Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #61
DawnM
Dawn

What actually makes me the most sad is that many, many kids hate school because they are picked on, struggle academically, or whatever the reason.

The assumption that your child is receiving everything he/she needs in the public school system is a HUGE misnomer.

I taught public high school for 16 years. So many kids are just lost in the system. Many do not fit in with their peers.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom3 View Post
I personaly LOVE the assumption that no public or private school kids are weird. Kids are just weird. That's all there is to it. Some are shy, some won't shut up.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #62
DawnM
Dawn

Do you mean the classes themselves are too expensive?

DH's work schedule never allows us to go in Sept. I could make it work in January if I really pushed it, but it is hard for him to get away then either.

He can get off in late October, early January, and May......he can get off in summer too, but I won't go in summer.

We will be heading down in late October this year.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
Not us. Too expensive for locals/Cast Members.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #63
Michelle and crew
I can't believe this might be our last trip to Disney together. The boys are growing up and will be moving on. Breathe deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom3 View Post
I personaly LOVE the assumption that no public or private school kids are weird. Kids are just weird. That's all there is to it. Some are shy, some won't shut up.
No! Say it isn't true! Do these people forget that they were IN school with weird, quirky, shy, hyper, disturbed people?
Michelle and crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #64
DawnM
Dawn

You are forgetting that sending your child to school is "normal" and "average!"

When I have parents of kids who have been lying to their parents, sneaking off to party hard, and they just don't know WHAT to do with their child....telling ME that homeschooling is for weird people.....I will stick to weird.....

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle and crew View Post
No! Say it isn't true! Do these people forget that they were IN school with weird, quirky, shy, hyper, disturbed people?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #65
Michelle and crew
I can't believe this might be our last trip to Disney together. The boys are growing up and will be moving on. Breathe deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
You are forgetting that sending your child to school is "normal" and "average!"

When I have parents of kids who have been lying to their parents, sneaking off to party hard, and they just don't know WHAT to do with their child....telling ME that homeschooling is for weird people.....I will stick to weird.....

Dawn
OMGosh! Normal and Average are not what we are shooting for!

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

I can't imagine living life to be average. You look for the best and unique in people, you draw it out, and you celebrate it. I can't imagine living life needing acceptance (which is what normal and average is all about) that badly.
Michelle and crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #66
DawnM
Dawn

No kidding!

What so many fail to realize is that the concept of compulsory education is a fairly new cultural phenomenon.

I was talking to a dear friend who hsed her children until 8th grade. Unfortunately, circumstances forced her to put her kids into the ps high school. She said that there was NOTHING they learned in the ps high school that they hadn't already learned by 8th grade at home.

Believe me, I have taught in public high schools long enough to know that most days very little learning happens unless you are in the AP classes. I even taught honors many times. Their behavior was slightly better than the regular classes!

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed teaching, but as far as quality instruction happening......it was not nearly as much as parents think. There was always some assembly, pep rally, earthquake drill, announcements made over the PA in the middle of class, etc....going on.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle and crew View Post
OMGosh! Normal and Average are not what we are shooting for!

"The world needs ditch diggers too, Danny."

I can't imagine living life to be average. You look for the best and unique in people, you draw it out, and you celebrate it. I can't imagine living life needing acceptance (which is what normal and average is all about) that badly.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #67
MiniGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
Do you mean the classes themselves are too expensive?

DH's work schedule never allows us to go in Sept. I could make it work in January if I really pushed it, but it is hard for him to get away then either.

He can get off in late October, early January, and May......he can get off in summer too, but I won't go in summer.

We will be heading down in late October this year.

Dawn
I believe she is referring to the additional cost of admission the pass holders and CMs must pay to attend. IIRC, the cost of the YES programs and the homeschool days includes the classes AND park admission. As pass holders, we have already paid for our park admission and get no amount off the cost of the YES programs and/or homeschool days. That is the primary reason we have not participated in Homeschool Days.

eBay ID: Beachside*Designs -- Etsy ID: BeachsideDesigns
MiniGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #68
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink561 View Post
So, that leaves me with my 4.5 year old daughter. We're going Kindergarten this year. I'm using Sonlight P4/5, McRuffy Math K and McRuffy Phonics K. She is also going to take an American Girl class for younger girls, ages 5-7. They will be studying Felicity this year. I think she needs a new doll and I can count it as a school supply.
I was just coming on to ask about Sonlight. I work at a museum part-time and have heard others rave about it. I checked out the site and ordered a catalog yesterday. I love that you have a year to return...that is awesome!
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #69
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGirl View Post
I believe she is referring to the additional cost of admission the pass holders and CMs must pay to attend. IIRC, the cost of the YES programs and the homeschool days includes the classes AND park admission. As pass holders, we have already paid for our park admission and get no amount off the cost of the YES programs and/or homeschool days. That is the primary reason we have not participated in Homeschool Days.
Yep, that's what I meant. Used to be that you could just buy a separate event ticket and YES classes, but with the new setup, it's no good. I really don't know why they changed it and I can't get an answer (3 emails, no response)
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #70
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
Yep, that's what I meant. Used to be that you could just buy a separate event ticket and YES classes, but with the new setup, it's no good. I really don't know why they changed it and I can't get an answer (3 emails, no response)
I'd call. They are really helpful.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #71
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

That is why I LOVED Homeschool days in Williamsburg. That is just how everyone was taught in colonial times. Only the very rich went to school and that was not until they were older and could go to William & Mary for classes. Everyone just embraced the fact we were homeschooling.

We are going again in September.

We used Calvert for our curriculum when dd was in Pk and K. It was very hands on! Too much for this non-crafty person. But, perfect for my crafty DD.

Now that DD is older and can sit still, we are using Sonlight for the first time.

Someday maybe we will get to HS days in WDW. The timing is never right. We usually go in the spring and in October.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #72
disney_family_1247
Mouseketeer

I haven't read everything in these threads, but I wanted to suggest that you guys look up the Tedtalks by Sir Ken Robinson. Amazing! He has a great way of talking about learning and the failures of our education system.
disney_family_1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #73
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_family_1247 View Post
I haven't read everything in these threads, but I wanted to suggest that you guys look up the Tedtalks by Sir Ken Robinson. Amazing! He has a great way of talking about learning and the failures of our education system.
I adore Sir Ken. Love listening to his talks -- and check out his books, too.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #74
MissChris
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to look into those ideas.

I was talking to my Mom (a high school teacher) and she was talking to her good friend (an elementary school teacher) and they both encouraged me to stick with our more open style of learning for another year or two and not worry about specific curriculum until she's older. I also started reading The Well Trained Mind and she also seems to suggest refraining from too much structure before the 1st grade or so.

I'm excited about it so I might be getting ahead of myself

I'm also going to look up this "home school days" thing. I had no idea that existed. Its so great to discover all the interesting resources and community associated with homeschooling. I'm definitely going to be pointing it out to all those people who think home schoolers are a bunch of hermits. In my limited experience its exactly the opposite, home schoolers really seem to take full advantage of the community resources that are made available to everyone but which most people never use.

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #75
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChris View Post
I'm also going to look up this "home school days" thing. I had no idea that existed. Its so great to discover all the interesting resources and community associated with homeschooling. I'm definitely going to be pointing it out to all those people who think home schoolers are a bunch of hermits. In my limited experience its exactly the opposite, home schoolers really seem to take full advantage of the community resources that are made available to everyone but which most people never use.
You'll probably find that, just in the time you're on your homeschool adventure, more and more things open up as it becomes even more mainstream. We started when my youngest was 4 or 5. He's 12 now, and I can't get over how differently we're accepted now or how many more opportunities we have. We're pretty lucky to be h/sing during this time, and I'm incredibly grateful for the h/s pioneers who went before us and made a lot of it possible.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: