Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #1576
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post
Does anyone else ever get homeschool burnout? I am feeling so torn as to whether or not homeschooling is really the right thing for us right now. I love it, I really do. However, we are about to move to a town with a great school district, and part of me is tempted to send them off to school. I think I'm just tired, and stressed with the move, but I thought maybe some of y'all would have a good way to stave off the burnout. DH really thinks we should just continue on with homeschooling, and supplement with other activities once we move, which I know will be a big help since we've not really had anything to supplement with down here. Thanks.
I'd think about why you are homeschooling. I have a friend that homeschool her children for 5 years. Then they moved into a super school district and they are all going to PS next year. Her motives to homeschool was for a quality education: something she now sees will happen in her new ps. But everyone has different motives.

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #1577
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
Plus, remember if you send them to school you are going to spend almost as much time as you do now on homework. Keep it up, once your move is over you will be ready to begin again.
What are your reasons behind sending him vs keeping him home. I have one in school and 2 home. Every time my duh tells me we should send my middle one to school I ask him why. His response is always, "so you can have a break". I remind him that while I'd have my time free from 9-3. I'd still sen at least 3 hours a day on homework. Not only that, but I'd have them when we are all tired. No thank you.

I don't know what ages you are working with, but if they are 3rd grade or older think about how you can make them more independent, to free yourself up. Last year my 4th grader ( who is not self motivated or independent) did Math, Science, Grammar all by himself. If he needed help I was there, but he was responsible for his book work. Together we did Bible, literature, memory work, spelling and history. That usually took about 1.5 hours.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #1578
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Does anyone else ever get homeschool burnout? I am feeling so torn as to whether or not homeschooling is really the right thing for us right now. I love it, I really do. However, we are about to move to a town with a great school district, and part of me is tempted to send them off to school. I think I'm just tired, and stressed with the move, but I thought maybe some of y'all would have a good way to stave off the burnout. DH really thinks we should just continue on with homeschooling, and supplement with other activities once we move, which I know will be a big help since we've not really had anything to supplement with down here. Thanks.
I think we all do feel burnout. It is hard. When you feel that burnout, time to take a step back and evaluate. See what you are doing, what works, what doesn't work, why did you start, what are you struggling with, what can you change up.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #1579
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the advice. This is the 1st time we've taken a super extended break from homeschooling, and that may be part of why I'm going crazy. TOO much time on our hands! Usually, we just take breaks as needed but this year, I decided with the move coming it might be easier to just let them have some extended time off. I'm hoping that once we move and get settled back in, I will feel better about things. I really do love homeschooling, and I do feel like they've had an awesome education at home. I think I"m just tired/stressed with the upcoming move. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1580
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

My son has completed all the HWOT books, but he still needs lots of work on his cursive. This year I'd like to use his memory work for handwriting. Does anyone know of a font that is similar to HWOT? I'd like to be able to type it up and past it in a spiral notebook for him to copy.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #1581
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
My son has completed all the HWOT books, but he still needs lots of work on his cursive. This year I'd like to use his memory work for handwriting. Does anyone know of a font that is similar to HWOT? I'd like to be able to type it up and past it in a spiral notebook for him to copy.
We purchased Start Write and I'm able to type up anything in cursive or regular script. I can type up a short bit of copywork on Disney, their favorite animal or sports cars. You can darken the trace lines, lighten them, leave them dashed....etc.

It really is a GREAT program....we got ours at Rainbow Resource. Start Write

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #1582
miami305
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It all depends on why you are homeschooling. If you are moving to a city with a PS that has a challenging curriculum and small class sizes, then the quality of education isn't an issue. I strongly disagree with people saying your will spend 3 hours on homework! Even my middle school child in advanced classes doesn't spend 3 hours a day on homework. An hour for gradeschoolers and 2 hours for middle schoolers who have a big test or project due.

I am actively homeschooling DS as he is advanced for his age. I have low confidence that we will find a PS to meet his needs. Next year, we will search for a private school to meet his needs. If we can not find or afford one, then we will continue to homeschool.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1583
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
I strongly disagree with people saying your will spend 3 hours on homework! Even my middle school child in advanced classes doesn't spend 3 hours a day on homework. An hour for gradeschoolers and 2 hours for middle schoolers who have a big test or project due.
The amount of homework will vary greatly with the school & student. My daughter is in gifted programs in 3rd grade she would have 2-3 hours of homework. In 4th & 5th 3-4 hours. Was this every night, no, but it was more often than I felt it should be and the biggest issue was we never knew when that would happen (didn't neccesarily go along with a big project being due). Because of this we always had to leave school nights totally open for the potential homework. She is a very studious child and does her work without reminders. 6th grade we had zero, and I mean zero homework.

For Middle school gifted program we have been told 3 hours nightly.

On the other hand, my younger son, I know (from experience) would not complete his classwork in class and therefore would have that, in addition to any homework that might be assigned. He would, without question have 3+ hours of homework a night. The kids at his school, regularly have over an hour of homework a day, plus big projects.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #1584
miami305
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
The amount of homework will vary greatly with the school & student. My daughter is in gifted programs in 3rd grade she would have 2-3 hours of homework. In 4th & 5th 3-4 hours. Was this every night, no, but it was more often than I felt it should be and the biggest issue was we never knew when that would happen (didn't neccesarily go along with a big project being due). Because of this we always had to leave school nights totally open for the potential homework. She is a very studious child and does her work without reminders. 6th grade we had zero, and I mean zero homework.

For Middle school gifted program we have been told 3 hours nightly.

On the other hand, my younger son, I know (from experience) would not complete his classwork in class and therefore would have that, in addition to any homework that might be assigned. He would, without question have 3+ hours of homework a night. The kids at his school, regularly have over an hour of homework a day, plus big projects.
I would change schools. Some teachers think tons of busy work equals advanced work. Maddening and counter productive. Quality, not quantity is the key to teaching Advanced children.

DD had one of the busy work teachers for 2nd semester. The woman sucked the fun out of The Hunger Games unit the class had already started. The class gave her a chance. After the teacher assigned a massive project over Springbreak, the class rebelled. All those advanced 6th graders told her in no uncertain terms how much they disliked her class. The class continued with creative group projects and no busy work. I think she got the hint.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #1585
miami305
Mouseketeer

You might want to check out Hoagies Gifted website for more information on gifted learning styles. Tons of helpful links!

DD 12 would have never had the free time to participate in church activities or teach herself how to create web pages if she had 3hrs of HW a night. For summer fun, she is learning App Inventor for Android.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #1586
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would change schools. Some teachers think tons of busy work equals advanced work. Maddening and counter productive. Quality, not quantity is the key to teaching Advanced children.
I agree its busy work. Changing schools wasn't really an option. For the full time gifted they take 5-6 schools and move the kids to one of the schools. There is at max, one class for every grade. Most of the classes are combined (1/2, 3/4, 5/6). She was actually at two of them. Both had teachers who gave little to no homework, and both had teachers who gave 3 hours a night. Although I will say the teacher she had for 4th/5th only upped the work when the middle schools said they needed to prepare them for 3 hours a night.

I finally got my husband to agree to hs my dd, but he gave the final decision up to dd. After a year of asking to be hs'd she can't decide. Last week she was sure she wanted to be hs'd. This week she wants to go to school.

Quote:
You might want to check out Hoagies Gifted website for more information on gifted learning styles. Tons of helpful links!

DD 12 would have never had the free time to participate in church activities or teach herself how to create web pages if she had 3hrs of HW a night. For summer fun, she is learning App Inventor for Android.
I agree it definitly makes it difficult to do church and sports. Fortunatly 1/2 our team is in the class and the coach is one of the parents so they are able to work around things.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #1587
Nox54
I chase my vinyl dreams.

I just found this thread. I've been trying to read through it but obviously it's pretty huge.
DD is 4 and we are seriously considering homeschooling, so if it's alright with everyone, I'd like to hang out in here with you super awesome people.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #1588
mks18412
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox54 View Post
I just found this thread. I've been trying to read through it but obviously it's pretty huge.
DD is 4 and we are seriously considering homeschooling, so if it's alright with everyone, I'd like to hang out in here with you super awesome people.
Welcome!
mks18412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #1589
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox54 View Post
Welcome to the homeschooling thread!

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #1590
Pollyanna Poppins
DIS Veteran

I have lurked these boards for years to cram information before a Disney trip and never joined. That is until today when I find homeschool and Disney together on one site. I couldn't resist not joining this thread so here I am. We have 3 in grades 2 4 and 6. Our curriculum includes Abeka-math, reading, and English, Mystery of History for history, science-Apologia, Handwriting by George-handwriting. I love David Barton's stuff esp. Drive Thru History. Vision Forum has great supplements as well. Just curious if anyone else is going to the Homeschool Days class in AK in October?
Pollyanna Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: