent.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #3069
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Bret --

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
It has been a while since I updated the D23 Expo trip report but I have not been feeling good lately and work is the same where I don't go on the threads a lot. But I will find a way to finish the trip report during the D23 Expo. This weekend will be the Sac Anime show which is one of the biggest Anime shows in Sacramento and I have worked as a vendor these last few years.

Thank you Sherry for mentioning other DISers to my thread on picture taking of the fireworks, WoC, F! & other nighttime shows. I am still learning much more to take even better pictures where they are getting better and better after every trip. I also do have to thank PiO (PrincessInOz) for helping me with the functions on taking pictures during the nighttime shows mostly for the firework trails. I can help out a little with the firework trails that I have learned a lot from PiO and this one booked called "How to Photograph Fireworks The Complete Guide to Capturing Fireworks Like a Pro" by Tom Bricker, Cory Disbrow & Adam Hansen which is a very useful for taking firework pictures. That book helped me a lot of taking the firework trails pictures. During the D23 Expo trip earlier this month, I was able to go to DL twice to get the firework trail pictures of Magical fireworks and they turned out not bad. The only thing that I didn't like about the pictures were the smoke with the trails. I am still learning on how to take pictures of the firework trails and get those out of the picture.

Here is one of my example firework trails photos when I took during the August trip.

Here is the exif data:
Exposure: 6
Aperture: f/16.0
Focal Length: 40mm
ISO Speed: 200

If PiO reads your post, she will be able to give some great tips of firework photography. You can go to PiO WDW PTR and she took some amazing firework trail photos Anyone Game? It’s my Sep 2013 Blog! The Broadband Experience-MB and FP+ #1031, 08/22 She also helped me with the dark rides picture taking which helps a lot and I'm still learning on how to take dark ride photos when the ride vehicle is moving.

These other DISers that you should talk to are KCMike, I'm Mikey & Elk Grove Chris which they take amazing pictures at DL. The Disneyland Resort Picture of the Day #5!! is a great thread which has a lot of amazing pictures of DL from the daytime to the nighttime.

I'm sorry for not being much of a help with the nightime picture taking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I really should bookmark this at some point, so I could try it out. I love the shots you're getting lately. Princess has some true photography talent.

I wondered why my ears were burning!

WOW! Thanks so much everyone. I have to thank everyone on the DisPhotoboard for helping me with my pictures; so if I can 'pay it forward', it's the least I can do.

ISO 400, f/16, 13 sec. I do have an ND-2 filter on my lens so I can have a little longer exposure time. You don't need the filter; but it does give you more options to play with. And I can thank Tom Bricker for the added expense.

The spot where these fireworks are shot from is dark; so I opened up the ISO setting to 400 but I noticed that there smoke was also exposing up in the pictures.

I took the ISO down to ISO 200 (which lets less light into the sensor).
I got lucky with the bursts in this one.

ISO 200, f/16, 13 seconds

Same location, a couple of weeks later. I was shooting with an Ultra Wide lens this time. (Again....an additional expense thanks to Tom Bricker and SRisonS on the Dis!)

ISO 200, f/18, 13 sec. Some of the below is a little over exposed; and I could dial the exposure time down a little; but the higher bursts are okay.

Sometimes, it's just about the timing. Same settings (ISO 200, f/18, 13 sec)....but with a different firework sequence, the exposure of this one isn't bad (to me).

And we all know that there is usually a massive burst of fireworks at the end. I play around with the settings to reduce the overexposure. in this instance, I dialled the time right down.

ISO 200, f/18, 4 sec

Hope this helps.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #3070
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Sorry I've been MIA Bret, it's been crazy busy for me. You got some great shots inside the stores of some of the merchandise. I was so busy trying to carry things, I forgot to take pictures of all the things that were available for sale. I'm working on my update from the Animation seminar and hoping to post it before the long weekend is over. These panels are so informative, it takes so long just to write them up from all my notes!

Thanks for your report, looking forward to hearing the rest!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #3071
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Sorry I've been MIA Bret, it's been crazy busy for me. You got some great shots inside the stores of some of the merchandise. I was so busy trying to carry things, I forgot to take pictures of all the things that were available for sale. I'm working on my update from the Animation seminar and hoping to post it before the long weekend is over. These panels are so informative, it takes so long just to write them up from all my notes!

Thanks for your report, looking forward to hearing the rest!
I have been MIA on my trip report for a long time and I haven't post one since last month. Thank you very much. I would have took a lot more pictures inside the Mickey's of Glendale store but I had to see what merchandise that I wanted to buy since I don't want to wait over an hour to get back in the MoG store. Those screenings were amazing. I wanted to go to the Animation seminar but the stores were on my list of top priorities.

While I am here, I got some good news. I will be heading down this weekend to SoCal with my DB and his GF to drop off some stuff for my DB GF brother who is going to school. So I will be down this weekend on Saturday and coming back on Monday. During the trip while I am at the DLR, I will get to see the Halloween decorations and a DISers meet up with PrincessInOz & frandandaj.

Originally I wasn't planning on going to SoCal this year since the D23 Expo last month and have two upcoming trips in November and December but since my DB was going down to SoCal to help his GF brother, it was a great opportunity to go.

I will have more details later on before the trip.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #3072
PrincessInOz
in

YAY!!!

So glad you could come down and we can DisMeet this weekend.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #3073
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I have been MIA on my trip report for a long time and I haven't post one since last month. Thank you very much. I would have took a lot more pictures inside the Mickey's of Glendale store but I had to see what merchandise that I wanted to buy since I don't want to wait over an hour to get back in the MoG store. Those screenings were amazing. I wanted to go to the Animation seminar but the stores were on my list of top priorities.

While I am here, I got some good news. I will be heading down this weekend to SoCal with my DB and his GF to drop off some stuff for my DB GF brother who is going to school. So I will be down this weekend on Saturday and coming back on Monday. During the trip while I am at the DLR, I will get to see the Halloween decorations and a DISers meet up with PrincessInOz & frandandaj.

Originally I wasn't planning on going to SoCal this year since the D23 Expo last month and have two upcoming trips in November and December but since my DB was going down to SoCal to help his GF brother, it was a great opportunity to go.

I will have more details later on before the trip.
What fun that you are going to DL this weekend! Plus meeting up with fellow DISers. I'll look forward to hearing about your trip and seeing any photos you can share with the Halloween decorations.

Nice that you can help your DB too.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #3074
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

It's great that you'll be going again, but it's too bad you won't be there on Friday the 13th when the Villains are unleashed, Bret!

I know that at one point earlier this week Tom/I'mTooExcitedToSleep and Mary Jo were trying to organize another DIS-meet before the Villains stuff begins on Friday night, but I don't know if they decided to scrap the idea or if they are still going through with it. (I think they're doing live coverage from Unleash the Villains for Unplugged.) I'm not sure if I will be at the meet but I will definitely be in the parks on Friday!

Don't forget to stop in Ghirardelli and get your free sample of pumpkin chocolate! And be sure to get some pictures of the All Hallows Eve version of the Mad T Party in DCA -- that is something brand new and different, and I'm curious to see it.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #3075
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
YAY!!!

So glad you could come down and we can DisMeet this weekend.

I will be looking forward to the DISer meet this weekend with you and Alison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
What fun that you are going to DL this weekend! Plus meeting up with fellow DISers. I'll look forward to hearing about your trip and seeing any photos you can share with the Halloween decorations.

Nice that you can help your DB too.
I was surprised as well when my DB told me that he and his GF are going down to SoCal this weekend. Plus to get to meet up with PrincessInOz and franandaj is very nice as well. I will get as many pictures of the Halloween decorations as possible. I will definitely have to go on Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy since I have rode it the last time in 2010.

Since he was going down this weekend and I have no work, it would be a perfect time to go down and help his GF brother with his stuff.

Quote:
It's great that you'll be going again, but it's too bad you won't be there on Friday the 13th when the Villains are unleashed, Bret!

I know that at one point earlier this week Tom/I'mTooExcitedToSleep and Mary Jo were trying to organize another DIS-meet before the Villains stuff begins on Friday night, but I don't know if they decided to scrap the idea or if they are still going through with it. (I think they're doing live coverage from Unleash the Villains for Unplugged.) I'm not sure if I will be at the meet but I will definitely be in the parks on Friday!

Don't forget to stop in Ghirardelli and get your free sample of pumpkin chocolate! And be sure to get some pictures of the All Hallows Eve version of the Mad T Party in DCA -- that is something brand new and different, and I'm curious to see it.
I'm glad that I will be going back down during the Halloween season. I wasn't even planning on going this year after the D23 Expo and the upcoming Holiday trips in November and December. Since my DB and his GF were going down this weekend to take some stuff for her brother who is going to Irvine University, he asked me if I wanted to come and I just couldn't say no to the offer. I did asked him what days he was going and Saturday was the day they could go since both of them are working and have the day off on Monday. I'm just glad to go with them during this weekend. I did read about the Friday the 13th "Limited Time Magic" at the DLR and I'm just glad to be able to go down this weekend.

That will be neat that Tom and Mary Jo will be doing a live coverage from Unleash the Villains for Unplugged. I will be looking forward to hearing about the Unleashed the Villains. You have a great time on Friday.

I will make that a must do list when I get to the parks on Saturday and stop at Ghirardelli and get some pictures of the All Hallows Eve at the Mad T Party at night.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: