Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #1891
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I was posting the comment above as you posted this, so I am glad you pointed it outt on the other thread. Great start to the trip. How nice that BVS was open and before your 1pm start time. While that was a nice surprise, I agree with Sherry that cast members should have done a better job announcing that. I feel badly for people who wasted their Carsland time there only to find out it was open to people with wristbands all day.

That said, I am in awe of how beautiful BVS is. It looks so different right down to the bridge. I cannot wait to see it. Sorry your room was not ready. That would have made things easier.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #1892
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great update(s) Bret. Loving the pics.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #1893
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I want to and we would most likely get the Premium if we did, so we can have free parking and unlimited admission. It is not likely in the budget for this trip though. We'll see how it goes. Six people dropped out of lunch yesterday and today. At almost $40 a person (with tax and tip), that will save almost $240. I went from 38 to 32. I know there will probably be a group who decides to come at the last minute though. Crap started a new job in February, so three day trips after this one are unlikely. I would plan lots of drives up on Saturday early morning and do close to a full day then, drive back on Sunday after a half day in the parks. We would only need a hotel for one night each trip. If we did it too often though, Crap would be exhausted every Monday at work.
The premium AP does make a big difference over the DAP and SoCal AP's. Not only the parking and unlimited access to the parks, but also the merchandise and food discount. At least the price for the lunch at WCT is shrinking so you can save a little money. It would be nice to go up once in awhile since you are closer then me. I would do that a lot, but gas is getting too expensive as well as hotels. Hopefully everything will be great when you go next week.

Quote:
I was posting the comment above as you posted this, so I am glad you pointed it outt on the other thread. Great start to the trip. How nice that BVS was open and before your 1pm start time. While that was a nice surprise, I agree with Sherry that cast members should have done a better job announcing that. I feel badly for people who wasted their Carsland time there only to find out it was open to people with wristbands all day.

That said, I am in awe of how beautiful BVS is. It looks so different right down to the bridge. I cannot wait to see it. Sorry your room was not ready. That would have made things easier.
Thank you. It was great that BVS was open before our start time at 1pm. Just like Sherry I do agree that the CM should have done a better job announcing on the ticket that we can enter BVS anytime during the day. We could have easily used that time to enjoy BVS even more. But I was happy that we got extra time at BVS.

It's no problem with the room. Mostly when I check-in early at BW hotels at the DLR, the rooms are always ready. But since I was there on a Saturday morning instead of a weekday that most of the guests were still in the room and they weren't ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great update(s) Bret. Loving the pics.
Thank you PiO.

The next part of my TR is coming up shortly.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #1894
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 2

Now back from Buena Vista Street during the AP/D23/Club 33 & Disney CM preview of CL & BVS. On my last post of the trip report, I was so excited to enter BVS for the first time even though it is only a preview and everything isn't open officially. But it was amazing to see it in person and walked down.

My DA and I walked around BVS because our time for CL wasn't until 1pm so we had about 1 hour to enjoy BVS until it was time to head on over to CL.

It was really quiet at BVS

Elias & Co. which is the biggest store in DCA

Trolley Treats door

Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe

Inside the store

Side shot of the Elias & Company store

I will be back later with more.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #1895
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Everything there looks great. Seeing the nearly empty streets will probably be a vast contrast from when I go. Xander will be so excited to check out the new drawing acedemy building. I wonder if they changed the inside too. It looks so different like everything else. Is that even the same bulding it was in before? I love those cone cups. If they are not too expensive, I may get one of those.

I thought about the whole AP thing with the added discount. It would be nice to get it before lunch, so I can use it then. The problem is people are still leaving me hanging. I may not know how many people are dining with us until lunch time. If over 30 come, there is no way I can afford them this trip even with the added discounts from food and merchandise. With Xander starting kindergarten in the fall, I am double thinking the weekend trips anyway. I have less than a week to decide. Unless they back out, four to five of my diners have APs. Even though we are paying, can we have them use their APs to get discounts off their food? It seems silly to pay full price for their meals wheh they have APs. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #1896
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Wow! Great photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post

Now back from Buena Vista Street during the AP/D23/Club 33 & Disney CM preview of CL & BVS. On my last post of the trip report, I was so excited to enter BVS for the first time even though it is only a preview and everything isn't open officially. But it was amazing to see it in person and walked down.

My DA and I walked around BVS because our time for CL wasn't until 1pm so we had about 1 hour to enjoy BVS until it was time to head on over to CL.

It was really quiet at BVS

Elias & Co. which is the biggest store in DCA

Trolley Treats door

Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe

Inside the store

Side shot of the Elias & Company store

I will be back later with more.
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #1897
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Everything there looks great. Seeing the nearly empty streets will probably be a vast contrast from when I go. Xander will be so excited to check out the new drawing acedemy building. I wonder if they changed the inside too. It looks so different like everything else. Is that even the same bulding it was in before? I love those cone cups. If they are not too expensive, I may get one of those.

I thought about the whole AP thing with the added discount. It would be nice to get it before lunch, so I can use it then. The problem is people are still leaving me hanging. I may not know how many people are dining with us until lunch time. If over 30 come, there is no way I can afford them this trip even with the added discounts from food and merchandise. With Xander starting kindergarten in the fall, I am double thinking the weekend trips anyway. I have less than a week to decide. Unless they back out, four to five of my diners have APs. Even though we are paying, can we have them use their APs to get discounts off their food? It seems silly to pay full price for their meals wheh they have APs. Thanks again for all your help.
Hopefully it won't be that crowded at BVS when you enter DCA. I haven't been to the Animation building at HPB in quite some time. The outside of the building looks amazing after its refurbishment. If you are talking about the Atwater School of Art & Animation sign when I got at BVS, it is actually a prop sign where those names on the sign are actually Walt Disney's "Nine Old Men" which are the core group of Disney animators responsible for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs movie.

The Cozy Cone Motel souvenir cups at CL are very creative for a souvenir cup. There are two sizes, regular and large. The regular was $8.99 & the large was $11.99. Those souvenir cups are expensive, but they are so neat and I just had to get them.

The AP discount makes a big difference with the dining & merchandise discount. I have saved hundreds of dollars of merchandise and dining at the DLR & WDW. You are correct that it is a good idea to get if before lunch so you can save a lot of money at the WCT. This year going to the DLR might be really expensive, but there is a lot to do with CL & BVS open. I would assume that you can have a person in your group that has an AP and help you get a discount. I know for a fact when my DA paid with her credit card at the ESPN Zone and used my AP and we got the discount. When we had dinner at WDW last December, my dad & his friend got the discounts from the TiW that I have and they paid with there own credit cards and got the discount. I would be really shock if WCT won't give you the discount from another person who has an AP.

Hopefully this will help you when you go on your trip shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Wow! Great photos!
Thank you
Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #1898
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 3

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 3

Back with more pics from BVS. It was still around 11:45am and we just kept walking around BVS to get some more pics before it is our time to go to CL for our preview.

Candy Mountain

My DA wanted to go early on over to CL for the preview since it is around noon. I told my DA that we won't be allowed in CL until 1pm. But she wanted to see if we get lucky so we head on out of BVS.

We were told by a CM right at BVS to head on over to ABL to line up for the preview. There werer two entrances to CL from ABL and right by Pacific Wharf. Most of the guests were waiting right by Pacific Wharf so we head on over to ABL to line up for the preview.

When we exited BVS, it was nice to see the Carthay Circle Theater all wall down and it looks so amazing in person then in pictures.

BVS fountain

That's it for this post and I will be back with more.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #1899
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

More awesome pictures. Glad you found the CL entrance with the shorter line. Carthay Circle is lovely. It is the place on BVS I am most looking forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Hopefully it won't be that crowded at BVS when you enter DCA. I haven't been to the Animation building at HPB in quite some time. The outside of the building looks amazing after its refurbishment. If you are talking about the Atwater School of Art & Animation sign when I got at BVS, it is actually a prop sign where those names on the sign are actually Walt Disney's "Nine Old Men" which are the core group of Disney animators responsible for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs movie.

The Cozy Cone Motel souvenir cups at CL are very creative for a souvenir cup. There are two sizes, regular and large. The regular was $8.99 & the large was $11.99. Those souvenir cups are expensive, but they are so neat and I just had to get them.

The AP discount makes a big difference with the dining & merchandise discount. I have saved hundreds of dollars of merchandise and dining at the DLR & WDW. You are correct that it is a good idea to get if before lunch so you can save a lot of money at the WCT. This year going to the DLR might be really expensive, but there is a lot to do with CL & BVS open. I would assume that you can have a person in your group that has an AP and help you get a discount. I know for a fact when my DA paid with her credit card at the ESPN Zone and used my AP and we got the discount. When we had dinner at WDW last December, my dad & his friend got the discounts from the TiW that I have and they paid with there own credit cards and got the discount. I would be really shock if WCT won't give you the discount from another person who has an AP.

Hopefully this will help you when you go on your trip shortly.

Thank you
So much wonderful information here. I did assume that was the new art of animation building. It looked so different, I thought it moved. Now, I get it. That information about the 9 and the 7 dwarfs is new to me, so thanks for that too.

That is a little expensive, but that is a cool souvenir. I may get one too.

I was just planning on asking for an AP discount on their food. If I am able to use it for everyone else, that would be awesome! It is Crap's step-brother's family who had the APs. His Mom, sister and brother canceled this week, so I am wondering if he will too. If he does not, I will ask first if he minds, then ask the server. If he does cancel, than the amount I save from his family will probably be greater than the total discount for everyone else anyway. I hope they come though.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1900
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 4

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 4

Now back at BVS. The weather was still nice and not as hot in the afternoon. It was a bit cloudy that afternoon, but the weather was fantastic. BVS wasn't that busy with so many people, but there were a lot of people that went to the morning preview and came out one after another.

Carthay Circle Theater

This will be the exit sign for RSR. Even though it is right by ABL, it make sense to have the FP for RSR at the former ITTBAB FP area.

There were bush hedges blocking the entrance of CL. When it opens on the 15th which is today, this is the main entrance to CL.

Some posters of the attractions of CL

Future site for RSR FP until next year where the FP machines are right by the entrance of RSR

We head on over to the Blue Sky Cellar to see all the new updates to the room. The only new updates is relics of Radiators Springs which was neat to see pictures and certificates.

The video is just a show how Radiator Springs evolved over the years

We left the BSC and on our way back to BVS since it is still too early to head on over to CL. But that will be on the next post.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #1901
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
More awesome pictures. Glad you found the CL entrance with the shorter line. Carthay Circle is lovely. It is the place on BVS I am most looking forward to.

So much wonderful information here. I did assume that was the new art of animation building. It looked so different, I thought it moved. Now, I get it. That information about the 9 and the 7 dwarfs is new to me, so thanks for that too.

That is a little expensive, but that is a cool souvenir. I may get one too.

I was just planning on asking for an AP discount on their food. If I am able to use it for everyone else, that would be awesome! It is Crap's step-brother's family who had the APs. His Mom, sister and brother canceled this week, so I am wondering if he will too. If he does not, I will ask first if he minds, then ask the server. If he does cancel, than the amount I save from his family will probably be greater than the total discount for everyone else anyway. I hope they come though.
The Carthay Circle Theater looks very nice after it's finished. It is very nice to see it completed, but I am more interested to go inside and eat at the restaurant.

The Animation building still the place where you draw the Disney characters.

Those Cozy Cone cups are so nice.

I have never done that many people with an AP discount at 30. I know that it is about 8 people that would get the discount. So you need multiple AP holders to get the full discount on all the people. This is just my knowledge of getting the AP discount with the people that I have in my group. I had 7 people with me at WDW and got the discount. I don't know if they will let you have the discount with that many people. So you might want to call Disney and see if you get the AP discount with that many people when you have lunch at WCT. I hope that Crap step brother would still be coming to the event so you can save some money at WCT.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1902
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 5

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 5

After going around the BSC, we started to go back towards BVS to get some more pics until it is time for us to head on over to CL for our 1pm to 5pm time.

On the way towards BVS, we got more pics around the Carthay Circle Theater.

Now back to the fountain

Back with more pics from BVS

Another doorway towards the Elias & Co. Store

Big Top Toys

Mortimer's Market

I will be back with more tonight.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #1903
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 6

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 6

Now back with more pics from BVS. We are still in BVS until it is our time to go for our preview of CL at 1pm. The whole time at BVS is so empty and I could easily took over 1,000 pics of BVS alone if we spent more time. But my DA wanted to head on over to CL right by ABL entrance. So I still kept taking a lot of pics around the area until we head on out.

Los Feliz Five & Dime window display

Los Feliz Five & Dime doors

Chamber of Commerce as the Guest Relations and also the first Aid station

Elias and Company

A California Limited sign above the Mortimer's Market

The Red Car Trolley

Great signs and art work on the Sepulveda building

Locker area at BVS

Some flowers and plants in the flower bed right by the Red Trolley station

To be continue.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1904
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 7

Day 1 – June 9, 2012– Part 7

Back with more pics from BVS until it is time to head on over to CL.

Red Car Trolley

Oswald's store

Gas pump

Another shot of Los Felize Five & Dime sign

Lights right by the Guest Relations & First Aid station

hollymont Property Associates sign

Elias & Company building

Be back with more from the preview of CL & BVS.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #1905
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Bret - great detailed pics. It sure shows how much of an effort Disney went to. And they really did stick to the California theming. All those buildings have that California Spanish mission type feel to it. Thanks for sharing and taking so many pictures.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: