Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #2251
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Hi Bret! I didn't realize you just had another trip. I look forward to catching up on your latest adventure. I have company coming in today so I need to get ready for that. I should be able to start catching up this weekend.
Hi Deej. It is very nice to hear from you. Hope that you will enjoy this TR. I would skip the posts 2 through 6 on my TR since they are at DCA and I know that you don't want to see any pics of Cars Land or Buena Vista Street. Glad that you here Deej.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
WOW this installment was chock full of DL trivia. I didn't know there used to be a Skyway that went through the Matterhorn. I never noticed the heart in the mountain either.

Deej - did you see the great flower pics?

Looks like a very nice night to watch the fireworks.

TK
Originally the Skyway opened in 1956 one year after DL opened. A few years ago the Matterhorn was built in 1959. Since the Matterhorn is in the middle of the Skyway track line, they built tunnels through the Matterhorn for the Skyway line.

Here is a pic of the Skyway buckets going through the Matterhorn. These are not my pics but from wikipedia.org

The tunnels through the Matterhorn are completely different from today's Matterhorn. Just as Sherry said that it doesn't look like a heart shape but a Mickey shape head. It does kind of look a little bit like a Mickey head, but from my angle at TL, it mostly looks like a heart shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Nice update. I really miss the people mover and skyway tram too.
Thank you. Same here, I do miss the PeopleMover and Skyway. Those were the great times in the 80s and early 90s at DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I forgot the skyway went through the matterhorn. I miss the skyway, people mover and America sings. Cant wait for more.!
It has been over 15 years since the Skyway & PeopleMover been removed from TL and part of old DL history rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I don't know if I caught the Matterhorn hole as being a 'heart' when you did Heart Quest last year (which was a great quest idea on my part, if I do say so myself!). I had always heard people say that they thought the shape looked like a mangled Hidden Mickey, but it kind of changed over the years and began to look less Mickey-like.

I am very old, so I remember the Matterhorn and the Skyway buckets going through it way, way back when. In fact, I posted a picture from the early 1990's somewhere buried in my TR thread that, I think, shows a bucket going through the Matterhorn and the old, pre-Nemo version of the Subs, or it at least shows the line for the Skyway. I will have to look at it again, but I think there is a bucket going through it.

Great flower pictures!
After looking at the Matterhorn from the TL side, it almost looks like a heart shape and some people would say that it look like a Mickey shape head in half. I did the heart quest in February 2011. The sign quest was in January of 2011. I can't believe it has been over a year since I did those quests and they were daunting. Maybe these last few years looked like a heart shape while early on, the Matterhorn did have a Mickey shape head through the former Skyway tunnels.

I still do missed the old days at TL with the Skyway, PeopleMover, the pre-FNSV which was called the Submarine Voyage ride, America Sings, Rocket Jets. Oh yeah, do you remember the 360 theater at TL where BLAB is now located? I remember that theater a lot since we past through the theater on the PeopleMover.

Thank you Sherry.

The next post will be up tomorrow with the fireworks.

Have a great night everyone.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #2252
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

This is my picture, taken in Summer 1992, if I recall. I'm sharing it because you were kind enough to share your "ugly Toon Town tree" photos in my TR, and TK was kind enough to share her Boo to You pics in your WDW Pre-TR!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #2253
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I remember that Skyways from my first two trips to Disneyland. Come to think of it, I think it was the FIRST ever ride I did at Disneyland.

Thanks for sharing pics Sherry...brings back memories.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #2254
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is my picture, taken in Summer 1992, if I recall. I'm sharing it because you were kind enough to share your "ugly Toon Town tree" photos in my TR, and TK was kind enough to share her Boo to You pics in your WDW Pre-TR!

Thank you Sherry for the picture of the Matterhorn, the Skyway and the Submarine Voyage. You and TK are great to show your pictures from your past Disney trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I remember that Skyways from my first two trips to Disneyland. Come to think of it, I think it was the FIRST ever ride I did at Disneyland.

Thanks for sharing pics Sherry...brings back memories.
That is neat PiO that the Skyway was your first ever ride at DL.

My next post of Magical fireworks will be up shortly.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2255
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 9

Now I just left off at MS Hub waiting for the fireworks that night. It was a nice night which was in the low 70s and a clear night for the fireworks. At first, I was hoping that it wouldnít be windy so DL had to cancel the fireworks. But after that whole day, it looks like they will run the fireworks with no problem.

It was close to one hour until the fireworks and the area around the Hub for the fireworks started to pick up with more and more guests coming in to get a great spot. For people that want to get a front row spot to see the fireworks in front of SB Castle will have to get there at least one hour. For people like me who will wait as long as 2 hours for the fireworks would have no problem waiting. I know that it isnít worth waiting that long for the fireworks, but I am just that type of a person who will wait that long just to get a great spot and videotape or take pictures.

So I just kept waiting until it was time for Magical fireworks at 9:30pm

A few birds passing by SB Castle

Another look at the Carnation Plaza Gardens that night

I took some different color pictures of SB Castle while I was waiting. I was on my iPad that whole time that night waiting for Magical fireworks talking to some of you DISers and updating my trip.

Regular colors

Just blue

Red only

It was around 8:55pm that night and we saw fireworks in the direction towards IASW. In that direction, Magic, Memories & You is playing at 8:45pm and some kids right next to me were wondering why there were fireworks at that time and the mom said that they were testing the fireworks that night. I didnít want to say anything to the family right next to me since that was a nice answer from the mom to their kids.

Now it is 9:30pm and is time for Magical fireworks. I did try to take a few pics of the fireworks with the trails. I used my Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens with the density filter that night. I got a lot of help from PiO of how to take firework trail pictures on my last trip and I was really looking forward to taking the pictures of the fireworks that night. But just one problem is that I forgot my remote control to my DSLR. I put my video camera on the tripod to tape the show while I tried to take pictures of the fireworks trails in my hands. Some of the pictures will be bad while some of them turned out nice. I havenít uploaded Magical yet, but it will be up later today.

Here are pics of the Magical that night with my DSLR camera.

This one was bad, but you can see Dumbo flying that night.

You can tell that some of the pics were bad without the tripod and it does make a big difference if you move your camera just a little bit and you will see a blurry photo.

Here are some pics from my video camera that I taped that night.

After Magical fireworks were over, I packed all of my things and about to do my next nighttime show at DL. Can you guess what nighttime show I am about to see that night? I will have the answer on the next update to my TR.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #2256
PrincessInOz
in

That first picture with the trails turned out good. Shame about the remote...next time (which will be at WDW ).

I'm guessing that we might be seeing a bit of COLOUR in the next little while.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #2257
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post

I got a lot of help from PiO of how to take firework trail pictures on my last trip and I was really looking forward to taking the pictures of the fireworks that night. But just one problem is that I forgot my remote control to my DSLR.

I was running out the door for school drop off earlier....I mean to comment on this.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I have to say that without the help from the photographers on the Photography subforum of the Boards (thanks to them!), I wouldn't be in a position to pay it forward.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #2258
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

Just a heads up...there's a new Theme Week in the Halloween thread on Friday, and then, in 5 days (Mon., August 27), we begin the Theme Week Countdown in the Christmas Superthread!!!

It's time to start that train a-rollin' once again in the Christmas thread, all the way to November 12!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #2259
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That first picture with the trails turned out good. Shame about the remote...next time (which will be at WDW ).

I'm guessing that we might be seeing a bit of COLOUR in the next little while.
The first picture trails turned out well, but the castle didn't look too well since it was blurry. I must have taken about 20 pictures with the trail and 2 of the 20 were not that blurry. I wasn't that happy since I didn't bring my remote control. So on my WDW trip when I see Illuminations, HalloWishes, or Wishes I need to pack my remote in my bag so I won't forget.

There will be some color in the next update for tomorrow.

Quote:
I was running out the door for school drop off earlier....I mean to comment on this.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I have to say that without the help from the photographers on the Photography subforum of the Boards (thanks to them!), I wouldn't be in a position to pay it forward.
Thank you for all of your help on the firework trails.

Quote:
Bret -

Just a heads up...there's a new Theme Week in the Halloween thread on Friday, and then, in 5 days (Mon., August 27), we begin the Theme Week Countdown in the Christmas Superthread!!!

It's time to start that train a-rollin' once again in the Christmas thread, all the way to November 12!!
I all ready for the new Halloween theme on Friday and the Christmas theme on Monday.

It's time to start up the Christmas thread again.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #2260
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Bret,
I liked the historical pictures of the Skyway! Thanks to you and Sherry

Your firework pics from your video camera were great! Getting great shots with your camera is a really advanced skill. Yours looked really good. I'm glad you were able to pass the time on your iPad. When solo and in line/waiting for a parade it is nice to have something to do.

I really enjoy your one-touch color photographs. I'll look forward to your youtube posting of the fireworks.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #2261
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
I liked the historical pictures of the Skyway! Thanks to you and Sherry

Your firework pics from your video camera were great! Getting great shots with your camera is a really advanced skill. Yours looked really good. I'm glad you were able to pass the time on your iPad. When solo and in line/waiting for a parade it is nice to have something to do.

I really enjoy your one-touch color photographs. I'll look forward to your youtube posting of the fireworks.

TK
Hi TK.

Your welcome TK. The Skyway buckets are completely different from the pictures you see. There were round buckets during the early days of the Skyway and changed to the square buckets. I don't know when they replaced them, but there were two different kind of buckets for the Skyway during its 38 year existence at DL.

Here is a pic of the round buckets during the early days of the Skyway. This is not my picture and using it as an example.

Thank you TK. The firework trail pics didn't turned out great as I thought when i didn't have the tripod. At least the video turned out nice. I also realized when I got home that it was not in HD or in 720. It was old fashion video which I wasn't happy about. But for that quality without HD is not that bad. Good thing I have the new iPad HD with the fast 4G network over my old first generation iPad. It's always great to have that with me when I am in a long line or waiting for the shows.

I will try to upload it tomorrow morning. But I will do a special treat tonight and post one more update to my TR. The next update will be up shortly so stay tune.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #2262
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 10

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 10

After Magical fireworks was over around 9:50pm, I started to go on to my next destination. For the people that been following my PTR before, you should know what nighttime show I am about to see. If you guess Magic, Memories & You, you are correct over F! which has a 2nd show at 10:30pm. Since I didnít see MMY on my last trip in June, I had to go see MMY and the new summer segment that I missed.

When I packed all my equipment in my bags, I thought about heading on over to the Tiki Juice Bar to get a Dole Whip. But I didnít want to get an early treat that night so I decided to wait after MMY. So I head straight on over to IASW Plaza and see the 2nd show of MMY at 10:15pm. Most of the people around the Hub that watched Magical fireworks head on out of the park or head on over to Frontierland for the 2nd show of F!.

I head on over towards the direction to the Matterhorn since that is the fastest way to IASW Plaza while you canít go through SB Castle until later that night. The reason why they donít let guests through the castle after the fireworks is for safety issues.

A look at SB Castle while heading on over to IASW Plaza.

Very interesting when I got to the FL side right by the Matterhorn, the CMís let the guests through on over to FL. Mostly after the fireworks, they have that side closed until it was safe to let the guests in FL. I had to go through the TL side in order to get to FL in the past and it was time saving when going through the FL side.

I got to IASW Plaza at 10pm and I had about 15 minutes to kill until it was time for the 2nd show of MMY. It was not that busy until it was about 5 minutes until the show started. So while I was waiting for MMY, I took some more pics around the area with the new lens and filter. I thought about changing the density filter to the UV filter that night, but I wanted to try the density filter at night before I change my mind when I use it at WDW in October. Some of the pics with the density filter at night are very nice and darker with that density filter.

It was 10pm that night and it was time for IASW to come to life and show itís 10pm.

A look back at the Matterhorn

Very interesting is that the doors for the time on IASW didnít open. So I knew that it wasnít functional that day. I have seen the door not opened a few times in past trips. Itís always sad of not seeing the time on IASW.

I just waited until it was time for the 10:15pm MMY show and one of the trains passed by IASW. That was the Fred Gurley Engine #3 with Holiday 5 car set.

Now it was time for the 2nd show of MMY at IASW. I used my video camera that night and put it on the tripod while I carried my DSLR and took pictures that night. I was excited to see the new segment of MMY and use my lens for the show. It was bad that there were some people in front of me during the show, but I had to get some space with the lens.

Here are pics that I took that night with my DSLR camera and I will try to upload the video tomorrow. I know that I didnít upload Magical today since I was busy all day today with work and hopefully it will be up by then. Some of the pics were good while some of them were bad.

The new summer segment for MMY. This is the first time I seen the new segment. I havenít watched it on youtube since I want to be surprised.

That will be it for this post while the next one will be pictures from my video camera that I videotaped that night on the tripod. I will show the pictures of MMY from my video camera tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #2263
PrincessInOz
in

WOW! Nice shots. Nice update. There's definitely colour.....

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #2264
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

It was wonderful to see the old skyway. It brought back allot of memories. Your shots of the fireworks are fabulous! When did IASW start doing a show? I love seeing all the pictures of the spots around DL. Can't wait for more!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #2265
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WOW! Nice shots. Nice update. There's definitely colour.....
Thank you PiO. There was a lot of color that night at IASW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
It was wonderful to see the old skyway. It brought back allot of memories. Your shots of the fireworks are fabulous! When did IASW start doing a show? I love seeing all the pictures of the spots around DL. Can't wait for more!
It is very nice to look at pictures and videos of the Skyway at DL during those days. Glad that you are enjoying my fireworks pictures. "Magic Memories and You" is a very nice show at DL where they show pictures of the guests that day at the resort. It is so amazing with the imagines on the facade of IASW. I believe it debut at IASW last year. I remember that when I went to DL in February last year, it debut at the end of January.

Now all of a sudden, I was lucky to watch MMY that night since Disney announced that Magic Memories and You will be playing for the last time on Labor Day, September 3rd and will do a new show called 'Celebrate the Magic'. These last two years of watching MMY at IASW and Cinderella Castle at the MK have been nice nighttime show at both parks. Now I am looking forward to 'Celebrate the Magic' at IASW in November. I might miss "Celebrate the Magic' at the MK during my WDW trip unless it begins on Nov. 1st which is my last day in Florida.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 08-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: