Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #151
bear74
DIS Veteran
 
bear74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: D. S. Texas
Posts: 17,648

I'm in. We started Homeschooling DD 7 in kindergarden. She is in 2nd grade this year. The main question I am getting latley is if I am going to keep homeschooling after the twins are born. I told them of course.
__________________
Jennifer DHDD 11, DD 6, 3 & 3
In God we Trust
'02 POFQ, '06 CB. '08 & '09 POP. '11 POR. '14 All Star Sports
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #152
MissChris
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 126

I love that face Polkadot, I'll be practicing it in the mirror as soon as I'm done here

We live in NYC and I think most families have two parents working and I don't see many homeschoolers, I don't even usually see many parents in the park with smaller children during the week, most kids have nannies or daycare. I even tried to get in touch with our local homeschool group but no one ever got back to me. I'm not sure it exists anymore. Looks like NC is the place to be .

So I've decided to not worry about curriculum this year. I have a small tendency to get ahead of myself, (really, I can totally control it ) and I realized that right now its more important for her to be excited about learning so we're doing our half hour a day of "school" time and we're spending the time reading fun stories and playing word games. We're already enjoying ourselves more.
__________________
Miss Chris

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #153
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyDizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
I didn't realize there were so many from NC on this thread -- we should organize a h/s get-together. Hmm. Where would we go?

Oh, okay -- let's go to Disney! It's the only logical choice, after all...

If I could pick up and move anywhere it would be NC. *sigh* Alas, I am stuck in Utah (of all places) for the foreseeable future. It's quite lovely and we're knocking off all the National Parks on the weekends (We have 9 or 10 within a days drive) but I do miss it back East. I wish I was close enough to drive the kids to Grandma's for the weekend! My husbands job is going to keep us out here for a few more years.

There are a LOT of homeschoolers out here but they tend to be uber-conservative and all share the same religion (Mormon - We're not). I love the people out here but we don't really "fit" any of the groups and are very much on our own! My 8-year-old doesn't have a single friend out here and I find that a challenge. I, for the first time ever, really AM worried about socialization. We've been out here for a year now. He will meet kids his own age but they are VERY busy with their own Church activities. The 2 kids his age in our neighborhood were running down the street the other day yelling the F-word at everyone. Now, I'm pretty easy going but I think that is uncalled for in an 8-year-old. Especially since their parents were on the front porch. We live in a very nice neighborhood but most everyone is a lot younger than us with younger children.

We also have a new baby who was born premature and spent the summer in NICU. So, that has kept us from getting out, too. I'm just really hoping and praying that we find a way to fit in and find a few friends. But without changing who we are. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Also, I feel I should say the people out here are very nice. We just don't share a lot of the same beliefs. I offended a whole group of homeschoolers when I brought a Starbucks to a meeting. They asked me not to bring coffee or tea to the meetings. I felt terrible but at the same time I'm not giving up coffee just to fit in. It wasn't like I brought a beer or something. I didn't go back. We don't drink and are fairly conservative so we have a decent relationship with our neighbors but I worry about my son.

Any advice?
__________________
Me DH DS12 DD3!

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #154
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!
 
polkadotsuitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,921

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
It's quite lovely and we're knocking off all the National Parks on the weekends (We have 9 or 10 within a days drive) but I do miss it back East. I wish I was close enough to drive the kids to Grandma's for the weekend! My husbands job is going to keep us out here for a few more years.
That's one thing I do miss about living up North -- the part of NC we live in (smack in the middle) is fairly "vanilla" and not any of the grand parks and views that other parts of the country have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
There are a LOT of homeschoolers out here but they tend to be uber-conservative and all share the same religion (Mormon - We're not). I love the people out here but we don't really "fit" any of the groups and are very much on our own! My 8-year-old doesn't have a single friend out here and I find that a challenge. I, for the first time ever, really AM worried about socialization.
I know that feeling. It took us a while to find the right fit -- and we ended up joining a couple different local groups. Each one scratches a different "itch."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
The 2 kids his age in our neighborhood were running down the street the other day yelling the F-word at everyone. Now, I'm pretty easy going but I think that is uncalled for in an 8-year-old. Especially since their parents were on the front porch.
Yee-ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
We also have a new baby who was born premature and spent the summer in NICU.
Congrats on your little princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
I'm just really hoping and praying that we find a way to fit in and find a few friends. But without changing who we are. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Yes. With one of the first co-ops we joined, I felt like I was a definite outsider. During the mom breaks, I was trying to strike up a conversation with the gal sitting next to me and she literally turned her back on me and started talking to the woman on the other side of her. Even in one of the current groups we're in (our "primary" group), it's a fairly tight clique -- of which I'm not a part. But I've found about three other "renegades" who connect with me, so it's possible. Just keep showing up, being who you are, being friendly, and not taking things personally. Your son will naturally gravitate to one or two kids he likes. And the beauty of homeschooling is -- they don't have to be his exact age, either! One of my sons has a good buddy who's two years younger, and my oldest son hangs out with a group of boys of which he's the youngest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
I offended a whole group of homeschoolers when I brought a Starbucks to a meeting. They asked me not to bring coffee or tea to the meetings.
This, I don't get! I didn't realize coffee was taboo? Granted, I drink mainly decaf, but I gotta have my cup of comfort.

Hang in there. It can feel isolating sometimes, but you'll find your spot. Sounds like you've had a lot of other stuff on your plate this summer to focus on! It'll work out.
__________________
polkadotsuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #155
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,409

Quote:
This, I don't get! I didn't realize coffee was taboo? Granted, I drink mainly decaf, but I gotta have my cup of comfort.
Yes, Mormons don't drink coffee or tea or eat chocolate (I know, gasp!). our neighbors who were Mormon used carob chips in everything, but they never got bent out of shape over us drinking tea or anything. Some of them would drink decaf since it's the caffeine that supposed to be at issue.

If you were going to a Mormon space, I would say that it's only polite to honor their belief system, although they should also take the responsibility to politely forewarn folks to the rules. If it were not a Mormon space and it is an open group, I'd probably still show up with my coffee in hand. Might not make friends that way, though...
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #156
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyDizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
Yes, Mormons don't drink coffee or tea or eat chocolate (I know, gasp!). our neighbors who were Mormon used carob chips in everything, but they never got bent out of shape over us drinking tea or anything. Some of them would drink decaf since it's the caffeine that supposed to be at issue.

If you were going to a Mormon space, I would say that it's only polite to honor their belief system, although they should also take the responsibility to politely forewarn folks to the rules. If it were not a Mormon space and it is an open group, I'd probably still show up with my coffee in hand. Might not make friends that way, though...
Well, it was supposedly an open group. Open to all religions and people. We met at a park in my neighborhood. I actually was really put out by the request since not all the members of the group were LDS. One of the other Mom's just rolled her eyes. She left the group and I never saw her again. I actually had no idea coffee and tea were a problem. But, it doesn't matter now...I never went back to that group! I kind of think you look after you and I'll look after me. And as for me, I NEED my coffee.

I didn't see the issue. We were at a public park and it wasn't like I offered any to anyone. Oh well. Live and learn. We just moved on. We have yet to find another group, though. It's mostly my fault. I'm hesitant to get involved with a group out here without knowing the dynamics first.

We'll get it together though. I love this thread. I get more information off here than many other places!
__________________
Me DH DS12 DD3!

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #157
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran
 
gerberdaisy1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
I'm just really hoping and praying that we find a way to fit in and find a few friends. But without changing who we are. Has anyone been in a similar situation?


Any advice?
Hi, I was praying for us to find the right group too. A new ice rink opened up and offered a home school class. We signed up. We were all pretty much new to ice skating. It has been such a blessing. It seems that since we were all new to the group we all bonded great. It has been our unspoken goal to always include newcomers and make them feel just as part as the rest of us. It is amazing. I pray that you will find a similar group for your family. (We are a very multicultural group in every aspect.)
gerberdaisy1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #158
my*2*angels
DIS Veteran
 
my*2*angels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,183

Don't give up! This is our first year of hsing and I was worried when we joined the group here! This is a VERY small town and I didn't know how welcoming they would be. However, it has been WONDERFUL!! It is at a church, but there are MANY different religions represented and everyone seems to get along FINE! They were all so friendly and it has been an AMAZING experience. So please keep trying, you will eventually find one that is the right fit!
__________________
Me, Mindy and dh
DD8 DD5 DD2m
my*2*angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #159
MomofSixinSC
Mouseketeer
 
MomofSixinSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the north-eastern west part of South Carolina
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChris View Post
So I've decided to not worry about curriculum this year. I have a small tendency to get ahead of myself, (really, I can totally control it ) and I realized that right now its more important for her to be excited about learning so we're doing our half hour a day of "school" time and we're spending the time reading fun stories and playing word games. We're already enjoying ourselves more.
Editted becasue my big fingers hit something and removed the first part of my thought: Have you thought of doing Five in a Row? Might be the perfect blend of "doing school" andreading together for you. I did it with my olders when theyy were young and we all really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to doing with my youngest (with the oldest's help) when she starts "school".

Last edited by MomofSixinSC; 09-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.
MomofSixinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #160
Michelle and crew
I can't believe this might be our last trip to Disney together. The boys are growing up and will be moving on. Breathe deep.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 771

Disney dizzy, that is so hard. I lived in Utah for a short bit and it was hard being a non mormon there. Noone ever yelled at me for coffed, though. The LDS folks here are not hardcore like that.

We found our first friends at a YMCA swimming class for homeschoolers. One person, also new, was friendly. Cliques abound, and I find that I have to fight not to fall into that too. I am always so thrilled to see my friends too!

Good luck in finding a group to fill the gap.

I am so not ready to start. We had the best weekend ever, DS16 starts his college class next week, we have to get his license taken care of...the never ending list. DS13 had a terrible time with algebra last year, and I am still debating going back to reinforce, and then going to algebra 2 rather than geometry. Is there any reason they are usually done in that order?

DS11 just loves his work, and is easy. I still don't want to start!!!

Co Op starts today, and it is a pain and politics, but the only game in town. We have a group of about 30 highschoolers and that makes it worthwhile.

Last edited by Michelle and crew; 09-07-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Michelle and crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #161
antree
DIS Veteran
 
antree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,655

Does anyone have the website for the Disney books on Epcot and the countries, that some of the home-schoolers were using for school?

Thanks
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #162
ethansmommy
Disney Planner
 
ethansmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 382

Hello everyone. I am considering home schooling my son starting next year (he will be starting kindergarten) and I dont know where to start. We live in NY and I am not sure how things work in our state. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to start or does anyone have any advice for me? The main reason I am considering this is because my son was bullied last year in Pre-k. It wasnt just name calling or not sharing it was physical attacks in Pre-k!!! I never would have thought that I would go to pick up my son and find him with a huge bump and cut on his forehead because a little boy decided to hit him in the head with a toy. Another thing that was shocking was the language that was being used by this little boy. Needless to say the school was less than helpfull and it has really made me think about homeschooling. So please if anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.
__________________
Wife and mom to my guys: (DH) (DS8)

"Every story has an end, but in life every ending is just a new begining."


Past Trips: Jan '08-WL, April '08-AKL, Sept '08-WL,
Jan '09-WL, May '09-off-site, Nov '09-Poly, Nov '10-WLV, Nov '11-WL
Future Trips: Nov '13-WL
ethansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #163
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,781

When is your next trip?

We are going in October.

I wouldn't mind meeting but I think we are from all over. I am in the Charlotte area.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
I didn't realize there were so many from NC on this thread -- we should organize a h/s get-together. Hmm. Where would we go?

Oh, okay -- let's go to Disney! It's the only logical choice, after all...

__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #164
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!
 
polkadotsuitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,921

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmommy View Post
Hello everyone. I am considering home schooling my son starting next year (he will be starting kindergarten) and I dont know where to start. We live in NY and I am not sure how things work in our state. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to start or does anyone have any advice for me?
Check out your state laws here. It's a broad overview -- from there, I'd branch off and find local peeps to get started. Have fun!
__________________
polkadotsuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #165
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!
 
polkadotsuitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,921

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
When is your next trip?

We are going in October.

I wouldn't mind meeting but I think we are from all over. I am in the Charlotte area.

Dawn
Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to make it down until next fall. I'm having serious withdrawal, too!

You're right about being from all over -- I've "met" a lot of Carolinians here on the DIS, and we seem to reach from mountains to sea, South and North Carolina. Hope to run into you some time -- maybe we'll give you a shout when we're over in the Charlotte area; our boys are about the same age.
__________________
polkadotsuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: