Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1636
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of the advice! He's able to do the material (excluding Apologia science but I'm not going to use it anymore). We use Bob Jones for our phonics. I read little stories and ask questions afterwards, he does any paperwork there on his own. He's a grade ahead in math, we use Abeka 1st grade for math. He can also do that on his own. It seems as if I'm not standing or sitting right there he gets so easily distracted wondering what I'm doing.

I think the main issue is I'm setting unrealistic goals everyday. I think I'm trying to make school like a traditional school would. I preached on not doing that for so long and turned around and started expecting it!
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1637
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheMouse12302 View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread!!!! I homeschooled ds for pre-k and at the beginning of the month we started kindergarten. It's been quite a challenge daily for me. My son absolutely loves homeschooling and I love teaching him. I am having difficulty finding a way to balance everything. My son needs a lot of my guidance right now but my dd (6 months) is also very needy. She is very fussy during school. I've tried working around her naps, sleeping in (thought we were waking up earlier),and doing 45 minutes of school in the morning and 45 minutes at night. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to do evening school with him because I'm looking for a part time evening job. How do you ladies balance school, babies, and housework? I feel I'm tugged in so many directions at the moment and I'm not getting anything accomplished. Do you guys have a daily schedule? I want to provide my ds with the best education that I possibly can. Thanks so much!!!
Quote:
Thank you for all of the advice! He's able to do the material (excluding Apologia science but I'm not going to use it anymore). We use Bob Jones for our phonics. I read little stories and ask questions afterwards, he does any paperwork there on his own. He's a grade ahead in math, we use Abeka 1st grade for math. He can also do that on his own. It seems as if I'm not standing or sitting right there he gets so easily distracted wondering what I'm doing.

I think the main issue is I'm setting unrealistic goals everyday. I think I'm trying to make school like a traditional school would. I preached on not doing that for so long and turned around and started expecting it!
I fed many a baby while reading aloud. Math can be done next to you on the couch, or in the kitchen, or whatever. Baby will start being able to play with stuff in the next few month, which will help.
I found babies to be much easier to homeschool with than toddlers. Best homeschooling investment with toddlers is a bunch of baby gates!
Our little ones grow up thinking they are doing school too, because they color or whatever during school time. They don't even know what brick and mortar schools do!
It will get easier as you get into a rhythm. I'd try to get everything done in one chunk, which shouldn't be more than 2 hours total (and probably less.)
We school in the afternoon, because that's what naturally works best for us.
Do whatever works best for you!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #1638
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so glad I found this thread!!!! I homeschooled ds for pre-k and at the beginning of the month we started kindergarten. It's been quite a challenge daily for me. My son absolutely loves homeschooling and I love teaching him. I am having difficulty finding a way to balance everything. My son needs a lot of my guidance right now but my dd (6 months) is also very needy. She is very fussy during school. I've tried working around her naps, sleeping in (thought we were waking up earlier),and doing 45 minutes of school in the morning and 45 minutes at night. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to do evening school with him because I'm looking for a part time evening job. How do you ladies balance school, babies, and housework? I feel I'm tugged in so many directions at the moment and I'm not getting anything accomplished. Do you guys have a daily schedule? I want to provide my ds with the best education that I possibly can. Thanks so much!!!
One thing that helped me when I had a baby while homeschooling was to set up a work box system. The little bit of planning and assembling the night before paid off the next day. If I was unavailable for a few minutes my ds could still get out the next thing and keep moving ahead.

That said, he was a couple of grades higher. For homeschooling with a baby for K and gr 1 I had good luck waiting until nap time. Soon, you should be able to get your baby down to one longer nap ( for my kids it was usually 12-3 pm) and homeschool then.

Most of all try not to stress and enjoy your kiddos too. If you don't get to everything this year there's always next year. Once they learn how to read most other concepts are repeated the to some extent each year.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1639
TBGOES2DISNEY
DIS Veteran

I think one of the things about homeschooling with babies is realizing your house is gonna be a mess and things are going to be crazy, but you can do it. Just take it one step at a time and try not to fuss about the details. It's not easy. I also think babies are easier than toddlers. Toddlers get into everything! Unfortunately, I have an open floor plan and the rooms cannot be easily gated off. My babies nap for about an hour at a time. Only one kid has taken the occasional 2 hour nap. To the poster who mentioned these things, you are very lucky!

We try to pick up in the morning before school, at lunch, after school, and before bed. I also try to have a plan. And the older your kids get, they can work independently for longer periods of time.

If getting a part time job in the evening is unavoidable, then just take things slow to avoid burnout. I can't imagine having to leave for an outside job and homeschool, take care of the house, and my kids and toddler.

You'll feel more confident homeschooling the longer you do it too.

AsMo 9/06 FD_AsMo 01/08_POP 09/08 FD_POP 12/09 MVMCP & FD_POR 10/10 MNSSHP & FD_ POR 11/11 FD_POR 12/12 FD_No trip 2013 _POP 05/14

TBGOES2DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #1640
kc10family
Fly Chick

Day one- not so bad
Day two- ok but I was not feeling well
Day Three- we are ahead of schedule!!!!!
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #1641
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:

Break out of the mold. DS is ahead of the game and doing fine. Just an FYI mine is 6, and still can't focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10family View Post
Day one- not so bad
Day two- ok but I was not feeling well
Day Three- we are ahead of schedule!!!!!

We are on week 3, of a very crazy year so glad we hs and can take time off for family to visit, and we are getting ready for typhoon # 16 Thankfully we have school to keep the kids busy when stuck inside

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #1642
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
We did a really cool experiment today with Ivory soap. Here is a link if anyone is interested!
We did this in June. My kids loved it. My son spent days doing the experiment over and over. Everyone that came over got to see it. He still will do it every now and then.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1643
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=chris31997;45911582] Break out of the mold. DS is ahead of the game and doing fine. Just an FYI mine is 6, and still can't focus

I think (from experience) expecting a 5/6 yo to be able to focus and do work on their own is unreasonable. Some can, most can't. I went to the Dr. when my son was 8 because he couldn't/wouldn't focus unless I was there. Thankfully my Dr. is a friend of mine and tells it like it is. I asked "Am I expecting too much?". She said "Yup. Some kids (usually boys) can't be expected to do that until middle school." Now her son was exactly like mine and she said she had to sit with him every night while he did his homework, or it wouldn't get done.

That being said, he is now going into 5th and he does a much better job of working alone. Some days he still struggles and I stay in the room to guide him, most days he does OK. Not as fast/efficient as I think he should, but he gets it done.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #1644
JoanneDisFan
Mouseketeer

Today become the day. After debating all sides, we pulled my daughter out of the charter school and tomorrow will be our first day of homeschool. Still figuring out curriculum, but happy we are taking this step.

Dec 2005- AS Movies, Sept 2008- Free Dining AS Movies, Oct 2011- Coronado Springs, Sept 2013-Free Dining Caribbean Beach,
(Me) (DH) (DD14) (DS 3)
JoanneDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #1645
miami305
Mouseketeer

Bump!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #1646
antree
DIS Veteran

I read some people test their child to see where he or she is, if they are at their grade level or higher/lower. My question is what do you use to test your child?

Thanks for any help.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #1647
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
I read some people test their child to see where he or she is, if they are at their grade level or higher/lower. My question is what do you use to test your child?

Thanks for any help.
What we do is have our kids take SAT tests along with a private school here. They let our kids go in (paying for testing, of course) to take the tests. In our state (LA), the public schools do LEAP testing and rely greatly on that. I for one, do not. For instance, last year my 7th grader did K12 w/ Louisiana Virtual Charter Academy was scoring well all year, (even doing 8th grade Pre-Algebra) and only scored basic on the LEAP test. He had to take it b/c the state requires all public school students to take it (LAVCA is considered public school). I KNOW that he is above "basic". He's always scored well on SAT's. We took him out of K12 and doing the same curriculum he's been in since preschool. He is now in 8th and doing all 9th grade classes (including Algebra 1) and 2 10th grade classes, so far he's made all 100's on his quizzes. He's like a little sponge and soaks it all up. So, having said all that...I don't necessarily think testing for every child is going to be the "proof" that a student is learning at his level.

And according to my sister who teaches 7th grade in public schools, even my 5th grader is above the level of her students. ...and that's why we homeschool and use private school. LA schools are not that great.
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #1648
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree

Thanks for any help.
Here in NH all we have to do is have a certified teacher evaluate their portfolio and "talk" to the child. I think that is too subjective. We can also implement standardized testing, either by taking them into the school and having them take the NECAP (New England standardized test) or implement our own, approved by the district. I have heard that we can use some California based program which I could proctor myself. I will be taking my son into the school and having it done there. I really want to feel comfortable that I am doing an efficient job as a homeschool mom, seeing this is my first year and he is in 7th grade.
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #1649
jahber
DIS Veteran

I'm not too worried about a standardized test just yet because my daughter (3rd grade) has never taken one. We follow a more classical model of narration, explaining, or demonstrating what you've learned, which does not translate well to standardized tests. They wouldn't show my daughter's abilities well at all. And my son (K) won't take them either until he HAS to. Then we'll fiddle around with filling in bubbles and deciphering test question formats.
That said, if my DD had been in the public school system previously and had received their rigorous testing training (for the FCAT, which I myself taught to as a teacher), I probably would consider taking her to my local non-traditional or private school on testing day. Just to see how she's doing compared to her peers.
But personally, the further I can distance myself from the FCAT nonsense, the better!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1650
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

[QUOTE=Nicolepa;45911899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
Break out of the mold. DS is ahead of the game and doing fine. Just an FYI mine is 6, and still can't focus

I think (from experience) expecting a 5/6 yo to be able to focus and do work on their own is unreasonable. Some can, most can't. I went to the Dr. when my son was 8 because he couldn't/wouldn't focus unless I was there. Thankfully my Dr. is a friend of mine and tells it like it is. I asked "Am I expecting too much?". She said "Yup. Some kids (usually boys) can't be expected to do that until middle school." Now her son was exactly like mine and she said she had to sit with him every night while he did his homework, or it wouldn't get done.

That being said, he is now going into 5th and he does a much better job of working alone. Some days he still struggles and I stay in the room to guide him, most days he does OK. Not as fast/efficient as I think he should, but he gets it done.

So there is hope DH is not much in giving hope that DS will be able to focus anytime soon I really don't expect him to focus on anything for longer than a minute or two, except legos. Go figure

Glad there is hope and you have a dr friend who will tell you as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post

Thanks for any help.

I use christian liberty press for standard testing but they also have a placement testing option. I believe you can do the placement online, not sure though. I know the standard testing can be done online and you get results alomst right away.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: