Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #106
figment3258
DIS Veteran

hello all!

Just thought i would say hi I posted just a few times on the other thread but its been a while.

We are still on "summer break" and we are heading on vacation next week so our official start will be around labor day.

this will be our 3 legal year and i love it! I have two daughters ages almost 8 and 4.

Life is great what more can i say

I hope to connect with some of you and get more involved in this thread.

Take care
Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #107
Tiana
Mouseketeer

Oh well, I posted it! I'm sure the brainwashed masses will come out to flame me in droves. But, oh well, the truth is the truth is the truth!

I hope it DOES open some eyes though.

We had a parent practicum for Classical Conversations and were discussing the same topic, though not this particular article, and someone brought up that it's like we are living in a world of zombies. We go about our business producing, putting out product, grading, "the rat race", etc. living life like a robot with no deep thought and even our deep relationships are slowly diminishing.... no one questions ANYTHING, everyone complains.... but they don't ask "Why is it like this?" "Why does it have to be this way?" "Why am I letting other people make decisions for me?" etc.

OK, I obviously need to stop, LOL. Just having one of those, frustrating, "trying to stop sheep from jumping off a cliff but they just won't stop" moments!
Tiana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #108
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Yep!! TV!!! ha!! Some days we just pop in an old movie or a Disney show and be still and quiet for a while!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Hill View Post
My 7.5 year old DD is fascinated by life science right now, particularly the oceans and the body, so streaming Netflix documentaries on our tv when I need some time to get my own work done is a great solution for us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
They have laptops, so spend time in their rooms creating videos or digi-scrapping photos from vacations. They design clothes or cakes, or just draw (we have a pen/pad/mouse thingy) in paint. They also have to play the Wii fit 30 minutes per day and that generally leads into Mario Cart or some other game. They have chores (cleaning the kitchen) and also help with meal prep. If all else fails, there's always TV. Right now, I'm hearing Rugrats streaming from Netflix as they relive "the good old days when cartoons were funny".
I forgot about Roku/Netflix. I have a boatload of history/discovery channel vids in the lineup.

Most of the time, we have a good balance of us/me time, but lately I've had a string of deadlines (not a bad thing in one regard!) and they've had to self-motivate a little more than usual. Toss in that football practices have been canceled this week, and they're getting antsy. Thank goodness for their social calendar, or they'd be bouncing off the ceiling.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #109
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment3258 View Post
hello all!

Just thought i would say hi I posted just a few times on the other thread but its been a while.

We are still on "summer break" and we are heading on vacation next week so our official start will be around labor day.

this will be our 3 legal year and i love it! I have two daughters ages almost 8 and 4.

Life is great what more can i say

I hope to connect with some of you and get more involved in this thread.

Take care
Glad you are lovin' it !!! Have fun on your vacation...and then you can be refreshed and ready to jump back in!!! We'll be here when you get back!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #110
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbe View Post
Homeschool Days in September for us!!!

We have homeschooled for 17 years. Our oldest is a Junior at Rochester Institute of Technology, our second is a Freshman at SUNY Jefferson, our third is a junior at home (and working to become an Eagle Scout) , our fourth is in first grade, and our fifth is four and probably starting Kindergarten.

My husband says I should write a book about the 'disorganized homeschool'; I prefer the 'relaxed homeschool'. I am a huge fan of using very little curriculum, especially in the elementary grades, with the possible exception of math. Children can learn a lot through games, observations, playing with friends, visiting museums, listening to adults, and just exploring their world. We have gone to the beach most years in Sept. since our eldest was 2. My children know more about beach ecology, erosion, birds, dunes, waves, etc. than most children we know, and we have never studied it formally. We learned about mountains by climbing them, and sometimes by skiing down them. We learned about geography by driving to Florida from NY.

My best advice is to relax and think outside the box. Everything you do is educational if you take advantage of the teachable moment. "Mommy, why does...?"
This is totally my philosophy as well. I figure, my DS just turned 5. He is just starting his first year now and he is reading and already knows everything he should know for K and more, and we have never done anything formal or used curriculum with him, so something is working. And he LOVES learning and always asks questions and is so eager to do everything. That is my main goal in homeschooling is to keep the learning fun so that they WANT to do it. I wouldn't call myself and unschooler, but really close. I think I am a mix of a few different styles.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #111
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Food to bring?

I think I do this to myself every year -- the annual kickoff picnic with one of our groups is today (in about five hours!) and I've got no clue what food I'm going to bring to share.

Anyone got any lightning-quick, easy-to-throw-together food ideas that's great for potluck? I'm afraid I'm just going to swing by the bakery and bring a bunch of desserts...and I think I do that every single year!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #112
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
I think I do this to myself every year -- the annual kickoff picnic with one of our groups is today (in about five hours!) and I've got no clue what food I'm going to bring to share.

Anyone got any lightning-quick, easy-to-throw-together food ideas that's great for potluck? I'm afraid I'm just going to swing by the bakery and bring a bunch of desserts...and I think I do that every single year!
That sounds perfectly acceptable to me...it's probably what I would do too!! LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #113
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
That sounds perfectly acceptable to me...it's probably what I would do too!! LOL
Just grabbed some good-looking cookies and we're on our way! (Glad to know I'm not the only one who does it this way!)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #114
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

OK this is funny to me so I just wanted to share. My son just turned 5. He said he wanted to write the days of the week, so I told him to go ahead and gave him the paper and the pencil, not really sure what to expect. Later, when I looked, I saw he wrote:
1. Monday
2. Toosday (he said the double O makes the "oo" sound like Kangaroo, can't really argue with that LOL)
3. Winzday
4. Fursday (yes this is really how he says it lol)
5. Friday
6. Sirday (lol, what?)
7. Sunday
Not too bad but funny at the same time.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #115
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
OK this is funny to me so I just wanted to share. My son just turned 5. He said he wanted to write the days of the week, so I told him to go ahead and gave him the paper and the pencil, not really sure what to expect. Later, when I looked, I saw he wrote:
1. Monday
2. Toosday (he said the double O makes the "oo" sound like Kangaroo, can't really argue with that LOL)
3. Winzday
5. Friday
6. Sirday (lol, what?)
7. Sunday
AAWWWWW!!! You gotta keep that forever!!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #116
DawnM
Dawn

I know this is a little late, but we have potlucks a lot for scouts.

I take something easy.

Enchilada bake
Tortilla chips and salsa
Potato chips and dip

and I have even brought a tupperware full of PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters. With a lot of younger kids around they actually get eaten fast!

Dawn

Quote:

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #117
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
1. Monday
3. Winzday
5. Friday
6. Sirday (lol, what?)
7. Sunday
VERY cute!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #118
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
I know this is a little late, but we have potlucks a lot for scouts.

I take something easy.

Enchilada bake
Tortilla chips and salsa
Potato chips and dip

and I have even brought a tupperware full of PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters. With a lot of younger kids around they actually get eaten fast!

Dawn
Going to have to file away some ideas for next year -- thanks! There was a TON of food (about 200 people), and some of it was non-homemade, so I didn't feel like a total slacker. Some people even brought a bucket of Bojangle's chicken. (It went fast.)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #119
DawnM
Dawn

When we have a scouts event we allow the moms and young kids to go first, cubscouts next, and boyscouts last.

It got so that by the time the boyscouts got there there wasn't much left! So the ladies who usually serve have started reserving some out and not serving it until the boyscouts get there!

I have decided that from now on I will take an extra bag of chips or whatever because there never seems to be enough with so many BOYS there!

Dawn

Quote:
Going to have to file away some ideas for next year -- thanks! There was a TON of food (about 200 people), and some of it was non-homemade, so I didn't feel like a total slacker. Some people even brought a bucket of Bojangle's chicken. (It went fast.)

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #120
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Can anyone give me feedback on Sonlight?
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: