Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #3031
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm impressed Brett that you have had time to update. I'm in line waiting for the show floor to open and we are going directly to the imagineering pavilion.
Hi Alison,

I had some time this morning waiting in the D23 members line and I brought out my iPad and do a quick update from yesterday while I'm waiting. I'm in the wait queue to get into the Mickey's of Glendale store to buy my merchandise which I didn't get to do yesterday. My DA lined up for the D23 Arena so you might see her inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Great updates! So Planes is worth going to the theater to see? I'm still having flashbacks to Cars 2 which was underwhelming except for the Toy Story Short at the beginning.

Looks like you are having fun!
Thank you TK. I heard that Planes is good and got bad reviews before the movie came out. I am a Cars fan and we both enjoyed the movie. I think that it is worth seeing if you are a Cars fan. If not I would wait till later when it comes out on blu ray.

A note when we were in the Arena yesterday that the arena was not even filled up during the screening which was kind of a shocker.

We are having a great time and hope to see more later today.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #3032
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Great updates! Looks like you having fun.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #3033
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great update. Love the food truck and the fact that there were snippets of Planes. I saw the trailers in the cinemas and thought it looked remarkably like a "take-off" of Cars. It certainly didn't inspire me to go see it.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #3034
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Great update.

I think Planes looks really good but I loved Cars.

Lunch looks delicious.

My Chloe would have flipped over the Kingdom Keepers event. She loves the books.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #3035
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

I'm looking at your pictures from the Journey Into Imagineering pavilion while watching D23's Twitter feed from the Richard Sherman / Alan Menken concert. I got to see Richard Sherman perform at WDW at D23's Destination D in 2011, and I'll never forget it. Seeing Alan Menken remains a goal of mine!

It looks like those Stage Passes are pretty useful. Is it hard to get one? How long are the lines to get one?

Thank you for those pictures from the Imagineering pavilion. If I were there, I'd probably spend a lot of time in that area!

Thank you again for your great pictures and live updates!

Robert

D23 Gold Charter Member
Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
Disneyland: 2006 (50th Anniversary), 2007, 2009, Dec 2013
Disney Wonder: 2008, 2009
Disney Dream: 2011
Walt Disney World: Numerous!
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #3036
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Great updates! Looks like you having fun.
Thank you Angela. We are all having a great time at the D23 Expo these first two days which we got to do a lot of screenings and shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great update. Love the food truck and the fact that there were snippets of Planes. I saw the trailers in the cinemas and thought it looked remarkably like a "take-off" of Cars. It certainly didn't inspire me to go see it.
Thank you PiO. The food was really nice that afternoon where you have the options of eating at someplace else then inside the Anaheim Convention Center. We had a fun time watching Planes. You are right that it is a sky version of Cars 1 where it is a racing movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Great update.

I think Planes looks really good but I loved Cars.

Lunch looks delicious.

My Chloe would have flipped over the Kingdom Keepers event. She loves the books.
Thank you Jenny.

Planes is a good movie. Just like you I will enjoy Cars more over Planes.

The food at the food truck was nice and it was nice to have something different instead of the food at the ACC.

I bet your daughter would have a great time at the D23 Expo and I would recommend that you should consider it in 2015. With all the screenings, pavilions, shopping and exhibits, it is a fun event to attend. The only downside is the waiting for screenings, shopping, etc. during the Expo. But it is getting better and better after each Expo with the StagePass where'd you are guarantee a spot for a screening at Stage 23 or 28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2008 View Post
I'm looking at your pictures from the Journey Into Imagineering pavilion while watching D23's Twitter feed from the Richard Sherman / Alan Menken concert. I got to see Richard Sherman perform at WDW at D23's Destination D in 2011, and I'll never forget it. Seeing Alan Menken remains a goal of mine!

It looks like those Stage Passes are pretty useful. Is it hard to get one? How long are the lines to get one?

Thank you for those pictures from the Imagineering pavilion. If I were there, I'd probably spend a lot of time in that area!

Thank you again for your great pictures and live updates!

Robert
Journey Into Imagineering pavilion is a great pavilion that they added for this years D23 Expo. It is completely different then the last two Parks and Resorts pavilion and this one is a great success where the lines have been long from morning to night. We got to see the Richard M. Sherman and Alan Menken: Te Disney Songbook event last might and it was amazing. The event went one hour over its scheduled time where we didn't get out until 9pm last night. Richard and Alan singing all the classic songs from the movies and attractions was a real treat. That is neat that you got to see Richard perform at Destination D at WDW. I hope you get to seeAlan Menken one day.

The StagePass are very useful this year where it is being used for the first time at the D23 Expo. Getting StagePass aren't that hard to get which they are just like getting a FP at the Disney parks and you come back at the schedule time. But getting the StagePass means a long wait line where if you want to see a specific screening you have to get the StagePass queue for a StagePass. We only used it twice during the trip where we didn't use it yesterday sine we were mostly in the D23 Arena for the Disnry Legends Ceremony and the Sherman/Menken event.

Glad that you are enjoying the pictures from the Expo. This is only the fit was and when I get back to Sacramento, I will upload all the pictures from the trip and yu an see the pictures at my Flickr page.

Your welcome.

I will have a quick update where I left off from Friday.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #3037
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

A quick update while my DA and I are waiting outside to get into the D23Expo for the last day. It is sad that it is the last day for this years Expo and we will be spending much of the day today seeing different screenings. I will write it up later on what we are planning to see but here is a recap on Friday that I left off.

After the Planes screenings and left the D23 Arena, we had some time until we need to head on over to our next screening which was Pixar: Dong Our Homework. We had some time to kill until the screening so we head on over to the Collector Area to see all the different exhibitors stands.

When we got to the area, I ran into Alison (franandaj) in the area. It was nice to see her again sine the last time I had seen her was during the Cars Land preview from last year. My DA and I have a nice talk with her about the Expo and different events that we all did. She and Fran had the Sorcerers package which got them a lot of great benefits during the Expo over the other people. I really wanted to do the Sorcerer package but it does come with a high price. I wasn't willing to do it this year but now after this Expo we might consider it next year. I'll get to that later sine it is all about this trip.

When I talked to her that test, she and Fran saw the Art and Animation: Animation at the Walt Disney Studios went at the D23 Arena while we were I the Dream Store that morning and asked her what we have missed. She told us that Angelina Jolie is playing Malificent in Disney's Malificent which was neat and all ten different movies that are coming up. We told her that we saw the Undiscovered Disneyland screening when she was I the Arena and told her that it was a great screening as well as Tony Baxter getting a window on MS. it was very nice to hear from Alison about the event that we missed that morning as well as the event that we attended.

We talked about the silent auctions at this years Expo and she told me that Fran really wants this Si and Am statue. Alison told me that she will even miss the D23 Legends Ceremony on Saturday in order to get the statues. (Alison - I did see you in the Sorcerer line when the line when we were moving to go into the Arena for the Disney Legends Ceremony and I don't think I saw Fran with you.)

After we parted ways while Alison was looking for Fran, we went over to the showroom floor where they had some of the silent auctions.

Monsters Inc. Ride vehicle

This was by far my favorite the original Matterhorn Mountain Bobsled. I remember the price that Friday at that which the auction was over on Saturday and it was around $12,000.

It was almost the to head on over to Stage 28 on the second floor to see the Pixar: Doing Our Homework screening so we head on over to Stage 28.

When we got to the second floor, we about 40 minutes until the screening started, so we head on over to the other silent auction room which is in the second floor which had other items that re up for bidding.

When we got in the room and looking around, we got to see Alison again and we talked about the different items that were for sale including the Si and Am statue that Fran wants. Here are some pictures of the different times that were up for auction. These are not all the pictures front eh upstairs silent auto. A I will post them later on when we get back.

A Disneyland Parks sign which was one of my favorites at the silent auction upstairs

The construction wall panels that were up during Buena Vista Street construction which had the classic Disney characters.

Toy Story Midway Mania Construction Panels

Tiki Room Collector Pin set during the 50th Anniversary which happened a couple of months ago.

Flo's V8 Cafe sign

Si and Am prop set that Fran wants to get

It was time to head on over to Stage 28 for the Pixar: Doing Out Homework screening which was about to start at 10 minutes. It was a good thing that we had the StagePass so we wouldn't have to wait for hours in a regular standby queue just to see.

We only had to wait about 10 minutes to get into Stage 28 and we got good seating.

The Pixar people that speak during the screening were Katherine Sarafian, Andrew Stanton, Lindsey Collins, Denise Ream, Jonas Rivera and Pete Docter talking about the researching of traveling the globe to make the movie scenes. I will get the details later on.

After Pixar: Doing Our Homework, it was almost time when they D23 Arena was going to close at 7pm. We tried t head on over to the Mickeys of Glendale store or Dream Store to buy last second items, but they weren't let any other people enter rather lines. So we decided to head on out of the D23 Expo since it is about to close.

So my DA and I head out of the ACC and back to our room at BW Stovall's.

We got back to Stovall's around 7:30pm and we had dinner at Marri's pizza parlor which is close to the hotel. It was nice for a change to have dinner in the room instead of eating at the park or restaurant.

When we had pizza for dinner and we finished around 8:30pm, I decided to head on over to DL that night to watch Magical fireworks at 9:30pm. Originally I wasn't even planning on going to the parks sine we just got back from the Expo that night but I just cant stay away from DL.

I just took my DSLR and tripod to get firework trails of Magical where I haven't done firework trails for quite some time.

I got to DL around 9:10pm that night with 20 minutes to go until Magical started. I was in between the Coke Corner and the PhotoPass building on Main Street. This was she closest I could get on MS sine there were a lot of people around the Hub. So this was a decent spot to watch Magical that night. Here are some pics of the firework trails of Magical on Friday night.

This is a start until when I get back and will show more of the firework trails of Magical.

After it was over, I left the park and got back to BW Stovall's. called it for the night and this concludes the quick update on the first day at the D23 Expo.

I will have more later on during the day.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #3038
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

What an eventful day! I told Crap we had to go next year. He started looking into it and said it looked boring. Maybe, I will go alone while he takes the boys to the parks. What he considers boring, I think I will find fun. It is also cool that you had more DISmeets.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #3039
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

What a fun looking day! I smiled when I saw the great firework pictures. I would have had a hard time not going to DL too.

It was nice to see all the auction items. It's nice to dream about having that Disneyland Parks sign in my basement. More money than I could spend I'm sure

Thanks for sharing!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #3040
PrincessInOz
in

Nice firework trails, Bret!

Love the pictures of the stuff for auction. Si and Am are cute but if I had the space (and the money$$$), I think I'd go with the bobsleigh myself.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #3041
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
What an eventful day! I told Crap we had to go next year. He started looking into it and said it looked boring. Maybe, I will go alone while he takes the boys to the parks. What he considers boring, I think I will find fun. It is also cool that you had more DISmeets.
It was a great first day at the Expo with all the different seminars, shopping and the pavilions that we have done that day. during that whole first day was the shopping, seminars and the Journey Into Imagineering pavilion. I am crossing my fingers that you and your family will come to the 2015 D23 Expo. If you decide to go to the next D23 Expo, your family can enjoy the parks while you get to enjoy the Expo and maybe I will get to meet you in person. DISmeets have been fun these last few years where I get to meet other DISers and they are all amazing to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
What a fun looking day! I smiled when I saw the great firework pictures. I would have had a hard time not going to DL too.

It was nice to see all the auction items. It's nice to dream about having that Disneyland Parks sign in my basement. More money than I could spend I'm sure

Thanks for sharing!
It was a fun first day at the Expo. I got to go in the park later that Friday night to watch Magical fireworks and I had a decent spot with about 20 minutes to go at 9:30pm. The firework trails looked very nice. It was very difficult to go to DL after the Expo when we had to get up first thing in the morning to line up for the Expo.

Those silent auction items are really nice to see and I would love to own a few of them. The Disneyland Parks sign was by far my favorite at the upstairs silent auction. I can see it up on the wall and light up when I have friends over in the game room.

Thank you TK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice firework trails, Bret!

Love the pictures of the stuff for auction. Si and Am are cute but if I had the space (and the money$$$), I think I'd go with the bobsleigh myself.
Thank you PiO. The firework pictures turned very nice without the Neutral Density Lens which I haven't used that night. The next time when I watched Magical during the trip was on Sunday and I was able to used the Neutral Density Lens and some of them turned out well. This will take some time when I upload all the pictures during the trip. I looked at the total of all the pictures that I have took during the trip and it was over 2200.

It was nice to see all the different silent auction items at the Expo. Si and Am were very neat and they went for a lot. I talked to Alison on Friday about the prop set of Si and Am that Fran really wanted that badly for their new house. I believed that they went for over $10,000 which was a lot of money.

The original bobsled are very nice to own and I wish they are still at DL over the new bobsleds.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #3042
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Before I do my updates from the D23 Expo this past weekend, I will show you more pictures from Saturday.

On Saturday morning, I started lining up in the D23 Members queue to go shopping at the Mickey's of Glendale store which I didn't get to do on Friday while my DA went in the D23 Arena queue for the "Let the Adventures Begin: Live Action at the Walt Disney Studios" seminar.

I was able to go in the store and do some shopping which I spent about 1 hour in the store looking and going over all the stuff that I wanted to buy. There was a long wait line to get into the Mickey's of Glendale store so I had to be cautious of what to buy since I might not want to wait a long time to get back in the store.

Mickey's of Glendale sign

A lot of different merchandise in the Mickey's of Glendale Store

I will have more tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #3043
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I like the I'm with the band shirt. Hope you got that one.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #3044
PrincessInOz
in

That's a cute Band shirt! Love it. Hope you got one.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #3045
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

There were a couple of really cute t-shirts there. Wow! To me that is the ultimate shopping trip.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: