Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Annabell
Mouseketeer

points usage outside WDW ??

I am seriously considering buying into DVC but still have some doubts. The problem is that I am not very sure whether we will be definitely doing Disney every year ... also in view of the fact that Orlando is just not close to home and we need to consider flight cost too. So I have some questions regarding other usage of the points in case we can't make it to Orlando for whatever reason :
1) If we are going to use the points for Disney hotels other than the Disney resorts in Orlando, (e.g. Paris or Hong Kong) is there any fee associated with it ? I know pointswise it requires much more points but just wondering if there is any additional fees required for booking.
2) I know you can rent out your points.... is it easy to do so ? I read many threads about people offering points to rent and just wondering it may be a hard task to get the points rented out. Any experience on this front ?
Thanks in advance !
Annabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Yes there is an admin fee associated with points outside DVC as it's an 'exchange' in to a different program (be that regular Disney inventory or RCI timeshare) it's umm, hmm, I think currently $95 - I'll have to go poke around the DVC site and check that mind.

Can't help with renting as I've never done it myself, I've been led to believe it's fairly easy though - the DVC units are really quite popular.

There is another 3rd option which you've not mentioned but is worth considering. It's very easy to bank a years points or borrow the next years points. This means you could purchase a lower number of points on the assumption that you'll bank/borrow in order to pay for it. Effectively you could buy in to DVC with the intention of visiting only once every 2 years for example.
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

If you use your points anywhere outside the DVC resorts there is a $95 'transfer' fee. Also if you use your points for Disneyland Paris then you MUST buy length of stay park tickets, even if you won't get the opportunity to use them every day.

As Disneymad says you might want to consider buying the minimum number of points if you aren't going to use them every year. We bought 160 points with the intention of staying once every two or three years. With banking and borrowing that gives us up to 480 points to use on any one trip.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Annabell
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info.
Seems not a good idea to spend those points in Disneyland Paris then !
I guess the banking and borrowing is the way to go for us.
Annabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
gilld
Will just have the butler open her champagne!

Do remember though, that even if you only actually use your points to go every two or three years, you'll still have to pay your maintenance fees every year.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

you can use points for cruises which is good now they are in the Med. We used our points for a three day cruise. We have used our points for Paris but that was before they made you buy the length of stay passes for the day you get there and the day after and definately not good value for money. we once used our points for a trip to Devon but again that was when they did different exchanges and i don;t think the new ones are as good.

I have rented points out many times and will do in the future.

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
..if you use your points for Disneyland Paris then you MUST buy length of stay park tickets, even if you won't get the opportunity to use them every day.
What if you already have Annual Passes for Disneyland Paris? Can you not use your points for just the hotel stays?
fitnessmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessmouse View Post
What if you already have Annual Passes for Disneyland Paris? Can you not use your points for just the hotel stays?
No, it is a condition of booking a hotel stay at Disneyland Paris that you also buy length of stay park tickets, even if you already have them.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

I know that that is the case with regular tickets, but with AP you can book just a hotel through Disney. I was wondering if that was the case when using points as well.

I'm looking at the pointcharts through DVCnews. Are the points for Disneyland Paris per room, or per person, and are the tickets then extra on top of those points, or are those included in the point chart?

Like OP, i m trying to decide if DVC is for us, and what to do with points if we can't get to Orlando.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Everything Eeyore
Mouseketeer

The points value is per room and the cost of tickets is on top of that.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessmouse View Post
I know that that is the case with regular tickets, but with AP you can book just a hotel through Disney. I was wondering if that was the case when using points as well.
The points charts on the member web site state:

Quote:
Reservations at Disneyland®Paris resort hotels require a 2-night minimum stay and require the purchase of length-of-stay Theme Park tickets for the number of registered Guests.
so I would assume that even if you are an AP holder you will be forced to buy tickets for everybody. The tickets have to be paid for 'in cash' as well, you can't use points for them.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
doombuggy
DIS Veteran

i have a small dvc contract, but since i live in orlando...
in regards to the questions about using the points in DLP, yes, you are required to buy a length of stay pass, and i my case, i don't need that. Right now i have aq room at the Sequoia booked ofr 4 nights at halloween and it will cost 580 euros. I get that the euro vs the dollar is going down so the cost might not be the $800 or so that i thought it was going to be. But it still would be cheaper to use the points, even with the ticket purchase and the fee....
1974 - 1983 day trips to WDW*1992 WDW offsite *1994 Contemporary*1997 WDW offsite*1997 Polynesian*1998 DL PAC* 1999 DLH*2000 Port Orleans & Coronado*2001 WDW offsite*2002 DLH*2002 WDW Happy Haunts Ball*2003 Port Orleans/Riverside*2003 WDW Happy Haunts Ball* 2004 Star Wars Weekends*moved to Orlando July 2004*2006 DLR * 2007 Pirates & Princess Party*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 DL GCH*2009 BLT *2009 AKV*2010 OKW*2010 DLP DLH*2011 BLT*2011 AKL/Kidani*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani
doombuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

DVC is great, but its value is being on property with the Disney magic. We bought Marriott timeshares for use off Disney property.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
grizbuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
No, it is a condition of booking a hotel stay at Disneyland Paris that you also buy length of stay park tickets, even if you already have them.
I've read that people with DLP APs sometimes book DLP packages (including tickets) for one person and then add on others in the family once they arrive to the DLP hotel and just pay tax for those added on last minute. Has anyone ever tried something like this using DVC points? Can you have one registered person in the room and buy length of stay tickets for that one person and just have the rest of the family added on to the room once you arrive to DLP? It just doesn't seem right that I would have to buy length of stay tickets that I would end up throwing away, in order to use my DVC points.

Feel like DVC conditions for DLP are just unfair, or certainly unfriendly, to the loyal Disney customer. Seems like Disney is pretty much pushing their DLP AP holders to offsite properties.

Me DH DS (9) DS (7)
grizbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if the length of stay passes for dlrparis are upgradable to annual passes?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: