Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #2716
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
You're welcome, Bret! There's no need to thank me, but I am very glad that your group had a good time at the Goofy's Kitchen breakfast! The pictures are great! I would have felt terrible if you had taken a chance on eating there (based on my recommendation) and everyone hated it! Thankfully it was a success.

It's a shame that those other characters didn't make it to your table! It sounds as if they must have been working one side of the restaurant while the characters that you all met were on your side of the restaurant.

I think it's great that you guys had a good time despite some of the characters not coming to your table. I can guarantee that some other folks would have probably said they had an awful time at Goofy's if even one character missed their table, let alone a few. Sometimes the negative reviews are so extreme or so harsh that it almost doesn't even sound like the same restaurant that I have been going to for so long. I begin to wonder if I just have really horrible taste in character meals, or if the character meals just have really good days and really bad days!

(Oh, and that last round of fireworks photos was spectacular, as always - in fact, they seem to keep getting better and better with every trip you take!)
Thank you Sherry. We all had a great time at Goofy's Kitchen breakfast. It was a good thing that I talked about it with you and checked out the Character Super Thread that made my decision a lot easier. All of the pictures were very nice and I should have gotten in some of those pictures that morning. But it was all about them. My aunt and I have talked about it and read all the different reviews about GK and the other character breakfast's at the DLR and GK was the best choice in her mind since it has more of a food selection and have a lot of different characters that will be coming to the tables. It was a success and everyone enjoyed it.

It was but it wasn't the Disney character that DD2 wanted to meet which was Cinderella. It was a long shot and hoped that she was there that morning. I would have guessed that she was at Ariel's Grotto where all the princesses are at that morning. I believe you know where we were sitting that morning. We were on the 2nd level right close to the entrance when you enter the dining area and we were close to the buffet area which was nice. It would have been nice if we were in the back area of the restaurant where most of the characters were at.

I would say the same thing that some guests would not have a great time at GK. As you know that there are some guests write harsh words on their experience at the restaurants that the food was not that good, service, etc. But as you know that you have to experience it yourself and see if it is a great experience or not. I mostly don't want to read the reviews and hear bad things about it so I won't have to eat there. But for people like you and the other DISers on the boards make the decision easily since everyone here is so kind. It would have been nice if the characters came to our table and interact with them but that is part of it and we enjoyed the food and atmosphere of eating at GK that day.

Thank you. The firework pictures are getting better and better with every trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Looks like DD2 had some great Character meets and so glad that Goofy's kitchen was a hit. We had a great time there when we went! So glad you got so many awesome photos!
DD2 was having fun with the characters at GK. We were all glad that GK was a great experience for all of them. My aunt was happy with all the different choices to eat while DBF and DD2 were having fun interacting with the characters and I was enjoying the atmosphere and food at GK. Thank you Alison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Those pictures of DD2 with Mickey and the other characters are just darling. What a lovely surprise for her with her step-sister coming to visit. Just such gorgeous memories through your pictures.
DD2 was so excited to meet Mickey that morning just before the park officially opened at 8am. A lot of the good pictures with her smiling is with her step-sister and that was nice of her to come and be with us during the trip. This trip for my aunt, her DBF and DD2 just got a lot better with her joining us.

The next post will be up shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #2717
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 3

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 3

On our last update, we just had breakfast at Goofyís Kitchen. It was a nice surprise for DD2 to be able to meet some different Disney characters when we had breakfast that morning. It was enjoyable to eat at GK since I havenít ate at that restaurant in a very long time. It was worth every penny for that breakfast while my aunt and her DBF had a great time. We also met up with my aunt DBF step daughter Kay who lives in SoCal and met up with us after breakfast. DD2 was so excited to see Kay at the DLR. We head on over towards Disney California Adventure to get FPís for World of Color and we were lucky to get the blue section for the 8pm show. Now we are back at the esplanade after getting the FPís. Now we will see what we have done that afternoon with everyone here.

After we got the ECV, they all wanted to head on over to DL to do some other rides. So we head on over to the DL turnstiles. It was a little busy to get through the turnstiles at DL. DD2 was being pushed in the stroller by Kay while my aunt was using the ECV while I was talking with my aunt DBF about what we should do later that day.

When we entered DL, DBF wanted to get a picture of her and her step daughter a picture at the MS station even though the MS station was covered up during the construction. This was a very nice picture of them together at the MS station.

The E.P. Ripley Engine #2 with the Excursion car set passing by the MS station which you barely see too often when the train passed by the station without stopping.

Just when we were about to head on over to MS, DBF mentioned to us that DD2 wanted to see Dinsey Junior-Live on Stage at DCA. I looked at the time schedule and see that there was a show about to happen. So we head on out of DL and back on over to DCA to go see the Disney Junior-Live Stage!.

We left DL and back towards the esplanade while heading on over to DL.

We were now back at DCA and we head on over to Hollywood Land to make the 12:30pm show. It was cutting it close since we just got in the park.

When we got to the Disney Junior-Live on Stage! area, there was a long queue to get in and luckily we made it just in time to make the 12:30pm show. This was another show that I havenít see in a long time and it was nice to see the show. DD2 have been watching Little Einsteins a lot and she was really enjoying the show. Most of us were just relaxing while DD2 with Kay are enjoying the show. It was a very nice show for the little kids while my aunt was resting a little bit while we were on the benches on the sides.

After the show was over and we got the ECV and stroller, DBF wanted to ride Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue since she is a big fan of Monsters Inc. So this was our next ride while we were in Hollywood Land. The day was not that bad while it was getting a little busy around Hollywood Land.

Just when we were about to head on over to Monsterís Inc, DBF saw the Schmoozies quick snack stand where they sell smoothies. Her DH call her Scmoozies a lot when they are home and she had to get a picture in front of the stand.

We head on over to Monsterís Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue and we parked the stroller while my aunt rode the ECV in towards the queue. This was the first time during the trip that she brought the ECV through the queue. The wait time was only 5 minutes that afternoon which was the right time for this ride. It is so surprising to see that this ride does not get a lot of people like the other rides at DCA.

Following behind everyone while we were in the queue of Monsterís Inc.

Kay and DD2 waiting in the queue

When we got to the loading zone, my aunt got out of the ECV and they moved it to the end of exit area so it would be ready for us to use it. Luckily the ride vehicle for Monsterís Inc. have three rows so we were able to ride in one vehicle together. I was in the back while DD2 and DBF were in the front while Kay and my aunt were together in the middle. I took a few picture during the ride and seeing how these pictures turned out. I didnít take a lot of pictures during the ride as I have thought since I was enjoying the ride as well as the others even though I have been on this ride a lot of times.

The ride was over and we got the ECV right at the exit and DBF was so excited to go through Monsters Inc. that she really enjoyed it a lot. After getting the stroller after getting off Monsterís Inc. We head on over to the back side of Hollywood Land over to A Bugís Land. DBF wanted to see Itís Tough to be a Bug and it was on the other side. We didnít go back towards BVS and decided to go through the backside instead.

When we were about to head on over to ABL, we saw the Tower of Terror and DBF wanted to go on ToT. She asked Kay and me to go with her on ToT and we went with her. Unfortunately, DD2 was not tall enough even if she was tall enough there was no way she would gone on the ToT since the ride will scare her. My aunt didnít want to go either so she didnít go on the ride and waited with DD2 until the three of us got back.

It has been a very long time since I have rode the ToT at DCA. I believed the last time I rode it was when it first opened back in 2004. It has been less than 10 years since I have rode the ToT.

The wait time for the ToT was only 13 minutes which seems the right amount of wait time to get on thre ride. When we were through the queue, it took quite a while to get on the ride. We were in the back side of the elevator. When we went through the process of riding ToT, DBF was holding onto Kay arm so tight that she had markings after we got off the ride. I can tell that DBF was scared of riding the ToT by holding onto Kay so tight. She was screaming a lot during the ride while the drops were random. It is so fun to ride the ToT while you donít know how many drops you will get on your ride experience.

When it was over, DBF wanted to get out so quickly. Kay had markings on her arm where DBF hold on her arm so tight on the ToT. When we got out, we had to look at our picture while riding the ToT. I didnít bring my DSLR with me since it was with my aunt and DD2 so I used my iPhone to get the picture and it was nice. Well the picture didnít turn out great but it was fun to rid the ToT after not riding it over the years. As you can tell from my picture that I was not even scared of riding the ToT which looks like I am bored.

After getting off the ToT, DBF was so glad that we were out of the ToT. Kay told my aunt everything about DBF holding on her arm so tight during the ride that she was scared. They even asked me that I didnít even flinched during the ride. We head on over to the backside of ABL and while we were walking some of them had to use the restroom. While they were using the restroom, I was talking with Kay about her a little more and we had a good conversation about her life and having a nice stepmom in DBF.

When we met up we walked on out of the main entrance of ABL. While walking on out, I saw that the Christmas lights in ABL were still up during mid January. This was very interesting to see the Christmas lights still up during mid January when the Holiday season at the DLR is over. But I didnít see the giant ornaments. So the Christmas lights were still up while the ornaments were put away.

When we left ABL, we were now heading on over to Itís Tough to be A Bug so DBF would be able to see this show. She is really a big fan of the Pixar movies like Monsterís Inc. and A Bugís Life.

We got our glasses and were underground to watch ITtbaB. DBF was getting excited while DD2 was a little scared of going underneath. They all tried to encourage her to be a good girl and see the show with everyone.

Everyone in the waiting area were now entering the seating area and we had to be in the back since we have the ECV. During the show, everyone except DD2 was not enjoying the show. She was covering her eyes during the show and got scared from the bugís that were coming down from the ceiling. I thought that she wanted to leave but she was brave enough to stay and watch the show with the rest of us. We were all excited for her to be able to stay and not cry during the show.

We exited the show and now back at DCA to do our next activity. But that will be on the next post and see what we have done later that day at DCA.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #2718
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Seems like a fun day to spend with everyone. Thanks for sharing.

I don't do ToT at all. I chalk it down to having done it for real......I once was in a lift that dropped about 6 - 10 floors before the safety catch took.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #2719
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I don't like the bugs that come down from the ceiling in ITtbaB either! Those spiders! Ick! And I don't like the feeling of the little bugs scurrying past us in the seats at the end of the show. It's creepy!

The 3D glasses on DD2 are so big, they take up half of her face!!

I wonder why the giant Christmas lights were still up in A Bug's Land in January? I hope they're not leaving them up year-round. They should only be up during the holidays. It doesn't seem like it should take too long to remove them.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #2720
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Seems like a fun day to spend with everyone. Thanks for sharing.

I don't do ToT at all. I chalk it down to having done it for real......I once was in a lift that dropped about 6 - 10 floors before the safety catch took.
It was a fun day where we got to do a lot of different activities at DCA that afternoon. Thank you PiO.

I haven't done ToT in a long time at DCA. I know that my DA that goes with me to DL a lot does not like the ToT and it was nice to ride the ToT with my aunt DBF and Kay. 4 floor difference on one drop seems scary even with a safety belt. I believed during our ride experience that there was at least one drop that fell from 4 floor down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I don't like the bugs that come down from the ceiling in ITtbaB either! Those spiders! Ick! And I don't like the feeling of the little bugs scurrying past us in the seats at the end of the show. It's creepy!

The 3D glasses on DD2 are so big, they take up half of her face!!

I wonder why the giant Christmas lights were still up in A Bug's Land in January? I hope they're not leaving them up year-round. They should only be up during the holidays. It doesn't seem like it should take too long to remove them.
DD2 was scared of the bugs coming down from the ceiling. We didn't get the bugs scurry past us in the seats since we were in the handicapped section where we were feel the bugs from our seats as well as the spray of water. The handicapped section is the only area that you will not feel those special effects.

The 3D glasses on DD2 were big and she had to hold on them to watch the show. But she mostly close her eyes during the show.

That was very interesting to see the Christmas lights up at ABL during our trip. The ornaments were gone during our time which was no surprise. But the lights were a surprise and just as you said that they should only be up during the Holiday season at DCA not during mid January after the Holiday season was over after one week. As you know that most of the Holiday decorations at the DLR was taken down except for IASWH which runs through mid January and the snow on SB Castle will be taken down later after taking down the Holiday decorations. It was nice to see the snow on the Castle during our visit.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #2721
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 4

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 4

On our last update, we went back on over to Disney California Adventure to do some shows and rides. We got to watch Disney Junior Live on Stage! and Itís Tough to be A Bug where DD2 and my aunt DBF had a great time watching this show. We were also able to ride Monsters Inc. and the Tower of Terror. My aunt DBF might not ride the ToT in a long time after grabbing onto Kay arm during the ride experience and gave her markings on her arm. Now letís get back to the trip report and see what we have done later that afternoon at DCA.

We just finished watching ITtbaB and while we are around that area, I had to take them on over to Cars Land which is right next to the entrance. I love going to this land ever since it has opened last summer and have I have to go to this land every time I come to the DLR. When we approached CL, all of the Holiday decorations were all taken down at CL. The only things that were still up that were part of the Holiday season at CL were the poles on the other hand side of the street lights. They were eventually taken down later on after we left SoCal and it was amazing to see the decorations during the Holiday season.

We walked down and I told everyone about this new land at DCA. They were all impressed with the whole town which is based on the Movie ďCarsĒ. It wasnít that busy at CL which was nice but most of the rides like Materís Junkyard Jamboree was about a 15 minute wait time. DBF asked me what the type of ride it is and I told her that I was like a tea cup ride. She instantly said no thank you and Iím not riding it.

While walking down Cars Land, they looked at all the different buildings and now some of my party members were getting a little hungry. While we were in the area, I thought about taking them on over to the Cozy Cone Motel to get some snacks. We didnít want to eat a lot since we had breakfast at Goofyís Kitchen that morning. We all ate quite a lot that morning except for Kay who came after the breakfast. So we head on over to the Cozy Cone Motel to have some snacks or semi lunch that day.

Mater was over at the front of the Cozy Cone Motel to get pictures with the guests.

While we were heading on over to the Cozy Cone Motel stands, most of the lines were not that long except for Cozy Cone 3 which is the stand that sells the Chili Cone Queso and Chicken Verde.

My aunt went on over to Cozy Cone 3 to get the Chili Cone Queso while went on over to Cozy Cone 1 to get Churro Bites and I head on over to Cozy Cone 4 to get the Pretzel Bites. DBF and DD2 went to Cozy Cone 2 to get a Soft Serve Ice Cream. They got their ice cream first so they went to find a table but the seats around the Cozy Cone Motel area were all occupied so we got one right across from Luigiís Flying Tires area. Kay and I didnít have to wait that long to get the Churro Bites and Pretzel Bites while my aunt was still in the Cozy Cone 3 line to get the Chilli Cone Queso.

When we got all the food, we ate at the table. I forgot to take a picture of the food while we were eating. The only thing I have never tired at the Cozy Cone Motel was the Chili Cone Queso. It was really nice where it was just like Chili Cone Carne from a cone and it was nice.

Kay, DD2 and my aunt DBF are having a great time with the food and at Cars Land.

After we finished eating the food at Cars Land, my aunt told us that we should go back to the room and rest up and DD2 needs to get her daily nap. So we throw away all of our garbage and put DD2 back in the stroller and my aunt driving the ECV and we head on out of the park. While we were walking, we were all talking about tonight and what to do.

On the way out of the park, it wasnít as bad as I have thought with the crowd level. It was very nice where there werenít too many people during the off season in mid January. When we were just leaving Cars Land, I told them that we should come back later that night to see the land at night. With all the neon lighting on the buildings at night at CL, this would be a good opportunity to see it after we finish watching WoC.

We just left Cars Land and now entering BVS. It was quite busy at BVS with a lot of people walking in and out of the park. DD2 was sleeping in the stroller while her mom was pushing her and I was talking with my aunt and Kay about the day.

I asked them if they wanted to do a last second shopping at the stores so we wonít have to carry the merchandise later that night. My aunt told us that we will do that later tonight since we still have some stuff that they bought when I got the FPís for World of Color.

A look at Oswaldís store just as we left the park.

We exited DCA and now back at the esplanade. When we head on over to the Wheelchair and ECV Rental area we saw the line to get into Disneyland and it was so long that it was almost towards the support columns. I knew that when we left DCA that there were going to be a lot of people entering the park.

Even the ECV and stroller turnstiles area on the right hand side when you enter the park was crowded as well.

When we dropped off the ECV at the Wheelchair and Stroller area on the right hand side, we head on back towards BWPPI and relax until it was time to go back to the DLR at night and the surprise dinner for DD2. Even Kay doesnít even know that we have reservation for dinner that night.

We walked on back towards BWPPI which takes us about 5-7 minutes to get from the esplanade to the hotel. Glad that we chose the BWPPI as our hotel or my aunt and her DBF would have trouble walking back to another hotel that is longer distance.

For the time that we got back, we just rested while everyone took a nap. It was nice to get a break after being at the resort since 7:30am that morning. As for my old readers that I always try to get a rest time in the middle of the afternoon so I can enjoy the nighttime shows like the fireworks or World of Color. But everyone needs a break and rest up since we will be at the park late that night until 11pm DL closes at that time. DCA will be closing at 10pm that night.

All five of us rested up for about 2 hours at the hotel and now it was time to head on back to the DLR that night. We all packed all of our stuff and I brought all my camera equipment with me including the tripod for World of Color that night. They all wore their jackets and it was going to be a cold night around in the 50s.

We left the hotel around 5pm and it was not dark yet and we had plenty of time to get to our restaurant which we have a 6pm reservation. I am not going to tell you yet of where we are having dinner that night unless you saw my pictures or heard about it before I started the trip report.

When we got back to the esplanade, we head on back towards the Wheelchair and Stroller rental area to pick up the ECV. Over at the DL turnstiles, it was not that long that night while most of the people were in the park or somewhere else.

After my aunt got the ECV, we went on back towards DCA. It didnít take that long to go through the turnstiles at DCA even though they do have additional CMís outside the turnstiles to scan the guests tickets to make sure that they do belongs to that person.

We entered the park and I saw up front that the 5:15pm Pixar Parade was going on. So it was going to take some time to get on over to the restaurant since the parade was going on.

I got a picture of DBF, aunt, Kay and DD2 while we were at BVS

We went on the area around the Carthay Circle Theater and the Pixar Parade was going on. We had to wait at the end of the parade to get to our destination. I thought about going through Condor Flats and through the other side but the parade was going to be in that area when we get to Paradise Pier. So it was not worth going around so we just waited around BVS until the parade was at the end and followed it from the back.

It was quite a wait while we were at BVS and we were all talking until the parade was over. We were around by the information area right across from the CCT until the parade passed by.

Kay gave DD2 a piggy back ride while we were waiting for the parade to pass by. DD2 wanted to see the parade so Kay was nice enough to carry her and let her see the parade until it was at the end.

The parade was at the end and now we were able to walk down the path and head on over to our next destination.

When we were in Paradise Pier, we made a left hand turned and head on over to Paradise Pier.

While walking up on the bridge, everyone was amazed at Paradise Pier at night with Mickeyís Fun Wheel of Doom was all light up that night.

Pacific Wharf on the other side of the bridge and you can see barely the ToT that night.

Thatís it for this post and we will see what restaurant we went to that night at DCA. This was a big surprise for DD2 and Kay that night.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #2722
PrincessInOz
in

Bret - I always enjoy your pictures but this TR is quite different to your normal ones. I really LOVE seeing pictures of your family and friends at DLR. It really adds a more intimate touch to your days. Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #2723
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret - I always enjoy your pictures but this TR is quite different to your normal ones. I really LOVE seeing pictures of your family and friends at DLR. It really adds a more intimate touch to your days. Thanks for sharing.
You are absolutely correct PiO that this was a different trip experience from the previous ones that I have done these last few years. As you know that I mostly go to the parks with my DA or solo (which I haven't done for quite some time). This experience with my aunt, her DBF, DD2 and Kay was a memorable one where DD2 is experience DL for the first time and with her mom, sister in law and my aunt. They all had a great time and as of today DD2 and my aunt DBF are still talking about DL and want to go back. They will tell me later on what days they want to go back. But this time they want to bring her husband and his two boys. It might be until next year if they can work something out or not.

I didn't take too many walking pictures like I do on this trip. Even though I take over 2000 pictures which more than half of them were from WoC and RDCT. This trip I will never forget in a long time where I got to experience it with a young child making her first trip to DL. They were all happy that I came along with them and they told me a lot of times that they wouldn't be able to do all those different activities without me.

The pictures with other people make this trip report so much special. While I have been reading a lot of trip reports from other DISers, I barely do any pictures with people in my group since it is mostly me and my DA. It was nice that I came with them and to make their trip experience even better.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #2724
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 5

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 5

On our last update, we just got back at Disney California Adventure later that night after having fun during the morning and afternoon. All five of us are back at DCA to have dinner which we were surprising DD2 and Kay. We had to follow the Pixar Parade since we needed to head on over to the restaurant at Paradise Pier. Letís get back to the trip report.

We just walk on over towards the bridge heading on over to Paradise Pier. Everyone was excited to see PP at night with Mickeyís Fun Wheel of Doom looks very nice at night. We didnít tell DD2 and Kay where we are going for dinner. But I can tell that Kay knew but DD2 was getting excited.

Before we head on over to the restaurant, I saw that Kay was carrying DD2 and then DBF had told me to get this picture of Kay and DBF kissing DD2 which was very nice.

While we were in the area, we told DD2 and Kay where we are eating and the restaurant that is right by Paradise Pier was Arielís Grotto. DD2 doesnít even know what this restaurant was all about and the four of us knew that this would be a restaurant that she will like a lot since she can meet the Disney Princesses.

My aunt and I have talked about this restaurant with less than a week ago if DBF wanted to treat DD2 with another character dining experience during the trip. They told me that they want to do the Arielís Grotto for dinner so DD2 will be able to meet her favorite Disney princess Cinderella. We did get to meet her on the first day and this one was going to be great as well since she will be walking in the restaurant. I was fortunate that Arielís Grotto had some opening times with a week until the trip. It just shows you that during the off season that you can make a last second reservation and get a time that you want. When I made reservation for Goofyís Kitchen I had to call it on the 60 days time where it gets harder to get later on during the reservation.

This will also be my 2nd time eating at AG. The last time I have eaten at AG was during World of Color debut during the summer of 2010. It was exciting for me to eat at AG after 2 1/2 years. It was sad that they donít offer the WoC dining package at AG. This will be a fun time for me as well of eating at AG and see all the different princesses.

We walked inside Arielís Grotto and see that there were quite a number of families waiting to get in. Luckily I had my reservation time at 6pm and we only had to wait about 5 minutes until we were taken to the bottom of the restaurant.

While walking down, we got to see Ariel greeting the guests. The CMís asked all of us if we wanted to get a picture with Ariel, but I again decided not to get my picture as well as my aunt. I got a picture of DD2, DBF and Kay. When we took the pictures, I saw that DD2 was not smiling with the others and Ariel. I was shocked at first that she wasnít smiling with Ariel. I had two pictures with Ariel when we got in the restaurant and this one was the best one (not really a happy little girl).

We were seated and we were all excited to eat at AG for dinner that night. DBF told DD2 to behave after the bad pictures with Ariel. DD2 wanted to meet Cinderella first but she told her that she had to wait until she shows up. We were all looking at the menu for dinner and we chose different dishes that night and I will get to that shortly.

While we were waiting, the first princess to make her way to our table was Princess Aurora. She greeted DD2 with a big smile and DD2 gave her a big hug. While I was on the outside of our table, I got my camera and took a picture of the two of them. At least DD2 was smiling with Princess Aurora.

When Princess Aurora left our table to meet the next group, Cinderella was now coming to our table and DD2 was so excited to see her again that she was speechless. DD2 talked with Cinderella and I had to get another picture of her with Cinderella.

Cinderella had to move on but DD2 didnít want her to leave. But she had to go to the next table to meet the next group. She was a little sad but we told her that we will see her again later on during the trip. The next princess that approached our table was Belle. DD2 started to feel better when she saw Belle. She was excited to meet Belle after Cinderella.

After Belle met DD2, our appetizer was brought to our table. It was a chilled antipasti tower. The top plate had shrimp and lobster salad, prosciutto, dried fruit pieces, manchego cheese and chefís blend of marinated olives. The middle plate had fresh fruit, baby carrots, celery sticks, string cheese and ďjewels of the SeaĒ fruit gelatin. The bottom plate had mixed greens salad served with Arielís Grotto house vinaigrette.

After we dig in through the antipasti tower, Snow White showed up at our table and DD2 went on over to Snow White and gave her a hug. So I got out of my seat and I took a picture of the two of them.

Snow White moved on and we were eating from the antipasti tower. I remember the antipasti tower that I had with my DA during the WoC dining experience. It was different from the one that I had in 2010 and it was so appetizing.

While we were eating, I took a few pictures of the light displays at the restaurant which were very neat to look at while we were waiting for our entrees.

The wall dťcor

Finally our entrees made it way to our table and like I do a lot when I am at sit down restaurants, I took some pictures of the food that we had that night. We all chose something different so we all shared with each other.

I had the Santa Maria-style Tri-tip served with Cheddar-herb mash potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Kay who was sitting right next to me had the Herb-Crusted Chicken Breast with cheddar-herb mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

My aunt had the Cioppino which ad a lobster tail, scallops, sustainable fish, green-lip mussels, shrimp and Bilbao Chorizo in a Fire-roasted Tomato Broth.

DBF had the Todayís Sustainable Fish served over wild rice pilaf topped with a sweet & spicy pineapple chutney with a medley of seasonal vegetables.

DD2 had the child dish which was Seasshell Pasta in a velvety cheese sauce and also fresh fruit.

The dish that everyone like the best was the Cioppino. It was nice to try all these different dishes that night which they were all nice. The Tri-tip dish was very nice and I really like the cheddar-herb mash potatoes as my side dish.

When we finished our entrees it was time for dessert and the desert was quite nice display. There was a Lava Cake, Mini Cookies, Assorted Petite Cupcakes, and a White Chocolate Conch Shell of fresh Berries. I really like the Ariel chocolate picture on the lave cake. DD2 went straight to the lava cake while we all tried the different desserts.

DD2 was happy that we had a good dinner at AG and she gave her a nice kiss on the cheek.

DBF was glad that we have done AG for dinner that night. She thanked my aunt and me for making the reservations at AG for dinner. Kay was also glad that we had dinner at AG for DD2 who enjoyed meeting the princesses. For my experience it was a memorable one where I havenít experience AG with the princesses and it was very nice to do it with them.

After finishing the desserts, it was time to head on out of AG and back to do some other things that night. But before we head on out of AG, DBF wanted to get another picture of DD2 with Ariel after the first one was bad. The CMís had no problem letting DD2 get another picture of Ariel and glad that we got to do it again while DD2 was better behave the 2nd time.

After DD2 got another picture with Ariel, we head on out of AG. We got the stroller and ECV and it was already 7:25pm and was almost time for the 8pm WoC show. We were in the restaurant for almost an hour and a half which was quite long and enjoyable. So we had to head over to Paradise Pier park right across from the Little Mermaid ride so we can watch the 8pm show of WoC.

While we were heading on over to the viewing area, I had to make a stop at one of the stores to get a Glow with the Show Ears for Kay. This was my treat for all of them since my aunt and DBF have been paying for most of the food and merchandise during our trip. I bought the ears and my aunt told me that she will be paying everything. But this time I was paying for the ears for everyone.

So we head on over to Embarcadero Gifts shop which is right across from the Little Mermaid ride and by the viewing area. So we went on in the store to get some ears for Kay and DD2 was looking at the Little Mermaid merchandise and she found another doll that she wanted. It was a baby Ariel doll which was nice and my aunt bought the baby Ariel for DD2. My aunt and her DBF have been buying a lot of Disney dolls during the trip but I didnít want to say anything to them of how they spend their money.

When we got the merchandise, we head on over to the viewing area to get our spot for WoC. It was around 7:35pm when we got in the viewing area and luckily for us my favorite spot to watch WoC in the blue section in front of the green fire hydrant was not taken. I was so glad that there was no one taking that spot while there were some guests right close to the area. It just shows you that if you want to see the show in a fine spot with little wait time this is the spot to be. I thought that we were going to try the handicapped section since my aunt was using the ECV but the CMís told us that we can park the ECV at that spot which was very nice.

Also the CMís told us since we were all wearing Glow with the Show Ears that we can go to the special viewing section for the guests that are wearing the GwtS Ears. I thought about trying that spot but I donít want to move from my favorite spot. So we decided to stay in the blue section right in front of the green fire hydrant. For the people that have been following my trip reports, this is my favorite spot to watch WoC and we were lucky that no one was in that area.

While we were waiting for WoC, we all got pictures together and some couples picture. I also got in the picture while one of the WoC CMís took a picture of all five of us which is one rare photos while I was in the picture.

Kay and my aunt DBF

Kay, DBF, DD2 and my aunt with the GwtS Ears on. The ears for DD2 were a little big but she really like them.

DD2 looked very nice and warmth with her baby Ariel

DD2 and Kay while sitting on the ECV. With the ECV we had another area that we marked right at the railing in the blue section.

Here is our picture of all five of us together

We were waiting in the blue section until it was time for the 8pm WoC show. We were able to get a fine spot with no one in front of us which is important so everyone is seeing WoC for the first time including Kay who has not seen the show in person yet.

Thatís it for this post and I will have more from Paradise Pier and for the 8pm World of Color show.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #2725
PrincessInOz
in

I had a suspicion that you headed to Ariel's for dinner. Great pictures with the princesses. That's a fantastic collection.....and I love the food porn. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #2726
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Another nice set of pics of your friends and family. The food at AG looks good, I haven't been there since it switched over to a character meal.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #2727
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Great TR so far. As a long time lurker and occasional poster, just wanted to compliment you on fantastic photos. I know last time I asked you way back when, you had a d90? What are you using now, because your low light pics are sharp and detailed. Did you just buy a better lens? Either way, beautiful pictures. And thanks for selling me on the Ariels Grotto, I think I will surprise my daughter and wife and make reservations with out them knowing. Is it extra for the WOC seating?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #2728
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Sounds like a great day was had by all. I'm sure you will close it out properly with WoC!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #2729
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had a suspicion that you headed to Ariel's for dinner. Great pictures with the princesses. That's a fantastic collection.....and I love the food porn. Thanks for sharing.
I knew that you can tell that we were heading on over to Ariel's Grotto for the character dining where it was going to be perfect for DD2. Before we made the reservations with a week to go to the trip, my aunt had second thoughts of doing a character dining at night for DD2. But when we talked about it with her DBF, it was an easy decision for them to have dinner at AG so DD2 can meet the princesses. This was another way to see the princesses so we wouldn't have to spend a lot of time in the queue in the elevated area right by IASW.

The pictures with DD2 and the princesses were good. The only bad one was at the beginning with Ariel where DD2 was not smiling at the camera. At least she did better later on when we did another picture of her with Ariel.

All of the food porn at AG was nice. At least the tri-tip dish that I had was better this time than I had the same thing back in 2010. The food porn at AG looks completely different then from the 2010 experience. Everyone like the Cioppino the most out of all the four main entrees that we had.

Thank you PiO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Another nice set of pics of your friends and family. The food at AG looks good, I haven't been there since it switched over to a character meal.
Thank you Angela. The food was very nice and appetizing. The dining experience is completely different when the World of Color dining experience was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Great TR so far. As a long time lurker and occasional poster, just wanted to compliment you on fantastic photos. I know last time I asked you way back when, you had a d90? What are you using now, because your low light pics are sharp and detailed. Did you just buy a better lens? Either way, beautiful pictures. And thanks for selling me on the Ariels Grotto, I think I will surprise my daughter and wife and make reservations with out them knowing. Is it extra for the WOC seating?
Thank you Mark. This was a fun trip report where I got to experience it with my aunt, her DBF and DD2. They all had a great time and glad that we did this trip in mid January. This was the only time that my aunt DBF can get off work and it was during the slow season where it wasn't that crowded as I have originally thought.

I did tell you a while ago that had a DSLR. It wasn't the D90 it was the D60. In 2011, I sold my D60 and upgraded to the D5100. I was so excited to buy the D5100 and the pictures were even better with this camera. Nikon just released the new D5200 and I might consider getting that one or the Nikon D7100. Just got to wait until the price drops since they are quite high. I also bought a Nikkor 35mm lens for my camera and it is for the dark rides and nighttime shows.

Glad that you will doing AG for your wife and daughter. I bet that your daughter will be happy to have dinner at AG during your trip. My aunt, her DBF and I were glad that dining at AG was a great success for DD2 and Kay. AG does not do the World of Color dining experience anymore ever since the Carthay Circle Restaurant have opened. The only way to do the WoC dining experience is at the Carthay Circle Restaurant and the Wine Country Trattoria restaurant. You can look on this site: WoC Reserved Viewing (Dining Package) at Carthay Circle Restaurant or Wine Country Tratorria which will tell you everything about the dining package for WoC. It doesn't say about the CCR but I was told by the CM when I ate at that restaurant during my November trip is that each person must order one entree and either one appetizer or one dessert to get the WoC reserved Viewing pass. The value was something close to over $40 a person to get a WoC reserved Viewing pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Sounds like a great day was had by all. I'm sure you will close it out properly with WoC!
It was a great day and glad that everyone had a great time at the DLR. You will wait and see if we finished with WoC or something else that night on these upcoming posts later on.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #2730
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 6

Day 2 Ė January 13, 2013 Ė Part 6

On our last update, we had dinner at Arielís Grotto where we surprised DD2 and Kay. DD2 didnít know about this nor did Kay where we had dinner that night at AG. At the beginning when we entered AG, she did a good picture with Ariel. But when we were seated she was happy to be here and meet all the different princesses that night. It was also fun to have dinner that night where I havenít eaten at AG since 2010. After we finished dinner, we were able to get my usual spot for the 8pm World of Color show in front of the blue fire hydrant. I was glad that we were able to get my spot with 30 minutes to go till the show started.

All five of us are now ready and to watch the 8pm World of Color show at my favorite spot in the blue section right in front of the green fire hydrant. I was glad that the spot wasnít taken and everyone was getting excited to see WoC. We could have gone in the Glow with the Show Ears area for World of Color since everyone in our group had the ears but I like our spot since I knew there would be some people already in that area and got a spot.

My aunt was sitting in the ECV while I was behind her videotaping the show. She had DD2 in her lap so she would be able to see the show and my aunt DBF and Kay were on the railings to see the show. I used my video camera on the tripod to tape the show for them and I had DSLR camera in my hand so I can take pictures. We had our GwtS Ears on all synch up together and I told them that these ears interact with the show and told them to look at the other guests with the ears to see how the ears synch with the color during each scene.

For the past readers on my trip report, you have seen a lot of pictures from World of Color that I have taken. World of Color is one of my favorite nighttime shows when I visit any Disney park. Ever since it debut in 2010, I have seen this show over fifteen times and counting and they have all been fun to see every night at Paradise Pier. The show is mostly the same with a few new additions to the show over the past years. I wrote on my WDW trip report when my aunt and I saw Illuminations at EPCOT with our family members and I still say this to this day ever since I have seen World of Color. Which show is better? World of Color or Illuminations as the best water nighttime show I have ever seen? I still have trouble of what show I really like the most. I love seeing World of Color with the color fountains and projected images on the water screen. I like seeing Illuminations with the fireworks and the LCD globe spinning in the center of World Showcase Lagoon. This is a difficult decision over these last few years with these two amazing shows.

Here are pictures from World of Color on Sunday night. I used the 18-55mm lens instead of the 35mm lens since I can zoom in with that lens. For the setting that I have used that night was the exposure at 1/40, aperture at f/5.3 and the ISO at 1600. I used the local length at different positions during the show.

As when the show started, my aunt, her DBF, Kay and DD2 were all amazed at the beginning of the show and knew that this was going to be a great show to watch. I didnít want to show them any video of WoC before our trip but my aunt told me to show a little clip of it to her DBF and DD2 to see what the show was all about.

The quote from Walt Disney which says ďEvery child is blessed with a vivid imaginationĒ

The Little Mermaid portion of the show while singing ďPart of Your WorldĒ

Thatís it for this post and I will have more from World of Color from that night.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: