Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1846
dis-happy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
My reply went missing ??

I've not heard of life of Fred. Where do you find these?
I order nearly everything from Rainbow Resource. We did the Life of Fred statistics course for my high schooler and really enjoyed it.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #1847
lucigo
DIS Veteran
 
lucigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chester, VA/Pace, FL
Posts: 2,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Is anyone on here from Georgia? I am about to pull out my autistic son and I've never pulled any of mine out during school before. They always started at the beginning of the year. I'm just wondering about the process. The GA law says you only have to notify the school.

I've been doing this for 11 years, and I'm so nervous about this. Nervous about him being different, about being able to get him to see me as a teacher and not just mom.

I have no clue what curriculum to use for a 4 th grade autistic child and no time to plan!
Since you are right at the end of the year why don't you try something online like Time4Learning. This way you aren't buying all kinds of curriculum half way through. I have a child with autism and it works well for him because it has a lot of animated, short lessons. You can also use brainpop.
__________________
lucigo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #1848
lucigo
DIS Veteran
 
lucigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chester, VA/Pace, FL
Posts: 2,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Hi. I've been on the Dis for over a year, but for some reason haven't really commented in the homeschool threads. We homeschool our children and have homeschooled the teens for almost 10 years. Recently, I decided to try an online program to supplement my DD6's curriculum. She's doing K5 Learning. Had anyone used this program?
I am using it to supplement Time4Learning to teach my son the times tables. Its going well.
__________________
lucigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #1849
GusGus77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
My reply went missing ??

I've not heard of life of Fred. Where do you find these?
Here is their website, but you can order them from many different resources.

http://lifeoffredmath.com/
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1850
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Not sure what type of learner but I'm guessing he's visual. When he hyperfocuses on some subject, he will read about it for hours and he can tell you everything about it. One of the things he gets obsessive about is Disney. So he's got all the Birnbaum's-the kids and the regular ones-and he memorized everything. He knows the entire Disney timeline by heart and can tell you all the milestones
Wow, that's great that he loves learning facts about Disney. Does he have the Imagineer's Guides to the parks?

Sorry I can't help you with a math curriculum.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #1851
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place
 
Nanu57v's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Has anyone used the Explode the Code program online vs. the books? I know it is more expensive, but I tried the demo with dd today and she seemed to enjoy it. We have not used the books, though, just seen them and heard about them. Wondering pros and cons if anyone is familiar with the online program? We will probably due handwriting separately, so we will be using it solely from a phonics perspective.

Yes!!! I think the online version is a much better value. If you purchase through homeschoolbuyerscoop.com, its much cheaper...like $38 a year I think? We used it my DD's whole first grade year. She got through many of the "books" so that I didn't think it was worth the value to go through another year...but its definitely worth it! She now reads at a 5th grade level (at 7)...another reason I think she's past phonics need. And she thought it was a game!
__________________
15+ (lost count!) to WDW: Golf Resort (now SOG), Polynesian (honeymoon!), Caribbean Beach, AS Sports & Music, POP, BCV, BWV, AKL-Kidani, BLT

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #1852
o2bnoz
I'm more like Eeyore and Pooh than I care to admit...
 
o2bnoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 302

Joining

I'm the Mom of an 8 year old extremely gifted child. We are homeschooling him after trying every avenue at our disposal (montessori, public, "gifted" school) with no success.

We made the decision a couple of weeks into his 1st grade year. We are in grade 3 and he's doing unbelievably well. We are working on the socialization, although it's hard because, as a gifted child, his idea of socialization is not the same as many 8 year olds. We struggle with this a great deal (me more than him!).

He's starting piano lessons and we are going to do soccer in another month. He will also do 4-H this year. We have searched for kids with similar interests, in our area, but we have had little luck. I'm hopeful that more opportunities will arise, but we are certain that we are making the right decision for now.

My husband does the schooling during the day. I work more than full-time. My Mom comes to do the English and Literature (my husband is dyslexic).

More than you probably wanted to know, but I'm excited to find this group!

I'm also a Disneyaholic and we are planning our next trip for the beginning of December.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you!

Dee
__________________
o2bnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1853
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place
 
Nanu57v's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bnoz View Post
I'm the Mom of an 8 year old extremely gifted child. We are homeschooling him after trying every avenue at our disposal (montessori, public, "gifted" school) with no success.

We made the decision a couple of weeks into his 1st grade year. We are in grade 3 and he's doing unbelievably well. We are working on the socialization, although it's hard because, as a gifted child, his idea of socialization is not the same as many 8 year olds. We struggle with this a great deal (me more than him!).

He's starting piano lessons and we are going to do soccer in another month. He will also do 4-H this year. We have searched for kids with similar interests, in our area, but we have had little luck. I'm hopeful that more opportunities will arise, but we are certain that we are making the right decision for now.

My husband does the schooling during the day. I work more than full-time. My Mom comes to do the English and Literature (my husband is dyslexic).

More than you probably wanted to know, but I'm excited to find this group!

I'm also a Disneyaholic and we are planning our next trip for the beginning of December.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you!

Dee
How do you accommodate at home? Higher grade level or deeper learning?
__________________
15+ (lost count!) to WDW: Golf Resort (now SOG), Polynesian (honeymoon!), Caribbean Beach, AS Sports & Music, POP, BCV, BWV, AKL-Kidani, BLT

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #1854
GusGus77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
Yes!!! I think the online version is a much better value. If you purchase through homeschoolbuyerscoop.com, its much cheaper...like $38 a year I think? We used it my DD's whole first grade year. She got through many of the "books" so that I didn't think it was worth the value to go through another year...but its definitely worth it! She now reads at a 5th grade level (at 7)...another reason I think she's past phonics need. And she thought it was a game!
Thanks! I didn't see it currently on the site, though. I was thinking of buying it in the next couple of months as my dd has already gone through all the phonics I had for her for the year and it is only February!!! (And she loves being on the computer!)
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #1855
rizzo0904
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 206

Been skimming through and would like some advice.

My 4 year old son goes to PK at a Catholic school. He LOVES going and I have no intention of pulling him, but I'd like to do some sort of summer school at home so he doesn't have 8-10 weeks of "nothing". But I have no idea where to start! I think I'd like to focus on early reading skills. He knows his letters, the sounds they make, and how to write upper and lower case. We've just started on sight words. I'd also like an age appropriate math curriculum to follow.

Other types of learning go on all the time...we garden, compost, recycle. He does karate and will be attending two weeks of Lego camp (kid is CRAZY good at Legos). We enjoy hiking and exploring. We do letterboxing and geocaching. So I'm not looking to spend a large chunk of the day with formal learning, but do want to continue to build on what he has learned this year.

TIA!
rizzo0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #1856
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Been skimming through and would like some advice.

My 4 year old son goes to PK at a Catholic school. He LOVES going and I have no intention of pulling him, but I'd like to do some sort of summer school at home so he doesn't have 8-10 weeks of "nothing". But I have no idea where to start! I think I'd like to focus on early reading skills. He knows his letters, the sounds they make, and how to write upper and lower case. We've just started on sight words. I'd also like an age appropriate math curriculum to follow.

Other types of learning go on all the time...we garden, compost, recycle. He does karate and will be attending two weeks of Lego camp (kid is CRAZY good at Legos). We enjoy hiking and exploring. We do letterboxing and geocaching. So I'm not looking to spend a large chunk of the day with formal learning, but do want to continue to build on what he has learned this year.

TIA!

You can pick up some workbooks at almost any store that sells books(Kumon or JumpStart and many others) or look online for free downloads. JumpStart is a computer based game that changes as your child learns. I would get maybe a K book and work that or review with him and aim for @ 30min
__________________


Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1857
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place
 
Nanu57v's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Thanks! I didn't see it currently on the site, though. I was thinking of buying it in the next couple of months as my dd has already gone through all the phonics I had for her for the year and it is only February!!! (And she loves being on the computer!)
Here's the link to it https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.or...de-online/?c=1
__________________
15+ (lost count!) to WDW: Golf Resort (now SOG), Polynesian (honeymoon!), Caribbean Beach, AS Sports & Music, POP, BCV, BWV, AKL-Kidani, BLT

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #1858
GusGus77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
Awesome, thanks! I don't know how I missed it on their site!!!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #1859
momimouse27
Just a Big Kid!
 
momimouse27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 774

Well, we've had three days under our belt and it's going ok.

Tuesday and Thursday are harder because my older daughter is also there. Got much of what I need but I'd love recommendations for a geography curriculum for fourth grade.
momimouse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #1860
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Well, we've had three days under our belt and it's going ok.

Tuesday and Thursday are harder because my older daughter is also there. Got much of what I need but I'd love recommendations for a geography curriculum for fourth grade.
Check out Geography Matters. They have lots of neat stuff for geography for all grade levels.

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/
__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

2/11 - 3/12 - 5/13 - 5/14 - 8/14 - Planning: 1/15 - 5/15 - 8/15

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: