Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #2551
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Excellent shots, Bret. I love the firework trails you got....and yes, it can be hit and miss unless you time the shutter with the start of the rocket going off. Some people claim they line up when they open the shutter with when they can hear the rocket 'boom'. I don't know that I've ever done that!

I just wondered what you thought of the castle in your firework trail shots. Do you like how it looks?
Thank you PiO. It is if you don't get the timing right on the shots. I could have done it a lot better but overall it was good. I have watched Believe a lot of times and I know each part of where the fireworks will launched during the show. It depends on the shutter speed of what settings I set it at. Most of them were set at 3 to 5 seconds and I am thinking of extending the time when I watch RDCT next month.

The castle in the firework trails shots turned out really well where the castle wasn't that blurry and that I was hoping for the most when I took pictures. But when I look at the firework trails, they were not as bright. I was going to ask you of what do you think of the brightness of the firework trails?

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #2552
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 9

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 9

I left off watching “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks that Friday night. I always like to watch Believe fireworks during the Holiday season at DL and it has never disappointed me one bit when I see this firework show. I was using my DSLR camera to get the firework trail pictures instead of using my video camera for the fireworks. Believe was almost over so let’s get back to the pictures of the firework trails at DL.

I also forgot to say that when I was watching Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks, I brought my Glow with the Show Ears during the fireworks since they do interact with the show which was really neat. Just like WoC where the Glow with the Show Ears interacts with the show from each different scene, the ears interacts with each part of the show with light blue, green and red colors for the Holiday season. They also did one for F! during the summertime and I was thinking of going to the show and see them work during the show. But there was no way I would make it for the first show since the fireworks will be done just before the 9pm show starts. I was thinking of seeing the 2nd show of F! at 10:15pm.

Continue of the firework pictures from Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks.

Believe was over and it was time to move on over to the next destination at DL.

After the fireworks was over around 9pm, it was time for the 1st show of F! at the RoA. Mostly the fireworks at DL starts at 9:30pm after the 1st show of F!. Since it is fall/winter season, the fireworks start a little early since it is darker than the Spring/Summertime. So seeing F! at the 9pm time was no option. But I did want to use my time wisely that night by getting some nighttime pictures of the Holiday decorations at DL so I went around that night to take pictures.

I packed all my equipment, I head on over to IASW Plaza to get some pictures of the Holiday decorations. When I got to IASW Plaza, I had to get pictures of the IASW Wreaths which were very colorful. These wreaths were here last year and some of them were a little different while some of them are the same like last year.

As always at IASW the Holiday lights are up for IASWH which is the best time of the year to visit this attraction. Not only for the lights but I do enjoy the Santa hat on the smiling face that rock back and forth to a ticking sound. While I was around IASWH, I took a few pictures from different angles. I thought about riding IASWH while I was in the area, but the queue was close to 20 minute wait which was not that long that night. So I decided to go on IASWH later during that trip.

There are a lot of people heading on over to IASWH after the fireworks was over a while ago.

While I was looking at IASWH, one of the DLRR trains stopped in front of IASWH. With no passengers on the train, I knew that it was going back to the roundhouse in the backstage area where the trains and monorails are stored during the closing times.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from IASWH.

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #2553
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you PiO. It is if you don't get the timing right on the shots. I could have done it a lot better but overall it was good. I have watched Believe a lot of times and I know each part of where the fireworks will launched during the show. It depends on the shutter speed of what settings I set it at. Most of them were set at 3 to 5 seconds and I am thinking of extending the time when I watch RDCT next month.

The castle in the firework trails shots turned out really well where the castle wasn't that blurry and that I was hoping for the most when I took pictures. But when I look at the firework trails, they were not as bright. I was going to ask you of what do you think of the brightness of the firework trails?
Bret - You do realise that I'm not claiming to be an expert, right? And yes...you do have some great shots from this night.

Personally, for me and what I like to see, I prefer to see the castle lit up a little more. But that's me...... I don't think that there is a right or wrong for this....just personal preference.

If you want to capture more light in your shots - and I haven't checked the exif data for the ones in the last post - and assuming if you had your settings on ISO200 and f/16 like you did for the pictures in the first posting, you might want to change it up a little for the next time.

You could either take the f-stop down to f/11 or towards f/8 or take the ISO to 400. Alternatively, stick with the existing settings but leave the shutter open for 5 or 6 seconds and see how it exposes.

Remember some of it might be lucky timing.

Did you have a filter on your lens?

So that last time I took fireworks at a Disney park was at Hong Kong earlier this year. I was shooting these with an ND-2 filter.

ISO 100, f/11, 10 secs

But check out the picture before....with exactly the same settings.

For me, I thought that the trails were a little over exposed in the second shot.

The one that I love best from this night is...despite the fact that I have that fruit bat of an i-pad in the way. Believe it or not, the exposure time is longer. It is a 13-second exposure shot.

The difference in the 3 pictures comes down to what the fireworks are doing and how bright they are. It makes a huge difference with the light hitting the sensor. And a degree of luck as to when I hit the button to take the shot. You can see this in your set.....the ones towards the end, the castle is brighter. I don't know if this is because you changed the settings or if there was just more light from the fireworks.

I also checked my second night shooting. The settings I had on the second night are closer to what you've used.

ISO 200, f/14, 8 secs

I didn't have enough time to check the castle metering on the second night and I'm not sure that I like the castle lighting; but I do prefer the firework trail colours from this night. I may start with ISO 400, f/14 next time and see what the castle looks like.

Remember - my preference is to have the castle a little brighter in my pictures. So, when I set up, I make sure that I meter off the castle and check that I like how the castle is looking. I then take down the settings a notch; usually by shifting the f-stop down one or two. The reason I do that is because I expect the firework lights to provide additional lighting. But I do check my pictures in-camera after one or two shots just to make sure that I'm happy with the how it looks and then adjust my settings from there. I am so envious that you have the opportunity to go to DLR as often as you to and practise shooting with different settings.

I would recommend that you look at your pictures and work out what you like; check the exif and then work out different settings from there.

Hope this helps!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #2554
PrincessInOz
in

I just realised we posted almost at the same time....

Love your latest update. The shots of IaSW are gorgeous. I just love the colour you got!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #2555
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I know that you are no expert but you do provide a lot of great info on taking pictures with a DSLR camera.

I do appreciate the tips on picture taking with the fireworks and the dark rides. The next time when I take the pictures, I will use the 18-55mm lens and set the f-stop at f/8 or f/11 and the ISO at 400. I did leave the shutter speed only at 3 or 5 seconds the last time and I will leave it open a little longer.

I did use the ND filter for the firework shot last month with the 35mm lens.

Your pictures from your HKDL are very nice when I checked out your TR.

Thank you for the tips PiO.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #2556
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

I just wanted to let you know I'm still here! Those IASWH nighttime photos are phenomenal - so crisp and clear. They're probably the best ones I've seen from this year's holiday season so far, from anyone's camera. And the fireworks shots that you've posted in previous installments are simply awesome.

Actually, there have been several photos you've posted in recent installments to this TR that have caught my eye, but I wanted to have time to be able to go through the TR and properly offer specific comments on them instead of just popping in and saying an occasional, "Great photos!"

So it may take me a while to actually find the time to go through and pick out the particular shots I really liked and comment on them, but I wanted to be sure you knew that your efforts are definitely not going unnoticed!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #2557
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
I know that you are no expert but you do provide a lot of great info on taking pictures with a DSLR camera.

I do appreciate the tips on picture taking with the fireworks and the dark rides. The next time when I take the pictures, I will use the 18-55mm lens and set the f-stop at f/8 or f/11 and the ISO at 400. I did leave the shutter speed only at 3 or 5 seconds the last time and I will leave it open a little longer.

I did use the ND filter for the firework shot last month with the 35mm lens.

Your pictures from your HKDL are very nice when I checked out your TR.

Thank you for the tips PiO.
Thanks Bret.

I would try:
ISO 400, f/14 or 16.
ISO 100, f/8 - 100.

Hopefully, with the shutter speed at about 4 - 10 seconds, you'll get some even better trails than what you're currently getting.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #2558
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

Can you direct me to the exact Page # and Post # where this November 2012 TR begins? I had to start the new Christmas Superthread (only because the previous one was about to hit Page 250 - but I would have preferred to keep the existing thread going just until the DLR holiday season ends in 2 weeks), and I am in the process of re-organizing a lot of the information for Page 1.

I have a separate post on the first page of the new thread just for TR links and things like that. I need to add the link to this current TR you're working on.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #2559
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Sherry,

I see that you have started the 3rd Christmas thread and I will be looking forward to the new one.

Here is the first post of Our 2nd Annual Early Holiday Trip to DL in November - 11/16/12 to 11/18/12. The page number is 169 and post number 2528.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #2560
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Here is my link from my 2011 trip to DL during the Holiday season Our Annual Holiday Trip to DL 11/18/12 - 11/20/12

Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #2561
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Thanks! I added both TR links to the new thread!

I think that the Theme Week Countdown of 2013 (which will start in August) will be a lot of fun this time around. It's usually fun anyway, but we have so much new material now, with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, the Jamboree, the ice rink, etc. Normally I would start the Countdown at the end of August, but I think I may have to get it started a couple of weeks earlier than usual.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #2562
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret -

I just wanted to let you know I'm still here! Those IASWH nighttime photos are phenomenal - so crisp and clear. They're probably the best ones I've seen from this year's holiday season so far, from anyone's camera. And the fireworks shots that you've posted in previous installments are simply awesome.

Actually, there have been several photos you've posted in recent installments to this TR that have caught my eye, but I wanted to have time to be able to go through the TR and properly offer specific comments on them instead of just popping in and saying an occasional, "Great photos!"

So it may take me a while to actually find the time to go through and pick out the particular shots I really liked and comment on them, but I wanted to be sure you knew that your efforts are definitely not going unnoticed!
Thank you Sherry. The nighttime photos of IASWH and Believe turned out really well during my trip last month.

I did show some pictures during my trip and wasn't able to put them in the trip report. But I will be able to put them in and share them during my visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Thanks! I added both TR links to the new thread!

I think that the Theme Week Countdown of 2013 (which will start in August) will be a lot of fun this time around. It's usually fun anyway, but we have so much new material now, with Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, the Jamboree, the ice rink, etc. Normally I would start the Countdown at the end of August, but I think I may have to get it started a couple of weeks earlier than usual.
Thank you Sherry.

Next years theme will be a lot of fun with all the new additions to DCA. It will be fun to start it early next year. You might start it early while I am at the D23 Expo in August.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #2563
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks Bret.

I would try:
ISO 400, f/14 or 16.
ISO 100, f/8 - 100.

Hopefully, with the shutter speed at about 4 - 10 seconds, you'll get some even better trails than what you're currently getting.
Thank you for the tip PiO. I will remember to set up those setting while I take pictures of RDCT next month. Just in a few weeks, it will be time for my DL trip. Just 3 weeks away till my trip to DL with my aunt, her BF and her DD2. I am going to make this a trip for the DD2 that she will never forget.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #2564
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 10

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 10

I left off at DL where I was now at IASW Plaza to see IASWH during the Holiday season which is the greatest time of the year to visit this area. IASWH is one of my favorite places to be during the Holiday season with all the Christmas lights on IASW exterior as well as inside the ride. I was in the area taking a lot of different pictures of IASWH from different angles.

I left off at IASW Plaza taking pictures of IASWH from different angles. It was busy that day to go on IASWH, so I didn’t ride it that night even though I would like to ride it during the nighttime. But the line was just way too long and it was just getting busier and busier in the area.

The figures are out so it means the clock will open.

It’s 9:15pm

I started to head on out while the IASWH light up show started. This show is similar to The Magic, The Memories, & You where it show images on IASW façade. This show has been at IASWH for awhile and it is fun to watch when the clock opens at night.

I started to head on out of IASW Plaza and on to my next destination. It was on over to New Orleans Square which also had Holiday decorations. It is another land that I like to go to during the Holiday season at DL. I had to walk through FL and over towards the backside of Frontierland. But the first show of F! was going on so I had to wait awhile until I got over to NOS.

It was getting busy around IASW Plaza

Even walking right by Fantasyland was busy as well when I went through the backside.

I was now in the backside of Frontierland and was right at Big Thunder Ranch where the newest addition to the Holiday season was called Jingle Jungle Jamboree. Since it was nighttime that night, JJJ was closed so I had to come back the next day in order to see JJJ.

When I was close to the RoA, the first show of F! was over and I had to wait like other people right by the Mark Twain loading dock until we are allowed to enter the sitting area right by the RoA.

After waiting for a few minutes, we head on over to the viewing area so people can get a spot for the 2nd show of F!. But since I have seen the show a lot of times, I didn’t have to go on over that area to see it. I head on over to NOS to get pictures of the Holiday decorations. First, I head on over to the Haunted Mansion Holiday to see the outside of the queue.

I then head on over to NOS to get the Holiday pictures. I always like to go to NOS to see the Holiday decorations which are unique and interesting. All the buildings around NOS are decorated with wreaths, garlands, Marti Gras decorations from beads, masks, musical instruments, etc. that relates to New Orleans Holiday.

I was in the alley looking at the decorations.

Now in Court of Angels

When I was right by Club 33, there were the string of lights which hasn’t change from last year. In the past, Sherry and I have been talking about how NOS been toning down on the Holiday decorations at NOS. Originally there were string of lights that were amazing and brighten the alley of NOS right by Club 33 and the Blue Bayou restaurant. A couple of years ago, they were taken down. Than last year they brought the string of lights back but not the ones that we are used to see during the Holiday season.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from NOS with the Holiday decorations.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #2565
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 11

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 11

During the past lost we have left off at New Orleans Square during the Holiday season at DL. I always like to go around NOS during the Holiday season with the Mardi Gras style Holiday decorations which is unique and fun to look at. It makes New Orleans Square a great place to be during the Holiday season at DL. I was walking around the park that night looking at all the decorations while I have visited DCA first thing that day.

I was in the Alley of NOS right by Club 33 and the Blue Bayou Restaurant getting pictures of the Holiday decorations. The decorations this year were similar to the ones last year where some of the buildings had the same decorations while some of them changed. They all had Mardi Gras style decorations which is fun to look at.

There were a lot of garlands on the balconies of the buildings

The big wreath over the alley which is still there every year when you enter the alley of NOS

It is fun to look at the alley with all the decorations

The big Christmas wreath right by the entrance of NOS alley

A look at Santa ornaments on the trees right by Café Orleans

After looking at the decorations around NOS, I head on over towards Frontierland to see the Holiday decorations. There are a few decorations at Frontierland during the Holiday season but there is some decorations that are fun to look at.

It was getting a little busy that night around NOS since the guests are heading on over around the Rivers of America to watch the 10:15pm 2nd show of F!. I thought about watching F! that night but I wanted to use my time to get pictures of the Holiday decorations.

I head on over to Frontierland and to find any Holiday decorations. When I got to Frontierland, the only places that had decorations was the Pioneer Mercantile store, the Golden Horseshoe as well as the Shooting Exposition. I like to go on over to the Pioneer Mercantile store since there is a lot of different Holiday merchandise to get instead of the Emporium.

Shooting Exposition with the Christmas garlands

I went in the Pioneer Mercantile store to look at the Holiday merchandise and there were quite a few selections from the last few years. Some of the Holiday merchandise is new while most of them are the same like the years past. Mostly the ornaments are the same while some of them are new.

The only thing I bought that day was light up Christmas string lights that go over the neck which I have seen other guests wore during that night. I got a couple for my next door neighbor who is a Disney fan. Since I knew that she was going to WDW in December with her husband and mom, I thought that this would be a great gift to get her when they walk through WDW during the Holiday season.

While I was in the store, I had to get a picture of the Christmas tree since I was still doing the Holiday quest.

After leaving the store, I had to get a picture of the window display from the Pioneer Mercantile store with the Holiday merchandise

I then head on over to the Golden Horseshoe to get the Holiday decorations.

After looking around Frontierland for the Holiday decorations, I started to head on back towards MS to get pictures of the Holiday decorations where I have missed when I entered that night. Since I rushed to get to DL for Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks, I didn’t get any pictures of MS while I was walking down.

When I was in Main Street Hub, I saw at the popcorn stand was a new popcorn souvenir bucket of Mickey in a Santa outfit. It was different from the Mickey snowman popcorn bucket the last two years in which Disney didn’t do a new souvenir bucket last year. So I had to get the new Santa Mickey souvenir popcorn bucket. I also knew that my DA would want one too so I got two that day.

You can see the Santa Mickey popcorn bucket which is completely different from the Snowman bucket the last two years. It was $12.00 which was quite expensive for a souvenir popcorn bucket.

It did took quite a while to get the souvenir popcorn buckets at the popcorn stand at MS Hub. I knew that there wasn’t any in NOS since they had the Nightmare Before Christmas casket bucket and some lands didn’t have it except in MS which they had plenty. They did had a lot of buckets already to be sold to the guests and have learned from the past.

I remember in 2010 when I got the Mickey Ghost popcorn bucket during the Halloween season in which they were completely sold out during my trip. There were quite a number of people that were not happy of not getting one of those buckets. Also during this past summer with Cars Land opening at DCA that they didn’t have enough Cozy Cone souvenir cups and Flying Tires hats for the guest. It is very tough when Disney doesn’t have enough merchandise for the guests since they never thought that the merchandise would sell that quickly.

I was happy to get all of my merchandise that night which was the Christmas lights necklace and the Santa Mickey popcorn buckets. Now I am heading down towards MS to get any pictures of the Christmas decorations.

It was quite busy that night with most people at MS walking down to leave the park or staying that night.

MS during the Holiday season looks amazing with the Christmas decorations on the buildings, lamp posts and the garlands over the streets

That’s it for now from this post and I will have more from MS that night.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: