Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #1651
antree
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the responses. We live in NJ. My son will be starting 5th grade. I have been home schooling him since the beginning. I spoke with the public school twice in the last 4 years and they told me they have nothing to do with home schooling and they didn't have to help me at all. So I never called them back.
I have been doing K12 independent for 2 yrs now. I know he struggles with spelling still, but can read all words without a problem, he just can't spell them..
I too just want to make sure I'm doing a good job. I worry every time a new year starts that I am teaching him right.
He panics under pressure, but does great in all the quizzes. So I'm pretty sure I'm doing good..
5th grade starts a different school this year, so I'm wondering if I should contact them and see what they say, or do I really have too I'm so confused. I just want to be doing right by my son.

Last edited by antree; 08-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #1652
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

antree,

My daughter is the same way, reads great, but can't spell. I'm using Megawords this year to help work on the spelling skills. We just started so I can't tell you if it's worked yet or not.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #1653
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
I know he struggles with spelling still, but can read all words without a problem, he just can't spell them..
Hello! My son is also in 5th grade and still struggles with spelling. Two years ago we started using "Reading Works" and it has really helped. You can read more about it here.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #1654
itsheresomewhere
Mouseketeer

antree,

All About Spelling has helped my DS. It is a good program.
itsheresomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #1655
antree
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone, I'm going to look in to them and see what one is best for us.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #1656
TBGOES2DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
Thank you for the responses. We live in NJ. My son will be starting 5th grade. I have been home schooling him since the beginning. I spoke with the public school twice in the last 4 years and they told me they have nothing to do with home schooling and they didn't have to help me at all. So I never called them back.
I have been doing K12 independent for 2 yrs now. I know he struggles with spelling still, but can read all words without a problem, he just can't spell them..
I too just want to make sure I'm doing a good job. I worry every time a new year starts that I am teaching him right.
He panics under pressure, but does great in all the quizzes. So I'm pretty sure I doing good..
5th grade starts a different school this year, so I'm wondering if I should contact them and see what they say, or do I really have too I'm so confused. I just want to be doing right by my son.
Hi, we are trying something different this year, but I used K12 independently for 7 years (K-6). One of my DDs worked pretty independently with spelling from grade 3 and up. She is an okay speller - not great. My 2nd dd I went over the words with her. She is a pretty good speller. I think it really helps to go over the rules or patterns with the kids when they get a list. Otherwise, sometimes they don't even notice.

AsMo 9/06 FD_AsMo 01/08_POP 09/08 FD_POP 12/09 MVMCP & FD_POR 10/10 MNSSHP & FD_ POR 11/11 FD_POR 12/12 FD_No trip 2013 _POP 05/14

TBGOES2DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #1657
Disney_Fanatic25
Mouseketeer

Hi all I'm not a homeschooler but I would like to supplement with history and science. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd and 4th grader? My 4th grader really loves the human body and wants to be a doctor. My daughter loves animals. I've thought of homeschooling but at the moment its not the best solution for my family but I want to add on to what they are learning. I hope I'm asking in the right place. Thanks!

Disney_Fanatic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #1658
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Fanatic25 View Post
Hi all I'm not a homeschooler but I would like to supplement with history and science. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd and 4th grader? My 4th grader really loves the human body and wants to be a doctor. My daughter loves animals. I've thought of homeschooling but at the moment its not the best solution for my family but I want to add on to what they are learning. I hope I'm asking in the right place. Thanks!
Sonlight science is a lot of fun, you can have multiple ages working together. Different core levels have different topics so you should be able to find ones that interest you.
Another option to look in to is Apologia...it's a science curriculum that's set up for homeschooling so you don't need a separate teacher manual.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1659
Disney_Fanatic25
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy

Sonlight science is a lot of fun, you can have multiple ages working together. Different core levels have different topics so you should be able to find ones that interest you.
Another option to look in to is Apologia...it's a science curriculum that's set up for homeschooling so you don't need a separate teacher manual.
Thanks I will look into both of those.

Disney_Fanatic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #1660
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Sonlight has a lot of experiments and you can buy the inexpensive kit with most of the supplies. The books can be checked out of the library or otherwise borrowed if you don't want to buy it all. Finally, look into a used lesson plan and save money that way. But it is a lot of fun! My favorite elementary science program.....
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #1661
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Has anyone ever taught catechism at home? DD has been going to PSR, but she isn't learning anything. Her first day of the year is tomorrow and we are seriously thinking of sending her just to get the book we have already paid for and doing the rest at home. Heck, the past 2 years they never even opened the book! She could learn something just by reading the book. Instead, they only seem to watch stupid movies and do crafts. She used to love PSR until last year. I am guessing it won't be any better this year. I have no problem with the books they use, but they don't use them.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to teach that at home too, but it is looking like I need to.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #1662
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
Has anyone ever taught catechism at home? DD has been going to PSR, but she isn't learning anything. Her first day of the year is tomorrow and we are seriously thinking of sending her just to get the book we have already paid for and doing the rest at home. Heck, the past 2 years they never even opened the book! She could learn something just by reading the book. Instead, they only seem to watch stupid movies and do crafts. She used to love PSR until last year. I am guessing it won't be any better this year. I have no problem with the books they use, but they don't use them.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to teach that at home too, but it is looking like I need to.
We do...but my daughter is only pre-k. We are using the book through Seton homeschool. It is very orthodox and kinda rigorous. It is good, I just think a little much for the age of my daughter. I have heard great things about Catholic Heritage as well. If you paid for the book (I don't know what PSR is) I would say go get it and see if it will work for you.
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1663
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
We do...but my daughter is only pre-k. We are using the book through Seton homeschool. It is very orthodox and kinda rigorous. It is good, I just think a little much for the age of my daughter. I have heard great things about Catholic Heritage as well. If you paid for the book (I don't know what PSR is) I would say go get it and see if it will work for you.
I looked at some of the offerings out there and they did seem a bit much. The one they use at PSR (Parish School Religion) used to be called CCD in our area, is by Loyola Press. It is colorful and seems easy to use. My DH seems to think he won't need the teacher's manual after all his years of Catholic school. DD is going to go to soft ball practice to night instead of PSR and I think she will go next week, get the book and then probably not go back. Thanks for your info.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #1664
jkjjhuddle
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I am new to homeschooling. We started homeschooling in January of 2012. We just began is 4th grade year in August. I do not know if this is where I should post this, but where can I find information about Disney Homeschooling days and when do they typically announce the dates? Any help is welcomed!
POFQ May 2005
Star Island May 2004
jkjjhuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #1665
blueferral
Mouseketeer

Hi all,

Dad here. I'm home schooling my eldest son in 1st grade. We did k5 with the k-12 program last year. Didn't care for K-12, it wasn't proper home school, it was online school district. Not sure if we didn't like the curriculum or the teacher. This year its real home school.

We are using time4learning. He is really enjoying the reading and math. He is really "getting" the phonics/reading lessons and flying through the math.

Best of all, no admin to deal with for our Disney Vacation next week. (I used to teach HS biology )

Our youngest is going to k4 at our local church half a day. He will do k5 there as well. I learned that teaching the Krebs cycle is a lot easier than teaching phonics.

My hat is off to all you Moms out there. Staying home and taking care of the boys is more work than I was expecting. Note to self: go thank Mom for putting up with me and the brothers!

DIS DAD #695
blueferral is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: