Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #1831
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Bret,
Either way you will have a wonderful time! If you can't take pictures the focus of the trip will change a bit but how wonderful for you and your aunt to enjoy the new BVS and CL! Sometimes I think without a camera I'd actually take more in.

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out You do such a good job with your trip reports that pictures are just a bonus. It will be fun to have you describe your experiences.

TK
You are right TK. I should try to enjoy the time being at CL & BVS during the preview. But I just can't see myself not being able to take pics of CL & BVS during the preview.

Thank you TK. I do appreciate it that you like my TR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Bret -

I saw that Mouse Planet update before I came back here to your thread.

By the way, the thing I saw on Mice Chat was not a whole thread about not taking photos. That's why you couldn't find it. It was a thread about something else, and someone asked IF they would be able to take photos in the thread.

Anyway, Disney handled this whole thing in a very sloppy way. First of all, the "free" preview for 6/11 could only handle about 10,000 AP holders. That's not many.

Then, there are all these mixed messages about the photos or no photos. One day there is NO indication the small print that photos are forbidden. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, they add in some bold print in the D23 description but not the AP description?? It makes no sense.

I wouldn't have compared Cars Land and Buena Vista Street to any other preview - these are basically the whole basis of the DCA "re-imagining" and are a huge deal, while other previews have just been for specific rides or events. I would have expected DCA to make a no-photo policy for everyone at every sneak preview, just to build suspense. It's just that if they planned to do that, they should have put it in the bold print to begin with, before anyone bought tickets!!

Anyway, I am very relieved for you. It looks like it will work out. If I had been in your shoes and had paid any money at all, let alone paid for 2 previews, I would be ticked off if I suddenly found out that no photos were allowed. I take photos when I go to the bank and to the grocery store - how do you think I would feel about taking photos of CL and BVS?!
Okay, that's why I couldn't find it on micechat.

Disney really messed up with the sneak peek of CL & BVS. They should have added more days for the free AP sneak peek. Only 10,000 lucky winners is very low especially with over 1,000,000 AP holders at the DLR.

Disney really needs to fix the descriptions on the D23 website. They are only doing is making people very upset when we get closer to the preview. You can't have one website saying that you can't take pictures while the other one doesn't have that information. It just creates confusion and chaos.

You are correct that they should put in bold that there was no photography or videotaping during the AP preview. I would not even buy a ticket to see CL & BVS without using my camera. I would have just gone on opening week if I knew about that.

Right now until I find out for myself that they are letting the AP holders use cameras and videotaping for the preview, I won't feel fully relieved. I am relieved for now, but they could change there minds tomorrow or on the day of the preview.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 06-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #1832
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Whether you get pictures or not, I am hope you have a great time, and I will still be excited to read it. You will be among the very first to see it. That is pretty awesome. Hopefully, you get to take them though.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #1833
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

No photos???

Thankfully, it seems all resolved by the time I caught up with the news.

Way.to.go.Sherry!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1834
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Whether you get pictures or not, I am hope you have a great time, and I will still be excited to read it. You will be among the very first to see it. That is pretty awesome. Hopefully, you get to take them though.
Thank you Kim. I should think the positives instead of having no cameras during the preview. I will be able to get pictures from the outside of CL & BVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
No photos???

Way.to.go.Sherry!
It's no problem PiO. It was hard at first, but it should be fine when we get there for the preview.

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #1835
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
No photos???

Way.to.go.Sherry!
I don't really know what that comment and the roll eyes icon ^^ is supposed to mean. I didn't do anything wrong. I had a sudden thought based on info that had already come out. I only asked Bret about it in his thread (I didn't ask the question anywhere else on the DIS), but he was not here to answer it right away. If someone learned of something that was potentially going to affect a trip I was taking, I would want to know about it right away! He was the only one I knew of who was going to be attending the previews for sure. Then the news began to evolve and change through the course of day.

Apparently lots of other people had the same thought that I had because there were questions on Mouse Planet, posts on Facebook and lots of calls directly to Disney about it. Disney gave mixed messages - first by not saying anything about photo limitations, and then suddenly adding in some bold print in the D23 info that had not been there at the beginning.

For the record, I was also interested in attending one of the previews this weekend (but had been keeping quiet about it until I got everything squared away) - and for me, that means not only buying a ticket for myself, but also finding a way to get down to Anaheim and back, which costs even more money. My sole reason to go through all that would be to take photos - that's the only reason. (I take photos all the time.) If I had paid the $50 before all the questions, confusion and chaos came up, I would have been really angry and frustrated that I had just wasted money. (At this point, I have kind of lost interest in going.)

So I was worried for Bret that he had possibly just plunked down all that money for 2 previews and might not be able to take the photos he wanted to take. I know he has been looking forward to the DCA expansion for years.

Thank the heavens that the photo restriction does not seem to be applicable to anyone but professional photographers! However, I still think Disney handled this whole situation very badly and seemingly caused a lot of confusion for people with their mixed messages.

My hunch is that Disney probably did not want any photos to be taken by anyone, at any of the previews, but because they neglected to include any text to indicate those restrictions up front, they backed themselves into a corner. Then they tried to sneak in the bold print - which people noticed - and they began to get bombarded with calls from angry people who had already bought tickets under the assumption that photos would be allowed. At that point Disney probably figured it would be too much trouble to try to stop both D23 and AP people from taking photos - unless they wanted to risk having annoyed guests storm the offices and demand refunds!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #1836
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I too was a bit baffled by the period accented 'way to go comment'. I am taking it as a complement to Sherry who wanted Bret to be prepared if photos were not going to be allowed. Much better to be fore warned!

I hope DISers feel free to let me know when they hear of changes that may affect my trip. That is one of the reasons the DIS board is so great. Now if they ever do enforce FB return times my family will have to change their touring strategy....much ado on the boards about that lately.

It's looking like everything is going to work out for Bret to be able to take pictures on his previews. Thank goodness. I think his pictures look professional but it's a good thing he's not in this case

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #1837
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I too was a bit baffled by the period accented 'way to go comment'. I am taking it as a complement to Sherry who wanted Bret to be prepared if photos were not going to be allowed. Much better to be fore warned!

I hope DISers feel free to let me know when they hear of changes that may affect my trip. That is one of the reasons the DIS board is so great. Now if they ever do enforce FB return times my family will have to change their touring strategy....much ado on the boards about that lately.

It's looking like everything is going to work out for Bret to be able to take pictures on his previews. Thank goodness. I think his pictures look professional but it's a good thing he's not in this case

TK
TK -

That's an excellent way to put it! ^^ His photos definitely look professional, but in this particular situation it's an advantage to not be a pro!

Thank you for understanding where I was coming from in trying to share info yesterday.

I'm still a bit confused by Disney adding in the bold print about the photos for the D23 people, but not the AP people. Aren't the D23 and AP folks going to have the same blocks of time to preview the DCA stuff? I don't know - I think someone in the Disney PR/media office dropped the ball somewhere along the line and didn't get the details fine-tuned before they put the tickets on sale. Hopefully next time there is a preview they will figure all of that mess out first!

Ah yes, the enforcement of the FP return times... I have only caught bits and pieces of those discussions here and there. There seem to be a lot of other controversial, hot button issues being talked about on the DIS lately!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #1838
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Princess LOVES taking pictures and has a witty (but not mean personality). I am with TK in thinking it was not an insult. The written word is open to interpretation when things are unclear, and only she can say for sure what she meant. A lot of people use that emoticon for singing, since that it what it looks like when it appears (even though it is named something else). I am guessing that she is grateful you gave Bret the heads up.

That said, if you do end up going Sherry, I hope you get to take pictures. I know Bret thought he would be able to take them, since there were no restrictions listed at first. Hopefully, they honor the fact that their was no initial disclaimer as you pointed out. I am so happy for anyone who gets to go to such an awesome event (Bret, Alison and maybe Sherry).

I appreciate you or anyone sharing information that may help someone. That is what the DIS is all about. Thanks for passing the info along.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #1839
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I understand why you brought this topic yesterday and I do appreciate it Sherry that you are telling me about the info on the D23 website saying no photography or video recording. At first I was disappointed about the no photography on the D23 website, but after I calmed down last night, I should just be happy to go for the sneak peek. I do appreciate it Sherry that you brought up this topic or I would have been going for the preview blind and found out that I couldn't take pictures at the preview. It would at least warn me when I get close to my trip and find out on the web sites and call Disneyland to make sure that we are allowed to take pictures and video during the AP & D23 preview. I would be really disappointed that when I get in the line for the sneak peek and all of a sudden they said no photography or videotaping, I would told them about that there was no details or no photography on the sheet.

Oh yeah speaking of preview, I read last night on twitter that since DCA didn't sold enough tickets for the AP/D23 preview on the 9th and 10th, I read that they will also make those days as a CM preview days. So not only with the AP & D23 members during the preview, now we have to be there with the CM's too. I don't really mind if the CM's are there during the preview. At least they are giving the CM's who couldn't go on the CM previews on the 6th and 8th to go on those days.

Hey Sherry, if you still want to go to the preview on Saturday or Sunday just PM me and I would have no problem picking you up at your house in SoCal and take you back after the preview. I have been looking forward to all these years to finally meet you in person and this could be a great time to do it.

We can tell when DL was going to do the preview for the AP & D23 members, they didn't want us to take pictures or video during the preview. I can understand why they don't want guests to do that. But they should have at least put it on both sites instead of putting it on the D23 website at the last minute. When I checked the D23 website before I purchased my tickets, it didn't say no photography or videotaping. Then all of a sudden they put it down on the D23 website but not the AP website.

I didn't call DL today to see if we can take pictures during the preview. I looked on twitter and under D23, it said that photography and video will be allowed during the preview. I am relieved that we will be allowed to take pictures and videotape during the preview.

I do appreciate it TK that my pictures look professional. I have never even took a photography class, but I have friends who are professional photographers and gave me great tips on how to use my camera. I also got to thank PiO for giving me some tips on the fireworks photography when we see Magical during this upcoming trip.

I am going to walk my dog and I will be back shortly to comment more.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1840
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

My peeps were mixed on the photography, at first they said yes, but then later maybe not on BVS.

Hopefully it is allowed.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #1841
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
I don't really know what that comment and the roll eyes icon ^^ is supposed to mean. I didn't do anything wrong. I had a sudden thought based on info that had already come out. I only asked Bret about it in his thread (I didn't ask the question anywhere else on the DIS), but he was not here to answer it right away. If someone learned of something that was potentially going to affect a trip I was taking, I would want to know about it right away! He was the only one I knew of who was going to be attending the previews for sure. Then the news began to evolve and change through the course of day.

Apparently lots of other people had the same thought that I had because there were questions on Mouse Planet, posts on Facebook and lots of calls directly to Disney about it. Disney gave mixed messages - first by not saying anything about photo limitations, and then suddenly adding in some bold print in the D23 info that had not been there at the beginning.

For the record, I was also interested in attending one of the previews this weekend (but had been keeping quiet about it until I got everything squared away) - and for me, that means not only buying a ticket for myself, but also finding a way to get down to Anaheim and back, which costs even more money. My sole reason to go through all that would be to take photos - that's the only reason. (I take photos all the time.) If I had paid the $50 before all the questions, confusion and chaos came up, I would have been really angry and frustrated that I had just wasted money. (At this point, I have kind of lost interest in going.)

So I was worried for Bret that he had possibly just plunked down all that money for 2 previews and might not be able to take the photos he wanted to take. I know he has been looking forward to the DCA expansion for years.

Thank the heavens that the photo restriction does not seem to be applicable to anyone but professional photographers! However, I still think Disney handled this whole situation very badly and seemingly caused a lot of confusion for people with their mixed messages.

My hunch is that Disney probably did not want any photos to be taken by anyone, at any of the previews, but because they neglected to include any text to indicate those restrictions up front, they backed themselves into a corner. Then they tried to sneak in the bold print - which people noticed - and they began to get bombarded with calls from angry people who had already bought tickets under the assumption that photos would be allowed. At that point Disney probably figured it would be too much trouble to try to stop both D23 and AP people from taking photos - unless they wanted to risk having annoyed guests storm the offices and demand refunds!
My apologies to Sherry and all. I didn't mean to cause any offence with my comment.

I was only expressing my own frustration at being so far away from Carsland and waiting in anticipation of pictures from Bret and Alison. And then I came on here and was suddenly hit with the thought that I wouldn't have pictures to enjoy and live vicariously. Now I have to wait with baited breath for a few more days to see if we get a picture stream or not. And I did appreciate the heads-up as the thought that photos would not be allowed never even entered my mind beforehand.

I do sincerely apologise.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #1842
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bret -

I'm in the middle of something at home right now, but I just wanted to sign in for a quick moment to reply to you.

Thank you so much for volunteering to get me for the preview and drop me off at home, which would be a major inconvenience for you and take up a chunk of your time. That is very kind and thoughtful of you, and I really appreciate it. You're a very nice person! Actually, I am constantly amazed at how nice and helpful so many of our DIS'ers are!

I'm really still on the fence as to whether or not I will catch one of the previews. I don't trust the photo situation 100% - but even if we are all allowed to take photos, now there is the question of whether or not we will even be able to see BVS during the preview, or if it will only be Cars Land. And because Cast Members will be included in our preview, as you mentioned, it will be even more crowded. So it sounds like, for $50, we might be seeing fewer things than we expected but with bigger crowds.

So I am torn on the issue. It may be a very last minute decision. I have already been in contact with Liza/funatdisney, and we were talking about heading down to Anaheim together IF we do the preview.

Originally I was just going to go by myself, as I can get many more photos that way. (I'm like a mad scientist at work in a lab - I have to have complete solitude as I work like a fiend in a tornado of photo activity!) But then I thought that Liza might be down there too and we would possibly run into each other.

We shall see... I may decide to scrap the whole preview idea and just wait until the grand opening madness to see DCA, or I may suddenly decide on the spot that I'm doing one of the previews. If you suddenly see hundreds of Mater photos go up in my TR (for only 4 hours of time), you'll know I was there in my mad scientist frenzy!!!

Thank you again!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #1843
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret -

I'm in the middle of something at home right now, but I just wanted to sign in for a quick moment to reply to you.

Thank you so much for volunteering to get me for the preview and drop me off at home, which would be a major inconvenience for you and take up a chunk of your time. That is very kind and thoughtful of you, and I really appreciate it. You're a very nice person! Actually, I am constantly amazed at how nice and helpful so many of our DIS'ers are!

I'm really still on the fence as to whether or not I will catch one of the previews. I don't trust the photo situation 100% - but even if we are all allowed to take photos, now there is the question of whether or not we will even be able to see BVS during the preview, or if it will only be Cars Land. And because Cast Members will be included in our preview, as you mentioned, it will be even more crowded. So it sounds like, for $50, we might be seeing fewer things than we expected but with bigger crowds.

So I am torn on the issue. It may be a very last minute decision. I have already been in contact with Liza/funatdisney, and we were talking about heading down to Anaheim together IF we do the preview.

Originally I was just going to go by myself, as I can get many more photos that way. (I'm like a mad scientist at work in a lab - I have to have complete solitude as I work like a fiend in a tornado of photo activity!) But then I thought that Liza might be down there too and we would possibly run into each other.

We shall see... I may decide to scrap the whole preview idea and just wait until the grand opening madness to see DCA, or I may suddenly decide on the spot that I'm doing one of the previews. If you suddenly see hundreds of Mater photos go up in my TR (for only 4 hours of time), you'll know I was there in my mad scientist frenzy!!!

Thank you again!
Your welcome Sherry. My DA, you and I would have a great time during the preview of CL & BVS. I just can't believe we are only less then 3 days away till the public get to see CL & BVS in person.

I am hoping that you will find some way to go to the preview on the 9th or 10th. That will be neat that you are still in contact with Liza and possibly going down there together for the preview. The D23 tickets are not available since the last day to purchase tickets was yesterday. The DL AP website are still selling the tickets while the D23 stopped selling them last night. At least the DLR announced that photography will be allowed during the preview. But the only thing that I am concern about the photography or videotaping will be RSR. We haven't seen any videos of RSR yet and I am thinking that they will not allow any videos on the ride. If that is the case, I have no problem with it since we will be able to take photos of CL & BVS during the preview.

When I heard about that DCA didn't see enough tickets to the AP & D23 members and also adding those days as CM previews with the public. It just made me realize that we have to plan out our days at the preview carefully since we don't know how crowded it will be. I would now assume that it will be like Monday for the preview.

I can see you going picture crazy when you are at CL & BVS just like all those great pictures you took for the Holiday season.

Thank you Sherry.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #1844
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Only three days?? YEAH!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #1845
SoCalKDG

DIS Veteran

Even though I'll be at the Grand Californian the end of July, I just signed up for the preview this Saturday night. Early fathers day gift from the family to me. So the 4 of us will be there to check things out early. Hope you have a great vacation.

1/13 AV(AULANI VILLAS)
7/12 VGC
2/11 VGC
6/10 VGC
2/10 BLT
6/09 BWV
12/08 BWV
5/07 BCV
1/06 BWV
4/05 BWV
9/04 HIFS

SoCalKDG is offline   Reply With Quote