Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #811
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

I saw this in Belle0101's signature and thought it deserved full-post status:

Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds.

Plato
(427 BC-347 BC)

Wow. Pretty smart guy, that Plato.
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #812
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Bump

Bump

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #813
cmskok
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I have finally bit the bullet and I will homeschool a 5th and 3rd grader next year. I am a little bit nervous about telling their current school but I am confident that I can do a good job with my kids!

I have met with a few friends who homeschool and wow! What a resource they are!!!

So hello all!! I hope to see you all at homeschool days!
1987 Off Property; 1998 CB Disneymoon; 2000 Disneyland Off Property; 2002 ASM;2003 POR; 2004 POR; 2005 PC; 2006 PC; 2007 OKW and AKL; 2008 SSR,1/2009 SSR; 9/2009 AKV KV;1/2010 BCV; 8/2010 AKV, SSR & BC; 1/2011 BLT&BWV; 1/2012 BCV, BWV & BLT; 11/2012 BCV; 8/13 CBR; 1/14 SSR

cmskok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #814
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmskok View Post
Hi all! I have finally bit the bullet and I will homeschool a 5th and 3rd grader next year. I am a little bit nervous about telling their current school but I am confident that I can do a good job with my kids!

I have met with a few friends who homeschool and wow! What a resource they are!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! I am a veteran homeschooler of 16 years. I was nervous all those years ago too, but don't let the school system intimidate you. I can tell you that homeschooling has been a blessing for my family!

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #815
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Lapbooks

Who here does lapbooks? I want to try some with our next unit. Anyone use the ones from Hands of A Child? If so are they worth the price? I'm short on time (& creativity) so I want something where I can (for the most part) print and go but the HOAC ones seem so expensive. I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it.

Our next unit is Colonial Times, Science will be Simple Machines.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #816
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
Who here does lapbooks? I want to try some with our next unit. Anyone use the ones from Hands of A Child? If so are they worth the price? I'm short on time (& creativity) so I want something where I can (for the most part) print and go but the HOAC ones seem so expensive. I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it.

Our next unit is Colonial Times, Science will be Simple Machines.
I LOVE HOAC lapbooks. LOVE them. Easy to follow, the kids enjoy the hands-on, cutting, coloring, etc. Create your own formats make them unique (some fold out, some are just folders bound like a book, etc). I like to print some of the pages on colored card stock, just to brighten it up a bit. I use them for 2 kids, and download them straight to my computer. I think they are a good value, personally.
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #817
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

I have known for a while that I want to homeschool DS, but since he is preschool age there was no real commitment. That happened last Thursday. The school behind us had their giant yard card out for kindergarten sign-ups. DH and I drove right past. I got a little nervous, but I feel great all at the same time.
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #818
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
I have known for a while that I want to homeschool DS, but since he is preschool age there was no real commitment. That happened last Thursday. The school behind us had their giant yard card out for kindergarten sign-ups. DH and I drove right past. I got a little nervous, but I feel great all at the same time.
I think we all get a little nervous the first year. I pulled my son out in 2nd grade. I felt left out when the teacher letters started arriving home and then the kids were all going to the meet and greet etc.

Let's just say, the 2nd year it wasn't even on my radar. I couldn't even tell you who the 3rd grade teachers are this year.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #819
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
I LOVE HOAC lapbooks. LOVE them. Easy to follow, the kids enjoy the hands-on, cutting, coloring, etc. Create your own formats make them unique (some fold out, some are just folders bound like a book, etc). I like to print some of the pages on colored card stock, just to brighten it up a bit. I use them for 2 kids, and download them straight to my computer. I think they are a good value, personally.
Thanks! I will go ahead and order one for our next unit and see how he likes it! We did a mini one at the beginning of the year and he seemed to enjoy it. I liked that he could show it to daddy and tell him all about the different things on his book.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #820
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

I think I want to do this

I have been reading here for awhile now and it has really broadened my mind to all of the HSing possibilities. I really get why its done now and how diverse and fulfilling it can be!

My kids go to a public school which is in a district that is considered not too great. A lot of people don't care for our school in particular, probably because of the cultural make-up, high poverty level, and some behavior issues that can go on. I sub at the school frequently and really love all the kids. It is also a good place since my kids were born in China and there is a lot of diversity.

DD is 8 and is doing very well in 2nd grade and is reading above grade level. She has friends from all over the world and loves her teacher. The kids have had great teachers since pre-K, so we have been lucky in that area.

DS is a young 6 and is in 1st grade. From having taught kindergarten for many years, I did not think this was the best idea, but he needed speech and he was only going to recieve services if he enrolled. It has been a huge struggle although he is improving slowly. He has a terrific teacher who has gone above and beyond for him. He has some behavioral issues at home which we are working on with the help of a therapist and his pediatrican.

I think I want to HS if not next year, in the future (There, I said it! It feels good!). I'm starting to really like the idea. I see this more for DS then DD. I think the teacher is doing all she can for him within the confines she is given. Having had the experience in elementary school for 12 years f/t and 5 yrs subbing, I think I can do more for him. I recognize that he is really OK for his age, but the curriculum is quite demanding. It makes an average kid look remedial. He feels dumb and he isn't. I had this idea two weeks ago with how great would it be if I could hs for a year, catch him up and then see if he could go back. I loved the idea!

With DD, she could probably do a grade ahead of where she is now. Our reading and writing programs offer this, but not math, etc.

What I see up the line is that DS will get lost in the shuffle in our 5/6 building. The teachers get no support from administration and while I like the kids there, it is a tough place. I think some of teachers have given up on the kids who have given up on themselves (not my philosophy at all!).

My issue is that we need my subbing money to keep us afloat. Since we are OK with the way things are going, I'm hesitant to make any radical changes right now. I have no qualms about creating a curriculum. I would LOVE to do that! A lot of the way I taught was hands on and I actually did many of the type of things hsers do except with a larger group-made donuts to see how matter changed, fruit kabobs to show patterning, other non-food things! Ultimately, I'd like to some how work within the hs community and eventually hs both of them. I don't even know if doing such a thing (working in hs comm.) is possible. A few years ago, I read through a hs magazine, the hsers where not interested in hearing from or dealing with classroom teachers. I wanted to do something like offer a class for small groups (my favorite way to teach) in some fun, but eductional area. I've read that some parents are looking for informal evaluations for thier kids. I don't know if people offer these services for free or are paid or how it might work.

Ultimately, I want to stop subbing. I think I could do so much more by hsing my kids or maybe offering services to others and eventurally both.

Sorry this is so long! Any advice or thoughts would be helpful!
Jessica (PS-You TOTALLY need your own separate forum here!)
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #821
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica14 View Post
A few years ago, I read through a hs magazine, the hsers where not interested in hearing from or dealing with classroom teachers. I wanted to do something like offer a class for small groups (my favorite way to teach) in some fun, but eductional area. I've read that some parents are looking for informal evaluations for thier kids. I don't know if people offer these services for free or are paid or how it might work.

Ultimately, I want to stop subbing. I think I could do so much more by hsing my kids or maybe offering services to others and eventurally both.

Sorry this is so long! Any advice or thoughts would be helpful!
Jessica (PS-You TOTALLY need your own separate forum here!)

It kinda depends on your state and what is required by the state. For instance, in NC I could submit to the state either an evalutaion or a test. There were certain requirements for the evaluator, and I don't know those off the top of my head. Here in HI, at certain grade levels, I have to submit test scores. The one group I was part of in NC had a mom who would do evaluations and she was paid for them.

As for teaching a class. Most of the time, it is a co-op situation. Where you are sharing responsibilities. But, you may want to talk some of the local groups and see if there is a need or want.

Good luck
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #822
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
OK, I bought a couple of the HOAC lapbooks and I think I am in love! I sure hope my son enjoys them as they look so much better than what we've been doing! I think this is going to be fun. I also bought some mini state lapbooks (not HOAC) for our state studies. I think they will work so much better than what I've been doing and at $1 each I don't think we can go wrong! I think I'm going to love that we will be easily able to go back and look at what we've done for review etc.

Thank you Greygables! I can't wait to start them!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #823
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
It kinda depends on your state and what is required by the state. For instance, in NC I could submit to the state either an evalutaion or a test. There were certain requirements for the evaluator, and I don't know those off the top of my head. Here in HI, at certain grade levels, I have to submit test scores. The one group I was part of in NC had a mom who would do evaluations and she was paid for them.

As for teaching a class. Most of the time, it is a co-op situation. Where you are sharing responsibilities. But, you may want to talk some of the local groups and see if there is a need or want.

Good luck
Thanks for the input. In NY, there are a lot of regulations for HS parents. I now fully understand why so many people feel annoyed by them and feel that they should just be able to do what they do without interferrence. If its a requirement to present data, scores, evals, etc, I could see that I might be able to help in that regard, even help with on going eval. tools to present at the end of the year.

With the class, I had spoken to a hs parent many years ago and she said that sometimes they did utilize outside teachers, but that seemed mostly secondary.

I really enjoy teaching, but feel the confines of a classroom kind of squelch my and the kids' creativity which is why if I can think of a way to work from home, eventually I can HS. Thanks again!
Jessica
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #824
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmskok View Post

Hi!~ My boys are those exact ages this year and it has been a really good year. It's nice having them close enough so that in science and history we do it all together. I am so glad you have friends already doing that. After the first couple of months for sure, it's important to have support. There will be days where you will wonder why on earth you ever thought this was a good plan and your friends will be there to remind you.

We have decided to take DD back out of school next year. She was homeschooled for 8 years, went to a charter high school this year for 9th grrade but we are bringing her back home for 10th through 12th. She is not going to be happy about it at first but hopefully she will get there. We have not told her about it quite yet. Early next week we will. So, pray for me if you are a praying kind!

Academically she has done fine, socially she has done more than fine. But it just doesn't "work" for us. Plus, I feel like we only have three years left with her and they waste SO much time in school. I personally don't see the value in watching basketball tournaments in American Lit. Yes, that has happened.

today I have found an online Japanese course for her to take. I think she will be excited about that. She is currently in Spanish, but she really wants to learn Japanese. If she can do that at home, all the better!

I leave tomorrow for our state homeschool conference. I am really excited. Zan Tyler and Carol Barnier are two of the speakers who will be there. Plus ALL that curriculum to browse!!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #825
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica14 View Post
Thanks for the input. In NY, there are a lot of regulations for HS parents. I now fully understand why so many people feel annoyed by them and feel that they should just be able to do what they do without interferrence. If its a requirement to present data, scores, evals, etc, I could see that I might be able to help in that regard, even help with on going eval. tools to present at the end of the year.

With the class, I had spoken to a hs parent many years ago and she said that sometimes they did utilize outside teachers, but that seemed mostly secondary.

I really enjoy teaching, but feel the confines of a classroom kind of squelch my and the kids' creativity which is why if I can think of a way to work from home, eventually I can HS. Thanks again!
Jessica
Many HSers take art, drama, writing, cooking, language, etc. classes that are not part of a co-op. Some teachers are hired for that specific class (using meeting rooms at a church or library) and others teach several classes (not just HS) at their location. And some tutor or do small groups at your home.

Hope these options give you some ideas.
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: