Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Excursion booking tonight: question

Is it worth it to stay up? I know I have read some threads on it not being open at 12am EST. Anyone have good experiences/bad experiences? I can stay up until midnight but not much past that

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I just prebooked recently and it was the best experience so far. I was able to book everything right at midnight. Back in bed at 12:05

In the past some things were booked at 12 and one other (I can't remember) opened up at 3am which was horrible since I didn't get any sleep those nights!

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It depends...what castaway level are you (or are you a first timer?) How big a deal is it to you if you don't get what you want?

Basically, if you stay up till midnight and don't get it, you know you did all you could. If you don't stay up and try tomorrow, you'll always wonder if you should have stayed up.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Melissa, great, that's my goal!

kcashner: I am a first timer. What are the things I would definitely want to book at midnight that could potentially be less of a chance if I wait? Spa, cabanas, kids club, excursions??

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Each kid has a guaranteed spot in their age appropriate group--you don't need to do this at all tonight. Come back and do that part in a day or so.

First timer--you won't get a cabana. Find something else to do with your $500. Check back from time to time as people do cancel, but it is really not likely. That said, I probably did 20 visits to Castaway Cay before the cabanas existed, and it is great. A cabana is nice, but not needed to enjoy your day.

Adult dining--1/2 of the reservations are held for on board booking. If you can get what you want, great. If not, you can try again on board.

Spa--unless you have you heart set on a specific service at a specific time, also not an issue--you can book on board if you don't get it on line. There are also specials for before noon on the second day, port days, etc. that you can't get on line.

Excursions--these sell out. Get what you want. They don't "hold back" any spots, so grab now.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Each kid has a guaranteed spot in their age appropriate group--you don't need to do this at all tonight. Come back and do that part in a day or so.

First timer--you won't get a cabana. Find something else to do with your $500. Check back from time to time as people do cancel, but it is really not likely. That said, I probably did 20 visits to Castaway Cay before the cabanas existed, and it is great. A cabana is nice, but not needed to enjoy your day.

Adult dining--1/2 of the reservations are held for on board booking. If you can get what you want, great. If not, you can try again on board.

Spa--unless you have you heart set on a specific service at a specific time, also not an issue--you can book on board if you don't get it on line. There are also specials for before noon on the second day, port days, etc. that you can't get on line.

Excursions--these sell out. Get what you want. They don't "hold back" any spots, so grab now.
Great info, thanks. I will be staying up tonight, better drink some coffee

Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

We aren't booking excursions, but I do want to book my PAT. That's at 3am, right? OP, good luck getting yours booked!!
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Also, the obvious. NOW is the time to read the descriptions of services, excursions, etc. if you haven't already done it. You want to be ready to log on and start clicking when the time comes. Know your first, second, and third choices and be ready to grab them

Do not log on early--the clock sets to the time you log on, so it can be 12:10 and you are trying to figure out what the problem is. Log on at 12:00 or 12:01.

And all said...the vast majority of guests on most cruises are not dis-ers. Many do not pay attention to things like on line check in and reservations.....
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchIsOurHero View Post
We aren't booking excursions, but I do want to book my PAT. That's at 3am, right? OP, good luck getting yours booked!!
There have been several reports here that both the excursion window and the online checkin window have been available at midnight now.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
There have been several reports here that both the excursion window and the online checkin window have been available at midnight now.

That would be terrific! Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely check at midnight!!
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
calidoc2006
Earning My Ears

I did it last night (I am lucky to be on the west coast so got to do it at 9pm PST), but I was able to do both my reservations for Palo/Remy/BBB and PAT at that time. Seems like you don't need to wait until 3am EST/12am PST to do it anymore.
calidoc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_LovesDisney View Post
Is it worth it to stay up? I know I have read some threads on it not being open at 12am EST. Anyone have good experiences/bad experiences? I can stay up until midnight but not much past that
Are you on the Fantasy March 9 cruise? If so, check out our meet thread. I posted what Palo dining is still available as of a couple days ago. Also, I will check out if any excursions that you want are still available if you tell me what they are.

My 2 cents are stay up and book your dining and excursions. Don't worry about on-line check in unless it is available at midnight too. Most of the time it's not until 3am. Do it when you get up in the morning. Not sure how you are getting to the port so that will dictate arrival time.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaryCam View Post
Are you on the Fantasy March 9 cruise? If so, check out our meet thread. I posted what Palo dining is still available as of a couple days ago. Also, I will check out if any excursions that you want are still available if you tell me what they are.

My 2 cents are stay up and book your dining and excursions. Don't worry about on-line check in unless it is available at midnight too. Most of the time it's not until 3am. Do it when you get up in the morning. Not sure how you are getting to the port so that will dictate arrival time.
Yes we are on March 9 sailing! We are looking at Coral World in St. Thomas and considering El Yunque tour and hike in San Juan but still unsure due to our youngest daughter being 4.5. Not sure if she can do it. I also want to do one of the couples spa treatments.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_LovesDisney View Post
Yes we are on March 9 sailing! We are looking at Coral World in St. Thomas and considering El Yunque tour and hike in San Juan but still unsure due to our youngest daughter being 4.5. Not sure if she can do it. I also want to do one of the couples spa treatments.
OK, this is what I saw:

Plenty of spa treatments

There were 3 different Coral World excursions, all were open, 2 have 2 times available left, the other only has 1.

El Yunque tour and hike is open but the only time available is 7am

Again, please feel free to join our meet thread. Get to know others taking our cruise.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: