Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #2236
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 13, 2012– Part 7

Day 1 – August 13, 2012– Part 7

Now I just left DCA after taking pictures of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, now I am heading on over to DL for Magical fireworks that night. It was a great day at DCA where the crowd levels were not that bad and got to see the rest of DCA all finished up. After seeing CL & BVS this trip from my past trip, it was worth it coming back to the DLR to see the rest of DCA all finished up.

After I exited DCA, the esplanade didn’t look that crowded. I knew that DL turnstiles will be crowded when I get over there. It was nice to see the DCA banners out on the esplanade. It shows each different attraction at DCA and you can tell that TDA is going all out on DCA for this summer. Even in Sactown, I see at least one Cars Land billboard anywhere I go.

When I got to the turnstiles at DL, it was quite busy. It only took about 2 minutes for me to enter the park.

I’m now at DL past 6:50pm. It wasn’t that busy around the turnstiles, I would guess that Mickey’s Soundsational parade is over at MS Town Square and right around the Hub.

Now through the MS station platform where you see that familiar plaque

When I got to MS, the first thing I wanted to see was the new Crowning Achievements gallery at the Disney Gallery. I didn’t go inside since I had to get ready for the fireworks. But I did eventually get to see the gallery during my visit.

Ms did look quite busy that night. I would guess that Soundsational parade just finished around MS and should be around the Hub. There were some people still on the curb side that night.

The Disney Showcase store

The Emporium

More pics of the buildings on MS

Carnation Café

While walking down MS, I did see the end of Mickey’s Soundational Parade just passing the Coke Corner

It was already 6:55pm that night and about 2 ½ hours until Magical fireworks.

A look at the Matterhorn along with the end of Soundsational Parade.

I decided to wait a little longer to get a spot since the area in front of SB Castle has no people on the curb sides. I can tell from this spot that there were people waiting on the benches for the fireworks.

A look at Jolly Holiday Bakery Café

There were quite a lot of people around the Hub, but I knew that the area around SB Castle wasn’t going to be busy about 2 hours until the fireworks. So I head on over to Frontierland to get some more pics.

While I was in Frontierland, I got some more pics with my new lens.

When I looked at the Frontierland Shootin’ Exposition, there were CM security guards around the area telling people that they can’t come in that area. I didn’t look carefully, but there was some kind of package around the area since I didn’t see any guests in the area.

After passing the Frontierland Shootin’ Exposition, I got some more pics around Frontierland.

The Golden Horseshoe area

While I was in the area, I was starting to get hungry at that time. Earlier, my DB, V and I had lunch at Ralph’s Brennan Jazz Kitchen a few hours ago. But I didn’t eat too much that lunch since it was close to dinner time. So I was fortunate to eat less at RBJK and have dinner. I was thinking of going to eat at Royal Street Veranda at NOS, but I had gumbo during lunch so that was out of the question. I could have eaten at Rancho del Zocalo, but I had Mexican food the other day. The only restaurants that are quick service in the area are Stage Door Café, Riverbelle Terrace or French Market. So I just head on over to Stage Door Café to have dinner.

At first, I was thinking of chicken nuggets. But after seeing the corn dog, I just had to get one that night. So I got my food and ate right around the Riverbelle Terrace dining area. I only had a corn dog with slice apples and a drink that night. I thought about taking my food over to the viewing area, but I still have some time to kill and take some pics until I head on over to the Hub for the fireworks.

It only took me 5 minutes to finish the corn dog and apples. After that, I cleaned up and started to head to head on over to the Hub to see what the area is like that night. It was going to be fast since I was about to go and see Matterhorn Mountain after it’s long refurbishment.

That is it for this post and I will have more later on at DL.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #2237
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

OK I'm caught up again.

I haven't been to DL since Jan 2011 and your pics keep showing me I have a lot of new places to eat, shop and see.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #2238
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I'm all caught up too.

Did you find out if there was something going on at Frontierland or was it just one of those moments where the CM were checking to make sure everything was okay?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #2239
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Thanks, so many areas I forgot were there!Takes me back!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #2240
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
OK I'm caught up again.

I haven't been to DL since Jan 2011 and your pics keep showing me I have a lot of new places to eat, shop and see.
You will have an outstanding time when you back to the DLR next month. I'm glad that you are enjoying my pictures Angela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I'm all caught up too.

Did you find out if there was something going on at Frontierland or was it just one of those moments where the CM were checking to make sure everything was okay?
When I walked back from Frontierland to the Hub, the Frontierland Shootin' Exposition was back to normal where guests shoot at the targets. I didn't see any guests around the area and I would have guess that someone left their bag in that area and Disney do clear the area for unattended bags. I know that it is a standard protocol for the CM's to clear out that area for unattended bags. If the area was clear to go back than it was just a minor problem at that time at the Shootin' Exposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Thanks, so many areas I forgot were there!Takes me back!
You should consider to go back to the DLR one day. So much has changed over the last few years and there will be more changes in the future.

I am looking forward to your trip next year with the other DISers. Hopefully maybe I will be able to come along at that time, but time will tell if I can go or not.

The next post will be up tomorrow morning so stay tune.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #2241
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
You will have an outstanding time when you back to the DLR next month. I'm glad that you are enjoying my pictures Angela.

When I walked back from Frontierland to the Hub, the Frontierland Shootin' Exposition was back to normal where guests shoot at the targets. I didn't see any guests around the area and I would have guess that someone left their bag in that area and Disney do clear the area for unattended bags. I know that it is a standard protocol for the CM's to clear out that area for unattended bags. If the area was clear to go back than it was just a minor problem at that time at the Shootin' Exposition.

You should consider to go back to the DLR one day. So much has changed over the last few years and there will be more changes in the future.

I am looking forward to your trip next year with the other DISers. Hopefully maybe I will be able to come along at that time, but time will tell if I can go or not.

The next post will be up tomorrow morning so stay tune.
Sad to say, but I don't think DL will be in the future. But it is ok I can live through everyone's pictures and be satisfied. Hopefully you can come next year! Carry on!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #2242
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

Do you happen to know if that red, white & blue bunting that is draped on the Main Street buildings is there from Memorial Day to Labor Day? And also the red, white & blue decorations on the lampposts - are they there from Memorial Day to Labor Day too?

It never occurred to me that those patriotic decorations would be up all summer long. I really thought that DLR just put them up for 4th of July. However, on June 9th I noticed the red, white and blue decorations on the lampposts when I was at DLR. I thought it seemed too early at that point to put them up for 4th of July, which was almost a month away, so I figured that maybe they had been there since Memorial Day.

Now, in your photos from your August DLR trip, I still see all of the decorations and we are well past 4th of July. So I can only imagine that they are being kept up until Labor Day.

If that is correct that the patriotic decorations are kept up from Memorial Day to Labor Day - that's a long time!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #2243
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures down Mainstreet and Frontierland. The corn dog looked tasty

Looking forward to the firework display.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #2244
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Sad to say, but I don't think DL will be in the future. But it is ok I can live through everyone's pictures and be satisfied. Hopefully you can come next year! Carry on!
Maybe one day, DL will be in the future. Glad that you are enjoying the pictures from my TR. It will be nice if I can work it out next year at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret -

Do you happen to know if that red, white & blue bunting that is draped on the Main Street buildings is there from Memorial Day to Labor Day? And also the red, white & blue decorations on the lampposts - are they there from Memorial Day to Labor Day too?

It never occurred to me that those patriotic decorations would be up all summer long. I really thought that DLR just put them up for 4th of July. However, on June 9th I noticed the red, white and blue decorations on the lampposts when I was at DLR. I thought it seemed too early at that point to put them up for 4th of July, which was almost a month away, so I figured that maybe they had been there since Memorial Day.

Now, in your photos from your August DLR trip, I still see all of the decorations and we are well past 4th of July. So I can only imagine that they are being kept up until Labor Day.

If that is correct that the patriotic decorations are kept up from Memorial Day to Labor Day - that's a long time!
I'm looking through my pictures from my Memorial Day trip in 2011 and yes they do have the red, white and blue drapes on the buildings of MS as well as the lampposts. I would assume that they leave them up all the way towards Labor Day weekend since they were up during my last trip. I have never been to DL during Labor Day weekend.

For the last four years I have been going to DL during the summertime, I know that they put up the patriotic decorations on the buildings of MS. The only one I am wondering the most is the lampposts. I looked at my 2009 pictures during the summertime and saw that there were Celebrate year decorations that were on the lampposts on MS instead of the patriotic colors. Do you remember 'What Will You Celebrate' campaign in 2009 where you get a free birthday admission ticket on your birthday? They did have some decorations on MS during the summertime to promote that campaign. Also remember the giant card envelope with the Mickey balloons where the pumpkin and tree go during the season?

I would guess that DL will keep the decorations up until Labor day weekend. I know that DCA BVS had some patriotic decorations up during 4th of July week. Then they took them down after 4th of July week. I thought that DCA would leave the decorations up just like DL, but it was just for that weekend.

I know for a fact that the patriotic drapes on MS are up from Memorial Day to Labor Day and same thing for the lampposts during the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Love the pictures down Mainstreet and Frontierland. The corn dog looked tasty

Looking forward to the firework display.

TK
Thank you TK. The corn dog was great that night. I was about to get chicken nuggets until I changed my mind with the corn dog at Stage Door Cafe.

The next post won't have the firework display but it will shortly when we get to the fireworks.

The next post will be up shortly.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #2245
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – August 13, 2012– Part 8

Day 1 – August 13, 2012– Part 8

After having dinner at Stage Door Café, I started to head on to the Hub to see if I had to get my spot earlier. I wasn’t planning on getting the spot until 7:30pm while it was around 7:10pm. If there were some people waiting at the Hub at my spot on the right hand side of looking at SB Castle, I had to get my spot early.

I left Frontierland and on over to the Hub. It was quite busy around Frontierland when I left the dining area right by the Riverbelle Terrace and Stage Door Café. Over at the RoA sitting area for the first show of F!, there were people waiting right at the railing with two hours to go. It didn’t surprise me one bit that there are people waiting over 2+ hours for the first show of F! at the RoA.

Earlier when I got into Frontierlanfd, I passed through the Frontierland Shootin’ Exposition which had some CM Security guards not letting any guests into the Shootin’ Exposition. When I got back there, they were already gone when I got approached the area and guests started to shoot again that night.

When I got to the Hub, there were no people on the curb sides except for the guests sitting on the benches. It was around 7:15pm and there were no guests on the curb sides. SB Castle was all roped off so the guests could not walk through the castle. Like every night for the fireworks at DL, they closed off entry to the castle so they can get ready for the fireworks. It is at least 2 hours I believe that the CM’s closed off SB Castle entry from the front and back. So I head on over to Matterhorn Mountain to see how it looks after its refurbishment.

A now look at the Matterhorn which is so nice to look at after its long refurbishment. The new bobsleds are very nice, but I do miss the old bobsleds. I also don’t like those railings on the bridge of the Matterhorn. I know that it is for safety reasons, but it takes away from the magic of the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn view from MS

After looking at the Matterhorn, I went through the TL side to see the other side of the Matterhorn which is my favorite side to see the Matterhorn. Every time I see the old Skyway tunnel through the Matterhorn, it reminds me of the old days where I love going through the Matterhorn with the Skyway. Over the years ever since the Skyway in the mid 90’s when it was taken out, I like to see the heart shape of the Matterhorn. Sherry caught that spot before when I did the Heart Quest in 2011 and I always get a picture of it every time I am at DL.

After looking at the Matterhorn from the TL side, I went through TL to see what the wait times were like when I head on back to the Hub for the fireworks. I did plan on getting to the Hub around 7:30pm for the fireworks since I didn’t have to wait a long time since my last trip.

It was already dinner time and there were quite a number of people at the Tomorrowland Terrace quick counter restaurant for dinner. The FNSV was around 40 minute wait time when I passed through TL.

Now more look at TL when I am heading on over back to the Hub.

I did look at “Observation” which is actually the former Rocket Jets ride on top of the former PeopleMover/Rocket Rods station. For people that don’t know it, it is a satellite-theme sculpture that came to life every fifteen minutes and plays a song while moving. I really do miss the old Rocket Jets & PeopleMover/Rocket Rods (I didn’t care much about Rocket Rods back then which had ridiculous wait times and broke down a lot). It would be nice if they do something about the former PeopleMover/Rocket Rods station and bring something back since it is just a waste to see the station not being used for something. It has been over 10 years since they used that station and counting.

Now heading on over to the center of TL and you can see Space Mountain

On my left was Innoventions. It will be very interesting to see what they will do with Innoventions in the future. I been hearing rumors that they will tear down the building and put in a new ride or something. But it is just rumors and it will be interesting to see what they will do with it.

A look at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port which serves pizza and pasta

When I looked at Space Mountain wait time, it was at 40 minutes to get on the ride which isn’t that long during the summertime which can be as long as an hour. I should be glad that these wait times are not that long when you compare to WDW where they are about double the time on specific rides.

I then head on out of TL and back to the Hub. I did get more pics around TL.

The Star Trader store

When I was about to leave TL, Star Tours only had a 30 minute wait time which is a significant change from last year where it was at least 1 to 2 hours to get on the ride. Now you can just wait a short time to get on the ride. Also BLAB one my favorite rides at DL only had a 20 minute wait time which is normal during the afternoon and night.

Buzz Lightyear Astro Orbiter sign

Now I was back at the Hub and saw that there was one group of people at my curb side spot that I usually get for the fireworks on the right hand side. I didn’t mind that I since I knew that I took a chance of going around the park and looking at different things when I could use my time at the spot. While I was around the Hub, I needed to get some pics of the flowers around the area (Deej, I know that you aren’t looking at my TR cause you don’t want to see CL & BVS pics but these pics are for you).

When I was around the Hub, I was using the Nikkor 35mm lens with the density filter. The flowers turned out really well with lens and filter. I tested the lens and filter when I was at the California State Fair in Sacramento and the flowers pics turned out very nice just like the DL flowers.

Flowers around the Hub

Now some pictures of the character statues as well as Partners statue

Pluto

Partners statue

Chip & Dale

After looking around the Hub, I finally head on over to my spot for the fireworks that night. There were some people on the right hand side of my spot that I usually videotape the fireworks, so I decided to go on the left side of the Hub in front of SB Castle for the fireworks. Last time during my June trip, I watched Magical two times. One time I videotaped the show and the other time I used my DSLR for the firework trail. I was excited to use my new lens and filter that night. I always bring my video camera like I do every night for the nighttime shows.

I was about to use my DSLR and the new lens and filter that night, but I realized that I forgot my remote control to my DSLR. I was not happy that I forgot my remote control that night. Luckily, I still have my video camera so I put it on the tripod that night. So I thought about trying to hold on my DSLR and take pictures of the firework trails that night. I knew that it was going to be difficult of not moving the camera. So I had to go with 2 seconds on the shutter speed. I have tried to hold my DSLR camera for the firework trail on my last trip in June and it was so difficult to hold on the camera and get pictures with the firework trails.

While I was waiting at the Hub, I took a few pics until it was time for the fireworks at 9:30pm. It was quiet when I got to the spot around 7:30pm with just a couple of people on the curb side while all of the benches were taken. When I set up my tripod, one of the people that was sitting on the bench wondering why I am setting up my tripod. I told him that when it is time for the fireworks, we have to stand up. He was kind of surprise to hear me say that we have to stand up for the fireworks. I told him that the people on the park benches don’t have to stand up, but the CM’s will ask the guests to stand up for the fireworks. It’s almost like he was about to go off on me about the standing up for the fireworks. I have been watching the fireworks for years around the Hub and knew that the guests on the street will have to stand up for the fireworks. But for the guests who are sitting on the benches don’t have to stand up since there will be no one behind them unless you are sitting in the VIP seating area.

A look at SB Castle before the fireworks

Now pictures of the former Carnation Plaza Gardens which is now gone and will be replaced with Princess Fantasy Faire in the winter of 2013. I really do miss the CPG ever since Disney announced that they are taking it away for the Princess Fantasy Fair and construction began.

That's it for this post from MS Hub and I will be back with more from that night.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 08-21-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #2246
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Hi Bret! I didn't realize you just had another trip. I look forward to catching up on your latest adventure. I have company coming in today so I need to get ready for that. I should be able to start catching up this weekend.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #2247
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

WOW this installment was chock full of DL trivia. I didn't know there used to be a Skyway that went through the Matterhorn. I never noticed the heart in the mountain either.

Deej - did you see the great flower pics?

Looks like a very nice night to watch the fireworks.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #2248
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Nice update. I really miss the people mover and skyway tram too.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #2249
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I forgot the skyway went through the matterhorn. I miss the skyway, people mover and America sings. Cant wait for more.!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #2250
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I don't know if I caught the Matterhorn hole as being a 'heart' when you did Heart Quest last year (which was a great quest idea on my part, if I do say so myself!). I had always heard people say that they thought the shape looked like a mangled Hidden Mickey, but it kind of changed over the years and began to look less Mickey-like.

I am very old, so I remember the Matterhorn and the Skyway buckets going through it way, way back when. In fact, I posted a picture from the early 1990's somewhere buried in my TR thread that, I think, shows a bucket going through the Matterhorn and the old, pre-Nemo version of the Subs, or it at least shows the line for the Skyway. I will have to look at it again, but I think there is a bucket going through it.

Great flower pictures!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: