Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1456
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Hi I posted here a while back, and here I am again!

I'm wondering if any of you here homeschool a child with autism or Aspbergers? I am seriously considering keeping him home next year and I'm starting to look at curriculum, and wanting to know what works. Since I have a college freshman and a 9th grader its been a while since I've looked at curriculum for elementary age.

Math is specifically what I'm interested in, and science. We used to use Eagles Wings Considering God's Creation and loved that. Any info would be appreciated.
You might want to try asking on the homeschool spot forum. There are a few moms there with children that have aspbergers.
Goodluck

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #1457
momimouse27
Just a Big Kid!

Thanks a bunch. How do I get to that? What heading is it under?
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #1458
JAM3
Mouseketeer

I thought I remember someone posting a link to a bunch of Disney related pages that they have had their Homeschool children do while on the way to and at Disney. I can not seem to find it anymore. I am guessing it was over a year ago I saw it. Does anyone know remember this and have a link to it? I saw the coloring and activity links but I was looking for a little bit more academic thrown in. I will just make my own if I can not find it but I thought I would post here first and see if anyone remembers seeing them or has some of their own to share. I am looking for a first or second grade level or up to fourth or fifth in reading. Thank you!
JAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #1459
antree
DIS Veteran

I would be interested in that too. I also remember a link about books from the different parks that were being used for home schooling too. I have been looking for that but I can't find it. My PC has been reformatted so many times I lost everything.

Thank You.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #1460
mamato3girls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
I would be interested in that too. I also remember a link about books from the different parks that were being used for home schooling too. I have been looking for that but I can't find it. My PC has been reformatted so many times I lost everything.

Thank You.
I would love to know this as well.
mamato3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #1461
reneaterry
Mouseketeer

HI! I am new here. I just really started homeschooling my almost 5 year old. I'm using workbook pages and activities to reinforce learning. I taught for 10 years so I'm in a very school state of mind so I'm having to break out of that. I really enjoy working with her and I think this is going to be best for our family.
reneaterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #1462
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneaterry View Post
HI! I am new here. I just really started homeschooling my almost 5 year old. I'm using workbook pages and activities to reinforce learning. I taught for 10 years so I'm in a very school state of mind so I'm having to break out of that. I really enjoy working with her and I think this is going to be best for our family.
Welcome! My oldest is almost 5 too.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1463
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Thanks a bunch. How do I get to that? What heading is it under?
http://www.homeschoolspot.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Just ask on the homeschooling board. I'm sure that some will be able to give curriculum recommendations to you.

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #1464
staley7580
Hangs Out With Hyenas
He is cute now!! Before he was just illegal
I like big butts and I cannot lie

Hello all!! My name is Megan and I have 4 kiddos.. my oldest is 10, then my dd is 6-almost 7, and 3yo boy/girl twins. My husband and I have decided to start homeschooling our kids next year. Our schools suck, and my oldest is really, really smart. Even his teacher pulled me aside and recommended we pull him out of public school, because its just going to hold him back. Anyways. Here we are. Researching, researching, researching.

I dont know where to start. We are taking a class at the end of april on homeschooling. Something the state requires. Soooo... Help? Ill have a 5th grader, a 2nd grader.. and the twins. Which we will probably just be starting preschool stuff with. And my oldest is doing 7th grade math, and his reading levels are high school.

staley7580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #1465
MissNurse
Mouseketeer

Help!

We are coming near the end of our first year of homeschooling! DD is finishing 5th grade and DS is finishing up 1st grade. We pulled them out of ps in October. Anyway, we used the curriculum from Timberdoodle recommended for their grades this year. It was okay, but I am hopeful that we can do better next year. This was mostly a mish-mash of workbooks. We did Teaching Textbooks for DD's math, and we loved it! I am going to go ahead and start DS on the 3rd grade in that next year (he tested on that level on their website). We are leaning toward My Father's World for our main curriculum. Any thoughts on this? Anybody here used this one? I am still wondering what to use for language. I really hated what we had this year. It had tons of copy work. My kiddos don't get much out of that. I am open to any suggestions! TIA!

June 1995 Offsite~March 1996 Offsite~June 1997 All Star Sports~June 2008 Old Key West~March 2010 Coronado Springs~September 2012 Port Orleans-Riverside
MissNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #1466
Rockislander
Earning My Ears

Oh yay! I'm so happy to have found some fellow homeschooling Disney goers! I've been homeschooling my soon to be 5 year old for a couple of years now. I keep a blog called Counting Coconuts, if anyone cares to see what kinds of things we do. I made a Mickey Mouse mini unit last fall: http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...ini-units.html

Also, I too would love to see some educational print outs - hope someone's able to find that elusive link!!

Next trip: 9/2014: POL/WDW
2013: WL/WDW
2013: Princess Half Marathon - WDW/POFQ
2012: BCV/WDW
2004: LBV Hotel/WDW
1997: Off-site/WDL
1996: Off-site/WDL
Rockislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #1467
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNurse View Post
We are coming near the end of our first year of homeschooling! DD is finishing 5th grade and DS is finishing up 1st grade. We pulled them out of ps in October. Anyway, we used the curriculum from Timberdoodle recommended for their grades this year. It was okay, but I am hopeful that we can do better next year. This was mostly a mish-mash of workbooks. We did Teaching Textbooks for DD's math, and we loved it! I am going to go ahead and start DS on the 3rd grade in that next year (he tested on that level on their website). We are leaning toward My Father's World for our main curriculum. Any thoughts on this? Anybody here used this one? I am still wondering what to use for language. I really hated what we had this year. It had tons of copy work. My kiddos don't get much out of that. I am open to any suggestions! TIA!
I haven't used My Fathers World but have heard good thins about it. It has a lot of projects if you like that sort of thing.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #1468
Daisy'sMama
Mouseketeer

considering homeschooling

Hi
My DD10 has been in a good, very small private school for K-5th, but I have seen a lot of negatives to the middle school program, so we are considering other options. Between the limited educational options they offer (spanish only, not the greatest teachers, etc) and the catty little girls in her class, I know I can do better. I think we are going to do a trial period in June to see if we can get along. DH and I are self-employed and work full time, but we are just across the driveway from our house, so we can be somewhat flexible. Here is my gameplan, please feel free to critique or offer ideas.

Math - Saxon (that is what they use at the private school and I would like to stay with it)
Science - ??? any suggestions?
History - Tapestry of Grace - has anyone experienced this? it looks amazing to me and combines several subjects? I really am hoping for feedback on this...
continue piano lessons
tumbling class - social time
small engine repair (Daddy's idea and I love it)
coed baseball in the summer
4-H - loads of social time, plus she and Daddy have a cow, are getting chickens, and have a huge garden

Any thoughts? I still need to work 6 or more hours a day, so she will need to do a lot of independent work.

Thanks
Stephanie
Daisy'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1469
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNurse View Post
We used MFW for Kindergarten this year and really liked it. It has a lot of projects, but if your child is a hands on learner that will be great. I have not looked into the upper levels, so I cannot comment on them. Good luck! Sometimes I think picking curriculum is the hardest part.
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #1470
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Hello, we are considering homeschooling next year and I was wondering if anyone has ever done any of the homeschool workshops/classes offered at Disney World? If so what did you think? My oldest son is 7 and I'm looking at two classes being offered while we will be on vacation in Sept. Thanks in advance for any advice on the Disney classes
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: