Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #2536
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Those decorations at CL are so cute and so in keeping with the theme. Great job on the pictures as always.

Thanks for sharing.
The decorations at CL are neat and match each theme of each character of the movie.

Thank you PiO.

The next post will be up shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #2537
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 4

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 4

We left off at DCA during the Holiday season at the DLR which is all decorated with Christmas decorations. I was at Cars Land looking at all of the decorations in CL which was amazing and exciting to see. It was a great experience to see the decorations and see it at night which is also amazing. I was walking around looking for all the decorations before I head on to Downtown Disney to have dinner with my DA at the ESPN Zone. While I was in CL and the rest of DCA, I was here to get as much pictures of the Holiday decorations at CL and the Tree, Wreath Quest that Sherry have started a few years ago. It is so fun to do this quest to look for any Holiday decorations.

I left off leaving Flo’s V8 Café looking at the Christmas trees and now going down the streets of Radiator Springs to look for any Holiday decorations. It was semi busy that day at CL which is wasn’t that busy to look at the decorations at CL.

Flo’s V8 Café with air filter garland decorations

A look at Lizzie’s Radiator Springs Curios shop, oh I mean Radiator Winter shop with snow on top of the signs

A Route 66 sign tree

Now was Sally’s Cozy Cone Motel which had cone decorations and they were very interesting to see that most of the decorations had little cones on the big cones for the Holiday decorations.

A look down the street of RS

Star shape cones with lights on them

A look at the Lobby of the Cozy Cone with decorations and Mater is at the meet and greet area

A look at the Cone Stands which had cone garlands

A look at the lobby with so many different decorations including a gingerbread model of the Cozy Cone

More of the Cozy Cone food stands with the cone garlands

After looking at the decorations at the Cozy Cone Motel, I moved on to my next destination at CL which was Sarge’s Surplus Hut

I entered the store and look for any Holiday decorations and there were a few trees which was neat where one of them was a sandbag tree with a siren horn on the top of the tree

Another tree which was an all steel shape tree

A sandbag tree with a star on top of it.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from Cars Land during the Holiday season.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #2538
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I like the decorations at the Cozy Cone section but I think my favourites so far are those at Sarge's Surplus.

Those starbursts on the top of the shop are beautiful!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #2539
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like the decorations at the Cozy Cone section but I think my favourites so far are those at Sarge's Surplus.

Those starbursts on the top of the shop are beautiful!
The Cozy Cone area with the Holiday decorations are amazing. The starbursts at the top of Sarge's Surplus shop was neat.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #2540
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 5

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 5

We left off at DCA during the Holiday season at the DLR which is all decorated with Christmas decorations. I was at Cars Land looking at all of the decorations in CL which was amazing and exciting to see. It was a great experience to see the decorations and see it at night which is also amazing. After looking at most of the buildings at CL with the decorations while I still have some to get before I leave this land and off to DTD for dinner with my DA. I am still looking for more decorations at DCA while I am still in this park. It was a nice night where it hasn’t rained yet and anything is possible.

I just left Sarge’s Surplus Hut and getting any pictures that I have missed around that area. It was getting a little busy that night at CL.

Another tree for the Tree Quest

Across the street was Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree which also has Christmas decorations

The Christmas tree at Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree made out of tires

Tow Mater sign which had a Santa hat and garlands when you enter Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree

Right across was Fillmores Taste-In Fuel which had some Christmas decorations as well

A metal Christmas tree at Fillmore’s with peace sign ornaments as well as an angel car on top of the tree

After looking at all the decorations at all of the buildings at CL, it was time to head on over to see the entrance sign to CL which I wanted to save last. But when I got to that area, it was busy where I wanted to get a picture of “Snowy” the snow car which is right at the entrance of the sign. But it was quite busy around that area so I had no time to get in the queue for a picture so I got a picture while I was passing by him.

When I looked at the CL sign, I was amazed at the letters which showed each different character and buildings with the Holiday decorations which was kind of neat to have in the letters.

I was about to exit CL from and head on over to Paradise Pier, but it was roped off since the Pixar parade was about to happen at 5:30pm, so I went back down Radiator Springs to get some more pictures and head on over to the exit towards Pacific Wharf.

A few more pictures on the way down towards Radiator Springs Racers

Luigi’s Leaning Tower of Tires with the Holiday decorations

Radiator Winter Curios shop

I head on over to the back side of Flo’s V8 Café as well as the other side of Radiator Springs Racers

While passing by Flo’s, there was another tree inside the restaurant which is another tree for the tree quest

A look at RSR and Ornament Valley

Now I head on through the backside of RS and towards Pacific Wharf

That’s it for this post and I will have more from DCA and the Holiday decorations.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2541
PrincessInOz
in

The decorations are great but I keep looking for the snow in your pictures. Thanks Disney....for putting up such fantastic decorations; and thanks Bret for taking the pictures and sharing them.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2542
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I'm finally caught up with your TR, the pics are beautiful. Disney really went to town with their decorations.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #2543
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Great Pictures Bret! I wish I was going to be able to get out there while the decorations are up.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #2544
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The decorations are great but I keep looking for the snow in your pictures. Thanks Disney....for putting up such fantastic decorations; and thanks Bret for taking the pictures and sharing them.
The decorations are amazing during the Holiday season and the Imagineers did a great job at CL & BVS during the Holiday season. There is snow around in MS during the fireworks. Glad that you are enjoying the pictures PiO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm finally caught up with your TR, the pics are beautiful. Disney really went to town with their decorations.
Thank you Angela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Great Pictures Bret! I wish I was going to be able to get out there while the decorations are up.
Thank you Alison. I am surprised that you and Fran haven't gone to the DLR during the Holiday season. I thought that you might consider going during the Candlelight Processional. Hope that you will be able to make a trip during the Holiday season.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #2545
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 6

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 6

I left off just leaving Cars Land after seeing most of the Holiday decorations at each different building at Disney California Adventure. It was amazing to see all the different decorations at CL and now I am heading on out of CL and over to Pacific Wharf over to Paradise Pier to see the Holiday decorations. There are a few decorations at PP during the Holiday season which is fun to see especially the PP Christmas tree.

I just left CL and now in Pacific Wharf looking for any Holiday decorations. The only Holiday decorations at Pacific Wharf are the Christmas light trails.

I went down Ghirardelli to look at the menu to see if they have any peppermint ice cream. They didn’t have it on the menu so I just moved on over back to PP.

When I got over to PP, I head on over to see the Christmas tree and get some pictures. It was a little busy around PP over to the other side of PP.

Over right by Treasures of Paradise was Duffy meet and greet area that has the holiday decorations up.

I got over to the PP Christmas tree and like the last few years it has been the same with all the colorful ornaments that had hidden Mickey ornaments.

Can you find the Hidden Mickey in the tree?

Over at the Mickey meet and greet area right by the PP Christmas tree had a few wreaths for the quest so I had to get some pictures of the wreaths.

It was around 5:30pm and I told my DA that I would meet her at the ESPN Zone for dinner so I head on over to DTD and meet her at the restaurant. For the people who read my previous updates, we were planning on eating at the ESPN Zone for dinner and watch some NBA games that night. So I jettison out of DCA and over to DTD. But I did get a few more pictures on the way out before I left the park.

Passed by Redwood Creek Challenge Trail with garlands at the entrance

I went through the GCH entrance instead of going through the regular entrance at BVS since it would be faster to get out of the park and over to DTD.

When I went through the GCH, I was hoping that there would be any Holiday decorations up just after Thanksgiving. In the past, the tree at the GCH is up after Thanksgiving. I knew that the tree wasn’t up during my visit, the thing that I was hoping for during my visit was that Santa was at the GCH during my visit. I looked for Santa while walking in the GCH and there was no trace of him as well as the Christmas tree in the lobby. The rumor from my friend was not true and I didn’t have high expectations that Santa would be at the GCH. So I walked out of the GCH and now in DTD.

The first Christmas decorations at DTD was the regular trees with the Christmas lights on them. I took a few pictures of them until I head on over to the ESPN Zone to meet up with my DA. Also there were CL character banners on the light poles to promote the new CL and the decorations.

I found a wreath at the Build a Bear store

The Lego store looks amazing with all those Disney characters made out of Legos

When I approached the ESPN Zone restaurant, I was a little early with about 10 minutes to go until my DA arrived. So I went around the area to look at the Christmas Village that was the newest addition to DTD during the Holiday season.

When I looked at the Christmas Village with the ice rink which is where the Christmas tree used to be at DTD. It was a little dull and not that too decorated where there were a few box stands selling Holiday merchandise. I thought that the Christmas Village at DTD would be well decorated and more magical. It was a huge let down in my opinion when I saw the Village. While I was in the area, I also went around too look for any Holiday decorations the Ice Rink.

Right next to the Ice Rink were small trees with Christmas lights on them which didn’t have any decorations

Trees right by the Ice Rink

A look at the stands around the ESPN Zone and the Rainforest Café

Another stand right by the Movie Theater

I looked down towards the Hotel which had some decorations which should be very interesting to see.

Another Christmas tree right by the Ice Rink

When I looked at the ice rink, there were a few people skating in the ice rink including some young girls skating around. All the people had to wear helmets as a safety caution if they fall on the ice rink.

That’s it for this post from DTD and I will have more pictures of the Christmas Village.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #2546
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 7

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 7

I left off at Downtown Disney and about to head on over to the ESPN Zone to have dinner with my DA. We always eat at the ESPN Zone as our favorite restaurant at the DLR since we are big sports fans. We mostly watch the NBA when the season is going on in Fall to the Summertime. I just came from Disney California Adventure looking at all the Holiday decorations before I met up with my DA. But before I head on over to the ESPN Zone, I had a few minutes until I met up with my DA and went around the Christmas Village that was part of the Holiday season at DTD. This is one of the newest additions to DTD during the Holiday season which is not that all great as it was advertised. A lot of the decorations are not all that great and it was on the cheap side. I was disappointed at first when I saw the Christmas Village at DTD.

I just left off right by the ice rink at DTD and I was getting as much pictures as I can of the Holiday decorations before I head on over to the ESPN Zone which was right by the ice rink.

There were some pillars with Holiday decorations right as you enter or leave the Disneyland Hotel

I didn’t go towards the DLH since the Holiday decorations are not up yet until it gets close to Thanksgiving time. I would have like to see the decorations up during my visit but that was not until that time. So I head on back towards DTD and over to the ESPN Zone.

When I was walking down, there was some Holiday/Christmas Village signs right as you enter DTD

More Christmas trees for the Quest which was right by the signs

I head on in towards the ESPN Zone and about to get a table for the two of us but my DA had already gotten their early so she just beat me at making reservations.

We only had to wait awhile to get seated in the restaurant. I mostly don’t get any pictures inside the restaurant since I have been told by the staff that they don’t want any pictures taken inside the restaurant. I always don’t know why they apply that rule while other restaurants at the DLR allow picture taking while being seated.

The two of us had a full course meal at the ESPN Zone for one hour. We had appetizers and entrees during our dinnertime. I had boneless buffalo wings and a bacon cheeseburger while my DA had the BBQ pizza and turkey burger.

After we finished around 7pm, my DA didn’t feel like going in the park, so told me that she will head on back towards the room to rest while I used my time to head on over to DL for “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks that night at 8:45pm. It was less than 2 hours to get a spot for the fireworks in which I take about 2 hours or more for my spot. It was cutting close to the time but I also wanted to get over there to watch Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle show which SB castle will light up with the Holiday decorations.

So the two of us left the restaurant and head on over to our next destinations. We walked together all the way towards the esplanade while I head on over to DL while she walked back towards BWAI.

We split up at the esplanade and I head on over to DL while my DA went back to the room. When I got to the park, it was around 7:30pm and the fireworks started at 8:45pm which I don’t have a lot of time and I expected that the curb side in front of SB castle will be taken. So I walked fast on over to the Hub to get my spot for the fireworks.

I always like to get some pictures while I was walking down MS. It was quite busy around Town Square as I head on over to the Hub.

When I got to the Hub, there were people waiting for the fireworks and I had to be behind some people. I was not happy with my view and hope that there won’t be any people in front of me during the fireworks since I was planning on taking pictures of the firework trails of “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks. I brought my usual equipment which was the DSLR camera, the video camera just in case if I wanted to tape the show instead of taking pictures and my tripod which I use all the time for the nighttime shows.

When I was setting up, the last show of SB Winter Castle show started and it started to snow during the show. A lot of people think that it only snows after the fireworks. But it will snow during SBWC show which will happen around the Hub.

SB during SBWC show

While I was waiting for the fireworks to start at 8:45pm, I took some different pictures with my camera on the settings. Hope these pictures are nice with the different settings that I have tried before the fireworks. Thanks again PiO for all the tips on the firework trails. I will also show pictures of SB with the info of my camera that I have used with my 35mm lens.

I also read on my iPad while I was waiting for the fireworks. Most of the people filled the streets in front of SB Castle with about 30 minutes until it was time for the fireworks. There were some people that were trying to get in the area for the fireworks.

Exposure: 1/60, Aperture: f/1.8, ISO: 400

Exposure: 1/80, Aperture: f/1.8, ISO: 400

Exposure: 1/80, Aperture: f/1.8, ISO: 200

Exposure: 1/80, Aperture: f/1.8, ISO: 1600

Exposure: 1 sec ,Aperture: f/9, ISO: 200

Exposure: 10 sec Aperture: f/16, ISO 200

I just kept playing with the different setting on my camera until it was time for “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks at 8:45pm. Believe is one of my favorite fireworks show at DL. It is an old fireworks show that started in 2000 and it has been playing for the Holiday season ever since then.

Mostly I videotape this show every time I see it, but this time I will be using my tripod for my DSLR to take pictures of the firework trails which is something that I wanted to do ever since the summertime at DL where I have took pictures of the firework trails. I wasn’t able to take pictures of the firework trails at WDW since I got there late and videotaped HalloWishes fireworks during MNSSHP.

When we were told by the CM's to stand up for the fireworks with about 10 minutes until it started, there were some people behind me in the benches were not that happy that the people in front of them had to stand for the fireworks. I already knew that you have to standup for the fireworks since it is for a safety reason so people would not step on anyone during the show unlike F! which has a sitting area.

This time I was able to take pictures of the fireworks trails and hope you enjoy these pictures. The only problem I had with taking pictures that night was that I was really close to the castle and my 35mm lens would not be able to get the whole picture of the fireworks.

Exposure: 5 sec, Aperture: f/16, ISO 200

Exposure: 3 sec, Aperture: f/16, ISO 200

That’s it for this post and I will have more pictures of “Believe… In Holiday Magic” fireworks.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #2547
PrincessInOz
in

Bret - Are you happy with those firework pictures? And was there any reason why you chose that particular ISO and aperture setting?

(I like the colours you got from the castle.)

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #2548
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret - Are you happy with those firework pictures? And was there any reason why you chose that particular ISO and aperture setting?

(I like the colours you got from the castle.)
I like the pictures of the firework trails. Some of them turned out well while some of them didn't turn out that well. Overall it was a good day to take those pictures. I chose the ISO and aperture settings from the a ibook program called "How to Photograph Fireworks" The Complete Guide to Capturing Fireworks Like A Pro and I followed the steps of how to take pictures of the fireworks. Those setting were basics and I wanted to try those settings that night. When I go back next month, I want to try different settings. So I might ask you for help on that.

Thank you PiO.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #2549
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 8

Day 1 – November 16, 2012 – Part 8

I left off watching “Believe…In Holiday Magic” fireworks that Friday night. I always like to watch Believe fireworks during the Holiday season at DL and it has never disappointed me one bit when I see this firework show. I was using my DSLR camera to get the firework trail pictures instead of using my video camera for the fireworks.

Continue of the firework pictures from Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks.

That’s it for this post and I will have more from Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks
Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #2550
PrincessInOz
in

Excellent shots, Bret. I love the firework trails you got....and yes, it can be hit and miss unless you time the shutter with the start of the rocket going off. Some people claim they line up when they open the shutter with when they can hear the rocket 'boom'. I don't know that I've ever done that!

I just wondered what you thought of the castle in your firework trail shots. Do you like how it looks?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: