Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1471
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

I haven't done any of the classes offered by Disney, but I am attending The Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers, that is being sponsored by 3D Travel Company from Sept 3-8 You can click here http://www.3dtravelcompany.com/homes...ate-field-trip for details about this opportunity
July '89--Fort Wilderness; Feb '93--Dolphin, POR; Feb '95--Marriott World Center; Feb '97--Marriott World Center, POR; Feb '99--Marriott World Center; April '02--AS Movies; Feb '03--Gaylord Palms, Hard Rock Hotel; Feb '04--Dolphin, Hotel at Florida Mall; Feb '06--POR, Dolphin; June '06--POP; Sept '07--AKL (a dream come true!!!); Feb '08--Coronado Springs Resort/Marriott World Center; Sept '08--Beach Club/Disney Wonder (our first Disney Cruise!!!); Feb '09--Disneyland; Sept '09--Beach Club; Sept '10--Beach Club (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '11--All-Star Music Family Suites (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '12--Art of Animation (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers)
wvdislover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #1472
Rockislander
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdislover View Post
I haven't done any of the classes offered by Disney, but I am attending The Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers, that is being sponsored by 3D Travel Company from Sept 3-8 You can click here http://www.3dtravelcompany.com/homes...ate-field-trip for details about this opportunity
Oooo! I had no idea about this group - thanks for sharing! Do they go to Disney every year?

Next trip: 9/2014: POL/WDW
2013: WL/WDW
2013: Princess Half Marathon - WDW/POFQ
2012: BCV/WDW
2004: LBV Hotel/WDW
1997: Off-site/WDL
1996: Off-site/WDL
Rockislander is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1473
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

Yes, they do! Message me, and I'll give you more details, if you like
July '89--Fort Wilderness; Feb '93--Dolphin, POR; Feb '95--Marriott World Center; Feb '97--Marriott World Center, POR; Feb '99--Marriott World Center; April '02--AS Movies; Feb '03--Gaylord Palms, Hard Rock Hotel; Feb '04--Dolphin, Hotel at Florida Mall; Feb '06--POR, Dolphin; June '06--POP; Sept '07--AKL (a dream come true!!!); Feb '08--Coronado Springs Resort/Marriott World Center; Sept '08--Beach Club/Disney Wonder (our first Disney Cruise!!!); Feb '09--Disneyland; Sept '09--Beach Club; Sept '10--Beach Club (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '11--All-Star Music Family Suites (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '12--Art of Animation (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #1474
wondermomamy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
...but I am attending The Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers, that is being sponsored by 3D Travel Company from Sept 3-8
We are doing this, too, and can't wait!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1475
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermomamy View Post
We are doing this, too, and can't wait!
Can't wait to meet you at the Mega Meet!!!

Missy
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #1476
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

What all is involved in the ultimate field trip for homeschoolers? someone referred me to the website before, but I didn't really see much detail on what it was all about. Are there any mini lessons built in our anything like that? I did see there was a scavenger hunt, which sounds like fun.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #1477
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
What all is involved in the ultimate field trip for homeschoolers? someone referred me to the website before, but I didn't really see much detail on what it was all about. Are there any mini lessons built in our anything like that? I did see there was a scavenger hunt, which sounds like fun.
There is not much involved--there are some activities planned--a Mega Meet for the first evening (where homeschoolers from all over the country come together and meet each other AND Steve Barrett, the Hidden Mickey Guy, will be there!); the Scavenger Hunt at Magic Kingdom; a Dole Whip Meet at Magic Kingdom; and an Illuminations Meet, where we all get together and watch Illuminations together. All of the activities are optional, but there are some great giveaways at the activities The rest of the time is open for your family to enjoy all the learning and fun to be had at Disney World! Oh, yes, there will be some "educational" materials given out during UFT, and there is all kinds of education to be had on your own, too, at all 4 parks It is always a lot of fun, especially when you meet up with or run into other "UFT'ers" in the parks or at your resort! If you want more info, please send me a message
Missy Smith
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #1478
Rockislander
Earning My Ears

Quote:
There is not much involved--there are some activities planned--a Mega Meet for the first evening (where homeschoolers from all over the country come together and meet each other AND Steve Barrett, the Hidden Mickey Guy, will be there!); the Scavenger Hunt at Magic Kingdom; a Dole Whip Meet at Magic Kingdom; and an Illuminations Meet, where we all get together and watch Illuminations together. All of the activities are optional, but there are some great giveaways at the activities The rest of the time is open for your family to enjoy all the learning and fun to be had at Disney World! Oh, yes, there will be some "educational" materials given out during UFT, and there is all kinds of education to be had on your own, too, at all 4 parks It is always a lot of fun, especially when you meet up with or run into other "UFT'ers" in the parks or at your resort! If you want more info, please send me a message
Missy Smith
Thanks so much, Missy! This was very helpful and I could definitely see us going one year! Hope you won't mind hearing from me in a year or two to pick your brain on this a bit more!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #1479
miami305
Mouseketeer

Hello, all!
I have an extremely bright 3yr old and welcome any and all advice on homeschool materials for him. He's not a genius, but he's certainly brighter than the rest of the family! My problem is the materials geared to his age are too easy for him. He needs the bright colors and friendly cartoons or animals of preschool materials, but at a 1st grade level. HELP! Any suggestions for books or learning aids that won't bore a 3yr old to death?

TIA!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #1480
Rockislander
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
Hello, all!
I have an extremely bright 3yr old and welcome any and all advice on homeschool materials for him. He's not a genius, but he's certainly brighter than the rest of the family! My problem is the materials geared to his age are too easy for him. He needs the bright colors and friendly cartoons or animals of preschool materials, but at a 1st grade level. HELP! Any suggestions for books or learning aids that won't bore a 3yr old to death?

TIA!
Hi there! I was in the same boat when my 3 year old (now 5) was eager to start learning. He was reading by the time he was 3.5 and was beyond all of the typical "shapes, colors, abc's" stuff geared toward that age group. I also found he was much more of a tactile learner, so I didn't bother much with workbooks and instead created lots of hands-on activities. You can see a history of what we've done (and still do) on my blog, Counting Coconuts: www.countingcoconuts.blogspot.com. Hopefully you'll find some useful ideas on there!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1481
miami305
Mouseketeer

Thank you! And you blog looks awesome! I enjoy learning, but have never had a desire to teach anyone. I realize that I can't wing it with this child and need to create basic lesson plans for him. When he's in the mood to learn from me, he blows through my planned tasks in about 15 minutes. I need to step up my game. The Lego eggs activity looks perfect for him. Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #1482
miami305
Mouseketeer

Just saw the Felt Solar System. YES! This is the type of activity for him! He can use his imagination, I can sneak in some factoids, there is no right or wrong answer with this activity. A Montesorri teacher I know told me to make sure I provide him with open-ended questions. I quickly found out workbook pages are a nightmare with him. He wrote the letter A for a photo of a green hill. Why? Because he said it was A for Art.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've asked for help other places online and people seem more interested in discussing their 12 year olds who are learning Calc and Physics. That's great, but those boys didn't hatch writing math equations.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #1483
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockislander View Post
Thanks so much, Missy! This was very helpful and I could definitely see us going one year! Hope you won't mind hearing from me in a year or two to pick your brain on this a bit more!
I don't mind at all! Please feel free to PM me anytime you want more info about the Ultimate Field Trip! I'll look forward to hearing from you!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #1484
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
Hi
My DD10 has been in a good, very small private school for K-5th, but I have seen a lot of negatives to the middle school program, so we are considering other options. Between the limited educational options they offer (spanish only, not the greatest teachers, etc) and the catty little girls in her class, I know I can do better. I think we are going to do a trial period in June to see if we can get along. DH and I are self-employed and work full time, but we are just across the driveway from our house, so we can be somewhat flexible. Here is my gameplan, please feel free to critique or offer ideas.

Math - Saxon (that is what they use at the private school and I would like to stay with it)
Science - ??? any suggestions?
History - Tapestry of Grace - has anyone experienced this? it looks amazing to me and combines several subjects? I really am hoping for feedback on this...
continue piano lessons
tumbling class - social time
small engine repair (Daddy's idea and I love it)
coed baseball in the summer
4-H - loads of social time, plus she and Daddy have a cow, are getting chickens, and have a huge garden

Any thoughts? I still need to work 6 or more hours a day, so she will need to do a lot of independent work.

Thanks
Stephanie
I just started using Apologia science this year for my 10 yo. We both love, love it. I use the coordinating apologia lap book fom A Journey Through Learning nmy son loves it. We were using the notebook from Apologia and he hated it.

I haven't used TOG, bu my aunt does. It is designed so multiple children can use it together. She loves it. I looked at it, but I can't remember why I didn't thnk it was a good choice for one child.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #1485
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Is anyone attending the midwest homeschool conference this weekend in Cincinnati?
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: