Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #1951
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Another great update . I love that you shared your overall impressions of CL and BVS. It is so impressive in picture and video I can only imagine what it looks like in person.

I hope you go again in August. You haven't seen the partners statue yet have you?

I'm trying to talk my family into going to DL next August and perhaps attend the D23 Expo at the same trip. Right now Star Wars Weekend at WDW is winning....

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #1952
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the trip report...you have some great photos of the little details that make DLR so great. What kind of camera do you use? The shots were lovely and clear. Nice job!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2002, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #1953
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

You're right. Ornament Valley looks awesome. Great recap. Other than the popcorn line, I think your first day sounded awesome. Glad you got your souvenirs. Sorry Flo's had a long line and you missed eating there.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1954
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Just catching up on your wonderful posts, descriptions and pictures. Fantastic to see it from your perspective and that popcorn looks great. Not sure if I would wait 45 minutes to get a bucket...but I think I would queue 45 minutes to get my hands on that adorable cone drinks container.

Was it my imagination...but everything looked really....orange??

Those pictures with the different colour effects and the B&W turned out great. You must be very pleased with your photos from this trip.

Roll on MORE.....night shots....and another trip in August.
Thank you PiO. The flavored popcorn was great, but the wait time wasn't worth it. In CL they do have souvenir popcorn bucket which is Lightning McQueen which is neat. I didn't buy it on Saturday, but I did buy one on Sunday which was worth it. There were four stands at the Cozy Cone Motel which sells the souvenir cups, but there were also CM's that had the souvenir popcorn bucket and cup so people don't have to get in line for those two items. If I knew that all along, I didn't have to get in line for the souvenir drink.

I used the one touch color on my DSLR at the Cozy Cone where you only see orange.

I was very pleased at the photos that I took during the preview. I wish that I had more time to take more different photos like the B&W plus one touch colors at different parts of CL & BVS. But we only had a few hours to enjoy it so I should be happy how it went. I know that we talked about this awhile ago just as I was about to go for my trip that Disney almost didn't let anyone take pictures or video during the preview.

Right now, it is all talk right now and not legit if my DB wants to go on that day. He is trying to look for cheap 3 day PH tickets at DL and right now the cheapest we have seen so far is $245.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Another great update . I love that you shared your overall impressions of CL and BVS. It is so impressive in picture and video I can only imagine what it looks like in person.

I hope you go again in August. You haven't seen the partners statue yet have you?

I'm trying to talk my family into going to DL next August and perhaps attend the D23 Expo at the same trip. Right now Star Wars Weekend at WDW is winning....

TK
Thank you TK. I haven't give my full impression of BVS so I will do that on another post. It is so amazing in person then by video or pictures. You got to see it in person to see what it is all about.

It would be nice to go in August, but that week that they are thinking of going is during the summer season and it should be crowded. At least it isn't during the time when the SoCal AP's are unblocked which would make it a nightmare with all those crowds. If you are talking about "Storytellers" statue at BVS, then yes I didn't see it since it was all boxed up during the preview. So when I go back to BVS, I got to get some pictures of the statue.

You should try to convince your family to go to DL during the D23 Expo next August. The expo is so amazing with all those exhibits and possibly get to see some movie stars at the expo. This will be the third expo next year and we are still planning on going to it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly123 View Post
Thanks so much for the trip report...you have some great photos of the little details that make DLR so great. What kind of camera do you use? The shot were lovely and clear. Nice job!
Thank you for checking out my TR. I use a Nikon D5100 Digital SLR camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
You're right. Ornament Valley looks awesome. Great recap. Other than the popcorn line, I think your first day sounded awesome. Glad you got your souvenirs. Sorry Flo's had a long line and you missed eating there.
Ornament Valley does look good when you come from Pacific Wharf or leaving PW. Thank you Kim. The preview turned to be worth the extra $100 that we spent to enjoy CL & BVS that Saturday. We only got part of our souvenirs that day and we mostly bought all of our souvenirs on Sunday which I will get to that in the posts later on. It's no problem that Flo's V8 was long, but we will try it one day when we go back to Anaheim.

I will have the next post later today.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #1955
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 22

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 22

After a great day at the preview of CL & BVS. We finally got to be in our room at BWAI. We were hoping that we got in early that day and check-in. But the hotel wasn't ready that morning so we check-in around 5:15pm.

So when we put all of our stuff in the room, we got our bags all ready for the nighttime at DL. I was planning on going to DL to take pictures of Magical fireworks that night. I was going to use the fireworks technique where it shows the whole picture of the fireworks. Thanks to PrincessInOz for helping me on the tips for the fireworks, I have been exciting to try it. Even though it is Magical which is no where near better then RDCT, I wanted to see how the pictures turn out that night.

I brought my usual stuff in my bag like I always do for the nighttime shows. As for you past readers, I always bring a blanket for the marking of the area, tripod so the video won't be wobbling. But this time is is for the camera so the pictures won't be blurry. I mostly use the video camera for the videos, but this time it will be used for the camera.

We head on out of the room around 5:30pm and we decided to head on over to the ESPN Zone so we can watch the NBA playoffs as well as the Stanley Cup Finals. I was really worried that we won't get in since there will be a lot of people that are watching the Stanley Cup that night.

We had to walk through the Esplanade in order to head on over to the ESPN Zone. The area around the esplanade was quite not that busy around that time. It was a beautiful day where the sky was clear and it wasn't hot. But we always bring our jackets or long shirts just in case that all of a sudden when it gets dark it will be cold at night.

When we got to the ESPN Zone, we were hoping that there will be any seats left during the games. Unfortunately, there weren't any tables available and the next one that would be available is 2 hours which the game will be over. So we just left and didn't bother waiting. I should have got a reservation at the ESPN Zone that night, but I didn't think that the Celtics and Heat would have a game 7 and the Stanley Cup finals between the LA Kings and the New Jersey Devils.

So our second option of having dinner is at Lucky Fortune Cookery. This is the counter service restaurant that my DA and I always eat when we go to the DLR. We have been going to the LFT ever since it opened back in 2009 and have gone ever since.

While we were walking down DTD, it started to pick up with more and more people coming to the park.

We entered DCA through the main entrance and head on back to BVS during the preview. Luckily, we could go towards BVS for the whole day since we are here for the preview. More pics from BVS while we were walking towards the Pacific Wharf.

BVS was not as busy as it was when we left earlier that afternoon.

Monorail Mandy or Blue what I would call it passed over the new bridge of BVS. We will see plenty of these pics in the future.

I mention to my DA if she wanted to have dinner at Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe, but she wanted to eat at LFT.

We exited BVS and on our way towards Pacific Wharf.

When we got to the Pacific Wharf, there were guests waiting to get in for the CL preview at 6pm. The line was almost towards the Pacific wharf Cafe. Luckily we didn't come from that side and went towards ABL. We got our dinner at LFT. My DA got the teriyaki chicken bowl while I got the beef teriyaki bowl. When we were about to eat, my DA wanted to go back to the room and watch the rest of the NBA finals and Stanley Cup finals. So she went back to the room while I ate at LFT.

After finishing my dinner at LFT, I still had plenty of time to head on over to DL so I can get my spot at the Hub for the fireworks. In the meantime while I am still in DCA, I decided to go over to HPB and see the Mad T Party set and see if it is interesting or not. What am I kidding, I was not interested in the Mad T Party before I see it in person which is another nighttime party event just like Electronica and Glow Fest. But at least I should go down there to see what it is like.

When I got to HPB, it was not as crowded.

The entrance to the Mad T Party which is in the direction towards Monsters Inc. My first impression of Mad T Party that it looks so colorful way better then Electronica and have so many great details of the stage, sets, and buildings to match AiW world. I mean no offense to the people who like Mad T Party or those nighttime parties at DCA the last few years, I just don't like these kind of events at a Disney park where it should be fun and exciting.

Right at the House of Cards which is a stand where they sell alcohol, they also had air hockey right by the building.

The former Flynn Arcade building which is used for arcades as well.

After observing Mad T Party, I decided to head on out of DCA and over to DL for the fireworks.

When I observed Mad T Party, it looked so colorful and the costumes of the CM's that were out there were neat and colorful. But I don't like those kinds of events so I don't plan on seeing Mad T Party for the rest of my stay during my trip.

I head on back towards BVS to go through the streets of BVS so I don't have to go through the back side of Soarin. While I was in BVS during the preview, I did get some more little details of BVS when I was walking out of DCA.

Some flowers right by the Elias & Co. store

I am out of pictures for this post and I will be back later tonight with more from DL.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #1956
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 23

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 23

I left off at DCA BVS during the preview where I was about to head on over to DL for Magical fireworks. It was a great day to watch the fireworks at DL after a long day at DCA during the CL & BVS preview.

On the way out of BVS, I had to get a couple of pics of the lights & flowers around BVS. After going through BVS I had to get some up close pics after showing regular size pics of BVS.

Lights right by the side entrance of Elias & Co store

More pics of the flowers beds right by the Elias & Co Store

Now I started to head on out of BVS and over to DL. But on the way out I got a few more pics until I come back tomorrow with more.

Carthay Circle Theater art work on the side of the building

A look at Oswald's store

I left BVS and now out of DCA and over back at the Esplanade and over to DL. I haven't been to DL all day today after being at the preview. So I knew that DL was going to be crowded today after a long day at DCA. I was also going at one of the worst times to the park since Mickey's Soundsational Parade was going on around 6:30pm so I knew that it was going to be crowded at MS TS.

The esplanade didn't look that crowded

Now I am over at DL around 6:40pm and I knew that Soundsational was running so it's going to take some time to head on over to the Hub in order to get my spot for the fireworks. I know that I'm going to get a spot that early for the fireworks which people always say that it isn't worth it even though if the fireworks is canceled due to high winds, I always like to get the best spots in order to get good video or pics. But this time was even special due to the fireworks special effects.

The Lily belle looks great as always

At MS TS, there were hundreds of people in the rope off area watching the 2nd show of Soundsational at 6:30pm. Good thing that I am not planning on seeing Soundsational since I have seen it a lot of times. Just only 3 times, but I seen it on my videos when I am home and want to watch something at DL.

I had to wait for awhile right by the Mad Hatter store since I have to cross the street where the floats are coming out of MS TS.

I see that they put up a tarp right right at Cafe Carnation so that guests won't see the construction. I have been looking forward to seeing what CC looked like, but we won't get to see it this trip since it will be open a couple of days after we leave DL.

Instead of going towards the Hub when the parade is going on, I thought I head on over to TL to see what the lines do look like around TL.

When I got to TL, Astro Orbiter, ST and BLAB are always long at this time during the day. AO was at 25 minutes while BLAB was around the samething while ST at 30 minute wait which is not a normal time for being that long. There were a lot of people around TL during the parade.

I head on over to ST to get a FP since I like to collect FP's. When I got my FP for ST, I got little bit more tickets on my FP for ST. I was wondering what it was but then I saw that it was for the Glow with the Show Ears AP screening at the end of this month. This is a good way to tell the AP holders about the screening on the 28th to 30th. Since I already got my ticket for the GLow with the Show Ears ticket, I didn't need to head on over to the ticket booth and get my time.

After getting the FP at ST, I head on over back to the Hub to get my spot for the firework. I usually get a front row spot in front of SB castle for the fireworks. Since it ws still too early, I thought I go over to the Matterhorn to see what it looks like that day.

It was so amazing to see the Matterhorn as iti s right now after it's long refurbishment. It was about 6 months since the Matterhorn was closed just to add new bobsleds and those ugly railings just because of safety. It doesn't look the same without the railings on the ride.

There were running the bobsled on the track as you can see from the picture

I started to head on back to the Hub to get my spot for the fireworks and that will be told on the next post. So stay tune later tonight as I show my pictures of Magical fireworks.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #1957
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Catching up....and hey! Thanks for the mention!
Hope you had fun with taking firework trails!

More great pics. And nice to see the Matterhorn without scaffolding again.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #1958
kylie71
Can't wait for more!
I love mexican food, sooo Much!

I just got caught up, Thanks for doing a great trip report!

Lori
kylie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #1959
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Catching up....and hey! Thanks for the mention!
Hope you had fun with taking firework trails!

More great pics. And nice to see the Matterhorn without scaffolding again.
Hey there PiO. I'm glad that you caught up and here is the part of the TR that you were looking forward to which is the pictures of the fireworks. I would guess that you already saw the pics on flickr, so I hope you enjoy seeing them again.

It was really fun to take pictures of teh firework trails that night and hope to do it again in a future trip. It might be in August or November guarantee during the Holiday trip.

Thank you. It was nice to see the scaffolding down on the Matterhorn, but I didn't like the safety rail guards which the original Matterhorn didn't have. It is for safety when the ride breaks down and they need to evacuate the guests from the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie71 View Post
I just got caught up, Thanks for doing a great trip report!

Lori
It's nice to see you Lori to check up on my trip report. Thank you very much and glad that you are enjoying it.

The next post will be up shortly so stay tune.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #1960
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 24

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 24

After looking at the Matterhorn from MS side, I head on over to the Hub for the Magical fireworks at 9:30pm.

When I got to the Hub, there was only a few people that were waiting for the fireworks. I believe it was around 7:00pm when I got to the spot. It was 30 more minutes then I wanted to get my spot, but I knew that if I came back around 7:30pm, I would not have a curb side spot for the fireworks. Good thing I did that or I wouldn't have a great spot to take pictures that night.

People would say that it isn't worth it waiting that long for the fireworks, but when you take videos and pictures you always like to have it without any heads in the pictures so I really take pride in those accounts when videotaping the nighttime shows at the Disney parks.

While I was waiting, I set up my blanket as well as the tripod. I just brought one tripod so I can only use it for my DSLR camera so there was no video for this time.

I just kept waiting until it was time for the fireworks at 9:30pm. Close to 8:00pm, the whole area including the street viewing area in front of SB castle started to fill up and it was all filled up around 8:30pm. Sometimes during the slow or regular season at DL, you can get a front row spot of SB for the fireworks 30 mintues until the fireworks. But during the summertime, it adds another 30 minutes due to the crowds. But this time, it was already filled up with 1 1/2 hours until the fireworks.

A few times while I was waitng for the fireworks, a lot of families try to force their way in so they can see the fireworks. I have done this over and over again in the past and tell people that they should get there early in order to get a good spot to see the fireworks. These people got to learn that you have to be here early in order to get a spot and you can't just come at the last second and see the fireworks from a great spot.

SB Castle looks great at night, but it is way better during the Holiday season when it is decorated

When the CM's started to tell the guests to stand up for the fireworks just about 15 mintutes. One of the guests behind me right at the bench area was very upset and said that everyone should sit down for the fireworks. But for people that watch the fireworks at any Disney parks know that you have to stand up so no one gets hurt when they move around. Some people say why do I have my tripod all the way up when people are sitting on the ground, I always tell them that you will have to stand up no matter what or have to see the fireworks with people's headin them.

Now it is time to show everyone Magical firework trails that I took that night. This was the first time I am taking pictures of the fireworks with the firework technique. I was so excited that I didn't have any heads in the pictures for the fireworks. I also used a remote control so I didn't have to push the button on my camera to take photos since it is on the tripod.

For the settings on the camera while taking pictures of the firework trails that night, I went with ISO 100 and the aperture at f/9.0 and set the shutter speed at 4-6 seconds. This was the first time I tried it so I am hoping that the firework trails will be very nice. I tried to test it on my videos when I was hope and they were really blurry. So I hope that the fireworks in person will make it better.

So enjoy the pics of Magical firework trails. If you have not seen Magical you can check out my video of Magical that I videotaped last year during Memorial Day weekend. Magical Fireworks at Disneyland 5/27/11

Some of the pictures were a little blurry, but most of them turned out good.

You can see Tink flying in the sky and leaving a trail

That's it for this part of the fireworks and I will have more later tonight.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #1961
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Bret - Great firework shots!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #1962
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 25

Quote:
Bret - Great firework shots!
Thank you PiO. I wanted to get some more impression from you of what do you think of the fireworks. I did follow the instructions that you provided on the thread to go with ISO 100 and set the aperture at f/9.0 and shutter speed at 4 to 6 seconds. Some of them turned out well and some didn't.

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 25

Back to more pics from Magical fireworks with the firework trails.

You can see Dumbo from the trail during the fireworks.

That's it for tonight and I will have more pics from Magical fireworks.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 06-21-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #1963
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great firework pictures!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #1964
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Great firework pictures!
Thank you TK.

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 26

Now back to Magical fireworks with the firework trails.

I will be back with more later tonight.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #1965
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 27

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 27

More pics from Magical fireworks with the firework trails

After Magical was over, I packed up all my stuff and started to go on over to the TIki Juice Bar to get a nice Soft Serve Dole Whip after a long day at the parks. Most of the guests that watched Magical around the Hub and MS started to head on over to Frontierland to head on over to the RoA for the 2nd show of F!. But I had to go through that way since they wouldn't let any guests in Adventureland side since that is the exit for the guests who watched the first show of F!.

I head on over to the Tiki Juice Bar and I only had to wait for 5 minutes to get my Dole Whip Soft Whip. I always like to get a nice soft serve everyime I go to DL at night to conclude my night.

After getting the Dole Whip, I started to head on out of the park while it was still busy that night when the fireworks was over. I was originally planning on seeing MMY that night, but I was kind of tired from that whole day and didn't get any rest from the driving and going to the preview that I decided tocall it for the night.

I got back to the hotel around 10:30pm and that concludes my day at the DLR.

This was a day trip that I will never forget in a long time since we were there for a preview of CL & BVS before it was open to the public.

We got to enjoy BVS during the preview and got to see it going back and forward to the entrance and at the Carthay Circle Theater. It was very nice to go to BVS while there was barely any people during the preview. I wish that the Storyteller's statue would be revealed during the preview. But I will get the chance to see it in the future.

CL was so amazing as I have said it back and forward again and again on the threads.

I already said those thing on my previous posts, but I'll say it again that CL & BVS are so amazing.

Even though my DA didn't come with me to watch Magical that night, it was nice to see watch it and take pictures of the firework trails that night. The whole day was a great success and one of the best times I have ever gone to the DLR.

The next day which is Sunday will be another AP preview but this time it will be at nighttime. I am really looking forward to see Radiator Springs at night with the neon lights all light up at night.

That's it for Saturday and the next day is going to be exciting.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: