Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #2296
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Thanks Bret. I'm so happy to see your pictures of GSS and the Little Mermaid. Both rides are new to me (although I have done Mulholland Madness a few times). Both are on my to-do list next time I'm in DLR.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2297
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love MFW and we go on it every trip. It is always on my must do list. I love the view from up there.
Hopefully on your trip, you will be able to get some pics from MFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
You got that right, TK! I will be content to look at Bret's photos from MFWoT because I will never be going on it! I even get a little uneasy riding in the Monorail at times!
Thank you Sherry. I know that you don't like to go on MFWoT, but I am kind of surprise to hear that you are uneasy of riding the Monorail. The Monorail is not that high up in the air like MFWoT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks Bret. I'm so happy to see your pictures of GSS and the Little Mermaid. Both rides are new to me (although I have done Mulholland Madness a few times). Both are on my to-do list next time I'm in DLR.
Your welcome PiO. Glad that you like my pics from GSS and the Little Mermaid. I was also going to ask you on my pictures from the Little Mermaid ride that some of them didn't turned out so great as I have thought with the new lens. Maybe I need to set up the shutter speed and aperture to a specific timing on the dark rides. You will like both rides and just like Angela, those are two rides that she will be doing on her upcoming trip next week. I am glad for her that she will be going to DL shortly.

The next update will be coming up so stay tune.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #2298
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 6

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 6

We left off getting off the Little Mermaid ride. We got to do a lot of rides that morning at DCA. Now that we finished the LM ride, we are on our way out of DCA and over to DL. The park crowd levels started to pick up with more and more people entering DCA that morning. So I knew that DL would also pick up with more and more crowds that day. The weather started to pick up that morning and it was still nice and cool. Now letís get back to the trip report.

We left the LM ride and on our way out of DCA.

On the way out of DCA, we were now approaching BVS. It was kind of busy around the Carthay Circle Theater so I was wondering what was going on around the area. We did find out what was going on around up there.

When we got around the Carthay Circle Theater one of the Red Car Trolleyís was not moving and the show ďRed Car News BoysĒ show. This was the first time seeing the show in person where I have seen clips on the web. But we werenít here to see Red Car News Boys as we head on out of the park. But I did get some pics of the show while we were heading on out of the park. This is one of the shows that I planned on seeing during the trip, but that will be another time to see the show.

Now leaving BVS that morning and over to DL.

I got a few pictures on the way out of the park. The park started to feel a little when we were about to exit right at the turnstiles

I did tell DB and V that we needed to get back to DCA around 11:30am to 12:30pm to use our Radiator Springs Racers FPís or it would have been a wasted day for me in the RSR FP line. We knew that we only had about an hour or two at DL until we returned to DCA.

We left DCA and now heading on over to DL. When we were back at the esplanade that morning, it looked kind of semi busy that day. Hopefully DL wouldnít be as crowded at DCA. But with everything happening the summertime, I didnít know what park will be crowded or not. But with DL, it will always be crowded no matter what.

I looked at the turnstiles at DL and I knew that we were going to be in a long line that morning

At the turnstiles at DL, we had to wait quite a while to enter DL. Itís almost like every morning around that time that most of the crowds started to get up and have breakfast and now are entering the park.

Now we were in DL. I asked what ride they wanted to do first, DB wanted to ride Star Tours since he didnít get to ride it on our WDW trip. During my WDW trip in December, DB and my dad were at EPCOT that day while I was at DHS with my other group. I got to ride ST at DHS which is the same ride but the only difference between the two ST at DL and DHS is that the buildings are completely different.

So we head on over to TL. But before we head on over to TL, I had to get some pics on MS that day.

MS TS didnít look that super busy that morning where it was manageable and walkable. I can tell that a lot of the people in DL are heading on over to the big rides since I have seen mostly adults and teenagers. But that was at MS and there could me more that day.

And of course I canít forget the flowers on Main Street Town Square for which these are for you Deej if you are reading my TR.

Now walking down MS where it was nice and clear that day.

While we were walking down MS, the Horse-Drawn Streetcar and the Horseless Carriage passed by on MS

Still walking down on MS and about to head on over to TL. But on the way, we saw Mary Poppins and Bert walking down.

We were now in TL and passing through Astro Orbiter. I know that this was a bright picture since we were close to the ride and it was bright in that area.

Around TL, AO was about 15 minute wait and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster was at 15 minutes. We looked at ST and see was the wait time was 30 minutes. I knew that it wasnít worth waiting that long to ride Star Tours, so we head on over to the ST FP machines and get FPs for ST.

When I got the tickets our return time was around 10:55am to 11:55am which was about 40 minutes to return to ST and use the FPs. That was a short time to come back to ST and go on the ride. It also worked for us a lot since we could ride ST first before returning to DCA to ride RSR.

After getting FPís for ST, we thought about going on another ride while we were around TL. This is it for this post since I am out of pictures. Weíll find out on the next update to see what our next ride will be at DL that Tuesday morning.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #2299
PrincessInOz
in

Apologies in advance to all of Bret's readers that will get bored with the photog-speak.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Your welcome PiO. Glad that you like my pics from GSS and the Little Mermaid. I was also going to ask you on my pictures from the Little Mermaid ride that some of them didn't turned out so great as I have thought with the new lens. Maybe I need to set up the shutter speed and aperture to a specific timing on the dark rides. You will like both rides and just like Angela, those are two rides that she will be doing on her upcoming trip next week. I am glad for her that she will be going to DL shortly.
Bret - I tried to look for those pics in your flickr account to check the exif file details to see what your settings were but I couldn't find them?

And what mode are you most comfortable shooting in on your camera?

If you are shooting in the shutter priority or time mode (Is this S on the Nikon?..it's Tv on the Canon), then next time, try setting the shutter speed to 1/50 and see what the camera calculates for the ISO and aperture. (I am assuming that you can hold the camera steady at speeds of 1/40 or 1/50. You could try going lower if you have a steady hand but I've found that with the movement on a ride, 1/25 is as much as I can go...but that's me. You might be a lot more steady.) If the ISO is pushing into an ISO setting that you know to be noisy on your camera, then try a different setting.

You could shoot in aperture priority as an alternative (I think this is A on the Nikon;...Av on the Canon). Set your aperture around 2.8 and again check the other two settings. You may want to adjust the aperture so that you get a shutter speed around 1/40 or 1/50 (or even faster) so that you balance off the steady picture with an image where some things are in focus. Aperture settings in the f/2.2 or lower give a shallower depth of field and a lot of the set might be out of focus. Think of it like a pane of glass....the higher the number, the thicker the glass. Everything in that glass pane will be in focus. The lower the number, the thinner the glass. Everything in the glass pane will be in focus but much less will be in focus, because it is thinner.

If you are shooting in manual mode, then I would set the ISO no higher than 1600 (assuming that it gets noisy above this level), 1/50 sec and try the f/2.5 or f/2.8.

If you have time, play with the aperture setting at home. Have a lens that allows you to go down to f/1.8 is great because you have more options for different picture effects in a variety of conditions. The image will be different at the different f-stops and it is an individual preference as to whether you like the out-of-focus look or not. I would recommend that you try it out and work out what your preference is, if you haven't already. Flowers are great subjects to try this on. Set up your camera on the tripod so that you can directly compare....Pick A mode and focus on the flower. The start taking shots from f/1.8 all the way up.

And if I can be so bold as to put an example in here....I took this at the weekend with an f-stop of f/2.8. The flower center is in complete focus and the petal tips are slightly out of focus. The background is a complete blur....but that was the look I was going for.

I wish I had taken a second shot with a different setting to demonstrate it....but if I had changed the f-stop to e.g., f/5.6, I would expect the tips to be in complete focus and also to be able to see more details of the plant and leaves in the background.

Hope this helps.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #2300
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

PiO that was fascinating! Beautiful shot to be sure.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #2301
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Hi PiO

Here are the links to the pictures: Page 101, Page 100, Page 99. As you can tell that I didn't upload all the pictures to the post since half of them or even more were blurry during the ride.

Here are the details from picture DSC_0196

Settings
F-stop: f/2
Exposure time: 1/15 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-3200
Max aperture: 1.6

I first tried the pictures on non-flash setting on automatic. Most of the pictures on the Little Mermaid ride were mostly blurry and I just left it on that setting. I thought about changing the settings on the ride, but I decided to try this way first until another dark ride that we rode that day. The next one wasn't until the Haunted Mansion at night. here is a picture from POTC

Settings
F-stop: f/1.8
Exposure time: 1/13 sec
ISO speed: ISO-3200
Max aperture: 1.6

Thank you for helping me with the settings on the DSLR.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #2302
PrincessInOz
in

Firstly, let me just thank all those photogs on the Photography SubForum who have helped me over the last 2 years of my photo-taking journey.

Secondly, I am by no means an expert and there are heaps of people out there who know more than me. If there is someone lurking and feels like they want to provide additional input on phototaking, please do so…that way we can all learn from you.

Bret – I assume from your comments that you predominantly used the No Flash mode on your camera. There is nothing wrong with this…only that the camera will be calculating the exposure based on the predefined algorithm within its programming. In my opinion, those calculations are designed to set the exposure to pick up as much detail as possible in the image on the sensor. From your pictures, it would seem that the settings are tending to overexposure the lighter sections of the image. The set of Ariel at around DCS186 demonstrates what I mean. If you want to stick with the No flash mode, there are ways to compensate for the overexposure….e.g., you could look at the Exposure Bias and set for an underexposure (head into the negative territory).

I checked the exif data for some of the shots. I noticed that the shots of page 99 had less blur and the exif data shows that your shutter speed was 1/30. The ones you have in the post above are much slower than that.
If you aren’t already using these modes, try out either S or A modes in the dark rides. That will give you a bit more control. It seems that a shutter speed of 1/30 or faster might reduce the blur for you. The ISO setting of 3200 seems reasonable on your camera.

There are a few shots that have ‘blur’ with a shutter speed of 1/30 or higher. The blur in these are probably due to the shallow depth of field. Like I mentioned before, the f-stops of f/2.8 and lower will have the shallower depth of field. If you want to shoot at these aperture settings, this will come down to practise. Disney is perfect for that….go on the same ride over and over and over and over again and keep trying. One thing to keep in mind when shooting with depth of field – you point of focus becomes important.

Take a look at these two examples and you’ll see what I mean. For this reason, I predominantly shoot in spot focus mode now. The aperture setting for both these shots is f/1.8.

My focus point in this shot was at the back of the cannon.

I focussed on the middle of the cannon for this shot.

It will come down to your perspective as to which look you like better.

And Bret – the first time I went to a Disney location with a f/1.8 lens was in October 2010. Here’s my first attempt at the shot similar to your POTC and keep in mind that I shoot purely in manual (but I really should use the other priority modes more and let the camera do some of the work). I was using 1/6 sec, f1.8 @ISO3200. Shutter speed is too slow, creating the blur.

We were lucky – there was no queue, so we got on the ride again. Second attempt… 1/13 sec, f1.8 @ ISO3200. You can see that the lighter bits are over exposed. In retrospect, the shutter speed is still way too slow.

3rd attempt….This one is from DLR in Jan 2011. 1/25 sec, f/2.8 @ISO3200. I still think some of the lighter sections are a little over exposed and the front section details suffer from the depth of field. I’ll probably try something different next time I have the opportunity.

As you head to DLR much more often, just keep playing with the different settings and look at your shots for what you like and don't like. Keep using the settings that you do like and try something else next time.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #2303
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 7

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 7

After getting FPís for Star Tours, we started to go to our next ride at DL which will be Matterhorn Mountain. I have been waiting to ride the revamped Matterhorn Mountain after it has been down for a long time and installing new bobsled cars. I was excited and worried about the new bobsleds. I have been hearing from reports that the new bobsleds are not as comfortable as the old ones. The designs are a little similar to the Space Mountain cars at the MK which are a three passenger car and 6 people for each train. The only thing i am concern is the leg room where I have a big bag with all my equipment. Weíll just wait and see what it is like when we get on the Matterhorn.

We left TL and now heading on over to Matterhorn Mountain. On the way, we saw the mountain climbers climbing the Matterhorn. It was nice to see climbers again after not offering the opportunity to climb the mountain.

The three of us got in line and the wait time was 15 minutes from our spot which wasnít that long. We were all excited to ride the Matterhorn that day. I asked them which side they want to ride, they didnít care which side so I choose the TL side which is the popular side.

Here are some pics while we were in the queue at Matterhorn Mountain.

Mandy Monorail or Monorail Blue

The new bobsled cars on the side track

Another light fixture around the Matterhorn

A look at the station from the queue

We are almost up to the loading station

While we were in the queue, I got some pictures of signs and light fixture

I remember the old sign where it was a four person sign. Now with the new one which is a three person sign.

A look at one of the new cars

Another light fixture

Finally it was our turn to ride the Matterhorn and we were all excited. We got the end of the car which was okay, I was hoping that we would be able to ride the front car.

Here is my video of Matterhorn Mountain that I took that day. The video was kind of wobbling when I videotaped on the ride. Disneyland Matterhorn Mountain 8/14/12

When we got off the ride, it was nice to ride Matterhorn Mountain after being out of service since last year. There were some things that I didnít like about the new bobsleds. As I stated from the beginning of this post is that the bobsleds donít have enough room and you can tell by some of these pics you can see the guest legs when they are seated in the bobsleds. The cars were not that comfortable and it was even worse if you have a backpack with you when you ride the new bobsleds. I couldnít put my bag on my lap since I donít want it to fly out during the ride and I didnít want to ask my DB to hold it for me while I was videotaping. I am telling you this right now and do apologize if I offend anyone who likes the new bobsleds. I donít like these new sleds and would like the old oneís back. They are not that comfortable to ride and it would be very nice if they have the leg room

After getting off Matterhorn Mountain, our next ride was BTMRR. The reason why I want to go on BTMRR is that I read a report from Al Lutz from Miceage and he quoted on his site that BTMRR will be closing around the end of fall for a major refurbishment of the mountain. Which the ride will be closed for the whole year which I have read and replace the track like Disney did with Space Mountain in 2003. I wanted to get on BTMRR before the major refurbishment. But I also got to realize that this report came from Al Lutz and not from the Disney Company. I just played it safe just in case if BTMRR is closed when I come back to the DLR in November during the Holiday season.

Now we left Matterhorn Mountain and on our way to Frontierland. We passed through Fantasyland and there were quite some people.

Flowers right by the Village Haus restaurant

A look at BTMRR while exiting Fantasyland from the back side

Now passing through Big Thunder Ranch

Now we were in Frontierland and right by BTMRR. It didnít look that busy around Frontierland and maybe the wait time for BTMRR wouldnít be that long. But from previous history of BTMRR, I knew that the wait time will be short around 11pm.

The wait time was 10 minutes which was the right time around that afternoon. Since it was only a short wait, we decided to go on BTMRR

While we walked through the queue, I read on the Lutz report that the queue will be a little different if they have the refurbishment. So while this might be the last time to ride and walk through BTMRR, I got a lot of different random pics in the queue.

Another light fixture and you can see part of the mine train in the background.

Thatís it for this post from BTMRR. These next three days from Friday to Sunday, I wonít be doing any updates to my TR since I am working at an Anime show in Sacramento from the morning to night. The next update will be on Monday. Thank you for reading my trip reports and have a nice day.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2304
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great update! Love the light fixture pictures you got. I am a tad worried you won't get back to DCA for your RSR ride
Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #2305
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Great update! Love the light fixture pictures you got. I am a tad worried you won't get back to DCA for your RSR ride
Thank you TK. Good thing that Sherry did that light fixture on the Community Board and it got me all excited to take some pictures of the light fixtures during my trip. You'll find out in a few more updates from my TR if we made it or not. I would assume that you already know that answer if we got on that day or not.

I'm about to do another update to my TR. I have some time to write up one more until the busy weekend. So stay tune for the next one.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #2306
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 8

Day 2 Ė August 14, 2012Ė Part 8

We left off at BTMRR and were in the queue waiting to get on the ride. But before we get to the pictures, I have heard rumors that BTMRR will be closing later this year for a long refurbishment. If the stories are true or not, it was a good idea to ride the original BTMRR just in case if it close later this year. Now back to BTMRR queue where my DB and V are in line waiting to get on BTMRR.

More different pictures of the queue before we got on the ride

For people who donít know about these buildings at the end of BTMMR, these were original showcase buildings from the former Mine Train through Natureís Wonderland.

Here comes one of the mine trains.

BTMRR sign

Another light fixture

Now almost towards the loading station

We were on the right hand side of the loading station and had to wait just about a minute until it was time to ride BTMRR. While we were waiting, I took some more different pictures around the station.

The mine train came at the station and now we boarded it. I did videotape Big Thunder Mountain Railroad that day and here is the video that is on youtube: Disneyland Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on August 14, 2012

It is so fun riding BTMRR at DL. I have ridden the one at the MK. When I compare both mountains at DL & the MK, the overall ride experience for me is DL while the MK version is the best looking mountain. Every time I ride DL BTMRR, I always look forward to the rainbow colored caverns when you enter the first tunnel. This is my personal preference of both mountains at DL and the MK.

After getting off BTMRR, it was time to head on over to TL and use our FPís for Star Tours. It was barely past 11am that afternoon and it was almost time for our FPís for Radiator Springs Racers at DCA, but we had some time to go on over to Star Tours and head on over to DCA. So we left Frontierland and head on over to Tomorrowland.

More different pics on the way over to TL

Now at the Hub

While I was around the Hub, I stopped a little bit to get some pics of the flowers.

Now entering Tomorrowland

That is it for this post. I did say that the last update from this morning would be the last one, but I had some time to write up one last update to my trip report before the Anime show. Weíll find out what destinations we will be heading on Star Tours.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #2307
PrincessInOz
in

Thanks for sharing more wonderful shots again.

Have a great time at the Anime show.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #2308
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I loved the video on BTMM. I don't know if I ever really paid a lot of attention to the old buildings/stores in the queue. I appreciate the pictures and the DL trivia.

Hope you made it to RSR in time to use your FPs!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #2309
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks for sharing more wonderful shots again.

Have a great time at the Anime show.
Your welcome PiO. Glad that you like the latest update.

I did have a great time at the Sac Anime Show and made a lot of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I loved the video on BTMM. I don't know if I ever really paid a lot of attention to the old buildings/stores in the queue. I appreciate the pictures and the DL trivia.

Hope you made it to RSR in time to use your FPs!
Thank you TK. I didn't know too much of the buildings right by the track at BTMRR for all these years until these last 10 years. It is a tribute to the Mine Train through Natureís Wonderland and I would assume that they will leave the buildings if DL does a major revamped of the ride.

You will find out on the next update. Since I have been gone during the Sac Anime show this weekend, I haven't updated my TR. But I will have the next update tomorrow morning.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #2310
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Hi Bret! I'm all caught up on Sherry's TR, now I want to dive into yours. I'm excited to see your latest pictures.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: