Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #16
Tink561
DIS Veteran

I'm glad we're on our 2nd thread! I'm down to one student this year. My oldest son graduated in 2007- he will finish his AS in December, my middle son graduated this past year and will start culinary school this fall. My youngest son went back to school his sophomore year. He graduates this year and has recently enlisted in the Marines. He will go to basic about a month after graduation.

So, that leaves me with my 4.5 year old daughter. We're going Kindergarten this year. I'm using Sonlight P4/5, McRuffy Math K and McRuffy Phonics K. She is also going to take an American Girl class for younger girls, ages 5-7. They will be studying Felicity this year. I think she needs a new doll and I can count it as a school supply.
Tink561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #17
PoohBear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my*2*angels View Post
Does anyone on here use Saxon math??? This is my first year of homeschooling, and alot of people recommended this, but now I am not so sure!? We have only completed one day of homeschool, but my DD has already taken the first 4 test and made a 100 on all of them. We have not done the first lesson, I just gave her all of the test because she kept telling me"Mom I already know that!"LOL I don't want her to get bored, I am just wondering what you all use for Math, and if there is something better suited to her. Thanks!!!

Mindy
Definitely take the advice of PP...take placement tests and there may be some review in the first few weeks. But I can speak from some experience with Saxon Math. My kids have been in catholic school, homeschool and cyberschool. I used Saxon Math on my oldest and what I can say is that he just took placement tests at a couple of colleges last week. He scored off of the charts on both of their exams in all subjects and he is 16. So, I am guessing that the Saxon Math did the job. He never had any problem understanding any of the videos. I did have my kids take the placement tests on Saxon's website before ordering the appropriate one and it seems to work out for us. Hope this helps
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #18
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by my*2*angels View Post
Does anyone on here use Saxon math??? This is my first year of homeschooling, and alot of people recommended this, but now I am not so sure!? We have only completed one day of homeschool, but my DD has already taken the first 4 test and made a 100 on all of them. We have not done the first lesson, I just gave her all of the test because she kept telling me"Mom I already know that!"LOL I don't want her to get bored, I am just wondering what you all use for Math, and if there is something better suited to her. Thanks!!!

Mindy
We use Saxon. We switched to it last year (kids were in 4th and 6th). We ended up modifying it just a bit -- skipping through the chapters that had a lot of review until we got to a point I felt they would be learning new material.

We just started this year's, and we're doing the same thing--moving ahead to the material they're ready for.

It only works this way, of course, if you know they know the material inside and out. It's just the way my guys work best -- I just don't see the point in making them go over and over and over material they already know. A little review is fine -- too much completely turns them off.

That said, they don't adore Saxon (it's more serious and less fun and colorful than their elementary work), but it definitely does the job -- they did great on end-of-grade testing last year.

Hope you have a great year!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #19
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Hello all!! This is the second part of our homeschool thread....the mods will be closing the other one soon,...so I thought we should get started over here!! Come on over and keep talkin "shop"!!
I thought that thread was pushing the limit -- thanks for opening this new one! Love "talking shop" with people who are also Disney-philes!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
Jacoby 46
Run Disney in November!

We are going on our 2nd week of HS for the first time and we are doing wonderful!! It is such a great feeling to know I am helping my children with their education!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
my*2*angels
DIS Veteran

Saxon Math??

Thank you all for your advice! I think I am going to try and skip ahead to some things she isn't familiar with and try and supplement with some other things! Next year I will know better about the placement test!!! I am learning!!!!! Thanks again!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
mrsnj91
Mouseketeer

I would like to join!
I am just doing my youngest this year who will be in kindergarten. We won't be starting till the schools here begin and that is in about three weeks. I am rather excited and hope it works well. Just feeling my way through and getting my feet wet.
Megan (15)
Delaney (8)
Aug. 2013 Discovery Cove/Seaworld/Disney Vacation (Windsor Hills Resort)
Aug. 2010 Universal/Seaworld/Disney Vacation (Vista Cay)
Aug. 2007 Disney Vacation @ Port Orleans Riverside!
mrsnj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
momo3hods
Mouseketeer

We just started our second year today. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader and 2nd grader. I use Saxon Math, Learning Language Arts Through Literature, and Lifepac for the core - Seton for the rest. My 5th grader is enrolled through Seton.
I swore when I was a teacher 12+ years ago I would NEVER homeschool and look at me now!!
I loved reading the old thread and am going to be sure to keep visiting this one - I welcome any and all support/advice as I love to learn how others are doing HSing!
Heather
Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Speaking of Saxon, anyone use the Saxon Grammar & Writing program? I thought we'd try it this year and it has me a little confused. It keeps referring to the vocabulary and spelling parts...and I can't find them in any book! What am I missing?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink561 View Post
I'm glad we're on our 2nd thread! I'm down to one student this year. My oldest son graduated in 2007- he will finish his AS in December, my middle son graduated this past year and will start culinary school this fall.
My 11yo is already choosing culinary schools. I'd love it if you could keep me posted on how he's doing and if he has any words of wisdom for things she should be focusing on to prepare! Right now, she's got a mean alfredo sauce and some pretty amazing cakes on her repertoire. She's working with fondant, gum paste, and modeling chocolate already!
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Any suggestions for reading help for an autistic child with hearing issues? I would like something that does phonics but works well with visual and kinestetic learners.
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Any suggestions for reading help for an autistic child with hearing issues? I would like something that does phonics but works well with visual and kinestetic learners.
My son has APD and I found many resources for his disability as well as those for Austism at www.linguisystems.com - You'll find curriculum, games, manipulatives, testing devices, and more.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #28
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle and crew View Post
You might want to introduce the thread as Julie did. It made the objectives clear. JMO.
Well, now....interesting to see you "here"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMCO View Post
Is Online School done at home considered Home Schooling? or should I start another thread? My DS is doing Online High School from home this year and
I'm a bit scared because it's all new to me, I'm sure everything we be OK.
Looking of other High Schoolers.
Depends on who you ask. For purposes of this thread, I would say it most certainly is. For that matter, we have had many pleasant discussions in the past with many who are not homeschooling at all, but just curious or looking for resources. Some folks consider Online schooling to be public school at home as you are not in charge of decisions about assignments, quality of work etc. But your kid is at home and you need suport, so to me this is a great place to find that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3hods View Post
We just started our second year today. I have a 5th grader, 3rd grader and 2nd grader. I use Saxon Math, Learning Language Arts Through Literature, and Lifepac for the core - Seton for the rest. My 5th grader is enrolled through Seton.
I swore when I was a teacher 12+ years ago I would NEVER homeschool and look at me now!!
I loved reading the old thread and am going to be sure to keep visiting this one - I welcome any and all support/advice as I love to learn how others are doing HSing!
Heather
I know such a huge number of previous teachers who now homeschool. It's like an epidemic or something.

What I thinik is really fun is that this is actually our THIRD thread. So, we are at over a total of 500 pages of homeschool chatting. How fun is that? Thanks for starting us off again before we got locked DisneyMommy3!

Our big change for this year is that DD is going to be starting high school at a local charter school in two weeks. Not too sure about this situation but we will see. There are some things I don't lke, but overall, I really don't want to homeschool her for high school. My boys, I probably will but they are more willing to do what I ask them to do without me having to check and recheck that they really did it. She seems to need accountability to someone else.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom3 View Post
Well, now....interesting to see you "here"

Depends on who you ask. For purposes of this thread, I would say it most certainly is. For that matter, we have had many pleasant discussions in the past with many who are not homeschooling at all, but just curious or looking for resources. Some folks consider Online schooling to be public school at home as you are not in charge of decisions about assignments, quality of work etc. But your kid is at home and you need suport, so to me this is a great place to find that!

I know such a huge number of previous teachers who now homeschool. It's like an epidemic or something.

What I thinik is really fun is that this is actually our THIRD thread. So, we are at over a total of 500 pages of homeschool chatting. How fun is that? Thanks for starting us off again before we got locked DisneyMommy3!

Our big change for this year is that DD is going to be starting high school at a local charter school in two weeks. Not too sure about this situation but we will see. There are some things I don't lke, but overall, I really don't want to homeschool her for high school. My boys, I probably will but they are more willing to do what I ask them to do without me having to check and recheck that they really did it. She seems to need accountability to someone else.

Your welcome! I was hoping you didn't think I was hijacking you! I was just afraid it would get locked before the next one started!! Do you want me to change it to Part III?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Never mind...I went ahead and did it!! i would forget if i waited to long!! LOL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: