Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #2371
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great pictures of WOC! Looks like you got your spot. I like the Glow with the Show ears
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #2372
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice teaser to WoC. Those pictures look great so far.
Thank you PiO. Some of them turned out great while some turned out very blurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Great pictures of WOC! Looks like you got your spot. I like the Glow with the Show ears
Thank you TK. I always have to get the fire hydrant spot every time I see WoC at the blue section no matter what. I would even trade the very front railing at Paradise Pier lagoon just to get that spot. I just don't like to get close because if I do, my equipment can get wet and ruined by getting closer to the lagoon. I really like the Glow with the Show ears and it was genius of them to make these ears that interacts with the show and rides.

The next post will be up shortly.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #2373
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – August 14, 2012– Part 24

We left off at PP watching the 9pm World of Color. I always love watching WoC which is one of my favorite nighttime shows at DL. The others are the fireworks and Fantasmic!. It was a nice night while my DB, V and I watched at my favorite spot in front of the fire hydrant. This is the spot I have to be every time I see the show in the blue section. Out of all the times I have seen WoC, I still like the fire hydrant spot as my favorite. One day, I will try the dining area and see WoC. It might happen on my upcoming trip back to DL in November if my DA is okay with eating a lot of food.

Let’s get back to pictures of WoC. Like always the show is the same except there will be some different scenes during the show I haven’t seen yet. You will find out shortly which scenes I am talking about.

The Little Mermaid scene

Sebastian

Finding Nemo scenes

That’s it for this post and I will have more from WoC.

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #2374
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Gorgeous WoC pictures, Bret! I love the colors.

Did you receive your copy of that "special edition commemorative paperback book" that Disneyland Annual Passport is sending out to AP holders? It's called "A Celebration of a Wish Come True," and they claim to be sending it out instead of the usual Backstage Pass magazine. It's made of different paper and they mail it out in a white envelope. If you haven't gotten yours yet, you will.

Of course, my mailman pushed my copy into the mailbox and bent it, which makes me mad.

What I wonder is, are they sending these books out to all AP holders, or just the Deluxe-Premium-Premier AP holders? At first I thought they were sending me something to lure me into renewing my AP for another year, but it's just a book that they're sending to AP people.

ETA: I just had a chance to look through the book thoroughly - and some of the pictures in it are stunning! There are a lot of photos of supposed "guests" (who may or may not be real guests, or Disney-planted guests), but some of the scenic/landscape pictures are fantastic! Even the balloon shot on the back cover is amazing. The book reminds me of the old souvenir guide books that were sold in the parks every year in the old days - they were long and horizontal in shape, and they had a section for each land in Disneyland. I used to get one on each DL trip when I was a kid. This AP book is like that - it breaks down all the lands in both parks, except the photos are 100 times better than they used to be when I was a kid!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 09-16-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #2375
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Beautiful capture, Bret.

Looking forward to MORE!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #2376
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Gorgeous WoC pictures, Bret! I love the colors.

Did you receive your copy of that "special edition commemorative paperback book" that Disneyland Annual Passport is sending out to AP holders? It's called "A Celebration of a Wish Come True," and they claim to be sending it out instead of the usual Backstage Pass magazine. It's made of different paper and they mail it out in a white envelope. If you haven't gotten yours yet, you will.

Of course, my mailman pushed my copy into the mailbox and bent it, which makes me mad.

What I wonder is, are they sending these books out to all AP holders, or just the Deluxe-Premium-Premier AP holders? At first I thought they were sending me something to lure me into renewing my AP for another year, but it's just a book that they're sending to AP people.

ETA: I just had a chance to look through the book thoroughly - and some of the pictures in it are stunning! There are a lot of photos of supposed "guests" (who may or may not be real guests, or Disney-planted guests), but some of the scenic/landscape pictures are fantastic! Even the balloon shot on the back cover is amazing. The book reminds me of the old souvenir guide books that were sold in the parks every year in the old days - they were long and horizontal in shape, and they had a section for each land in Disneyland. I used to get one on each DL trip when I was a kid. This AP book is like that - it breaks down all the lands in both parks, except the photos are 100 times better than they used to be when I was a kid!
Thank you Sherry.

I haven't received the "special edition commemorative paperback book" yet. Sometimes I get those magazines from Disney and sometimes I don't get them. Even though I am a Premier AP holder, the only thing I got during the summertime and now is a Mickey Monitor book which tells you about the new Fantasyland at the MK in WDW.

I'm sorry to hear that your copy want bent in the mail.

That is very interesting, I haven't received one yet and I renewed my AP back in June. So I would think that Disney is trying to get the AP holders that their AP's are about to expire to renew. That what it looks to me since I haven't got the book yet. Even though I live in California, I barely get those books or magazines from Disneyland or Walt Disney World. I know that they have millions of AP around the world, Disney should at least mail something at least in a couple of months for all the money we spend on the AP's.

Now you got me all excited to see that AP book. Looks like I will have to wait and hope that Disney will send me my book.

Quote:
Beautiful capture, Bret.

Looking forward to MORE!
Thank you PiO.

More pics are coming.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #2377
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – August 14, 2012– Part 25

Day 2 – August 14, 2012– Part 25

We left off at PP watching the 9pm World of Color. The day was great where we were watching WoC from my favorite spot and the weather was great and warm at night. When I looked at my pictures and see how many I took, I must have taken over 300+ pictures of WoC from that night. Some of them turned out great while some of them turned out bad. Some I will not post on the trip report since some of them are the repeat ones.

Let’s get back to pictures of WoC.

Wall-E scenes

Toy Story scene

Woody and Buzz Lightyear

UP scene

Aladdin Scene

That’s it for this post and I will have more from WoC that night.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2378
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Bret,
Wonderful picture of the WOC show. It is spectacular. Now I'm humming the songs in front of my computer. I think I will go and re-watch your youtube videos.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #2379
PrincessInOz
in

Great pictures Bret. Are you happy with them?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #2380
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
Wonderful picture of the WOC show. It is spectacular. Now I'm humming the songs in front of my computer. I think I will go and re-watch your youtube videos.
Thank you TK. Every time I see my pictures of WoC, I always have to go through my videos and see it over and over again. I just can't get tired of this show. Hopefully I won't try to forget the other shows at WDW when I go back next month. I am looking forward to seeing Illuminations at EPCOT.

Quote:
Great pictures Bret. Are you happy with them?
Thank you PiO.

Some of them turned out nice while some of them turned out bad. I want to get your opinion on some of the WoC pictures that you have seen so far. Some of them are showing light reflections in some of the pictures. I would guess that the glare was from the density lens that I have used that day. I didn't have the tripod on the camera which I carried it with me. It does make a big difference when you don't have the tripod and the pictures turned out a little blurry.

I looked on the details on the pictures that it was set up like this from this picture below. You can see the blue glare on the picture and I would have guess that it was from the density filter that I used during the show.

F-Stop: f/1.8
Exposure time: 1/6 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-3200
aperture: 1.6

I used the no flash compulsory and what setting should I have used that night?

Thank you for your input.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2381
PrincessInOz
in

Bret - you're absolutely right. The glare is most likely from reflection off the filter.
Unless I'm using the ND filter for fireworks, for night show shots, I tend to remove all filters (ND, UV etc) off the lens.

I've only ever had the pleasure of shooting WoC once and those pictures are in the Jan 2011 TR (link in my siggie below)...if you want to check them out.

And I was shooting with a lens that only opened up to f/2.8.

I had to go back to check the exif data but most of the pictures I took were shot at around ISO1600, f/2.8, 1/30 or 1/40 sec. All handheld and I shoot in manual mode.

You could use the S or shutter mode on your Nikon and set the time to 1/30 or 1/40 second; if you're hand holding and not using a tripod. The camera will work out the ISO and f-stop in this mode. Just check that the ISO stays within that 3200 level as your camera seems to be okay on this setting.

I did respond with similar comments earlier in the TR when you were asking about the Little Mermaid ride...not sure if you saw it. The same concepts/comments will hold for WoC.

You're doing great with your shots....just try some of the other modes; rather than just no flash.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #2382
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

That's what I thought. At leas the next time I go around at the park at night with my camera, I can take off the ND lens.

I will remember to go to your TR last year and check out your pictures.

I did read your tips on the dark rides on the LM ride with those settings. I was making sure it was different or the same even at night. At least I know when I am shooting in manual mode that I can still have the ISO at 3200 at all times at night or I can go with 1600 like you have mention. At least I can set the f-stop at f/2.8 and the exposure time at 1/30 or 1/40 sec. I thought at 1/4 or 1/6 sec was too slow during the show. Looks like I need to practice even more with my camera.

Thank you for your help PiO.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #2383
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 – August 14, 2012– Part 26

Day 2 – August 14, 2012– Part 26

We left off at PP watching the 9pm World of Color which is part way through the show. The three of us were enjoying watching WoC that night and left off at the Aladdin scene. Now more pictures from WoC that night.

Genie

Love his end phrase of Aladdin “Made you look”

Applaud

The next scene is the one that I wanted to see the most during WoC which is the “Brave” segment of the show. This was the first time to see the Brave segment of WoC. I haven’t gotten the chance to see it during the last trip since it wasn’t up and running during our June trip. We just missed it by a few days and we finally got to see the new segment of WoC. The show can always be adjusted with different scenes as part of the show which is great during each year. There must have been over 5 different variations of WoC ever since it debut in 2010.

Merida the lead character of “Brave”

That’s it for this post and I will have more from WoC.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #2384
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Your took some wonderful pics of WOC. I love the Genie ones.

I like your spot you were taking these from. I still had a hard time seeing over people even with the CCR package and viewing area.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #2385
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Your took some wonderful pics of WOC. I love the Genie ones.

I like your spot you were taking these from. I still had a hard time seeing over people even with the CCR package and viewing area.
Thank you Angela. The Genie scene of the show is one of my favorite parts of the show.

I always like to watch WoC in front of the fire hydrant at the blue section. Even if I do get a chance at a front railing at the viewing area right by the lagoon, I will always go with the fire hydrant as my spot to watch WoC. I was going to ask you more about your experience at the CCR viewing area during WoC?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: