Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #1696
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWX View Post
Quick reply kimmyann - High school is definitely doable. We went through North Atlantic Regional High School (www.narhs.org) to get a diploma.

As far as gifted education at the high school level, we picked and chose courses as needed. We used/will use our state's virtual charter academy, Johns Hopkins CTD, Oklahoma State's German program, Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and coursera.org. My math/science kids have taken AP Calculus AB & BC, AP Statistics and AP Computer Science. One's in college and the other one's applying this year.
Thank you, I will check this out. I don't think our state has a charter program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momimouse27 View Post
Hi, kimmyann. It sounds like you have a tough decision. Since I don't work outside the home, I can't address that . But, I can address some of the other stuff, like high school.

I have three- a sophomore in college(homeschooled since 3rd grade), a sophomore in high school(in a private 3day/wk program but homeschooled all the way thru this year) and a 4th grade in public school autism classroom.

High school diploma- depends on what your daughters college plans will be. I have actually heard from someone in the homeschool community not to get GED, that it hurts in getting scholarships...I don't if it's true but you can check it out. Many colleges now are very homeschool friendly. The diploma is actually less important than scoring well on the SAT or ACT. If she has high scores, she'll get in and she will probably get scholarships. My daughter purposefully looked at private baptist schools that were I homeschool friendly. She is doing pretty well, except she hasn't figured out her major.

The part about selling family members on it...well, I guess to some degree you have to grit your teeth and choose not to care. That's what I did. After worrying over it, I decided that what I felt my daughter needed was a bigger issue for me than what family members thought. Most of them were supportive, but I had one who flat out told me I was ruining her-he didn't have any kids at the time. Now he does and I've even heard his wife say shed pull theirs out if it got bad. It's easy for someone to dispense advise when they don't live your life.

Good luck in your decision. It's scary at first I know. I will most likely have my son home when he gets to middle school...guess I'll be doing it all over again!
See, we are seeing the difficulties that can arise with a GED with our son, so I'm pretty positive we do not want to take that route with our daughter when the time comes. I know I shouldn't worry about anyone other than my own family, but I also know that it will be an issue to be dealt with. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
I've homeschooled into college and all I can say is, do not be afraid! I wrote up my own transcripts using a program called Transcript Pro. Am currently in the process of helping my second child with college apps. Every college takes homeschoolers and many have admissions officers that do nothing but homeschool applications. If you have a particular school in mind go meet with an admissions counselor during the high school years. Colleges tend to weigh SAT/ACT scores a little heavier ( since it objective). Take both the SAT and ACT...some kids do markedly better on one than the other. I had my kids do at least one dual enrollment class at the community college in order to show that they were ready for college level work. I also wrote up course descriptions with books listed and how the grade was assessed for each class we did in high school. Keep a record of their activities! You'll need that too. All in all, it's not a bad process as a homeschooler and very straightforward to be successful.
Thank you, I will surely look into the program for transcripts. I really appreciate all of your responses. This is a decision that I can't take lightly & I don't want to do it for the wrong reasons. It is helpful to hear from those that have done it for a number of years & I love success stories. Thanks again.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #1697
Lora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I don't post on this thread often. Mostly lurk. Are there others here homeschooling children with special needs?
I have some wonderful homeschool friends who are homeschooling their autistic children. I'm sure there are others in our group I am less familiar with. If you need a particular connection to other hs parents, feel free to msg me and I'll do what I can to connect you.

I did also want to mention that I received my HSLDA email yesterday and they had a link to a newsletter on homeschooling children with special needs. I've not read it, but here's the link: http://www.homeschoolfoundation.org/newsletter/1209/

Planning BWV - September 2014
BWV & AKV - September 2013 BWV - September 2012, 2011, BWV - October 2010, BWV and ASMov - September 2009 DCL and BWV - October 2008, BWV - September 2007, October 2006, September 2005, October 2004, September 2003 BWV and BCV - October 2002, BWV - May 2001, OKW and BWV - September 2000, DI Treehouse - August 1999 All-Star Sports - August 1994, Off-site - 1973, 1982, 1983, 1988
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #1698
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't post on this thread often. Mostly lurk. Are there others here homeschooling children with special needs?
I am homeschooling my 9yo son who has autism. This is our first year. It has been a learning process for both of us but I am slowly learning what works and what level he is at in each subject.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #1699
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by penel3 View Post
Hi, I am finally homeschooling my DS 12, he should be in 7th grade. This is my first time homeschooling, he is my only child. He has always had an IEP, and now a 504. multiple, multiple learning disabilities! It was stressful trying to find the correct curriculum that would work for him. There is absolutely NO complete package that fits. I have had to adapt every course to fit. I also must be present for almost every aspect of his day. One of our goals is to build his independent learning, etc. I overwhelmed myself pouring over curriculum reviews, but I realized that so many homeschool families are educating kids without any special needs....therefore those rave reviews didn't apply to my family. I identified his learning style (with the help of all his public school testing) and researched curriculum starting via that manner first. I feel like I am rambling...did you have any specific questions (although after only 5 weeks of this, I am not an expert)?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
What curriculums have you settled in with? I'm always curious to hear what works for different kids.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #1700
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Regarding the issue of college, when I started homeschooling my now 17yo daughter we talked to the local junior college (now called Pensacola State College). Their criteria for admission for homeschool students is a letter from the parent stating that they have completed a homeschool curriculum. They also (like everyone else) will take a placement test to determine which courses they will begin in for math and english. I had my daughter take this placement test as a junior for the experience and to see where we were. She did well, and could take dual enrollment classes. Unfortunately, we are temporarily in Virginia now so she can't actually do that, but I am confident that she won't have any trouble at all "getting in" to college.

I am a huge proponent in junior colleges as a first step to college, so this works very well for my family. Both my husband and my oldest daughter received AA's from PSC before going on to 4 year universities and then getting great jobs. But thats another post isn't it.

My 17-yo is taking some of her classes through Florida Virtual School, which uses Connections Academy curriculum.

Since you work, this would probably be a good option for you, because this way your child would have teachers for his classes. Look into K12 and Connections Academy for both full and part time options.

I work at home as a medical transcriptionist. My 17-yo is self sufficient but I'm almost 100% hands-on with homeschooling my 9-yo. Its been tough finding a balance, especially because of his autism. I find myself feeling like I did when he was 3, like I need to keep him engaged 24 hours a day or I'm not doing my job. It helps to have a schedule, and to use a timer for breaks, for both of us!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #1701
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo

What curriculums have you settled in with? I'm always curious to hear what works for different kids.
We are using Teaching Textbooks 7 for Math, Rainbow for Science, a combination of Focus on History (America) and the school text for Social Studies, and Language Arts we started with Rod and Staff (what was I thinking!!!), switched to grammar mechanics program on line when I realized how little he knew, and now are trying Time 4 Learning. In addition to the above, I try to find multiple video segments from various websites to reinforce all information....ie. science we viewed videos demonstrating forms of energy, social studies had videos for the Mayans/Aztec to start and now finding tons for Colonial Times, Language Arts we use Schoolhouse Rocks. I also subscribe to the Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips. I spend an average of 4-5 hours per weekend preparing the agenda for the week because I know he retains more if he can see a supporting video after the lesson, so I need to find these and view them to make sure it will work.

1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #1702
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
I have some wonderful homeschool friends who are homeschooling their autistic children. I'm sure there are others in our group I am less familiar with. If you need a particular connection to other hs parents, feel free to msg me and I'll do what I can to connect you.

I did also want to mention that I received my HSLDA email yesterday and they had a link to a newsletter on homeschooling children with special needs. I've not read it, but here's the link: http://www.homeschoolfoundation.org/newsletter/1209/
Thanks for the link. I do follow HSLDA on facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
I am homeschooling my 9yo son who has autism. This is our first year. It has been a learning process for both of us but I am slowly learning what works and what level he is at in each subject.
So glad to find another homeschooler with sensory issues!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We used Abeka DVD the 1st 2 years, but now that he is behind in reading we chose to stay with Abeka, but we are not using the DVD school this year. It's way more work for me as he needs constant supervision.

My oldest used Switched On, Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon. When he was in school, they used Bob Jones, Aplogia, Saxon, and The Shurley Method.

Are you a member of FPEA?

My son uses a balance disc to sit on when he sits on a chair to work. That way he can rock without tipping the chair over. Seems the more intense he thinks the more he rocks.

He takes alot of attention breaks. I try to get him to do the Infinity Walk as an attention break. Reading those letters on the wall really helps him to keep his place in reading.

When he gets stress out over something he'll ask to be brushed, Wilbarger Brushing Protocol.

I have to keep all toys and other distractions away from him.

He loves math and excels in it. Science is his favorite.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #1703
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by penel3 View Post
We are using Teaching Textbooks 7 for Math, Rainbow for Science, a combination of Focus on History (America) and the school text for Social Studies, and Language Arts we started with Rod and Staff (what was I thinking!!!), switched to grammar mechanics program on line when I realized how little he knew, and now are trying Time 4 Learning. In addition to the above, I try to find multiple video segments from various websites to reinforce all information....ie. science we viewed videos demonstrating forms of energy, social studies had videos for the Mayans/Aztec to start and now finding tons for Colonial Times, Language Arts we use Schoolhouse Rocks. I also subscribe to the Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips. I spend an average of 4-5 hours per weekend preparing the agenda for the week because I know he retains more if he can see a supporting video after the lesson, so I need to find these and view them to make sure it will work.

I'm going to have to look some of these up, we are still fairly new to all of this. We are currently using Time4Learning for language arts and math, and BrainPop Jr for Science, Social Studies and History. We also have some Mead workbooks in math, reading and problem solving, and we use Music Ace for music.

If you haven't checked it out, the brainpop videos are short and sweet and they have a lot of supporting ideas for lesson plans. My son loves the little cartoon that comes with each section, and this is actually the first "school" thing he wanted to continue past our daily lesson.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #1704
penel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo

I'm going to have to look some of these up, we are still fairly new to all of this. We are currently using Time4Learning for language arts and math, and BrainPop Jr for Science, Social Studies and History. We also have some Mead workbooks in math, reading and problem solving, and we use Music Ace for music.

If you haven't checked it out, the brainpop videos are short and sweet and they have a lot of supporting ideas for lesson plans. My son loves the little cartoon that comes with each section, and this is actually the first "school" thing he wanted to continue past our daily lesson.
Thanks for that info, I will check it out!

1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #1705
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I do follow HSLDA on facebook.

So glad to find another homeschooler with sensory issues!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We used Abeka DVD the 1st 2 years, but now that he is behind in reading we chose to stay with Abeka, but we are not using the DVD school this year. It's way more work for me as he needs constant supervision.

My oldest used Switched On, Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon. When he was in school, they used Bob Jones, Aplogia, Saxon, and The Shurley Method.

Are you a member of FPEA?

My son uses a balance disc to sit on when he sits on a chair to work. That way he can rock without tipping the chair over. Seems the more intense he thinks the more he rocks.

He takes alot of attention breaks. I try to get him to do the Infinity Walk as an attention break. Reading those letters on the wall really helps him to keep his place in reading.

When he gets stress out over something he'll ask to be brushed, Wilbarger Brushing Protocol.

I have to keep all toys and other distractions away from him.

He loves math and excels in it. Science is his favorite.
Checking into FPEA, I hadn't heard of it!

We also have problems with not being able to keep his little toosh planted on the chair! Many times I will just ask him to stand up. As I'm typing this he is sitting backwards on an office chair spinning in circles watching youtube videos on his ipad. I would be sick!

I have been working on getting rid of all of the distractions also. Its quite a challenge!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #1706
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Hey HomeSchooling Moms! Here's a tale for you...

My DS, whom I thought would never learn to read, just took the SAT's a couple of weeks ago. I was always glad I homeschooled him because I sincerely believe he would have been too distracted to sit through phonics in a regular classroom....any outside noise would totally frustrate and bother him. It took several long years before he read fluently, and after that learning to write essays was torturous. Howver, we forged on at his pace (with more dropped pencils than I could ever count or barely have the patience for....anyone else know this type of student? ). So!---results came out today and his reading score placed him at the 94%.

Take heart, eventually they get there (and may even surprise you!).
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #1707
penel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy

My DS, whom I thought would never learn to read, just took the SAT's a couple of weeks ago. I was always glad I homeschooled him because I sincerely believe he would have been too distracted to sit through phonics in a regular classroom....any outside noise would totally frustrate and bother him. It took several long years before he read fluently, and after that learning to write essays was torturous. Howver, we forged on at his pace (with more dropped pencils than I could ever count or barely have the patience for....anyone else know this type of student? ). So!---results came out today and his reading score placed him at the 94%.

Thank you and congratulations to you both! He sounds like my DS, now 12, and we are forging forward!!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #1708
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That's awesome, great job Mom.

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #1709
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congratulations to him!!

That's very encouraging to hear. Thanks for sharing!
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #1710
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy

That's great! Thanks for the encouragement.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: