Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #196
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
There was also a trick to make the shape with your hands (like an "OK" sign). The "b" is "first" (as in on the left) while the "d" is last. I also remember something about holding out finger and thumb in an "L" shape, look and the real "L" is for Left.

Oh, that's a great one too! I love these ideas here! Super cute! I know the L one. It's the real L and it's to know which hand is left.

I also had to point out that (I really am a good speller) I spelled hours wrong in my previous post. I spelled it hourse. Ha, I added an e for some strange reason. Obviously just a type-o but had to laugh because I was talking about spelling issues.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #197
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Ok, so i've been reading through the first homeschool thread (lots of reading to do, i'm very excited) And i've seen Rainbow Resource mentioned a lot. Well i just clicked on a link to check it out and There is the perfect phonics book that i'm going to buy for dd11. It's only around $8 and is a practice workbook for kids that have not received the proper phonics skills. The sample pages were working with vowels, it teaches about the silent e and the y as a consonant or vowel, vowel pairs like ea, that is a big struggle for her. That's exactly what she needs. It's a 5th grade book, so nothing too "babyish" I wanted to make sure what I got for her wasn't geared toward 1st or 2nd graders. I think it's going to be easy enough as not to be "too much extra work" for her right now and enough of a little boost. I'm super excited about my find!!! And she knows she struggles of course and it bothers her so I can see her pulling this workbook out even when i'm at work at night.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #198
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
There was also a trick to make the shape with your hands (like an "OK" sign). The "b" is "first" (as in on the left) while the "d" is last. I also remember something about holding out finger and thumb in an "L" shape, look and the real "L" is for Left.
I have heard that one too. The one that worked for my boys was that when you make a b sound, your mouth makes a line. When you make the d sound, your tongue makes a circle inside your mouth. They are both really kinesthetic learners so that worked for them.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #199
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Ok, so i've been reading through the first homeschool thread (lots of reading to do, i'm very excited) And i've seen Rainbow Resource mentioned a lot. Well i just clicked on a link to check it out and There is the perfect phonics book that i'm going to buy for dd11. It's only around $8 and is a practice workbook for kids that have not received the proper phonics skills. The sample pages were working with vowels, it teaches about the silent e and the y as a consonant or vowel, vowel pairs like ea, that is a big struggle for her. That's exactly what she needs. It's a 5th grade book, so nothing too "babyish" I wanted to make sure what I got for her wasn't geared toward 1st or 2nd graders. I think it's going to be easy enough as not to be "too much extra work" for her right now and enough of a little boost. I'm super excited about my find!!! And she knows she struggles of course and it bothers her so I can see her pulling this workbook out even when i'm at work at night.

Do you mind sharing the link? My son is in the same boat as your daughter and I'd love to find something to help him so he can spell better!
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #200
NHWX
DIS Veteran

another letter trick

Think of the word "bed" - the straight lines form the head and foot boards of a bed. It's kind of hard to explain with just text but if you write the word out fairly large, then you can draw a little bed/mattress over the curved portions of the b and d along with the e.

Mind you, I spelled else as "eles" for years because I thought that it should rhythmical like that: e-l-e-s. Ugh.

NHWX
NHWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #201
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Ok, so i've been reading through the first homeschool thread (lots of reading to do, i'm very excited) And i've seen Rainbow Resource mentioned a lot. Well i just clicked on a link to check it out and
The Rainbow Resource catalog should come with a warning label! I took that bad boy to "flip through" while I waited for the guys at football practice, and I felt like a kid going through the Christmas Wish Book. By the time I got home, half the book was dog-eared with stuff I wanted to get!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #202
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGirl View Post
Think of the uppercase letter as the parent and the lowercase as the child. The lower case "d" faces his Dad and the lower case "b" does not. I hope that makes sense. I struggled with this for a long time and that little mind picture helped me.
This is adorable!

Kind of a thread drift, but this reminded me about a word to teach about the waxing/waning moon. I believe "o" or even "oo" was in the middle of the word, and on either side was a letter that represented the half-moon stage prior -- either the left half or the right...not explaining this very well, but is it ringing any bells for anyone? It's supposed to help you remember, if you look in the sky and see a half moon, if it's becoming full or if it is becoming a new moon. (And you can tell how well it worked, because I can't remember a single thing, lol.) Anyone?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #203
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

nicolepa, it's Rainbowresource.com and then on the left hand side you can click on any subject. Go to phonics and it will give you some different choices. I looked through them to find one that had my dd's grade level and you can view a sample page or two as well. Most of the phonic's books were very cheap, the one i'm ordering was around $8. I spoke with my friend at work who is a special education teacher and she told me getting a phonics book for my daughter was the best thing to do. Too many schools are doing away with phonics and kids need that. I know my daughters have never had phonics in the PS.

NHWX, Oh, that one's great too. Well, out of all of these great ideas, one of them is bound to stick for her. She'll appreciate it. Thanks

polkadotsuitcase, I know it should. Just going through the website was like And I only skimmed through. I know i'll take the catalog to work and find quite a few things I want/need.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #204
Dopeygirl
Travellin' Gal

Joining in as well. We're almost finished with week #7 of our year. Somehow we totally forgot to do any work yesterday though. I'm not at all sure how that happened! We were able to mostly catch up today.

Rainbow Resource rocks. Just placed my third order this school year. I need them to be a local store, though, shipping gets ridiculous!!

Next week we're starting a big unit study on Hawai'i. I'm pretty excited, I've put together a lot of fun things including several field trips. Should be a fun couple weeks.

~Tricia~
Mama to E (10/04), B (01/08) and M (04/10)
Military wife
Next Trip...Disneyland October '12

Find me on Facebook!
Dopeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #205
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

We had so much fun at Williamsburg for HS days! Back to reality come Monday.
I know WDW has HS days and that is wonderful, but Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown are great if you are studying American history.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #206
minniefan65
Mouseketeer

Our PBS station shows Word World. DS8 is a late reader (speech issues prevented him from correctly correlating sounds and letters) and he really likes the show. When he can't the difference between b & d he starts singing the song.
minniefan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #207
antree
DIS Veteran

We just received our K12 curriculum, my DS 8 is so excited to start this year. I hope he stays excited. I know we are starting late this year, I was undecided what to use this year. Now if I can only figure out the website. We start tomorrow the 2oth, hope I figure it out before then.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #208
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
We just received our K12 curriculum, my DS 8 is so excited to start this year. I hope he stays excited. I know we are starting late this year, I was undecided what to use this year. Now if I can only figure out the website. We start tomorrow the 2oth, hope I figure it out before then.
Are you independent or thru a Virtual Academy? They made "improvements" this year for the VA's and it has made navigating much more difficult IMO. Let me know if you need help!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #209
antree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
Are you independent or thru a Virtual Academy? They made "improvements" this year for the VA's and it has made navigating much more difficult IMO. Let me know if you need help!
Hi Nicolepa, I am independent. They told me to sign on the night before we start, but that's it. I don't know what to do I signed on, but then what. LOL. My sons name is there The daily planning, weekly planning and lesson planning, all that stuff is there and its all blank. Do I fill it in? and if so how? It doesn't let me do anything. I'm just so confused. Now if tomorrow he has online work to do, how will I know where it is or when to do it? I didn't realize it was so confusing. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for any help you can give.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #210
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
Hi Nicolepa, I am independent. They told me to sign on the night before we start, but that's it. I don't know what to do I signed on, but then what. LOL. My sons name is there The daily planning, weekly planning and lesson planning, all that stuff is there and its all blank. Do I fill it in? and if so how? It doesn't let me do anything. I'm just so confused. Now if tomorrow he has online work to do, how will I know where it is or when to do it? I didn't realize it was so confusing. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for any help you can give.

No, you shouldn't have to fill anything it. If you look at the weekly plan and it's blank, it sounds to me like they haven't uploaded his classes yet. You should be seeing a list of his classes. Once the classes are uploaded it will tell you what to do each day.

If you go into Schedule Setup do you see your classes there?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: