Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Joining in ladies!
Hi Sarah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm joining in ladies. I know a few of you and a few of you I am happy to meet.

I'm very excited that you all get to have this trip together.
Hey LL! Welcome aboard and another exciting part of this trip for me is meeting you!

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 08-20-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Scrappie Hello's

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post
Am I first??? I think the is the first time I have been a "first reponder".

-Margaret
isn't that fun...silly how we get excited over those fun things...don't know if I've been first yet on a PTR/TR

welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I am excited for all of you!

It will be wonderful to get away and just be yourselves - not mom or wife or PTA person or teacher or nurse or whatever else you do out here in the real world. Just go and relax and have fun and be you, and in the process develop some special friendships. Sounds awesome to me!

And some Florida sunshine in the middle of winter sounds lovely, too.
I agree completly....just some time to be "girls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip and can't wait to hear all of the details!
Hi Carissa...we'll be right behind you in January..you get them ready for us

Quote:
Joining in ladies!

Quote:

we are too...it's amazing how quick it came to be....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Hey LL! Welcome aboard and another exciting part of this trip for me is meeting you!
I will admit, I squealed out loud when I read the dates.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

I am here too!! Many of my favorite ladies on the DIS are going to WDW together , I am so jealous and wish we were going to be there at the same time.

Kathy, Bill asked me your dates, I swear he loves to stalk you. He and I both adore you.

This is such a great opportunity for you to get to know one another even better, I admire all of you for doing this trip and I can't wait to read about the plans!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I'm joining in... I am so excited for you guys to have a moms trip!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Joining in! This is FABULOUS! I love that you ladies are all going on this trip! Can't wait for more!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

A little bit of planning...

Can you believe just under 2 weeks ago...I saw in my inbox an email from Amy...something about a propsition from Kathy...I had not been on the Dis yet so I wasn't sure what it was about...

I quickly logged on and went to my PM's and read w/ eager excitment about Kathy's idea for a trip in January...a few Spectrum Mom's and a book (Kathy can tell more)...

I emailed back Amy and went straight to opening more windows online to ckeck room rates and possible airfare...

then Amy calls me and I couldn't believe in my excitment I missed the part where Kathy offered to host in DVC

w/ an AP already bought for my upcoming November trip, room cost done as well...this actually looked doable.

Pm'd back Kathy

then up next was how to run this by DH and could I actually go...

I copied Kathy's PM into an email and waited ...his response was

"How much would airfare be?"

I figured I was golden...

less than 24 hrs later I was in 100% as was Amy...I didn't want to go w/out her

it was slightly bittersweet though as another dear Diser and friend MRYPPNS had to bow due to timing and a family trip she had planned for end of Feb '11

also during this Tracy realized she could go, irish dancer Anne Marie was invited and could go too...cool I have a travel partner now. ( I have actually never traveled by myself or flown by myself either...)

Kathy got the all clear from the "big kahuna" and up next was waiting for SW to open their fares just this past Tues and Amy's 6:30 am wake-up call for me....

we have sent a ton of pm's and now emails...and it is amazing how fast this has come together...

stay tuned for more

J~
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #24
moparop
DIS Veteran

That is just so so cool how it all came together! You all are an awesome bunch of ladies and deserve this and more!

And a book?? Kathy, you have me intrigued!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #25
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Scrappie's hello's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
On my phone so I'll have to edit my color later... But just wanted to say that was a great recap Julie!!! I feel the excitement all over again!!
I know...you & Tracy must tell about the airfare day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post
That is just so so cool how it all came together! You all are an awesome bunch of ladies and deserve this and more!

aww thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post

it was slightly bittersweet though as another dear Diser and friend MRYPPNS had to bow due to timing and a family trip she had planned for end of Feb '11

so hey all this might not be the case anymore.....
Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #26
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow Some More Background...

If you’re a regular on the TR/PTR boards, I don’t have to tell you that there are some pretty amazing people here! Some are moms, some aren’t. Some have kids on the Spectrum, some don’t. Some have been to Disney numerous times and others are planning their first trips. I’ve made some great cyber-friends here… a few of whom I’ve been lucky enough to have eventually met while vacationing at The World! (Shout-out to mrsksomeday, Yoda K, and Dreamer&Wisher.) But there is a special place in my heart for all the DIS-Moms with kids on the Autistic Spectrum. In addition to our love of Disney, we’ve shared the experience of guiding our children through the myriad of challenges they face every day. We’ve laughed and cried and rejoiced together as each family trip progresses from dream to reality to magical memory.

We have become friends.

And that is why it doesn’t seem so very odd, really, to find myself planning a Disney trip with a bunch of women I have never met!

But, I must confess, I have another reason for wanting to get together with these gals. They have agreed to help me with a crazy dream project of mine… writing a book!

About a year ago I began to think seriously about writing a book… a book about my family’s “Adventures in Autism” at Walt Disney World. I’ve had so much fun writing trip reports on the DIS and have been genuinely humbled and deeply gratified by the responses I have received from other DISers… particularly from other parents of children with Autism. What an incredible feeling it is to get a message saying that my little reports have helped someone gather the courage to take their autistic child to WDW! Or that something they learned from me helped them to enjoy their trip more than they ever thought they could! It’s well known that WDW does an amazing job accommodating the special needs of guests, but a person truly cannot understand the full scope of that until they read about other families like theirs who have experienced a hundred magical moments because of awesome, understanding Cast Members (and a hefty dose of good ole pixie dust!)

In any case, at the urging of family and friends I began planning “the book” in my head. But I soon realized that something was off. Sure, my family’s stories might be somewhat entertaining and informative… but they can’t really speak to all families on the spectrum.

Autism is known as a “spectrum disorder” because there are so many symptoms associated with it. Not all children with autism have all the symptoms, so it is often difficult to generalize (and even diagnose.) A person can be just a little autistic, or a lot autistic. When a person is a little autistic, or High-Functioning, it is commonly called Asperger’s Syndrome. If a person has more symptoms of autism or if the symptoms are more severe, it is commonly referred to as “classic autism.” (My Billy has classic autism.)

So I began to think that I really should include the experiences of several families with kids on the spectrum… one family just couldn’t tell the whole story! And that’s where my DIS-friends come in! Everyone coming on this trip has agreed to be part of Kathy’s Great Big Book of Adventures in Autism: Walt Disney World!!

(That’s not the actual title… but you get the idea.)

Hmmm. Perhaps that could be the title!

So you see, this is technically a “working vacation” for me. I can’t wait to get started on my research!

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 08-20-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #27
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Joining in!!!!

I recall reading about your book plans before Kathy, but this is more detail - and I think the book sounds FANTASTIC! What a great idea to get real life stories from other Mothers. Exciting work, plus friends, plus fun - sounds like a great trip in the making!!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Hey Julie! I didn't realize you were going along too. Awesome! When I saw the trip was going to be January I quickly checked the dates. January is my favorite month to visit WDW! You guys will have a blast.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow Kathy's Hellos

Wow! Old friends, new friends... this PTR is going to be so much fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
....It will be wonderful to get away and just be yourselves - not mom or wife or PTA person or teacher or nurse or whatever else you do out here in the real world. Just go and relax and have fun and be you, and in the process develop some special friendships. Sounds awesome to me! .....

Hi MeMom! You're absolutely right... if there's anybody who can use a little respite weekend its the mother of a special-needs child!

So glad you're here!

Quote:
Sounds like an awesome trip and can't wait to hear all of the details!

Hi Carissa! This feels like Old Home Week, doesn't it? So many wonderfully familiar names and faces!

Quote:
Joining in ladies!
Yay!! Come on in!! Glad to have you!

Quote:

Leslie!! We'll be there at the same time! What luck! We definitely must get together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I am here too!! Many of my favorite ladies on the DIS are going to WDW together , I am so jealous and wish we were going to be there at the same time.

Kathy, Bill asked me your dates, I swear he loves to stalk you. He and I both adore you...
Hi Tracy!! Tell Bill he is sweet! (Okay, you've probably already told him that several times today....) Your ticker designs are amazing and I'm afraid that I will have to ask for yet another change!! We have some "new additions" to our cast...to be named later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I'm joining in... I am so excited for you guys to have a moms trip!!!
Hi Tinkermom! And Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Joining in! This is FABULOUS! I love that you ladies are all going on this trip! Can't wait for more!
Hello, Melissa! With so many moms chiming in on this PTR, I'm sure more will be coming every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Joining in!!!!

....Exciting work, plus friends, plus fun - sounds like a great trip in the making!!!
Hi Brook! Glad you're here! Looks like both of us will be going to Disney after we didn't think it would be possible. It makes it that much sweeter, doesn't it?

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 08-21-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #30
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Scrappie's Hello's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post

Autism is known as a “spectrum disorder” because there are so many symptoms associated with it. Not all children with autism have all the symptoms, so it is often difficult to generalize (and even diagnose.) A person can be just a little autistic, or a lot autistic. When a person is a little autistic, or High-Functioning, it is commonly called Asperger’s Syndrome. If a person has more symptoms of autism or if the symptoms are more severe, it is commonly referred to as “classic autism.” (My Billy has classic autism.)

this is so true....as both of my twins are on the spectrum, but each w/ a different set of daily trials and sturggles and how they manage and cope is equally different...

as like any mother w/ multiple children will tell you...all their kids are different, personalities, temperments, likes & dislikes...but it's a bit more when your child lives each day w/ Autism...my DH & I still fumble over what works and doesn't work...we have some general umbrella rules for all of our 4 children and home...but in reality especially for the twins and our youngest...we have a different parenting technique for each...it can be exhuasting but w/ support, love and seeing how they are growing...being a Spectrum Mom is and can be rewarding

Everyone coming on this trip has agreed to be part of Kathy’s Great Big Book of Adventures in Autism: Walt Disney World!!

(That’s not the actual title… but you get the idea.)

Hmmm. Perhaps that could be the title!

hey I like it

Quote:
Hey Julie! I didn't realize you were going along too. Awesome! When I saw the trip was going to be January I quickly checked the dates. January is my favorite month to visit WDW! You guys will have a blast.
yep...I'm in on the fun and can not wait...this will be such an amazing trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: