Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #2206
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

The gumbo looks yummy!!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #2207
rokstedy
Mouseketeer

The calamari is making me hungry. But the poboy looks kind of smallish. Do my eyes deceive me?
rokstedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #2208
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Nice update! We've been to RB once. I don't know that we'll go back. Some of us loved our meals. Others? Not so much. DH wasn't a fan at all. He had the gumbo and said it was too salty.

You take great photos!
Thank you Jenny. RBJK was a nice restaurant, but once is enough for me until another 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Wonderful pictures! I love the piano, and the umbrella's! The food looks great.
Thank you Jo. The room was well decorated with NO style decorations and the food was great even though we didn't eat a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
You're making me hungry! I can't believe we haven't tried Ralphís Brennan Jazz Kitchen yet, might need to on our Sept trip.
You should consider eating at RBJK. It is easy to get in during lunch than dinner. So if you considering having dinner at RBJK, I would make a reservation where you can walk up during lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
The gumbo looks yummy!!
The gumbo was nice, good thing I didn't eat too much that afternoon when we got to SoCal. I only had a croissant that morning and didn't have anything to eat until eating at RBJK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstedy View Post
The calamari is making me hungry. But the poboy looks kind of smallish. Do my eyes deceive me?
The food was very nice.

I will have the next update shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #2209
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 2

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 2

After we finished lunch at Ralph's Brennan Jazz Kitchen, my DB and his GF had to use the bathroom. While I was waiting for the two of them, I was outside of the restaurant around the fountain taking some pics of the lights around the area for the light fixture that Sherry started on the DL Community Board. I didn't get a lot of light fixture pics from my past trips so this trip will also be a light fixture trip of getting unique light fixtures around the DLR.

When my DB and his GF are done in the bathrooms. We started to head on over to the WoD store since they want to see what kind of merchandise is available at the store. I asked if they wanted to go to any other stores while we walked back to the WoD store. But they didn't want to stop at the other stores.

On our way to WoD store and I took more random pics on the way to WoD.

Build-A-Bear store

On the way over to the WoD store, DTD didn't look that busy aruond 5pm. I was wondering where all the people were, but they could be at the park or inside the stores and restaurants for dinner.

View of the balconies of the GCH

We're almost at the WoD store

Now it's time to look through the World of Disney Store. My DB GF was so excited to go to the store and look at all the interesting items. I am so used to people in my group looking at the stores. But she was going through almost every part of the store back and forward to look for something very interesting. My DB was with her the whole time and I just walked around to look at specific items. I didn't want to buy anything right now since I don't want to carry it with me when I go to the parks later that day.

I took some pics of the characters inside the store while I was waiting for them.

Dumbo

Donald

Tigger and Piglet

Shelves of "Glow with the Show Ears" These ears are for the nighttime event which interacts with WoC and specific rides and places around the property. I already got a pair of Glow with the Show Ears from one of my friends who lives in LA and bought them for me. I was happy that I didn't have to buy the ears during the trip. But it would have been easier if I just got them that day.

Simba and Rafiki

Goofy

I met up with them and they found a Nightmare Before Christmas tie which had Jack Skellington face on it. She really liked it a lot since they are going to a wedding next month and the bride is a big fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas. So she will really like to see the tie that my DB will be wearing. I didn't get a picture of the tie but it looked very nice. I used my AP to help them save some money. The original cost for the tie was $17.99. With my AP and tax it was less than $15 so they saved about $4.

After we finished shopping at the WoD store, we head on back through the esplanade. While we walked through the esplanade, I was about to head to the park while my DB and V went back to the room. Since they didnít have multiple days on their PH tickets, they went back to the room and do something that night. They told me that they might go shopping in Anaheim and use the car. So we parted from the esplanade and Iím on my way to the parks.

First I was going to go to DL for the fireworks that Monday night, but I had some time to go wonder around before the fireworks. When I looked at the turnstiles at DL, they were almost towards the monorail track. So I head on over to DCA before I head on over to DL.

When I went through the turnstiles, I looked at the former entrance to DCA while BVS was under construction. Now we just see a wall hedge that was once the entrance to DCA.

When I was right by the flag pole which had the rededication speech of DCA, I got to see the Rededication Time Capsule Plaque. I didnít get to see it the last time I was at DCA.

Now I got to see the rededication plaque.

Now I got those two plaques, I was on my move to get a lot of different pics of BVS with my new lens and filter. The new lens and filter works really well.

BVS was quite busy that day and it was way busier than the last time I was there which was the preview before it was open to the public.

Thatís it for this post and I will have more from DCA.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #2210
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Nice pics in this update. Are the Glow Ears worth getting?

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #2211
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice pics in this update. Are the Glow Ears worth getting?
Thank you Angela. In my mind I think they are worth getting even though it costs $23.20 without the AP discount. The ears light up specific colors during each scene during WoC which is neat. Have you seen the show with all those ears during a WoC show. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxkr...ure=plpp_videoMy DB and his GF thought they were neat that the ears interact with the show. I didn't see too many people that wore the ears on Tuesday night, but it was neat to see the ears light up during the show. I also heard that the ears interacts with Mad T Party as well as Cars Land. I read on a post that the ears will be part of F! in the future. I am hoping that they will do a special event for F! with those ears.

There was a AP event in late June where the AP holders get to see a private viewing of WoC and also get a Glow with the Show ears which they showed a lot of people with those ears and interacts with the show. I was thinking of going to that event, but I couldn't leave for a short trip just to get the ears. Even though I would love to be there during that event, I am still happy to wear my ears during the show on Tuesday night.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #2212
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Thanks Brett. That looks cool, I think we'll pick up Ears for my DD and I. I'm not sure we can get the guys to wear them.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #2213
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Love the pics, where did they go shopping? What is BVS? Not up on all the terms. Can't wait for more.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #2214
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Brett. That looks cool, I think we'll pick up Ears for my DD and I. I'm not sure we can get the guys to wear them.
Your welcome. I will be looking forward to hear from you if you do get the Glow with the Show Ears during your upcoming trip next month. If you show them that video of the ears they might like to wear them at night especially while you watch WoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Love the pics, where did they go shopping? What is BVS? Not up on all the terms. Can't wait for more.
Thank you Jo. They went shopping at the World of Disney Store which I was in the same store with them but I just went around looking at the stuff and taking some pictures. BVS is Buena Vista Street. That is the new land at Disney California Adventure. It is like the Main Street of Disneyland. I got to remember just like what Alison said about the acronyms. I will have the next update tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2215
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Bret - Your pictures look great. Glad the lens and filter worked out for you.

You sound like you had a great day. The food looks tasty, and the shopping sounds right up my alley. Wish I were there to shop as well.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #2216
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Bret,
The pictures with your new lens and filter look great . It is hard to believe that hedge used to be the entrance to DCA.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2217
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Bret - Your pictures look great. Glad the lens and filter worked out for you.

You sound like you had a great day. The food looks tasty, and the shopping sounds right up my alley. Wish I were there to shop as well.
Thank you PiO.

Monday was very nice. I didn't go on any rides that day which I barely go on any rides the day I get to Anaheim. The food at Ralph's Brennan Jazz Kitchen was very nice. I only do little shopping since if I stay in a store for a long time, I will want to get this or that. Luckily I didn't buy anything that day and just looked around. My DB GF could easily be in that store for hours to get something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
The pictures with your new lens and filter look great . It is hard to believe that hedge used to be the entrance to DCA.

TK
Hi TK.

Thank you. The new lens and filter makes the pictures look even better. Glad that I bought these before my trip and got to test it out when I was at the California State Fair. Can't believe that the hedge used to be the entrance to DCA and now are being used for nothing.

The next post will up shortly.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #2218
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 3

Day 1 Ė August 13, 2012Ė Part 3

I last left off at DCA where I am by myself after my DB and V didnít have multiple day PH tickets. They went back to the hotel room that day and will be doing other things that night. I have talked to them and they said that they will be going around Anaheim to a mall, GardenWalk or do some shopping. They will be taking the car. I had no problem with them taking the car so they can find something to do that day. It would have been easier if they went with me to the park that day, but they didnít want to spend money on an extra day to the park.

I left off at BVS while I walked my way up to Storytellerís statue. BVS did look quite busy that afternoon which was almost towards 6pm. It was about in the high 80s that day which was not that bad. It would have been worse if it was in the 100s that day like it has been in Sacramento ever since I got back home a few days ago.

Looking at BVS is so amazing with everything opened while I was there in June during the preview which only had partial things opened. The buildings look very nice as well as the Red Car Trolley going down towards past the Carthay Circle Theater.

It was nice to see the Red Car Trolley going down BVS. I didnít ride it that day since I wanted to get some pics around DCA until I head on over to DL for the fireworks that night.

I just canít get tired at looking at the Carthay Circle Theater.

There were quite a number of people heading on in the park as well as leaving the park. It was close to dinner time when I was at BVS. The crowds were not that bad as I have thought after looking at the crowd levels on touring plans website which should have been a 9/10. But it looked like a 7/10 in my opinion. But I wasnít at Cars Land which should be more crowded than BVS.

More pics around BVS including the light fixtures for the light fixture thread. Sherry, I know that I havenít been posting a lot pics of the light fixture lately, but I did get a lot of pics of the light fixtures at the resort this past trip and will have some up shortly.

The other side of the Carthay Circle Theater

While I was still in BVS, I finally got to see the Storytellerís Statue. It was so amazing to see the statue in person where I didnít get to see it during the preview in June which it was covered up until the opening day on June 15th.

On the right hand side as well as the left hand side are plaques for Storytellerís statue.

After looking at Storytellerís Statue, I head on over to Cars Land. On the way over to Cars Land, I got more different pics on the way. It was nice to not see any of the construction walls that were at BVS ever since the construction started a while ago.

A few pics of the light fixtures around BVS

While I was walking, I saw that people had the Cozy Cone souvenir cups at the Cozy Cone Motel. After hearing from other reports that the cones were sold out all summer long, I was surprise to see some that day.

A look at GRR from the back side

The Official FP Distriution for RSR sign which is already done for the day. I have heard that the FPís for RSR are all gone by 9:30am in the morning. So only 1 Ĺ hours a day, the FPs for RSR were already gone. I have heard that guests have been waiting since the park opens at 7am for the APEE and EMH guests. I will be doing the same thing on Tuesday where I will be in the park during my APEE. I will get to that on my update on Tuesday morning so it will be awhile until I get to that post.

Iím almost their towards Cars Land entrance. A few months ago, Cars Land was all covered up with hedges which no one was able to see the park during the preview. It was nice to see the new land without the hedges.

It was nice to go through the main entrance to CL instead of going through the side entrance which was through A Bugís Land or Pacific Wharf.

The Cars Land sign which I didnít see in June was that it was covered up until it was open.

Cars Land didnít look as crowded as I thought when I entered. There were some people walking down the streets of Radiator Springs.

I passed through Materís Junkyard Jamoree and the wait time was not that bad that day. I didnít get a picture of the wait time, but the line was short that afternoon and saw that it was about 15 minute wait to get on MJJ.

Sargeís Surplus Hut sign

When I was around the Cozy Cone Motel, it started to get a little busy around the area.

Thatís it for this post and there will be more from Cars Land.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #2219
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

It's too bad that your DB and his GF didn't want to spend the extra money but I think you made great use of your solo time so far. The pictures are just gorgeous and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself taking it all in without having to worry about someone else's schedule.

Looking forward to the next update.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #2220
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Nice pics! I can't wait to see all this for myself soon.

D

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: