Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Rapunzel29
Earning My Ears

Can't decide! Ft Wilderness Cabins or ASMU?

We are a family of 5. Our children are 9, 7, and 4. We have stayed many times in WDW but never at the Cabins or ASMU. We are torn between the 2. I know you can't go wrong in Disney and one of the worries I have about the cabins is it isn't quite magically looking, but so many people rave about them. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Rapunzel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

It depends. Will you have your own car? If you stay at the cabins will you be renting a golf cart to get around? If you answer is NO, then I think you should stay at ASMu. It is much simpler to get to the parks from there (from any other resort really) than it is to get to the parks from Fort Wilderness. At Fort Wilderness you first need to take an internal shuttle, then grab a bus or boat to the parks.
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
Rapunzel29
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It depends. Will you have your own car? If you stay at the cabins will you be renting a golf cart to get around? If you answer is NO, then I think you should stay at ASMu. It is much simpler to get to the parks from there (from any other resort really) than it is to get to the parks from Fort Wilderness. At Fort Wilderness you first need to take an internal shuttle, then grab a bus or boat to the parks.
That is another drawback for us. We won't have a car and honestly I don't want to shell out money to get around our resort. LOL
Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
scaudelle
Earning My Ears

All Stars. We always wanted to try the cabins and finally did but we felt to far away from everything. Not as magical.
scaudelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Rapunzel29
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaudelle View Post
All Stars. We always wanted to try the cabins and finally did but we felt to far away from everything. Not as magical.
I was worried about that too! My kids love the Disney Ultra Themes of the resorts as well. I think we will likely book ASMU and pay for the sit down dining plan.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
6loversofdisney
Mouseketeer

I think the cabins are nice as far as people who like a country feel or to feel like they're camping. As much as I love to camp, Disney is not necessarily the time I want to do it. I mean if I took my own camper maybe. Those cabins seem a little too small for us. Maybe they are the same or similar square footage but they just seem smaller. I really do like the convenience of jaunting around from place to place and I think it would be more challenging staying in those cabins. This isn't really based on anything as I have only stayed at ASMovies and then some moderates but I have never tried the cabins. Good luck making your choice

'84-My sister's graduation trip
'87-My brother's graduation trip
'90-My graduation trip
'94-Honeymoon
'03-ASMovies
'07-First trip w/ kids
'07-Single day trip (did all four parks)
'09-ASMovies (free dining)
'10-ASMovies (bounceback free dining)
'12-Off property
'14-AS Music (free dining) 11/14-11/28
6loversofdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Elmo888
"Cake is a sometimes food. Cake is a sometimes food." - Linda Flynn Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That has discouraged me from choosing FW cabins - extra cost!

We haven't stayed at FW cabins, but I just wanted to point out a few differences to consider. ASMU family suites have two bathrooms, which we found very helpful. Also, the setup is different. With ASMU, only two sleep in the bedroom, which is nice for parents and a little privacy. At FW cabins, it is flipped with four sleeping in the bedroom. You might find that you have a preference for one way or the other.

Have fun!
1/07 Wilderness Lodge - First time with DDs and our 10th Anniversary
1/01 Port Orleans
1/97 Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon
3/90 Treehouse Villas
3/86 Contemporary Resort
'74 - '76 Contemporary Resort/Offsite/Too young to remember details
Elmo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

When my children were young we stayed at the Ft Wilderness Cabins and we loved them. We have 3 children and they stayed in the bedroom. Oldest DS in the double and the other 2 in the bunks. They had a blast. We could put them to bed on the early side and DH and I had the livingroom to relax in.
I loved having the full kitchen. We had breakfast in and had cold drinks and snacks when we returned. We saved some money that way.
I love the boat to the MK.
We knew, going in, about the internal bus system. We just factored that into our plans. It worked out fine.
The overall theme and space at Ft Wilderness was wonderful
Old 05-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
tevagirl
Saving little old ladies from gun-toting maniacs
And I'm not picking, I'm adjusting
I always look to the disboards when seeking out answers to life's underwear questions

We've been coming to WDW for many years. We have stayed at CSR, POR, WL, Contemporary, POP and many many times at the one place that holds the magic for us...Fort Wilderness.

We love FW. Magic Kingdom is a boat ride away. Going down to the lake and watching the electrical water parade. Riding around the campground and seeing all the different campsites and how they're decorated. The smell of a campfire/BBQ. Sitting in the rocking chairs on the porch at Trail's End, people watching as the kids play at the nearby playground. Having coffee in the morning on our own deck at our cabin. The cabins themselves, much nicer ( to us) than a motel room. I like having the kitchen and the option to make breakfast in the morning before heading out. I like that the kids can take a nap or go to bed at night and you can shut the bedroom door and still have the rest of the cabin and deck to chill out in.

FW isn't for everyone but for us it feels like home.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
jazzyscoob
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at Polynesian, CBR, AOA suites, ASSp, ASMo, and Ft Wilderness Cabins. The cabins are at the top of our must do again list!

We are not a camping family at all but the fort is a vacation in itself. So much to do such as the Chip and Dale campfire, watching the water show, carriage rides etc. We didn't have a car or golf cart but found the internal bus service to be fine.

If you are spending all day in the parks and just using the resort to sleep I would stay at ASMu. The extra bathroom would be nice and quick walk back from buses. If you are going to have down time I would definitely give Fort Wilderness a try!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
AtlantaDisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

One thing I would consider that you did not mention is whether you will be on the dining plan, or whether you would prefer to save money by cooking your own food.

To me, one of the biggest draws of Fort Wilderness is being able to save money by cooking our own food in the cabin. The suites only have a kitchenette, which is not as conducive to cooking a family meal.

If I were going to be on the dining plan, I might be less inclined to stay at the cabins.

Another consideration might be how much time you plan on spending in the parks and how much you want to spend at the resort.

Our family loves riding bikes. We are bringing our own for our stay at Fort Wilderness and plan to spend a lot of our time enjoying the resort and riding bikes.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the parks and just need a place to lie down at night, Fort Wilderness may not be as special for you.

Good luck in making your decision!
AtlantaDisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
Cinderella1122
DVC member since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyscoob View Post
We have stayed at Polynesian, CBR, AOA suites, ASSp, ASMo, and Ft Wilderness Cabins. The cabins are at the top of our must do again list!

We are not a camping family at all but the fort is a vacation in itself. So much to do such as the Chip and Dale campfire, watching the water show, carriage rides etc. We didn't have a car or golf cart but found the internal bus service to be fine.

If you are spending all day in the parks and just using the resort to sleep I would stay at ASMu. The extra bathroom would be nice and quick walk back from buses. If you are going to have down time I would definitely give Fort Wilderness a try!
I agree we have stayed at almost every resort on disney property and loved the cabins at fort wilderness. It reminded me staying at my grandparents place in the mountains when I was a little girl. I would stay again. We are trying ASMU for the first time in a few weeks.

June 2014 - All Star Music
December 2014 - Saratoga Springs
June 2015 - All Star Music
December 2015 - Bay Lake Tower
Cinderella1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: