Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
shushh
DIS Veteran

PTR/TR - An Aussie tribe’s American Adventure Dec 9 2010 – Jan 23 2011

TR
Realistically, I will not have time to do both a live TR as well keeping up with my blog so please feel free to have sticky beak at my blog if you're interested to what we're up to!

PTR
Welcome to our pre-trip report! We’re a bunch of Australians (Sydneysiders to be precise!) about to head over to North and Central America at the end of the year. Just back from our Disney Mediterranean cruise in April, we’re itching to embark on our next Disney adventure. Prior to our April cruise, our Disney travel record had been sadly dormant and confined to our pre-kids-still living with our parents-era.
Herein you will find the account of our attempts to resurrect our Disney resume to a respectable level.

Home...Sydney, Australia

This trip will be mammoth in more ways than one. The most obvious gargantuan factor is the length of the adventure. We’ll be away from home for a total of 6 weeks and 3 days. The next factor contributing to the epic nature of this journey is the number of people going. There are 21 travelers going on various portions of the trip. Brave or stupid? Time will tell…

This trip has been in planning for quite some time. Although both DH and I absolutely love Disney, we only just discovered the existence of DCL a few months prior to our Mediterranean cruise! We came upon it by chance whilst doing research to take the children on their very first trip to WDW in Dec 2010. The original plan was to tack on a Caribbean cruise at the end of our WDW stay. And then…the kids sail free offer for the Mediterranean cruises came up. DH decided to “try before we buy”. Yep, my arm was twisted. We embarked on our 11 night Mediterranean cruise on the Magic for our Disney “preview” to whet our appetite. Besides we needed an opportunity to book our “real” cruise whilst onboard for the extra savings. By then, the Caribbean cruise had morphed into a Panama Canal cruise and the plans had
evolved to include New York and Washington DC. The number of participants had also slowly grown from just the 5 of us to the magical number of 21. It appears that we sell the idea of Disney very well! They all couldn’t resist wanting to come along with us for the magic…

I hope you are able to hang around and see how we go! Any tips or advice to help with our planning will be most appreciated!

Post-script
This pre-trip is proudly brought to you by…PrincessInOz. Thank you for inspiring me and “challenging” me to write this pre-trip report!

Quicklinks
The Adventure
Introducing the Adventurers Part 1
Introducing the Adventurers Part 2
Flights
Glorious Walt Disney World
The Importance of Being Fed - Free Dining and ADRs
100 Days To Go...
Panama Canal and Beyond on The Wonder
New York, New York
An Aside...Gaming
50 Days To Go...
Tagging The Tots
30 Days To Go...
Do NOT use Cocoa Beach Shuttles!
A big aside...House Plans
Ready, Steady, SHOP!
Stateroom Surprise!
Conference Calls
Thanksgiving
5 Days To Go!
Happy In The Hunter
Not So Happy After The Hunter
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise

Last edited by shushh; 12-15-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

YAY!!! Another Aussie PTR!

Good on you Shushh. It'll be nice to have your PTR to hang out in as well.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
shushh
DIS Veteran

Thanks for dropping in! I now know that at least one person is reading this...
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
shushh
DIS Veteran

The Adventure

Dec 9 We leave for Orlando!
Dec 21 Fly to New York
Dec 28 Catch the train to Washington D.C.
Jan 2 Return to Orlando
Jan 4 Transfer to Port Canaveral
Jan 6 Hop on to our Panama Canal cruise
Jan 21 Fly home
Jan 23 Arrive home

Feeling the need to squeeze every single bit of value into the expensive airfares and long traveling times, and not to mention the chaos that we’ll be putting our body clocks into, we have decided to go for as long as our budget and leave will possibly permit us to go for.

We’re beginning our journey on December 9 on a 13 hour and 45 minute Delta flight bound for LA. We chose to forgo continuing on the “international” flight to Atlanta (where we’d have to connect to a flight for Orlando) and opted instead for a direct 4 hr 45 min flight from LAX to Orlando. This means no more on-demand inflight entertainment…Hope we don’t regret the decision!

Our first stint at Orlando is solely dedicated to Walt Disney World. Sorry, I lie. We’ll be spending our last day at Universal Studios to satisfy the Harry Potter fans.

We then head to the bright lights of New York for a week where we’ll spend Christmas. It is then a train ride to Washington D.C where we’ll stay for 5 days before heading back down to Orlando.

Following that is a transfer to Port Canaveral in preparation for the Panama Canal cruise, a necessity for our journey west to LA. Sadly our adventure will end there as we board our flight back home to Sydney.

Next...Introducing the Adventurers Part 1

Last edited by shushh; 08-22-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
shushh
DIS Veteran

Introducing the Adventurers Part 1

It is probably time for introductions. Here is a quick rundown of the magnificent cast of 21!

Our very first Disney planning meeting, held during our annual gaming convention! Not the whole group but most of the WDW troupe were present complete with T-shirts we had made for the trip.

Family A
That's us! The family to whom the crazy plan originally belongs to. We’re in for the long haul from the beginning to the end!

Me – a 34 year old clinically retired medic who sold her soul to work part time for the pharmaceutical industry so that she can be a better mother and wife.

DH – The workhorse making my Disney dreams come true! A true gentleman and a little boy at heart!

DS 7- Our little boy genius who is already taking in as much information as he can find out about the various places that we will be visiting.

DD 5- Our dearest princess who really believes that every single day will be special on our trip because of Disney “magic”. If only we could all be 5 again!

DS 1- The baby of the family and the worst behaved! He who grunts and points, and demands to be carried…

Next...Introducing the Adventurers Part 2

Last edited by shushh; 08-22-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
PrincessInOz
in

Shushh - That is one great picture of the most of the 21 of you! That is sure one mob of kids you'll be travelling with.

And your kids are soooo adorable. Love the one of the PRINCESS!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
shushh
DIS Veteran

PrincessInOz, thank you for your kind words! You know, when I bought that Snow White dress, I really wished I could have had one as a child. I was at the shops having to choose between Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I think I was there for nearly half an hour plagued with indecisiveness!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
shushh
DIS Veteran

Introducing the Adventurers Part 2

Family K
Our “gaming”, “church” as well as “dinner at 530pm” buddies with 3 children whose ages are similar to our children. They are also in for the whole hog! We’ve been on many holidays together but never for 45 days straight! Let’s hope our friendship won’t be tested too hard over this long trip...

Dad – A colleague of DH’s who enjoys the finer things in life. Let’s hope he survives the non-espresso coffees in the States. He has been assigned to be our Dining Colonel, the one in charge of organizing our ADRs for WDW and for finding restaurants elsewhere.

Mum – A clinically retired medic like me! An amazingly capable woman who always manages to keep all juggling balls in the air.

DS 7 – A high school musical fan and a keen soccer player!

DD 4 – A little girl who is as sharp as a tack. Can’t trick this little one!

DD 2 – The princess lucky enough to have a birthday while we’re at WDW. We will be celebrating in style at Cinderella’s Royal Table.

Family Y
Our other “gaming”, “church” and “dinner at 530pm” buddies. Close friends who have recently moved to Canada for training/work for a year. Unfortunately, because of work commitments, the whole family can only join in for the WDW

Dad – Yet another medic…but of the bone carpentering sort. Our theme-park strategist, he has dutifully created wonderfully complex spreadsheets full of minute details and will be on hand to shepherd us around at WDW.

Mum – The last of the clinically retired medic! One of the main reasons for the whole group going is fulfill our promise to take her to a “Disney Park”. Yes, she has incredibly NEVER been to ANY Disney park EVER! This trip also serves well as reunion of sorts. We would not have seen each other for about 6 months when we meet up in Orlando.

DS 1 – A most precious little boy conceived after years of trying. A real cutie and babbling away non-stop is his current past time.

Family M
The “older” family and the only non “Drs.” on the trip. They have generously offered to help with the younger children to give the parents a break, thus have a most pivotal role on the journey…The family will be on the New York leg as well from Port Canaveral onwards.

Dad - A fine wine lover and fishing enthusiast

Mum - The mother hen, and the other Disney nut. She will be in for nearly the whole hog except for the Washington DC leg where the whole M clan will head to New Jersey to visit family friends.

DS 21 – A talented “media” person, handy with video, graphics and all things techy.

DS 18 – A hit with the “little” ones, we have high hopes that this will bode well for babysitting opportunities…

Family P
The last family making up our group for the cruise. Also “Drs” but of the dental kind. They will be bringing temporary fillings in case anyone chips their teeth as well as Ultra Carbon in case anyone poisons themselves. They will be doing their own thing but will be joining the rest of the crew for the cruise.

Dad - another coffee connoisseur and also a lover of fine wine.

Mum – A lady who has lost in incredible amount of weight and is now our fashion trendsetter! The woman by the pool looking great in the Monroe-esque 50’s style bathers will be her!

DS 7 – A space enthusiast and lover of the garbage truck. His career of choice until recently had been garbologist much to the horror of his grandmother.

DD 3 – Another dear little girl whose favourite princess is…Daddy!

Next...Flights

Last edited by shushh; 08-23-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
PrincessInOz
in

I love the fact that your church buddies are also your gaming buddies! Next time you're down in Melbourne, we should have a game ourselves .

You're really lucky to have Family M to help with the kids. But then, given the brood of kids that you're chasing, this was probably really really good planning

And with so many doctors and dentists, you've really got the medical side of things well and truly covered.

Waiting for more...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Wow - I didn't realise there were so many of you guys going! I think everybody with young children should have a 'Family M' as travel companions.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I love the fact that your church buddies are also your gaming buddies! Next time you're down in Melbourne, we should have a game ourselves .

You're really lucky to have Family M to help with the kids. But then, given the brood of kids that you're chasing, this was probably really really good planning
Yes it does work out quite well. We often have lunch together and then retire to someone's house and play a few games until dinner time...

I am always keen to welcome people into the world of European boardgames. It is quite addictive and you'll never see boardgames in the same way again! Many go to Melbourne to shop for fashion but what did we do???!?! We bought about 3-4 games from an excellent shop on Swanston St!

Ok its a date, next time we go to Melbourne, I will bring a game along....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Wow - I didn't realise there were so many of you guys going! I think everybody with young children should have a 'Family M' as travel companions.
Ah yes...Family M. It is because of them that we are able to organize things such as broadway shows without the kids, going to Mal's friend stand up comedy act, romantic dinner on the cruise. The list continues. We are truly blessed!

In fact, even though the numbers make it a logistical nightmare, it also means that we can take turns to do child free activities. We've organized a girls dinner and boys dinner amongst other things. It is also nice to not have to organize everything myself. Although it did take some letting go on my part!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
shushh
DIS Veteran

Flights

The one thing that I am truly dreading is the flight to America and the jetlag that follows. 11 of us will be leaving Sydney at 1130 in the morning on a 13 hour and 45 minute flight to LA where we’ll have 3 hours and 45 minutes to go through immigration, pick up our luggage, go through customs, drop them off again for our next flight, go through security and then find our way to our next boarding gate for our connecting flight to Orlando…with 6 children in tow. Hopefully all flights will go ahead as planned and we will be in Orlando 5 hours later unscathed. We arrive at 543pm and who knows what our stomach will think that we’re up to by then. Hopefully the Magical Express won’t take too long to take us to Port Orleans Riverside. We’re hoping to catch a quick bite to eat and then crash. I keep telling myself that if I could survive flying to Europe, then I can survive this…I know I can. I know I can. I know I can.

The flight home should be marginally better as we’ll be flying out from LA and will only have the one plane to catch to reach Sydney. The flight leaves at 1045pm and so here’s to hoping that the children will sleep most of 14 hour flight away!

We’ve tried to include as many domestic legs as we can on our international ticket so that we can utilize the more generous international luggage allowance. How could we possibly pass up the opportunity to take 10 pieces of luggage per family? Think of all the shopping that we could do! All joking aside, I am actually starting to wonder how light I can pack for a family of five given that I’ll have to cater for the extreme cold of New York and Washington DC as well as for the tropical weather of Central America, not to mention the fact that we will be away for over 6 weeks. I am so tempted to just buy everything over there. Not sure how well that will go down with DH…

Next...Glorious Walt Disney World

Last edited by shushh; 08-26-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Hi Shushh!
Another Aussie subbing

You are crazy going with that many people, but Im sure it will be crazy fun!

I am also dreading that flight, but at least we have a stop over! And we have a night flight back too which will hopefully be the easiest

Looking forward to hearing more

PS. Your kiddos are gorgeous
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
rubyivy
Earning My Ears

Great report so far Are your kiddos eurasian? My two kids are.

We are heading to WDW next week, we are on the Delta flight from Sydney via LA and Atlanta - not sure I'm looking forward to that bit - then 8 days in WDW then on to NY for 4 days before we come home.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Hi Shushh!
Another Aussie subbing

You are crazy going with that many people, but Im sure it will be crazy fun!

I am also dreading that flight, but at least we have a stop over! And we have a night flight back too which will hopefully be the easiest

Looking forward to hearing more

PS. Your kiddos are gorgeous
Thanks for dropping in Mum from oz! We also thought about stopping over but decided to just bite bullet and go straight through to get the pain over and done with! I still can't believe how much of your trip you've plannrf already. You're one might focused woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyivy View Post
Great report so far Are your kiddos eurasian? My two kids are.

We are heading to WDW next week, we are on the Delta flight from Sydney via LA and Atlanta - not sure I'm looking forward to that bit - then 8 days in WDW then on to NY for 4 days before we come home.
rubyivy, yes my kids are eurasian. DH is caucasian. Lucky you getting to leave next week! Am green with envy. Be sure to report back on your trip. Would love to hear how you go with the Delta flight especially the LAX connection bit as well as your thoughts on NY. Have a safe trip and a fabulous time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: