Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #2416
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 32

We left off at DL where the three of us went after we watch the 9pm WoC. We got to do a lot of rides in the first hour of being in the park which was riding the DLRR, HM and POTC. Now we are heading on over to FL and to go on our next ride. I at first didnít know what ride they wanted to go on, but they did tell me that they want to go on a specific one without telling me. I was kind of surprise to hear from them that they wonít tell me which ride. I will find out shortly, so letís get back to the trip report.

The three of us were around the MS Hub getting some pictures of SB Castle. They wanted to go to FL to go on a ride. I at first didnít know what ride they wanted to go on. I firs thought they wanted to go on PP, but the wait time should be around the 30 minute range. I knew that they didnít want to wait in a long queue for a ride, so that was out of the question, the other rides at FL that are popular and have long queues are Matterhorn (which we did so that ride was out of the question), Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, & Storybook Land Canal Boats.

We walked through the castle and now Fantasyland.

Over in FL, it was not that busy. The rides were about average wait times like I have seen them at night after 10:30pm. PP was around 30 minutes and that was out of the question.

We passed right by King Arthur Carousel and heading in the direction towards SLCB. I was wondering if they wanted to go on the Tea Cups, AiW or SLCB.

We passed through the Tea Cups and AiW which were average wait times except for AiW which had a long line like always.

I had a hunched when we passed by the Tea Cups and AiW of what ride we were going to go on. Then we passed SLCB and I knew what ride they wanted to go on. It was Itís a Small World. I was surprised to hear from them that they wanted to go on IASW as the last ride of the night. It is a fine ride and a classic ride, but I always enjoy IASWH more than the regular one. I canít wait to ride the Holiday version in a couple of months during the Holiday season. So we head on over to IASW plaza and ride IASW.

When we got to IASW plaza, there were barely anyone in the area and it was a walk-on. So we got on IASW in just less than one minute.

Here are pictures from IASW from my DSLR camera with the Nikkor 35mm lens. Some of the pictures turned out fine while some of them are blurry.

Thatís it for this post and I will have more from Itís a Small World.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #2417
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Nice set of pictures from IaSM. You did great with that lens.

And yes...I think I am surprised that your DB and his GF wanted to ride this last.

Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #2418
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice set of pictures from IaSM. You did great with that lens.

And yes...I think I am surprised that your DB and his GF wanted to ride this last.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you PiO. Some of the pictures with the lens worked out really well while some of them turned out bad as well. I still have a lot to learn about taking pictures with my DSLR.

I was surprised to hear that they wanted to ride IASW as the last ride of the night. I thought they would want to try PP, Dumbo, etc. I like IASW, but I really like the Holiday version so much over the regular one.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2419
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 33

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 33

We left off on Itís a Small World where it was a walk-on when the park is about to close at 11pm that Tuesday night. I was surprised at first that my DB and his GF wanted to go on IASW as the last ride of the night while we could have gone on other rides at Fantasyland. I have no problem going on IASW with them since it is a classic ride, but I will always prefer the Holiday version over the regular one every time I ride it. Enough talk, letís get back to the trip report and from IASW.

I left off while the three of us are riding IASW that Tuesday night. It was fun to ride IASW and here are more pictures from IASW.

While we were on the ride, my DB and V were wondering if the Disney AA were part of the original IASW. I told them after the ride that they were added a few years ago during its update. Some people would say that they shouldnít have added the Disney characters to IASW. I am one of those people that didnít like the Disney character additions to the ride.

Thatís it for this post and I will have more from IASW.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #2420
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Thank you PiO. Some of the pictures with the lens worked out really well while some of them turned out bad as well. I still have a lot to learn about taking pictures with my DSLR.

I was surprised to hear that they wanted to ride IASW as the last ride of the night. I thought they would want to try PP, Dumbo, etc. I like IASW, but I really like the Holiday version so much over the regular one.

You are doing great. The first time I took a f/1.8 lens (50 mm, not a 30 mm) to a Disney park was for the October 2010 trip . If you ever have spare time and do wander in there, check out the pictures and compare them against yours. You'll find that you're really really doing great!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #2421
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are doing great. The first time I took a f/1.8 lens (50 mm, not a 30 mm) to a Disney park was for the October 2010 trip . If you ever have spare time and do wander in there, check out the pictures and compare them against yours. You'll find that you're really really doing great!
Thank you PiO. I will have to go over to your trip reports and look at the pictures.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #2422
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 34

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 34

We left off riding Itís a Small World as the last ride of the night for the three of us. It was a nice cruise through IASW that night while there was barely anyone on the ride. As I have said in the last update that I love riding IASW during the Holiday season when it is transform to IASWH. The original one I still like, but I barely ride the regular one during the other parts of the season. I havenít ridden the original one in almost over a year. I can tell that V really enjoyed going through IASW and they were taking pictures with their cameras. They have taken a few pictures when we were going around the park. I didnít mention it too much during the trip report in which I mostly do all the picture taking and where we have been at each place. Now letís get to IASW.

We were in the last scene of IASW which is the finally. Itís always fun to be in the last scene with all the countries all in one at the end.

Now we were back on the outside of IASW

When we got off IASW, it was almost close to 11pm, so we started to head on out of DL and back to the room to call it for the night. This was the first time since my May trip in 2011 where I stayed at the park until closing time. Mostly I get out of the park before the closing time since there will be a lot of people that are exiting the park and going to the stores. This time, I was here with my DB and V while they only had a one day park hopper ticket and want to get the most out of it and they have by staying at the parks until they closed.

My DB and V wanted to do one more thing before we left the park. I had a hunch that it would be shopping at the Emporium or any of the stores in Main Street since they stay open one hour after the park closes. So we started to head on out of the park and over to MS. There were some people in the area around IASW Plaza.

Most of the rides around FL are shut down since the park is now closed.

Now back at the Hub and can see that Astro Orbiter is now closed for the night

We were walking down MS and seeing that most of the guests are now in the area heading on out of the park or doing last second shopping or getting ice cream at Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor.

Carnation Cafť Sign

They wanted to go to the Emporium to do some last second shopping since they didnít want to go back to the World of Disney store since we have been there on Monday. While they are looking for something at the Emporium, I was in the store taking some pictures of the light fixtures inside the store. The very interesting thing about the Emporium and the light fixtures is that there are a lot of different light fixtures inside the store which is very interesting.

We were in the Emporium for a while and they finally came up to me with some clothes that V have found that day. There must have been at least three shirts. They told me that they were for her relatives since she wants to get them something from this trip.

We headed on over to the register and tallied all the stuff that she have bought that night and I believed it was around $100 worth of clothing and other merchandise that night. They bought a lot that night while we were in the Emporium. She handed me the money and I used my AP to help her save about over $20 that day. She was very happy and thanked me for the discount. I always try to help out my group with the discount of my AP.

Today, mostly everyone pays with the credit card instead of cash for almost anything. I am one of those people that I still like to use cash for smaller purchases. I did tell my DB and V in advanced before the trip to have plenty of cash with them if they want to buy merchandise at the store. Luckily they didnít have to use the cash at the restaurants while I have the AP.

When we got the bag of the merchandise, we started to head on out of the park and going back to the room. On the way out, I had to get a couple of more pictures while we were exiting the park. It was nice and quiet around Main Street Town Square. Most of the guests have already left the park and sleeping in the rooms.

When we were about to exit the park, it was already 11:30pm

All the turnstiles at DL were closed and the center gate is opened to let the guests to exit the park.

So we head on out of the park and on back to Best Western Anaheim Inn. We got back to the room around 11:40pm which took about 10 minutes to get from the esplanade to the hotel. We were all glad to get back to the room after a long night at the parks. I was really exhausted and was sweating a lot that night. We took our turns to use the bathroom and I was up for a while until it was around midnight that I finally went to bed. My DB and V stayed up a little bit late that night since they donít have a ticket for tomorrow. So this concludes our day at the park on Tuesday.

We really did quite a lot that Tuesday on August 14th. I got to go to DCA during my Annual Pass Early Entry and I didnít do too much that morning where Radiator Springs Racers was down. I was hoping that RSR would be running that morning and get a quick ride on it before I got in the queue for the RSR FP when I met up with my DB and V. I did spend an hour that morning to get the FP. The three of us got to do a lot of rides at DCA that morning. I got to do my usual rides at DCA which is Mickeyís Fun Wheel or the DISers would call it Mickeyís Fun Wheel of Doom or Terror. Got to ride Toy Story Midway Mania, Goofyís Sky School, Little Mermaid Ride, and a lot of other rides that I can go on. I also got to ride the Red Car Trolley which was one of my objectives during the trip and I do plan on riding all the way to the Tower of Terror during my November trip.

The other thing is that we got to go over to DL and we got to ride the updated Matterhorn Mountain, BTMRR which might be down later next year for refurbishment & Star Tours in the afternoon while we head on over to Cars Land to ride Radiator Springs Racers around noon. They like the ride and it lived up to the hype. My DB compared it to Test Track at EPCOT and it was way better than TT. We also got to eat at Floís V8 Cafť. The food was okay, but it wasnít worth going back to that restaurant in quite some time. While they went back to the room, I did some other things that day by watching Instant Classic and Red Car News Boys shows at DCA. I got to ride the monorail which is something that I always do every time I go to DL.

We ate at Wine Country Trattoria and the food was also good that day. It was great to eat at the WCT since I havenít ate at that restaurant in ages. Also during that day, we got to see CL with the lights turned on and also later that day. We got to see World of Color that night while my DB and V had a great time watching it.

To finish the night, we went to DL to go on a few rides and closed it off with shopping at the Emporium.

Overall we did quite a number of rides, shows and restaurants that day. Itís been a long time since I have stayed at the parks that long during a trip and did quite a lot in such a short time. Now that this day is over, now is the last part of the day which is always the saddest which is Wednesday. I also have my APEE for DL on Wednesday. So I need to get some rest that Tuesday night and have to get to DL first thing in the morning.

Thatís it for this post and I will the next day and see what I did that Wednesday morning.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #2423
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Bret,
You got some really nice pics of DL and Mainstreet at night. I especially like the teacup ride one

You had a busy day. I bet you all slept well that night!

Thanks for sharing.
TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #2424
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
You got some really nice pics of DL and Mainstreet at night. I especially like the teacup ride one

You had a busy day. I bet you all slept well that night!

Thanks for sharing.
TK
Hi TK,

Thank you. The pictures at DL on MS were nice while some of them were blurry. But overall they turned out very nice with the new lens. The tea cup picture was nice.

It was a busy day with so much done in just one day which was crazy. I did slept well that night and was excited to use my APEE at DL the next day. Unfortunately, I won't have an update until next week since I will be gone and doing some business work. I will get back to the trip report asap since I am about less than one month away till my WDW trip.

Thank you for for checking it out.

Also, I might be able to go back to DL in a few months next year. My aunt (not my DA that goes with me to the parks) my dad's sister is considering going to DL in January next year during the off-season. It will be my aunt, her BF and her daughter who is 2 which will be her first time going to DL. She ask me if I am interested in going with them and being their guide. I said that it is a possibility since I have to look at my basketball schedule for January. For now, this is just talk and not reality.

If this do happens and we go in January, it will be exciting to see DL after the Holiday season. I know for a fact that some of the rides will be down after the Holiday season and shorter times. I have done a trip in January back in 2010 when I worked at an Anime show in Bakersfield.

They already asked me a lot of questions of what to do for a 2 year old and what she will like. One thing that she is looking forward to the most is meeting the Disney characters at the park. They also want to do a character breakfast at one of the restaurants. She told me that she wants to meet Minnie. For the character dining restaurants, the one's that might have Minnie are the Plaza Inn Minnie and Friends Breakfast which I have done in the past and I believed the other one is Goofy's Kitchen. Sherry E if you are reading this, have you seen Minnie at GK during your trip from last year? I believed I didn't see any pictures of Minnie at GK during your trip, but I want to make sure 100% if Minnie will be at GK if we dine there. If not, it is most likely that the Plaza Inn Minnie and Friends Breakfast will be the place to have the character breakfast since she wants to see Minnie.

I did look at the Character Meals Super Thread!! on the DL thread and see that Minnie might make an appearance at GK. I want to make sure that it is legit that she will be at GK.

There will be a lot of questions of what to do with a 2 year old since I haven't been with a young child in almost in ages. I was in a group that had a young kid in our group from my trip in June last year and he had a great time of going on a lot of rides. This time will be different with a young child and will be challenging of what rides she will want to go on. We'll wait and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #2425
PrincessInOz
in

Bret - I'm loving your pictures with that lens. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #2426
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

You can also always ask me a question in my own TR or in PM if you want to know something about Goofy's - just in case I don't happen to get to this thread for a few days!

Yes, I saw Minnie at Goofy's this past December - for dinner, though. Not breakfast. She was there when my group had that fiasco of a dinner with all the confusion when we checked in (the fiasco was because of my friends and not because of the restaurant). She is in the pictures. But I don't think she was there at breakfast a few days later. We didn't get any photos of her at breakfast and I don't think I saw her in other areas of the restaurant.

That's how it usually goes for me - at the times I eat breakfast there, which are generally really early, I don't see Minnie at Goofy's Kitchen. She may very well show up a bit later in the brunch shift, though.

However, I kind of have a feeling that Minnie is probably at Goofy's for dinner more than breakfast. She is probably there often for dinner. Since her own breakfast is over and Minnie & Friends does not offer dinner, if people see her at Goofy's for dinner it won't 'spoil the illusion.' If she appears too often at Goofy's Kitchen during breakfast, then it gives people a bit less of a reason to eat at Minnie & Friends. Know what I mean?

So I have a feeling you'd be safe eating dinner at Goofy's and seeing Minnie, not to mention the fact that the adults will have a wide variety of food to choose from.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #2427
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret - I'm loving your pictures with that lens. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you PiO. I did check your pics from the Oct. 2010 trip and they were really nice. I still have a lot to learn of taking pictures with my DSLR camera.

Thank you PiO and I do like your pics from your 2010 trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
You can also always ask me a question in my own TR or in PM if you want to know something about Goofy's - just in case I don't happen to get to this thread for a few days!

Yes, I saw Minnie at Goofy's this past December - for dinner, though. Not breakfast. She was there when my group had that fiasco of a dinner with all the confusion when we checked in (the fiasco was because of my friends and not because of the restaurant). She is in the pictures. But I don't think she was there at breakfast a few days later. We didn't get any photos of her at breakfast and I don't think I saw her in other areas of the restaurant.

That's how it usually goes for me - at the times I eat breakfast there, which are generally really early, I don't see Minnie at Goofy's Kitchen. She may very well show up a bit later in the brunch shift, though.

However, I kind of have a feeling that Minnie is probably at Goofy's for dinner more than breakfast. She is probably there often for dinner. Since her own breakfast is over and Minnie & Friends does not offer dinner, if people see her at Goofy's for dinner it won't 'spoil the illusion.' If she appears too often at Goofy's Kitchen during breakfast, then it gives people a bit less of a reason to eat at Minnie & Friends. Know what I mean?

So I have a feeling you'd be safe eating dinner at Goofy's and seeing Minnie, not to mention the fact that the adults will have a wide variety of food to choose from.
I was about to PM you or write on your TR. But I don't want to hog your trip report and I also wanted to hear from other DISers about their experience at GK or Plaza Inn. But it looks like that no one commented about it except for you and I do appreciate it.

I thought that Minnie was only at GK until dinner time while she is at the Plaza Inn for breakfast. It did make sense at first that she would be at the Plaza Inn during breakfast and later during lunch/dinner at GK.

My aunt told me that her BF daughter wants to meet Minnie and Cinderella during a character breakfast. But I when I read the Character Superthread that Cinderella will only be at Ariel's Grotto and she wasn't too excited about the food selection at AG. So AG is out of the question and the two choices are GK or Plaza Inn. But they want to have breakfast during a character meal. So it might be Plaza Inn or GK during dinner. I will find out until later to see what they want to do. But I do have two more months of planning to decide of what they want to do.

Thank you for your insight about GK Sherry.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #2428
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Thank you PiO. I did check your pics from the Oct. 2010 trip and they were really nice. I still have a lot to learn of taking pictures with my DSLR camera.

Thank you PiO and I do like your pics from your 2010 trip.
Thanks Bret. You're very kind!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2429
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I was about to PM you or write on your TR. But I don't want to hog your trip report and I also wanted to hear from other DISers about their experience at GK or Plaza Inn. But it looks like that no one commented about it except for you and I do appreciate it.

I thought that Minnie was only at GK until dinner time while she is at the Plaza Inn for breakfast. It did make sense at first that she would be at the Plaza Inn during breakfast and later during lunch/dinner at GK.

My aunt told me that her BF daughter wants to meet Minnie and Cinderella during a character breakfast. But I when I read the Character Superthread that Cinderella will only be at Ariel's Grotto and she wasn't too excited about the food selection at AG. So AG is out of the question and the two choices are GK or Plaza Inn. But they want to have breakfast during a character meal. So it might be Plaza Inn or GK during dinner. I will find out until later to see what they want to do. But I do have two more months of planning to decide of what they want to do.

Bret -

It's likely that no one else commented about Goofy's because your quote was, "Sherry E if you are reading this, have you seen Minnie at GK during your trip from last year? I believed I didn't see any pictures of Minnie at GK during your trip, but I want to make sure 100% if Minnie will be at GK if we dine there."

It sounded like you were asking me specifically, and referring to pictures from my trip, in which case I responded and said to be sure to post the question in my own TR or send me a PM, because it's not a guarantee that I am going to come back to this thread every day. I might only be able to pop in every few days.

If you want to know something about Goofy's or Minnie & Friends, you can't be sure that the people who know about them will be following your TR. The best thing to do is just post the questions in the Character Meal Superthread. There are plenty of other people who have eaten there more recently than December too (which is when I was last there).

Anyway, Cinderella was also as my Goofy's Kitchen dinner in December, along with Minnie.

Good luck figuring it all out!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #2430
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:

Bret - I didn't comment because I thought you were directing this to Sherry. In any event, I haven't done a character meal at DLR in YEARS! Lately, I've just been doing flying visits to DLR and doing the park in one or two days..and going commando. Not really enough time to add a character meal to it. (*hangs head in shame*)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: