Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #1711
Pollyanna Poppins
DIS Veteran

Just got back from Disney's Homeschool Days and they announced the dates of the next one to be either January or April (I can't remember which). If you are thinking of a Disney trip it was well worth enduring the one hour class to save BIG on tickets. We had a great time and thankfully saw the new Fantasyland expansion as well. Any other homeschool families out there who just got back from your trip?
Pollyanna Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #1712
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

My husband and I have made the decision to homeschool our youngest child. She is in the 7th grade, this will be our first experience in homeschool. We also have son who is in 10th grade who will remain in public school. I honestly never thought that this would be something we would do but I am severely disappointed in our new school district (we just moved here over the summer)My daughter had a difficult first few weeks and then became the target of bullying, the school offered no help and support. I honestly feel like making her stay in school in this city would be a severe detriment to her.

Both myself and my husband work outside the home as we are not financially able live off one income. My employer has agreed to allow me to work a modified schedule everyday as long as I maintain 32-35 hours so I can keep my benefits. I really don't even know where to begin, I have searched all over the internet but most of what I find is advertisement, so I decided to turn to my dis family. I am really in need of some support and resources. I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1713
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

Miniefan- First of all take a deep breath and relax. Homeschooling can be very easy in this day and age with technology and books. I also pulled my daughter out of public school this year to homeschool, but we had homeschooled several years ago.

I suggest taking a good look at how your child has done in the past academically and what are here strong and weak areas. For example my daughter is very good at math, but is terrible at spelling and writing. So for the first semester we focused on spelling, vocabulary, transcription, and then added a bit of math, science, history and reading.

Check out homeschoolreviews.com where other people weigh in on what they think of various curriculum's. You can buy a complete curriculum from 1 company or buy different subjects from different companies. Also check into if your state has a virtual school. This can be very helpful in you have a teacher to help you as well. We did this for 2 years and liked it. Another good resource is cathyduffyreviews.com Her book helps you figure out what type of homeschooling you want to, and she gives you her recommendations.

There are lots of good resources out there for free as well that you can use. It's very confusing at first, but pintrest can help.

Good luck and have a great year homeschooling.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #1714
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniefan View Post
My husband and I have made the decision to homeschool our youngest child. She is in the 7th grade, this will be our first experience in homeschool. We also have son who is in 10th grade who will remain in public school. I honestly never thought that this would be something we would do but I am severely disappointed in our new school district (we just moved here over the summer)My daughter had a difficult first few weeks and then became the target of bullying, the school offered no help and support. I honestly feel like making her stay in school in this city would be a severe detriment to her.

Both myself and my husband work outside the home as we are not financially able live off one income. My employer has agreed to allow me to work a modified schedule everyday as long as I maintain 32-35 hours so I can keep my benefits. I really don't even know where to begin, I have searched all over the internet but most of what I find is advertisement, so I decided to turn to my dis family. I am really in need of some support and resources. I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!

I agree with the PP, take a deep breath. It will be okay.

Question: Do you want a Christian based curriculum or not?

That will lead you to different places. If you don't need or want a Christian based curriculum than look into virtual school. Where your DD is attending school but online. IF that is not what you are looking for than, there is CBD which offers tons of homeschooling options and books. Rainbow Resource is another good place to look. Alpha Omega and Abeka are two programs that I know that offer self study programs that a 13yr old should be able to do on her own. But they are Christian based.

I would also recommend you look for a local homeschool group. They can help with curriculum and enrichment for DD and encouragement for you. HSLDA can be a good resource for that.

Good luck

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #1715
Jenny-Bell
Sprinkling the kids with pixie dust...

New to the thread...

Hi all! I am new to the thread! I am Jenny I home school my boys (kindergarten and second grade). My oldest has Autism, high anxiety, and lots of delays. Our experience with the public school was a horrible one and that road ultimately led to homeschooling as my best option. I love it so much, that even though my youngest started Kindergarten in Public School, I pulled him out about 3 weeks in. Just missed him too much and I was extremely unhappy with what they were working on in his classroom (things he already mastered 2+ years ago).

Anyways, that's the shortest version of that story I have ever told! Yay me!

Looking to see if anyone is in Maryland by chance?

Also...any thoughts on a good science program? Specifically life science?

Thanks!!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...
Jenny-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #1716
Aunt Stepody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!
I work 24 hours a week 7p-7a, and I homeschool my 4th grader and 8th grader. After working all night, I come in and take a "nap." My boys take an on-line world history class and read their literature while I'm resting. When I awake, we do math, spelling, grammar, and science. The beauty of homeschool is you have so much flexibility. Enjoy this time with your daughter. It was the best decision we ever made. Good luck.
Aunt Stepody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #1717
jennykay
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Just wanted to chime in with a little more encouragement. No, not everyone who homeschools has a stay at home parent. No, you're not asking too much of a 13 year old. I agree with PPs- relax, breathe, and know that you're doing what's best for your daughter. You'll get the details worked out! My first suggestion for new homeschoolers is always, always find a support group. You need it and so does your daughter. My next suggestion is don't feel you need to rush out and buy a full curriculum immediately. Your daughter has been under a lot of stress. Let her decompress for a few weeks and don't feel bad about it.

You can do this! Your daughter can do this! It will take some time to get the kinks worked out, but you'll be ok.

1989-offsite
1992-one day in MK-offsite
9/2007-Pop Century - MNSSHP
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
jennykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #1718
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hello neighbor I am in the process of making a decision regarding our DD (4th grade) at the moment. It is a hard decision for me because I & my children were raised in the public school. I don't want to make a mistake, but I'm thinking we are going to end up homeschooling her. We just had another morning of crying because she doesn't want to go to school. She says other students are mean to her, she now sits alone at lunch. I just had a conference with her teachers & they claim they don't see anything wrong during the day. She told me this morning that if she goes she will walk out of the school. It's like they are beating her down. She is gifted & has always had an amazing outlook on everything. She is unique & has always been a very happy & outgoing child. Now she is moody & sometimes defiant. I expressed this to the teachers (she has two) & they said maybe it is hormones. I left a message with the school counselor this morning & gave a brief explanation of what is going on & asked her to speak with my DD. I have yet to hear anything back, I thought she would atleast call me to get more information. I'm not happy over that right now either.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi since I noticed that your so close by. I have to say that I haven't heard too much about the NN school system, but welcome to the area.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #1719
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyann

Hello neighbor I am in the process of making a decision regarding our DD (4th grade) at the moment. It is a hard decision for me because I & my children were raised in the public school. I don't want to make a mistake, but I'm thinking we are going to end up homeschooling her. We just had another morning of crying because she doesn't want to go to school. She says other students are mean to her, she now sits alone at lunch. I just had a conference with her teachers & they claim they don't see anything wrong during the day. She told me this morning that if she goes she will walk out of the school. It's like they are beating her down. She is gifted & has always had an amazing outlook on everything. She is unique & has always been a very happy & outgoing child. Now she is moody & sometimes defiant. I expressed this to the teachers (she has two) & they said maybe it is hormones. I left a message with the school counselor this morning & gave a brief explanation of what is going on & asked her to speak with my DD. I have yet to hear anything back, I thought she would atleast call me to get more information. I'm not happy over that right now either.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi since I noticed that your so close by. I have to say that I haven't heard too much about the NN school system, but welcome to the area.
I think it would do wonders for your daughter if you started homeschooling. I'm so sorry she's going through such a had time at school! It sounds like they aren't doing much to help.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #1720
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Unsolicited opinions from strangers!

Wow...I guess I am just surprised that so many people are so defensive about the school systems and the "correct" way to educate children. How do you handle this?

I have had several instances since we moved here of people emphatically defending the schools here, like I am insulting them by homeschooling my children.

My husband is a certified middle school math/science and ESE teacher and my degree and career are more toward English and the arts. We are both highly trained in the needs of children with autism and have worked very hard at decoding our son with autism, and my 17yo daughter is old enough to know whether she prefers virtual school over brick and morter. We are doing what works for us!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #1721
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
Wow...I guess I am just surprised that so many people are so defensive about the school systems and the "correct" way to educate children. How do you handle this?

I have had several instances since we moved here of people emphatically defending the schools here, like I am insulting them by homeschooling my children.

My husband is a certified middle school math/science and ESE teacher and my degree and career are more toward English and the arts. We are both highly trained in the needs of children with autism and have worked very hard at decoding our son with autism, and my 17yo daughter is old enough to know whether she prefers virtual school over brick and morter. We are doing what works for us!

I don't know much about the homeschooling experience since we are just now delving into it. I will say though, I have received a great deal of criticism about our decision, from family, friends, co-workers etc. I will admit that in the beginning it worried me and made me question my decisions, but at the end of the day I know that this is my child, I know her better than anyone else and I know what being in the public school system was doing to her.

I think it has to do with people just being narrow minded and also misinformed. You say HOMESCHOOL and most people have this picture in their mind of this particular lifestyle- almost DUGGAResque. (I mean no disrespect to anyone by this) I think people just naturally oppose anything that is out of the norm. I don't know.

Forgot to add----> Lucigo- I am from Pensacola, Fl and have many friends that live in the Pensacola, Pace and Milton area.

Last edited by Miniefan; 11-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Miniefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #1722
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

I don't know how to multi-quote but I want to let everyone know that I thank you for your thoughts, advice, kinds words, and advice. I have always been able to rely on my dis family to give me an honest opinion.

I am at home on FMLA at the moment, and we will begin our studies next week. I haven't decided whether or not I am going back to work, I am trying to let my daughter adjust and decompress at the moment. We will revisit this in a week or two.

Thanks guys!!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1723
Jenny-Bell
Sprinkling the kids with pixie dust...

Quote:
I don't know much about the homeschooling experience since we are just now delving into it. I will say though, I have received a great deal of criticism about our decision, from family, friends, co-workers etc. I will admit that in the beginning it worried me and made me question my decisions, but at the end of the day I know that this is my child, I know her better than anyone else and I know what being in the public school system was doing to her.

I think it has to do with people just being narrow minded and also misinformed. You say HOMESCHOOL and most people have this picture in their mind of this particular lifestyle- almost DUGGAResque. (I mean no disrespect to anyone by this) I think people just naturally oppose anything that is out of the norm. I don't know.
When we started homeschooling my oldest (8, he has Autism) I was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from family, friends and everyone else. I still receive comments from people in the special needs community, that either have children with special needs or work with children with special needs.

For one, society tells us that you have kids, they turn five and you send them to school, very few people question this. For two, teachers may go to school to learn to teach, but they also learn to manage a classroom, deal with tests and superiors...they cannot teach to each individual child's strengths and weaknesses, they cannot necessarily bend their curriculum to work for each child. Many people do not realize this until they either have a child who is being let down by the system or until they take a very close look at what their child may be able to accomplish in a different environment.

My oldest (with autism) was not only not learning anything, but he developed extremely high anxiety, started regressing and showing very alarming behaviors because of the school system, I was not about to let anyone tell me that he was better off in school than at home with me.

I once was one that cared very much about what other people thought and I was terrified to tell anyone when we decided to pull my youngest out of public school as well. But I have since learnt to take on a more "screw the world" attitude to it all. I am proud to say that I was not thrilled when (public) school started again and I was the only one of my friends saying that I was dreading sending my youngest off to school. I was much less concerned with having the day to myself and much more concerned with the thought that my child was going to be sitting there for 7 hours a day, being held back from reaching his potential.

I completely respect other parents decision to send their kids to public school, I even find it funny when they say they don't have the patience or aren't disciplined enough to stick with it. It's fine, I get that...I just didn't have the patience to fight with adults on how they need to teach my children anymore, I would much rather do it myself.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own children and regardless of the decisions we make and who may not agree with them, we are doing what we feel is best. Eventually people learn not to comment about it anymore when they realize it won't change your mind.

Hugs!!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...
Jenny-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #1724
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Forgot to add----> Lucigo- I am from Pensacola, Fl and have many friends that live in the Pensacola, Pace and Milton area.
I know exactly what you mean! How do you like Virginia? I'm finding it a bit cold LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #1725
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny-Bell View Post
When we started homeschooling my oldest (8, he has Autism) I was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from family, friends and everyone else. I still receive comments from people in the special needs community, that either have children with special needs or work with children with special needs.

For one, society tells us that you have kids, they turn five and you send them to school, very few people question this. For two, teachers may go to school to learn to teach, but they also learn to manage a classroom, deal with tests and superiors...they cannot teach to each individual child's strengths and weaknesses, they cannot necessarily bend their curriculum to work for each child. Many people do not realize this until they either have a child who is being let down by the system or until they take a very close look at what their child may be able to accomplish in a different environment.

My oldest (with autism) was not only not learning anything, but he developed extremely high anxiety, started regressing and showing very alarming behaviors because of the school system, I was not about to let anyone tell me that he was better off in school than at home with me.

I once was one that cared very much about what other people thought and I was terrified to tell anyone when we decided to pull my youngest out of public school as well. But I have since learnt to take on a more "screw the world" attitude to it all. I am proud to say that I was not thrilled when (public) school started again and I was the only one of my friends saying that I was dreading sending my youngest off to school. I was much less concerned with having the day to myself and much more concerned with the thought that my child was going to be sitting there for 7 hours a day, being held back from reaching his potential.

I completely respect other parents decision to send their kids to public school, I even find it funny when they say they don't have the patience or aren't disciplined enough to stick with it. It's fine, I get that...I just didn't have the patience to fight with adults on how they need to teach my children anymore, I would much rather do it myself.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own children and regardless of the decisions we make and who may not agree with them, we are doing what we feel is best. Eventually people learn not to comment about it anymore when they realize it won't change your mind.

Hugs!!
I can relate very well to your post. At first I wasn't even sure that I knew what my son needed, or if I had the patience to make it work, and if I could find a balance with having him home 24/7. He started therapy at 18 months,and went into the school system at age 3. I am very grateful for the socialization he received and in my opinion up to this point that was worth sending him to school. But now (3rd grade) school is much more about academics and much less about socialization. We are finding what works, and its NOT sitting in a classroom with 20 other kids. It involves animated computer lessons, lots of standing, moving around, frequent breaks, and knowing when you can do a little more and when you are DONE for the day. It involves lots of trips into the community even though he always says he doesn't want to go, but has fun once he is out!

The funny thing I have realized is I have quite a shell regarding his autism, the looks and comments, etc. Those people I shrug off as ignorant. Guess I was just surprised to find there is such an emotional response with homeschooling. Now we have a double whammy! LOL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: